• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
I saw this reaction to the post-credits scene on Youtube, it's pretty wild how nuts people have been going over it.

I haven't seen this one yet, that's awesome. Warms my heart knowing how excited folks have been towards the reveal. ❤

Here are some more:

Seriously is it normal for American crowds to make noise like this at the cinema? I have never experienced anything like this for any movie in the UK. It's not socially acceptable to make noise when seeing a movie. Like, a laugh here and there or a polite clap at the end if it's particularly spectacular is what you get.

Yeah, it's standard behavior over here for kid/nerd movies. You must've missed the monthly threads on Era complaining about theater etiquette. lol

Actually one of the main reasons why I went to see the movie again yesterday was for the experience of watching how a packed theater would react to the jokes and the mid-credits scene after the Thursday showing didn't attract much of a crowd. It can be really endearing but also highly annoying depending on the movie and audience.

My theater reacted VERY enthusiastically to the mid-credit scene, and I'm so glad to have been a part of that. Makes me feel good knowing that there are so many Tails fans in my community. ^_^

Last edited:

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
...You realize sonic and friends have been to the real world multiple times in games right?

Like you played sa1 or 2? Or unleashed?
I consume just about every Sonic related media from games to even the physical comics, so I know plenty. Generally the primary Sonic related references in the games that take place in a real world setting are the characters themselves. Take out everyone but Eggman and Sonic in SA1 or Unleashed and you already aren't too far from what something like this movie accomplished. A normal setting that happens to feature the antics of Sonic characters.

It's the transplanting of multiple Sonic characters in the real life setting that establishes those games, and as an origin story the process getting there is gradual. I made the Pokemon comparison because the Pokemon are inherent to whatever world they're in. There's no disparity with a "Pokemon exclusive world" (outside of PMD) like there often is in Sonic media (comics, shows, even the games).

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it !

Cute film. Interesting sequel teases.

Derivative, and a bit too classic, but competently made, and people behind it cared.

Also in awe of the unbelievable design save and how awful the film would have been without it.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The whole movie I kept second-guessing myself on if the mushroom planet was a Mario reference.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this happens over and over in the movie in particular
when they take the elevator to the top of the building lol.

The entire counter point is that
he doesn't want to leave them so he keeps finding excuses to push it back.

It's heavily implied when he tries to say goodbye.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
While waiting for the movie's release for my region sweden, 19 feb, I see that this movie is dubbbed to swedish, so I have to see it late to get the english version

So this could be more popular than Detective Pikachu, for that movie were not dubbed for Scandinavia audience, so I'm surprised that Sonic is dubbed but not Pokémon!

TPC must have been either cheaping out or afraid of live-action dubbing?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Man I want someone to do a "Into the Sonic-Verse" short film now. You've got "Classic" Sonic, "Modern" Sonic, "Sonic Boom " Sonic, "Movie" Sonic, plus AoStH Sonic, SatAM Sonic, OVA Sonic, plus others I'm forgetting.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw some concept art from the movie on Twitter and oh lord.

EQ0hegbUYAI9HTJ

Aside from Tom being played by Chris Evans in this art, this super early Sonic design (or some variation of it) looks to be the origin of that godawful mask that was one of the earliest pieces of movie merch.

Movie-Sonic-653x400.jpg

But that's not all... we've got concept art of the fabled "lizard warrior" that was meant to be the foe after Sonic's power at the beginning of the film. BEHOLD!

EQ0i5lUU0AA3Vpb

Yeah, I'm glad they replaced it.

Apr 19, 2018
I'm not as well-versed in Sonic's OST discography as I should be, but......

.... was that lovely piano rendition of Green Hill Zone at the end when they were re-painting the walls the only instance of VGM callbacks in the movie?

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

.... was that lovely piano rendition of Green Hill Zone at the end when they were re-painting the walls the only instance of VGM callbacks in the movie?

There was one at the beginning of I think Sky Sanctuary, though my memory is fuzzy on that. Outside of that I don't recall much in the way of specific music references.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

The Paramount and Sega logos at the start have a snippet of an orchestral Green Hill Zone as well as the Sega chant, and the Sonic Mania intro theme plays during the Baby Sonic portion.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Not video game but
Eggman's theme is a recomposed medley of his aosth and Satam theme

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
No thats a massive massive stretch.

No it isn't.

The entire point is that he sees them as family because he hangs out with them all the time without them knowing. And he doesn't want to admit how much he cared about them. Those two things are literally said in the film. He also absolutely hates the new place he has to go to so no, him pushing back the deadline isn't a "massive" stretch.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Fun movie. I can't believe they got so much wrong with his original design but in the end they got so much right with the entire product - story, characters, design, even the music nods. And they didn't take many liberties with the Sonic franchise, they nailed a ton of things pulled straight from the game, in a real-world setting.

Like Robotnik's ship in the final battle, straight out of the game, and how Sonic defeated it by spinning at it repeatedly. Anddid anyone notice the street sign during the slow-mo in the San Francisco chase? ;)

For those who haven't seen it, be warned - it IS a kids movie. Sega fans will find it enjoyable because of what I said earlier but for older kids and those who aren't familiar with Sonic, the movie might play a bit young for them. Think the first Alvin and the Chipmunks movie.

Glad to see it getting a ton of buzz in the mainstream. A good Sonic movie is a nice surprise for everyone.

Oct 28, 2017
Fun movie. I can't believe they got so much wrong with his original design but in the end they got so much right with the entire product - story, characters, design, even the music nods. And they didn't take many liberties with the Sonic franchise, they nailed a ton of things pulled straight from the game, in a real-world setting.

Like Robotnik's ship in the final battle, straight out of the game, and how Sonic defeated it by spinning at it repeatedly. Anddid anyone notice the street sign during the slow-mo in the San Francisco chase? ;)

For those who haven't seen it, be warned - it IS a kids movie. Sega fans will find it enjoyable because of what I said earlier but for older kids and those who aren't familiar with Sonic, the movie might play a bit young for them. Think the first Alvin and the Chipmunks movie.

Glad to see it getting a ton of buzz in the mainstream. A good Sonic movie is a nice surprise for everyone.
Street sign?

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Street sign?

See above.

Also, I just posted this on the Gaming Forum thread but wanted to cross post here for everyone:

The writer of the Sonic movie, Josh Miller, hosts a podcast called Best Moves Never Made. They are currently doing a multi-part discussion on all the drafts and iterations of the Super Mario Bros. movie, leading up to the Sonic movie's release. They also give some insight into their process of writing Sonic, and how they avoided many of the bad decisions made during SMB's production.

Here's the link to the podcast:

anchor.fm

BEST MOVIES NEVER MADE • A podcast on Anchor

Join hosts STEPHEN SCARLATA (producer, Jodorowsky's Dune) and JOSH MILLER (writer, Sonic The Hedgehog) as they explore the most legendary movies never made joined by filmmakers and critics.

Also how ironic that this movie was in turnaround at Sony... Sony killed Sega, now Sony let the Sonic movie walk to Paramount.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Mega Drive
Nice! I'll have to keep an eye out for that on my third viewing.

See above.

Also, I just posted this on the Gaming Forum thread but wanted to cross post here for everyone:

The writer of the Sonic movie, Josh Miller, hosts a podcast called Best Moves Never Made. They are currently doing a multi-part discussion on all the drafts and iterations of the Super Mario Bros. movie, leading up to the Sonic movie's release. They also give some insight into their process of writing Sonic, and how they avoided many of the bad decisions made during SMB's production.

Here's the link to the podcast:

anchor.fm

BEST MOVIES NEVER MADE • A podcast on Anchor

Join hosts STEPHEN SCARLATA (producer, Jodorowsky's Dune) and JOSH MILLER (writer, Sonic The Hedgehog) as they explore the most legendary movies never made joined by filmmakers and critics.

Also how ironic that this movie was in turnaround at Sony... Sony killed Sega, now Sony let the Sonic movie walk to Paramount.

Listening to this on Spotify now, thanks!

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ben Schwartz mentions on the latest Comedy Bang Bang episode that the test footage they did to pitch the movie is going to be on the blu-ray.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Penders with this tea
twitter.com

Ken Penders on Twitter

“I'll never know the answer to this, but I wonder if the lack of Sonic's parents in the movie is a result of me featuring them in stories before anyone else. They just seemed like obvious characters necessary to the growth & development of Sonic.”

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I missed that but I did see near the beginning...

When baby Sonic got his map of various worlds, the top one was a Sega Saturn logo

Oh nice! I was looking ay rhat map for some Easter Eggs but missed that. My mind ignored any of the world that were already crossed off.

This movie oozes with game references. Like his bed was his car from Sonic Team Racing? The maracas? Looking at his watch while he waited? Loved all of it!

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Penders with this tea
twitter.com

Ken Penders on Twitter

“I'll never know the answer to this, but I wonder if the lack of Sonic's parents in the movie is a result of me featuring them in stories before anyone else. They just seemed like obvious characters necessary to the growth & development of Sonic.”
I was expecting complaining about the use of the Echidna tribe so this seems downright constrained in comparison.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Saw it today.

This was a better adaptation and better movie than Detective Pikachu.

Besides the owl which I had never heard of before and maybe that they could have gone further with Sonic's design and fixed his arm color too, everything in the movie was "yep, that's Sonic, doing Sonic things", as opposed to watching DP and being distracted by what the movie wasn't as a Pokemon movie.

I hope the both of them get more movies, with a direct sequel to Sonic and a Pokemon movie that can get it right in my eyes. But if Sonic wins in any measure of reception, it will be deserved.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I saw it last night — 9:40 PM on Friday / Valentine's Day — full crowd, mostly adult couples, one (1) boy child with his parents who LOOOOVED it.

Everyone else — we also laughed and enjoyed ourselves. I'm a huge lifelong Sonic fan so I'm mostly just happy to see the movie is solid, and I could nitpick a bunch of things I wish they'd added or emphasized differently. Overall I really liked it. It could've been better — it could've been much worse. Mario might have the better video game franchise but Sonic has the better movies!

It's about as good as Detective Pikachu, more or less. Pikachu looked better/cuter, but Sonic has the better voice/personality. Jim Carrey as Robotnik is obviously a much better villain, too.

For me, the biggest missed opportunity is that Sonic doesn't spin dash/spin attack as much as I wish he had. More than any of the lore things, like Chaos Emeralds or other characters or concepts, I wanted to see more of Sonic being acrobatic.

Even if you're only looking at the first Sonic the Hedgehog game, more than the "speed" of Sonic it's that he's like a hybrid of Mario and Pinball... that's what Sega seems to consistently misunderstand about how Sonic works, imo (and why Mania was so good).

There's a lot of him running straight ahead, but aside from the opening in Mobius/GHZ, there's not any loops or interesting pathways that Sonic travels, until the end (also in the trailers) of the Great Wall and the pyramids and downtown SF. (opportunity for any kind of "rolling around at the speed of sound" or City Escape reference).

My favorite example of him in a ball is in the house in the laundry, when he's hiding from the Badnik drones, then he rolls down... that looked AWESOME. He's also in a ball in the highway scene (in the trailers) and attacking Robotnik's ship at the end.

I liked the brief thing of Tom tossing Sonic as a basketball in the bar. Instead of playing darts, it would've been cooler to see Sonic and Tom playing pinball and then using those ideas later against Robotnik, like Tom batting Sonic with a paddle in downtown Green Hill. Or Sonic bowling with himself as the ball would've been funny.

Changes to the Lore that I LIKED:

—Emphasizing and contrasting the loneliness of Sonic and Robotnik was interesting.

—I like Sonic's more earnest and kid-like personality here. This is probably the 'sweetest' version of Sonic's personality ever

—I'm interested in Longclaw as Sonic's "Obi-Wan" guardian. She's barely in it, but I'd be down to learn more about her in IDW comics or something. I like the general concept of Sonic raised by an old owl.

—Robotnik and Sonic being from two different worlds. It makes sense that, over the course of the games, this version of Robotnik would eventually decide that he could take over all of Mobius and rule an entire planet, and then invade Earth as conquerer. It takes a lot of bending but there's a way to look at all of Sonic media as being one giant messy continuity where "everything happened" .... in this sense, this movie is very much "Sonic: Year One"

Things I Thought Were Strange

There were so many references to the Mushroom World... besides Mushroom Hill Zone, mushrooms aren't really a thing with Sonic... they are, obviously, a thing with Mario. Was the idea of trapping Robotnik here a sort of reference to Mario?? Why mushrooms???

—I don't really get why they gave him electric lightning powers? That's usually been associated with other speedsters like The Flash but it's never really been a thing with Sonic, but... whatever.

—I'm okay with rings being portals but I don't really get how that squares with how the regular magic rings operate in the game, kinda wish they'd made a connection somehow. Seems like they should've been Chaos Emeralds, or
it would've been cool if last thing we see Robotnik find on the Mushroom World is a Chaos Emerald which will allow him to escape

If Sonic has no friends, how does Tails know who he is?
I suppose we'll find out in a sequel which is almost guaranteed after the opening.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna take my wife to see it because she's a huge Sonic fan. My question for you:

How drunk do we need to be to get even remote enjoyment out of it?
I went sober with my 26 yo girlfriend (I'm 36) with no Sonic backgrounds beyond casual Sonic 1. We enjoy the movie A LOT

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't love the movie, but I enjoyed it and thought it was really cute. Jim Carrey was great and I liked all the little touches and nods they put in the movie.

You could tell it was crafted with love and care.

mrjohill

Oct 25, 2017
—I'm okay with rings being portals but I don't really get how that squares with how the regular magic rings operate in the game, kinda wish they'd made a connection somehow. Seems like they should've been Chaos Emeralds, or
it would've been cool if last thing we see Robotnik find on the Mushroom World is a Chaos Emerald which will allow him to escape

I mean think about how sonic is originally taken to bonus levels. He teleports with a big ring

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone think we will ever see the cut before the model change? Or at least a picture of what
Tails
looked like? My son and I saw it today and enjoyed it but both felt the scene where he is under the bleachers would have been a horror movie in the first style.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually my biggest negative personally is that it didn't have an environmentalist message which feels like missing the point.

I think an eventual sequel will get that approach looking how Eggman will seize that mushroon enviroment somehow

Saw this after being a longtime Sonic fan (not of everything just mean starting with the original Sega games), and so had to see what they finally did with his first film. I remember thinking there would surely be one in the 90s with the help of Jim Henson but it never came.

It was alright, and good to see Jim Carrey acting like his 90s movie self again. Although I feel like it was somewhat of a retread for James Marsden where he had another animal buddy in the film Hop.

Anyway it kind of reminded me of ALF with how they're both aliens from another planet, hiding out on earth with humans in their house while the government wishes to locate the alien.

I do wish it conveyed more of a message about looking after animals and the environment though as I felt it was there in the original games but there wasn't much in this apart from when he saved the tortoise.

There is a concept I find a bit conflicting with some Sonic media and is again shown in this film. In the original games he saves pigs and other animals, yet this movie (and some other media) has him eat chili dogs. Are we to assume these are a meat alternative of sorts or that he actually he isnt saving the pigs from Robotnik but taking them for his own slaughtering purposes? I tend to think whoever first gave him chili dogs didn't think that far into it (probably wasnt aware he even saves pigs), but I'm surprised someone hasnt picked up on the conflicting issue and done something about it to explain it better. I guess one good thing about it here is that he was shown to do it on earth and so it didn't suggest he had a slaughterhouse back on his own planet.

Anyway, I can see this movie possibly working as a prequel to the original games, as after this for whatever reason he goes back to his home planet and since leaving earth Robotnik has really started building structures of all sorts, polluting his world and enslaving Sonics friends.

I always thought Sonic food choices seems totally wrong.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I mean think about how sonic is originally taken to bonus levels. He teleports with a big ring

For sure. Dimension-hopping is definitely part of how rings have always been in Sonic. I just mean in the way rings give him power in the game, there seems like there was an opportunity to have that be a factor in the movie (ie, he gets hit by a drone and drops the rings and that's why he's able to take that damage).

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
I felt a bit disappointed the script (and those lines good god, he turned unfunny for that) didn't let Carrey be at his best. That scream from the trailer? Best of his in the movie, along that other detail I'll let you guess

good thing the sequel (as shown in the trailer lol) will take care of that. I hope he's in or I might not see it

Pretty mediocre movie that handled the franchise pretty well. Hope it's an all family hit cause the kids in the showing loved the hedgehog

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not only that!

Sonic 1 concept art (note the sun at the top):

3a0e503a66ded78007d022f9b5c53fef.png

SPOILER_510fu3vhl0h41.png

That is incredible.

Anyone think we will ever see the cut before the model change? Or at least a picture of what
Tails
looked like? My son and I saw it today and enjoyed it but both felt the scene where he is under the bleachers would have been a horror movie in the first style.

Supposedly a lot of the animation work wasn't done or only roughed in before the decision to change designs was made, so the trailers are the majority of the shots finished with the original design.

I read a rumor that appearance was originally very derivative of the original Movie Sonic design, but no idea how legitimate it is.

You know it just hit me that the ground bridge crumbling in the very intro after Sonic runs over it is a reference to the collapsing ledges in the game's Green Hill Zone? That seems so obvious, but I just missed it somehow.