• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
i liked it, though i wish there was more action and interesting locations. am i allowed to post stuff about the movie here with a spoiler tag?

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
does anyone else hope the mushroom planet was a reference to Mario? maybe when eggman comes back he'll talk about having to fight big turtles with 2 brothers or something. Platforming games cinematic universe with sonic, mario, crash, spyro.

Chibrou

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Been with my daughter of 5, she only knew sonic from far but she loved it, find sonic cute, friendly and badass.
Movie was entertaining without any slow moment or dumb decision/jokes, Carrey was top notch, had a great time and definitily surprised byt the result.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
So the target audience is all ages and not just a kid's movie?

It's a couple generations late if their target demographic is just kids.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So the target audience is all ages and not just a kid's movie?

It's a couple generations late if their target demographic is just kids.

Sonic was and still is an immensely popular video game franchise, even with kids still.

It helps that it's still the only non-Nintendo kid-focused gaming mascot worth anything to anyone.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Y'all gonna dump on my boy Knack like this?? for shame
giphy.gif

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently people are mad at Jim Carrey cause he basically said he wanted to fuck a woman reporter this morning? Haven't seen anything here but it pops up right when I google his name.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
It was surprisingly fun. Much, much better than Detective Pikachu if we are doing a comparison. Some of the jokes were so dumb, I couldn't help but laugh at.

Enrico Palazzo cameo absolutely made my day.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was alright -- not a disaster, but very much a kids/family movie of average quality. I thought it was a little weird that Sonic's powers were never really explained or established. But that's the whole movie in a nutshell -- not really grounded in the way that even a Marvel/DC movie is grounded. They don't feel the need to explain every little thing or ever justify some huge logical leaps.

For the most part, it's fun to see Jim Carrey back to being utterly ridiculous, and for all the corny kids' jokes there's some stuff that lands pretty well. I was so happy for Crazy Karl.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was good. The story is super thin and James Marsden is, as always, wildly uncharismatic and just kinda there the whole time but Ben Schwartz and Jim Carrey knock it out of the park. The Sonic character himself visually is a home run IMO, most definitely the absolute best and most expressive incarnation of the character one could possibly expect in a live-action adaptation. If you want a laugh after watching this movie, just try to imagine watching the whole thing with the old Sonic design. It's a riot, I swear

I think I also get what reviewers are saying about it "respecting the source material", because while there are a lot of the typical winkwinknudgenudge callouts you'd expect from a movie like this it does a surprisingly good job weaving in important elements from the video games without it feeling out of place or shoehorned in. My favorite is how Sonic goes "west" straight into the ocean and comments afterwards about how he hated it and how the salt water stings etc. etc. Cause Sonic always sank like a stone in water you see.

And of course, the ending stinger...

I was expecting Knuckles for some reason, especially considering the Echidna tribe we see at the very beginning, but Tails is fine too. And he looks damn good too.

It's not super amazing but it works in the same way Detective Pikachu worked, though if I'm being perfectly honest this movie has a way, way better script than DP.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Well I'll be damned.

Not only did I enjoy this movie, but I walked out kinda hyped for a sequel?

Better than Detective Pikachu imo.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Saw this in Dolby Atmos using the $4 T-Mobile deal. It looked and sounded very nice, but two separate pre-movie ads for how awesome Atmos was got kind of obnoxious.

I've seen a fair few of these "human and CG animal go on an adventure" movies, and you know how those roll, but I have to say this was easily one of the better ones. I think it helped that Tom adapts to Sonic pretty quickly and doesn't play straightman the whole time. They actually seem to like each other, which is usually saved for the last 10 minutes of this type of movie.

Speaking of CG, they need to reform as much of that animation/VFX team as they can in a hurry. We know the Nightmarehog wasn't really their fault (and cripes some of the shots would've been creepy with the old design), but this is easily some of the best "CG character in the real world" I've seen. That they pulled it off this well after radically changing his design (including things like adding gloves, which even get dirty as the film goes on) is just astounding, and they did a lot of "Sonic runs so fast he's in multiple places" early on to great effect. These people are good, and whoever let them go was a fool.

Overall, it was a fairly enjoyable movie, and as a fan, I wasn't let down the way I kind of figured I would be. There's a lot of little touches and easter eggs that show the people who worked on this care about the series. The only reference I think they missed is Robotnik calling Agent Stone "sniveling" or "snively" at some point, which doesn't happen.

Speaking of Robotnik, he threw me a little, since he's not really like any other incarnation. Maybe a mashup of Boom and the recent IDW comics, but even that's a bit of a stretch. Carrey definitely wasn't bad (in fact, he really seemed to put a lot into it), and of course this was his "origin story" and he goes crazy at the end, so it's not really a complaint, but it kind of puts into focus how well they nailed this slightly more innocent Sonic.

Other spoilery stuff:
Tails looked REALLY GREAT, but almost seemed like he was transplanted from the games directly. Like he wasn't "written for the movie", if that makes sense.

I really enjoyed how often Sonic curled up into a ball and rolled and bounced around. It looked very natural (all things considered) and added some bonus cuteness.

I liked Longclaw, for the 15 seconds we saw of her. I hope she survived. Also, Echidnas, huh? I wonder if Penders is going to start screaming about that, as if Sonic Adventure doesn't exist.

The bit with Sonic sort of "Force Lightning" pulling his power back was admittingly a little weird. Also, he presumably has dropped more than a single quill, but acted like that was the sole missing piece of his power... They very clearly wanted to save true Super Sonic for a hypothetical sequel. Which is fair, Super Sonic wasn't in Sonic 1.

Product placement was a bit heavy-handed. Like that lingering shot of Zillo, or literally reciting the Olive Garden slogan like it was a joke. It wasn't constant, but the few moments of it were shockingly blatant.

And now, answering the important question: Despite what Tyson Hesse said, you do sort of see Sonic's feet. But not exactly. Robotnik makes a digital recreation of one based on a shoe print, and at one point they pull off a passed-out Sonic's mismatched shoes and the vet woman says "Look at his poor feet." You sort of see through some holes in his socks. But I'm almost sure the original version was meant to have completely bare feet, based on her dialogue, and when Sonic pulls on the new red shoes, they make sure he does it out of frame. There you go, that's the answer, please don't tag me. I just knew someone would ask.

Overall, surprisingly good movie. Take the kids, or take yourself if you don't mind this sort of thing. The Atmos experience was, again, very nice.

Last edited:

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
This film is cuter than it has any right to be.

But Christ, Sonic fans are annoying as all hell. Theater was packed with 20-somethings, mostly male, just screaming, screeching and basically trying to do their own Rifftrax version of the movie in real time.

I'd say go for an EARLY matinee or don't go.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

But Christ, Sonic fans are annoying as all hell. Theater was packed with 20-somethings, mostly male, just screaming, screeching and basically trying to do their own Rifftrax version of the movie in real time.

I went for my 5 PM showing and there was about a dozen or so people, made for a nice viewing experience. Everyone was howling at Carrey any time he was on screen but not obnoxiously so.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm so sorry. That sounds awful.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Are the references throughout the movie limited to classic stuff or do we get some references to post Adventure games too?

It's mostly classic stuff, at least from my knowledge. Though there's some stuff not from the games that is in there as well.

I went for my 5 PM showing and there was about a dozen or so people, made for a nice viewing experience. Everyone was howling at Carrey any time he was on screen but not obnoxiously so.

This was my experience as well.

Georgeishon

â–² Legend â–²
Sep 19, 2018
The movie is great, I really enjoyed it. Left the theater with a big fat smile. Go watch it, you won't regret it.

The last scene was awesome.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was even better than I expected. I would definitely recommend it, especially to Sonic fans. Hell I think it's still at least decent even if you aren't into it, but there's definitely some cool references and easter eggs fans of the series would notice.

FUCKING HYPER POTIONS IN THE OPENING SEQUENCE!!! And Echidna!!! I popped off so hard in the theater

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Mmm, honestly I should've expected this to be the case for some showings knowing how the memelords are with Sonic but it never actually crossed my mind so thanks for the heads up.

Remember, there's nothing more cool than riffing with someone you like, but if someone tries to riff in public movie theater, that's no good.