• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Well then. That was something.

I'm still trying to collect my thoughts on what I just saw and my brain is mush from lack of sleep so pardon the following incoherence.

First off, TAAAAAAAAAIIIIIILLLLLLSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!! I wanted this to happen so much, more than anything in this film. I freaked when I saw it. Little kids in the theater shouted his name when they saw him. The fact they saved him for the role of mid-credits stinger to set up a sequel has me insanely excited. This movie NEEDS to do well to convince Paramount to follow through and bring that to fruition. Adorable CGI Tails would print money.

The intro with the SEGA logo and montage of classic games was amazing. That in combination with the ending really makes it seem like this won't be the last time we'll see a SEGA IP on the big screen. Very exciting stuff.

The movie as a whole was "good," nothing really groundbreaking but it was a fun time. Laughs were had, tears were shed (not really). In retrospect, the trailers were spoilery and many of the jokes weren't as impactful because we've already seen them thanks to those trailers, so that was unfortunate. Tails was the true takeaway here and totally overshadowed everything else for me. If we don't get a sequel I'm gonna be devastated.

I'll give the movie a tentative 6.5/10, which could change after repeat viewings. I'll almost certainly catch another showing soon enough to catch the bits I missed thanks to crying kids and inconsiderate obnoxious douches that wouldn't shut up or were generally acting insufferable for large stretches of the movie. That, and I just want to support it because of how competent the final product ended up being against all odds. It deserves success.

There's much more I want to elaborate on but I'll save it for later when I actually feel like it. I need sleep more than anything right now. lol

Oh, and can't forget about that old school Keanu cameo! (Because of course he'd make an appearance. Dude's in everything nowadays. As it should be.)

don't spare me your detailed thoughts amigo which i will read after i see it myself in 2 hours

I still can't believe Samba de Amigo made a cameo in the intro. :P

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Yooo. I watched it and I'm pleasantly surprised. It was decent. I was so hyped by
the inclusion of the Echidnas and Tails cameo.
These things hype me a lot for a sequel. Jim Carrey was good and Ben Schwartz did a great job as Sonic's VA.

My screening at 5 p.m was half-full which is pretty decent but what shocked me is that there was a huge line-up for the 7 p.m screening when I got out. It was full of kids, parents and people of all ages. This is in one of the biggest theaters of Montreal btw. I think this movie might do better than expected and that fills me with hope for Sonic's future. If this does well, SEGA better invest and give us a quality Sonic game come 2021 to not lose the momentum.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It was even better than I expected. I would definitely recommend it, especially to Sonic fans. Hell I think it's still at least decent even if you aren't into it, but there's definitely some cool references and easter eggs fans of the series would notice.

FUCKING HYPER POTIONS IN THE OPENING SEQUENCE!!! And Echidna!!! I popped off so hard in the theater

Yeah, the first music you hear in the film being Hyper Potions' was a nice touch.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
Saw the movie with my partner tonight.

It's good for what it is. What it is, is a kids movie specifically designed for the kids of millenials that played the classic games. That's the only explanation for the tone with the added nostalgia stuff. They expect 30- something parents to take their <10 y/o kids along.

And that's fine! It's a fun movie that was entertaining a lot of people in our theatre. It's just really, really kid- focused. So if youre going in expecting something like a Pixar movie where the writing transcends age, lower your expectations.

The best part for adults is definitely Jim Carrey. Alongside some Sonic nostalgia you get nostalgia for your favourite comic performances of the 90s. He's in fine form.

Anyway, in summary, your hypothetical kids will probaby love it and you might crack a wrinkled smile at nostalgia stuff.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Movie was a lot of fun, I think even if you don't have any strong feelings towards Sonic it's a fun goofy kids movie. Jim Carrey channeling that 90s energy was absolutely amazing.

A lot of families in our showing too, which was good to see.

The kids in there were so damn excited when Tails showed up. Was adorable.

Meanwhile I was still laughing at ROCK-ONNAISSANCE

Biggest laugh out of our group was Crazy Karl's picture, absolutely destroyed us

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
*watches movie*

Me: Aww! I really want a Baby Sonic Plushie!

*googles Baby Sonic Plushie*

3622907-sonic%20movie%20plush.jpg

Me: Fuck the world.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from the movie and loved it.
My only real complaint of the movie
Should of had the classic Sega intro. I didn't like that Marvel Studios type intro they did. It should of been SEEGAAAA with white background like in the original game.

But other than that I enjoyed the movie all the way through and will see a sequel day 1 if it comes out.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I would say this movie is a solid 7/10, the yin to Detective Pikachu's yang. DP was like the ultimate movie in terms of fanservice, but the actual script was just OK and pretty much all the best jokes were in the trailers. Sonic on the other hand doesn't really have many references or adapt stuff from the games, but the writing and plot are pretty good. Now, time to get into the finer details:

First off, the disappointing things: it's lame that Green Hill Zone is in it for a whole two minutes, where we get to meet Original the Character Longclaw for all of 30 seconds before she proceeds to never appear in the film again. Same goes for the echidna tribe, who are after Sonic's power for reasons that go totally unexplained. A copyright listing for the movie claimed that a "lizard warrior" was the foe after Sonic's power, so I can't help but wonder if these baddies were also going to be random new characters that were changed into echidnas to add a tiny bit of Sonic Adventure fanservice when the redesign happened. In any case, Sonic fans can probably figure out what's going to happen to these guys, so it bodes well for Knuckles' chances of appearing in the sequel. Also, they reference a generic mushroom world constantly throughout the movie, yet for some reason no one during production once said "hey, there's actually already been an iconic mushroom-themed world in a Sonic game, maybe we should just say it's Mushroom Hill Zone"? Weird.

What all this boils down to is that there's very little in the way of Sonic-y stuff outside the core basics of rings, speed, etc. Perhaps most distressing is that a series famous for its insanely good soundtracks has almost none of it on display in the film. You hear tiny snippets of Green Hill Zone near the beginning and end of the film, and during the actual GHZ sequence it plays the Sonic Mania intro theme by Hyper Potions, but other than that? Nothing. They were in San Francisco for a chunk of the film, you're telling me they couldn't have City Escape blaring? Junkie XL's score is fairly forgettable orchestral stuff as well, although Eggman's theme is kinda cool.

Now onto the good stuff: They really nailed Sonic as a character. I have to give Ben Schwartz a big apology because I thought he was going to suck based on the first trailer, but he absolutely knocks it out of the park. The movie actually has logical explanations for why Sonic is both ultra chatty and obsessed with the real super power of teamwork, I laughed out loud when Sonic is literally revived by friendship during the climax. Jim Carrey was also perfect as Robotnik. He isn't an exact portrayal of how he is in the games but they nailed all the traits they needed to. He's got the goofiness of modern Eggman with the menacing presence of SA2 Eggman - oh, and Sonic actually starts consistently calling him Eggman by the end of the movie, which I honestly didn't expect them to do.

I think the biggest surprise for me was that James Marsden's character is actually not awful. He's not even just passable. He's legitimately entertaining and enjoyable, and he has great chemistry with Sonic. I think they should definitely ditch Earth and stick to Sonic zones for the sequel, but I would be glad to see Tom come along for the ride. The other human characters were okay too, namely Maddie and Agent Stone. The only big dud was Tom's cop buddy, who had exactly zero funny lines the entire movie.

Speaking of funny lines, there are actually a lot of good jokes in the movie, and surprisingly most of them were not spoiled in trailers. The delivery is a big part of the enjoyment, even lines that aren't really amusing on their own are greatly elevated by the way they say them. Unfortunately there are also a lot of mediocre jokes that don't land, but thankfully I can't remember too many jokes that were actively cringey aside from a couple of pop culture references and product placements that are going to really date the film someday (what the hell is Zillow?).

And of course, we can't forget that redesign. I've seen the sentiment that this film would have ultimately been exactly the same without it, but... no. Just no. I can't even fathom what this film would have looked like with that creepy critter onscreen for the majority of it. So much of the movie relies on Sonic looking cool, cute, and even vulnerable, all things that Gremlin Sonic was physically incapable of expressing. The redesign was definitely the right move no matter how you slice it.

In short: kids will love it, Sonic fans will enjoy it, everyone else will probably think it's OK but nothing special. Personally I think it was a solid start to what should absolutely become a series. The second film is all but written for them - you've got Tails seeking out Sonic, you've got Eggman plotting revenge, you've got those tribal echidnas who've probably unleashed Chaos by now - my only request is that they lean into the Sonic stuff next time. We've done the Earth stuff now, so unless they're going to do a Sonic Adventure adaptation, let's make use of those ring portals and let Sonic and friends go to all kinds of familiar zones from the games.

Last edited:

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
surprised they have an echidna tribe in it considering penders. I know their use in sonic adventure predates him and is fine but I wouldn't take the risk

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife actually wanted to see this for valentines day surprisingly. She loved sonic as a kid and only played the 2d games plus doesnt frequent forums etc so she never had the fanbase taint it for her.

Alas, we cant actually afford the cinema this month, but I thought it was pretty cute that her memory of the character is completely untainted.
Download and have her play Sonic Dreams Collection. It will instantly taint her image of the character so it'll be easier for you both to save money!

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mulling it over more, I think the true triumph of this movie more than anything else is the script. Yeah, you have cheesy dialogue and some of the jokes don't land and there are some obvious leaps of logic where you'll have to suspend your disbelief, but on a purely structural level this is a really good script. There is a proper setup and payoff for nearly everything in the movie, and the things they leave hanging are either clearly supposed to be left hanging on purpose or are properly handwaved as unimportant A notable one: Tom predictably asks Sonic what kind of alien creature he even is and Sonic is more or less like "I'm a hedgehog obviously, what a stupid question" and the movie just rolls with that. As it should because it's Sonic the Hedgehog, that's who he is.. Interactions between and events surrounding characters aren't rooted in unbelievable coincidence or happenstance, all the inciting events are perpetuated directly by our principle actors. I think maybe the most unbelievable sequence of events in the movie is Sonic seeing Tom's San Francisco shirt right as he falls over from the tranq gun and drops the ring, leading to his ring bag ending up in San Francisco and forcing the rest of the plot to happen and honestly that type of thing is nothing in terms of typical silly movie logic.

We're given exactly as much information as we need to understand what's happening at any moment and to relate to the emotional beats of the movie and not much more, so we aren't bogged down in details or unnecessary asides and can just follow the movie on its own terms without feeling lost or dwelling on things that don't matter. Granted, as I said before, the story itself is rather thin so it's not like navigating this type of script would require the kind of clever and deft hand you'd need for something far more thought provoking or complex, but it nonetheless hits all the basic structural notes and provides a secure foundation for the actors' talents to thrive. Well, some of them anyway, no script in the world is going to make James Marsden any more remarkable than a pile of gray Play-Doh.

tl;dr The story and characters are a bit wanting but the execution of this story is pitch perfect in many ways, which is why I think this movie is resonating with a lot of folk despite its rather rote and simplistic nature.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Loved it!

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but in the climax you can see one of the street signs is Mega Dr. Pretty cool.

Exodus 1831

Oct 25, 2018
movie was a solid 6/10 for me off of first watch, much better than i expected

I did find it hilarious that this was the sketch Crazy Chris did of Sonic to describe him to the locals

gotta-go-fast-sonic-rubick-runner.jpg

Movie had alot of neat Easter Eggs without hitting the viewers over the head with an excessive amount

Last edited:

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Average at best and nothing more, I suppose it could have been Really awful but the last scene was the best thing about the whole movie , the sequel will actually be good though

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Liked it a lot.. but damn the kids in the theater?!? They gave me life. I am happy they had fun, ESPECIALLY with the mid credits scene!

Spoiler for a question, but a part I freaked out over (but not too loudly):
So, there is a map where Sonic had been before. The big Central picture is South island from Game Gear/Master System. I was checking the other locations, but stopped at the top image, THE FREAKING Saturn logo! you all have no idea how happy that made me xD (think it implies a rubbed planet, but I took it as a long overdue reference of that console where he had only... Certain games...)

The question: what were the other symbols, if any?

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Credits are rolling, movie was okay, 6/10. Locations were boring and I was hoping for more of Green Hill Zone and other worlds toward the final fight scene. Sonic himself was surprisingly good? Not as funny as his Sonic Boom incarnation, but still wasn't entirely cringe-worthy as I was expecting for a worse case scenario.

Dr. Robotnik was very good, my favorite part of the movie, I timed how long he was in the movie and I got 14:30 plus or minus a minute or so. Jim Carrey was great in the film and the mid credits scene was great and made me very excited for a potential sequel. Just have it be Sonic and his friends versus Robotnik and James Marsden tagging along for the ride this time.

Potential problems were when he went to
San Francisco and Sonic couldn't grab his rings because of the roof building being locked, total cheese way to have a final confrontation, better to have just have it be some janitor took the rings instead. Also Sonic not being able to find California when he could go through every rooftop and alleyway in California in under 5 minutes was annoying to me just to force the road trip scene. But I'm being too harsh.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just seen it. Excellent film. Beats Pokemon: Detective Pikachu by miles, and I say that as a big fan of that film. Love the praise it's getting. Well and truly deserved tbh. Onwards to the sequel!

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Based on the trailers and marketing I was expecting Suicide Squad levels of licensed music used in the movie, but I was pleasantly surprised at how restrained they were with that.

The Robotnik scene with him in his lab with "Where Evil Grows" was really well done.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
The movie is basically this:

6BlnM6p.jpg

I saw it today, and it was ok...I guess? It's not awful, but it's not exactly good. It's incredibly bland and instantly forgettable. Just a whole bunch of nothing.

Detective Pikachu is better.

5/10

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I heard the product placement was really obnoxious - is that true? I notice product placement everywhere these days so I find it quite irritating.

Oct 28, 2017
Movie was good. Opening was fantasic and the final act was fantastic. Not as good in the middle but generally fun and I really enjoyed this portayal of Sonic and Robotnik. Sequel bait better lead to something. I was surprised how little fan service there was though. Not really much beyond what we'd seen in trailers.

Oct 28, 2017
Ok spoiler talk now.

After the opening I was really hoping the movie was going to revisit the Echidnas hunting Sonic at some point later in the film. Disappointing that was just dropped like nothing. That's gotta be the sequel I guess.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I heard the product placement was really obnoxious - is that true? I notice product placement everywhere these days so I find it quite irritating.
Not nearly as obnoxious as it was in Weathering With You. There's a reference to Olive Garden, that's immediately paid off with an (unfunny) joke, but that's it.

Unlike Weathering, which pretty much has McDonald's as the third main character.
Ok spoiler talk now.

After the opening I was really hoping the movie was going to revisit the Echidnas hunting Sonic at some point later in the film. Disappointing that was just dropped like nothing. That's gotta be the sequel I guess.
I wouldn't expect to see Knuckles until the third movie. They're pretty much following the games. Sonic is alone in movie 1, with Tails in movie 2, with Knuckles in movie 3.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I wouldn't expect to see Knuckles until the third movie. They're pretty much following the games. Sonic is alone in movie 1, with Tails in movie 2, with Knuckles in movie 3.
I don't see Knuckles specifically, but me and my kids were spitballing some ideas for a sequel. The idea being that Knuckles shows up in the post-credits like Tails did, but that the Echidna's might come up as semi-major antagonists for the next movie because they're causing trouble back on Sonic's homeworld and that's why Tails is looking for him...because Longbeak is still alive and told him about Sonic and sent Tails to find him and bring him back to save them.
That's just some spitballing with a 7 and 4-year-old though. XD

Oct 28, 2017
More spoiler talk

I was quite disappointed when Sonic never went back to his own world at the end. I know the movie had built up the Sonic finds a family/friends angle so I get what they went for with him staying on Earth. But I was hoping the sequel hook would be the next movie set on Sonic's world not ours. Looks like it's just Tails coming to Earth.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
More spoiler talk

I was quite disappointed when Sonic never went back to his own world at the end. I know the movie had built up the Sonic finds a family/friends angle so I get what they went for with him staying on Earth. But I was hoping the sequel hook would be the next movie set on Sonic's world not ours. Looks like it's just Tails coming to Earth.
I think it'll move away from Earth some in potential sequels. Tails came looking for Sonic, but most likely he never even met Sonic in the movie version given the age differences and how young Sonic was when he came to Earth. That most likely means he's come to find Sonic and bring him BACK to save his homeworld and/or Longbeak.

Oct 28, 2017
I think it'll move away from Earth some in potential sequels. Tails came looking for Sonic, but most likely he never even met Sonic in the movie version given the age differences and how young Sonic was when he came to Earth. That most likely means he's come to find Sonic and bring him BACK to save his homeworld and/or Longbeak.
Hopefully. And I'm hoping finding the chaos emeralds will be a driving force in the plot. That's another thing I would have likedto have been teased here.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

It's so blatant that it's almost comical.

The characters straight up shill for Olive Garden not once but twice (although the second time was admittedly a funny payoff to the first one) and there's a scene where Tom's wife talks about how she found a new place to live on a website called Zillow as the camera lingers on her laptop.

So question do we see a lot of doctor wegman's iconic look?

At the very end of the movie he's basically reached the standard Eggman look as seen in the first trailer, he shaves his head and his mustache gets frizzed out. He's not fat but Sonic still calls him Eggman because his drones look like eggs.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Hopefully. And I'm hoping finding the chaos emeralds will be a driving force in the plot. That's another thing I would have likedto have been teased here.
Kind of agree, but for a movie series, I'd almost expect the Chaos Emeralds, if they show up, to be something that they collect a couple per movie until they get all seven for a truly world-saving event. I doubt they'd hold off until "Sonic Adventure 2" or anything, but if Sonic the Hedgehog 2 starts the Death Egg Saga or an equivalent, I could see them collecting two or three emeralds per movie up until Sonic uses them take it down.

If Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is the entire Death Egg Saga, I guess they could collect them all in one movie, but I still feel like at most, they use only ONE Chaos Emerald as a MacGuffin only to find out there are six more out there in the universe.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Camjo-Z got a question

Was the Vin Diesel line in any marketing or was the OP title just a hell of a coincidence?

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I very much enjoyed it. It ain't gonna win Oscars, but it's a fun family film loaded with heart.

I never realized how popular Sonic is with kids. The mid credits scene got a bigger reaction at my showing than like any Marvel one has. Mad.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I very much enjoyed it. It ain't gonna win Oscars, but it's a fun family film loaded with heart.

I never realized how popular Sonic is with kids. The mid credits scene got a bigger reaction at my showing than like any Marvel one has. Mad.

I got a chuckle out of hearing the kids in the seats behind me feverishly chanting "Please be Tails, please be Tails, please be Tails!" when the mid-credits scene started.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I got a chuckle out of hearing the kids in the seats behind me feverishly chanting "Please be Tails, please be Tails, please be Tails!" when the mid-credits scene started.
My kids both loved that scene. They were a bit lower energy since it was getting late and the youngest hadn't had a nap, but they were really excited to see it.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The movie is basically this:

6BlnM6p.jpg

I saw it today, and it was ok...I guess? It's not awful, but it's not exactly good. It's incredibly bland and instantly forgettable. Just a whole bunch of nothing.

Detective Pikachu is better.

5/10
Im with you. I feel like if this was any other cg cartoon in the real world movie like idk "Hop 2: Hop2It" and instead of Robotnik, Jim Carrey played The April Fool out to steal Easter for himself, people here would be bashing this movie for its labored movie references and product placement masquerading as jokes & complaining how torturous it was when the lead cartoon character flossed.

But because the sonic looks like sonic & theres like 4 maybe 5 references to old sonic stuff "it has heart"

This movie is right in line with Yogi Bear, Hop, Smurfs 1 & 2 - if im stuck watching it while babysitting or in a waiting room, theres certainly worse ways to spend 90 minutes.

Oct 28, 2017
Right so the very start of the movie before the movie actually begins.

Yeah it showed stuff from Sonic games (Adventure and Unleashed among them). But that weren't all. In that Sega logo we had non Sonic stuff. Sega cinematic universe incoming confirmed? Discuss.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Right so the very start of the movie before the movie actually begins.

Yeah it showed stuff from Sonic games (Adventure and Unleashed among them). But that weren't all. In that Sega logo we had non Sonic stuff. Sega cinematic universe incoming confirmed? Discuss.
Yeah, I don't know if it's going to be some sort of shared universe, but it's clear that SEGA has some intentions to create games other than Sonic going forward...but I frankly don't know what other SEGA games could stand on its own as a standalone film...