• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
this is my review

EQumxWyU0AAR_7A
Lmfao

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Really fun movie. Sonic was awesome and looked great and the rest of the cast was great too.

I read on Twitter that people were walking out because it was racist and homophobic... And instead watched birds of prey with their families.

WHAT? It's scary how social media tries to destroy people and now fun family movies.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Really fun movie. Sonic was awesome and looked great and the rest of the cast was great too.

I read on Twitter that people were walking out because it was racist and homophobic...

WHERE? It's scary how social media tries to destroy people and now fun family movies.
I was seeing it was all a bunch of whiny DC fanboys who were somehow blaming Sonic for how bad the Harley Quinn movie bombed...even though Sonic wasn't out when it bombed so badly. XD

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't know if it's going to be some sort of shared universe, but it's clear that SEGA has some intentions to create games other than Sonic going forward...but I frankly don't know what other SEGA games could stand on its own as a standalone film...
SEGA's been spitballing video game movie adaptations for about half a decade now
www.slashfilm.com

Sega Begins To Develop Video Game Adaptations For Film And TV - SlashFilm

Sega just realized that it has a bunch of video game properties that could potentially be adapted to film, TV, and digital series. OK, maybe the company didn't just realize this, but it is just putting plans in motion to exploit titles such as Shinobi and Altered Beast. At this point we don't...
www.wired.co.uk

Sega classics 'Altered Beast' and 'Streets of Rage' to get film adaptations

Sega's Mega Drive classics could be headed to cinema and TV soon

So I wouldn't be surprised if they come to fruition following the success of this movie.

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
Saw it. Meh, 6 year olds are definitely the target.

I just wish the music would had gotten more fan service.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to mention my favorite joke in the movie:

When Robotnik randomly stops and says "Interesting" in Japanese complete with a subtitle for absolutely no reason and never speaks in Japanese again I just fucking died. It's not really funny out of context but it was so stupid that it actually wrapped around to become brilliant.

I read on Twitter that people were walking out because it was racist and homophobic...

WHERE? It's scary how social media tries to destroy people and now fun family movies.

It's a meme started by Birds of Prey fans.

Oct 27, 2017
It was super meh.

Surprisingly funny lines here and there and I like the slow motion scenes, but the movie takes forever to get going and the action set pieces were kinda weak. Carrey was great but some of his scenes felt crowbarred in to give him something to do.

It felt kinda 'small', like the production values and settings don't match the ridiculous budget the movie has. And my big gripe...

I can tell they know the movie they should have made; Eggman at the end looks and acts and even sounds like Pollock's version, and Tails appearing makes it clear to me that this movie's sequel is probably going to be what this movie should have been. The credits sequence was also godtier

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
This was a lot of goofy fun. The plot is nonsense and the product placement was cringe, but it really *got* Sonic as a character and the tone of the whole piece was pretty much spot-on for the assorted Sonic media.

Not gonna lie, I teared up a bit with the piano arrangement of Green Hill Zone theme near the end.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Well, my wife is the Sonic fan.

So how drunk do I need to be?
I mean, how drunk would you need to be in order to see a kids movie? That's a pretty good indicator.

I have three kids, so I'm pretty used to it AND a Sonic fan, so I rather enjoyed it sober...I'm trying to think if there's anything that anything that would've landed very differently if I were not though and I cannot think of anything. So, it might not actually make you enjoy it, but would at least dull the pain I guess. XD

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that was super bad.
I'm happy for all the Sonic fans out there having their own first live-action of Sonic on the big screen though
In regards to video game movie adaptations I enjoyed Detective Pikachu far more than this.
Also, it was nice seeing Jim Carrey in a movie again.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was super meh.

Surprisingly funny lines here and there and I like the slow motion scenes, but the movie takes forever to get going and the action set pieces were kinda weak. Carrey was great but some of his scenes felt crowbarred in to give him something to do.

It felt kinda 'small', like the production values and settings don't match the ridiculous budget the movie has. And my big gripe...

I can tell they know the movie they should have made; Eggman at the end looks and acts and even sounds like Pollock's version, and Tails appearing makes it clear to me that this movie's sequel is probably going to be what this movie should have been. The credits sequence was also godtier

I'm glad someone else thought Carrey sounded like Pollock in that sequence. At the time I didn't know if the costume was playing tricks on my brain or what. Carrey was amazing in that scene.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Was that a joke about Hillary's e-mails I heard? When Marsden's sister in law asks him what's under the blanket did she say, "Is that emails?"

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Im with you. I feel like if this was any other cg cartoon in the real world movie like idk "Hop 2: Hop2It" and instead of Robotnik, Jim Carrey played The April Fool out to steal Easter for himself, people here would be bashing this movie for its labored movie references and product placement masquerading as jokes & complaining how torturous it was when the lead cartoon character flossed.

But because the sonic looks like sonic & theres like 4 maybe 5 references to old sonic stuff "it has heart"

This movie is right in line with Yogi Bear, Hop, Smurfs 1 & 2 - if im stuck watching it while babysitting or in a waiting room, theres certainly worse ways to spend 90 minutes.
To be this bitter...

this is the Sega version of marvel event movies.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
SEGA's been spitballing video game movie adaptations for about half a decade now
www.slashfilm.com

Sega just realized that it has a bunch of video game properties that could potentially be adapted to film, TV, and digital series. OK, maybe the company didn't just realize this, but it is just putting plans in motion to exploit titles such as Shinobi and Altered Beast. At this point we don't...
www.wired.co.uk

So I wouldn't be surprised if they come to fruition following the success of this movie.

Hopefully this means a return of Segata Sanshiro but to the silver screen.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One part that did melt my heart in the movie
Was when they were at Rachel's house and her daughter gave her the classic Sonic red sneakers.
Thought that moment was pretty cool.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping the sequel will be more creative with the design of Robotnik's robots.

I like that there was a badniks section in Robotnik's vehicle. I want to see actual badniks in the sequel, and captured animals being a part of his robots. He uses a piece of Sonic to improve his machines so he can move at Sonic's speed. I want to see Robotnik take that for other species on other worlds and have unique badniks based on different creatures abilities.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The original score for this movie sucks. Junkie XL is a hack. Outside of the use of Green Hill Zone and Hyper Potions, the score actively made the movie worse.

I wish we had gotten Alan Silvestri or something, especially since he also did the fantastic score to the Mario movie.

Man I wonder how the film would be with the original design

The vast majority of the appeal would be lost.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I would say this movie is a solid 7/10, the yin to Detective Pikachu's yang. DP was like the ultimate movie in terms of fanservice, but the actual script was just OK and pretty much all the best jokes were in the trailers. Sonic on the other hand doesn't really have many references or adapt stuff from the games, but the writing and plot are pretty good. Now, time to get into the finer details:

First off, the disappointing things: it's lame that Green Hill Zone is in it for a whole two minutes, where we get to meet Original the Character Longclaw for all of 30 seconds before she proceeds to never appear in the film again. Same goes for the echidna tribe, who are after Sonic's power for reasons that go totally unexplained. A copyright listing for the movie claimed that a "lizard warrior" was the foe after Sonic's power, so I can't help but wonder if these baddies were also going to be random new characters that were changed into echidnas to add a tiny bit of Sonic Adventure fanservice when the redesign happened. In any case, Sonic fans can probably figure out what's going to happen to these guys, so it bodes well for Knuckles' chances of appearing in the sequel. Also, they reference a generic mushroom world constantly throughout the movie, yet for some reason no one during production once said "hey, there's actually already been an iconic mushroom-themed world in a Sonic game, maybe we should just say it's Mushroom Hill Zone"? Weird.

What all this boils down to is that there's very little in the way of Sonic-y stuff outside the core basics of rings, speed, etc. Perhaps most distressing is that a series famous for its insanely good soundtracks has almost none of it on display in the film. You hear tiny snippets of Green Hill Zone near the beginning and end of the film, and during the actual GHZ sequence it plays the Sonic Mania intro theme by Hyper Potions, but other than that? Nothing. They were in San Francisco for a chunk of the film, you're telling me they couldn't have City Escape blaring? Junkie XL's score is fairly forgettable orchestral stuff as well, although Eggman's theme is kinda cool.

Now onto the good stuff: They really nailed Sonic as a character. I have to give Ben Schwartz a big apology because I thought he was going to suck based on the first trailer, but he absolutely knocks it out of the park. The movie actually has logical explanations for why Sonic is both ultra chatty and obsessed with the real super power of teamwork, I laughed out loud when Sonic is literally revived by friendship during the climax. Jim Carrey was also perfect as Robotnik. He isn't an exact portrayal of how he is in the games but they nailed all the traits they needed to. He's got the goofiness of modern Eggman with the menacing presence of SA2 Eggman - oh, and Sonic actually starts consistently calling him Eggman by the end of the movie, which I honestly didn't expect them to do.

I think the biggest surprise for me was that James Marsden's character is actually not awful. He's not even just passable. He's legitimately entertaining and enjoyable, and he has great chemistry with Sonic. I think they should definitely ditch Earth and stick to Sonic zones for the sequel, but I would be glad to see Tom come along for the ride. The other human characters were okay too, namely Maddie and Agent Stone. The only big dud was Tom's cop buddy, who had exactly zero funny lines the entire movie.

Speaking of funny lines, there are actually a lot of good jokes in the movie, and surprisingly most of them were not spoiled in trailers. The delivery is a big part of the enjoyment, even lines that aren't really amusing on their own are greatly elevated by the way they say them. Unfortunately there are also a lot of mediocre jokes that don't land, but thankfully I can't remember too many jokes that were actively cringey aside from a couple of pop culture references and product placements that are going to really date the film someday (what the hell is Zillow?).

And of course, we can't forget that redesign. I've seen the sentiment that this film would have ultimately been exactly the same without it, but... no. Just no. I can't even fathom what this film would have looked like with that creepy critter onscreen for the majority of it. So much of the movie relies on Sonic looking cool, cute, and even vulnerable, all things that Gremlin Sonic was physically incapable of expressing. The redesign was definitely the right move no matter how you slice it.

In short: kids will love it, Sonic fans will enjoy it, everyone else will probably think it's OK but nothing special. Personally I think it was a solid start to what should absolutely become a series. The second film is all but written for them - you've got Tails seeking out Sonic, you've got Eggman plotting revenge, you've got those tribal echidnas who've probably unleashed Chaos by now - my only request is that they lean into the Sonic stuff next time. We've done the Earth stuff now, so unless they're going to do a Sonic Adventure adaptation, let's make use of those ring portals and let Sonic and friends go to all kinds of familiar zones from the games.
I completely agree with your spoilers and I want a sequel to this very badly for those reasons. Hopefully this does well enough where we'll get one!

Oct 28, 2017
The original score for this movie sucks. Junkie XL is a hack. Outside of the use of Green Hill Zone and Hyper Potions, the score actively made the movie worse.

I wish we had gotten Alan Silvestri or something, especially since he also did the fantastic score to the Mario movie.

The vast majority of the appeal would be lost.
I do have to say nothing about the sound in this movie stood out outside of the nods here and there.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Movie sounds great so far? Didn't expect that but they deserve it after the great redesign. Interested in seeing it now so they've done their job.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Movie sounds great so far? Didn't expect that but they deserve it after the great redesign. Interested in seeing it now so they've done their job.

It's one of those "Your mileage may vary" situations. I dunno if I'd call it great but it certainly wasn't awful.

Of course, I have a bad habit of overanalyzing film special effects. All I can think about the whole time watching the film is James Marsden talking to a roughly Sonic the Hedgehog-shaped rubber facsimile in practically every scene they're in together. I can't let my brain go enough to just take things at face value.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
www.slashfilm.com

www.wired.co.uk

I tend to find movies that are made bad on purpose in order to become cult hits to be excruciating, but there's a tiny part of me that needs an adaptation of the GG Shinobi games that is styled after old Godfrey Ho movies.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Got D-box seats (the ones that move with the movie) for this afternoon for $4 with the T-Mobile Tuesdays offer. Surprised it worked. Saved $20. I was originally planning to watch it in the theater in my town but tickets are always $6.50 so I thought it would be a waste to use the offer to only save $2.50.

Very excited. Never done D-box before and a Sonic movie from the Fast and Furious producers sounds perfect.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Question for ya'll that have seen it:

How do you feel about the whole road trip aspect of the movie?

I'm seeing it Sunday but like... doesn't that seem like kind of a waste? It seems like a lot of the movie may be Sonic sitting down and quipping with Marsden, despite the main draw of the character being his immense speed.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

I'm seeing it Sunday but like... doesn't that seem like kind of a waste? It seems like a lot of the movie may be Sonic sitting down and quipping with Marsden, despite the main draw of the character being his immense speed.
They have really good chemistry together and tbh it didn't even feel like they were in the car for very long in the first place.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The movie was actually good. I'm pleasantly surprised. Had a great time.

Also, Sanic made it into the movie, fucking lol.

Dec 2, 2017

It's very fun.

Oct 28, 2017
One of the scenes that got the one of the biggest laughs from my viewing was

when the little girl runs around in a circle shouting gotta go fas gotta go fast gotta go fast. I loved that.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I thought this was pretty incredible. Way better than it had any right to be. The buddy road trip angle was great, the mixed live action looked great, and I thought it was going to be so terrible when I first heard about it.

Carrey was an inspired choice but I got way more from Sonic and Marsden. The kids in the cinema found him hilarious though which took me back to watching The Mask as a kid.

I would have preferred more adult jokes snuck in there but the thoughtful nostalgia made up for it.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Just got out the theater. Movie was cool, not the best thing I've seen but it did its job.

Feel like the sequel has the potential to be really good if they hit everything right.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't even imagine a potential Mecha Sonic with this Robotnik Design line. It would look amazing.

I know the quill at the end Robotnik has is just a simple "he has power to work with to build more robots and shit" mechanic, but man it would be awesome to essentially retread the OVA and have Sonic/Tails/Knuckles fight Metal Sonic and Robotnik. His "obsession" with Sonic would be on another level at this point.