• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Just watched it! It was just okay, not bad but nothing really interesting going on!

Always the human side that we don't care about that creeps into these movies!

Altough if they do the sequel, it should be way more interesting!

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A quick shoutout to true dedication for setting up a joke by
giving Robotnik a hapless lackey who features prominently and naming him Stone JUST for the moment at the very end of the film where crazy Robotnik is literally talking to a rock.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
giving Robotnik a hapless lackey who features prominently and naming him Stone JUST for the moment at the very end of the film where crazy Robotnik is literally talking to a rock.

Also having an heartwarming moment setup by
having Sonic watch a group of kids high-fiving each other during a baseball game and wanting to be part of that moment and then have Tom offer him a high-five at the end of the movie and Sonic looking so happy just for that.
It was sweet.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I don't know if it's that people are fucking with the numbers for the hell of it, only dedicated fans are seeing it, or it's actually a movie that resonates well with a general audience, but the RT audience score is somehow a 94%. Like usually these for-kids action comedies don't get much critical approval but that's even higher than I expected to see, since in my limited experience with actually checking RT scores for stuff, usually the audience score for these kinds of films is in the 80% range. (Like, Det. Pikachu is around a 75% or something from when I looked.)

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's that people are fucking with the numbers for the hell of it, only dedicated fans are seeing it, or it's actually a movie that resonates well with a general audience, but the RT audience score is somehow a 94%. Like usually these for-kids action comedies don't get much critical approval but that's even higher than I expected to see, usually the audience score is in the 80%. (Like, Det. Pikachu is around a 75% or something from when I looked.)
could be Ben Shwartz's online fanbase.

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
There is a moment at the beginning of the movie that really bothered me.

What did Longclaw simply not go with Sonic? If they could track them through the rings couldn't they track him alone too? tails even tracks him in the end! Also, why was Sonic so slow when Longclaw was being attacked and the ring was starting to close? He showcased his speed in beginning and he could totally go back to her.

Overall, I enjoyed it, it's not a great movie, but kids would enjoy it, I certainly would put it above trash like Alven and the chipmunks or The Smurfs.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
There is a moment at the beginning of the movie that really bothered me.

What did Longclaw simply not go with Sonic? If they could track them through the rings couldn't they track him alone too? tails even tracks him in the end! Also, why was Sonic so slow when Longclaw was being attacked and the ring was starting to close? He showcased his speed in beginning and he could totally go back to her.

Overall, I enjoyed it, it's not a great movie, but kids would enjoy it, I certainly would put it above trash like Alven and the chipmunks or The Smurfs.

It's just best to not think about it. Sonic's quicksilver-like powers would completely break most of the movie if he always deployed them. It became especially obvious upon a 2nd viewing where he could have used them to escape any number of seemingly problematic scenarios without them.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My crowd!

Like children were happy, adults enjoyed...

The crowd went wild for Tails! Like cheering and clapping in London even!

I couldn't even hear what he said!

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The crowd reaction for that scene was the loudest I ever heard in a theater. Mind you, it was in a theater full of Sonic fans.

Yeah, same probably. Sonic is alive again guys!

My thoughts though:

As a film-goer...it was okay. The humour was childish, the plot was there, Jim Carrey made Eggman his own, the other humans weren't too annoying and Sonic was endearing if slightly annoying because he was hyper.

As a man who grew up with The Blue Blur since birth: The amount of Easter eggs and fan service warmed my heart as there was clearly care put in the film, more so than some games lately.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Got D-box seats (the ones that move with the movie) for this afternoon for $4 with the T-Mobile Tuesdays offer. Surprised it worked. Saved $20. I was originally planning to watch it in the theater in my town but tickets are always $6.50 so I thought it would be a waste to use the offer to only save $2.50.

Very excited. Never done D-box before and a Sonic movie from the Fast and Furious producers sounds perfect.
So damn lucky. I would've gladly paid full price for a D-BOX showing but there aren't any theaters near me that have them, just the standard 2D fare. :/

Please let us know how your experience was when you get the chance!

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Actually, I want to know something and want to know what you guys think:

Do you think they mailed Tails straight away or think he also got a redesign?

Cuz I can't imagine them getting that design so right straight away when you look at Sonic's

I mean, the gloves were clearly slate addition as they were Sonic's.

Same with the Opening Scene Echidnas even though they were covered up, they looked fine.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

Cuz I can't imagine them getting that design so right straight away when you look at Sonic's

Same with the Opening Scene Echidnas even though they were covered up, they looked fine.
I'd love to know the truth to it all because it all looked fantastic. Opening scene too. I think the after credit was probably added more recently than the initial monster Sonic trailer too.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I expected this to be about the Olive Garden gift card lmao

But yeah the mushroom scene is my favorite in the movie by far.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I would be surprised if they had gotten that far into the design for Tails before they decided to rework Sonic, given they'd only done those trailer scenes up until that point and this scene is obviously not a very important part of development. Maybe there's some concept art of Tails from before the trailer was made but my guess is that there wasn't anything Tails related done until after they got Hesse on board.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Deadline is now estimating a $55m 4-day after a $17m Friday (this includes the $3m from Thursday). A very good start: https://deadline.com/2020/02/sonic-...ownhill-valentines-day-box-office-1202860119/

Sonic the Hedgehog is quickly looking like a hit, besting the top end of its $50M 4-day projection with $55M, off a $17M Friday (including $3M previews) and $45M 3-day. Great stuff. Die-hard fans at Paramount's special LA screening on Wednesday were abuzz with what the studio got right with this adaptation including the pic's game location references, characters, music — the pic is loaded with a bundle of Easter Eggs galore. This critter's bad teeth is long forgotten.

Among top domestic openings for movies based on videogames, the record currently belongs to Legendary/Warner Bros.' Pokemon: Detective Pikachu with a $54.3M 3-day. 2nd goes to Paramount/Mutual Company's Lara Croft: Tomb Raider starring Angelina Jolie ($47.7M). At its current level, Sonic would rank 3rd in the logbook.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'd love to know the truth to it all because it all looked fantastic.

Someone at SomethingAwful that worked on the film (or so he claims) addressed this directly actually. I'd link the post but heck if I know if the forums are in one of their silly lockdown periods. His words:

Replying to whether Tails was redesigned:
Yep. It happened once Sonic's final design was more or less in place. The original concept art we got for Tails was just a paintover of the original Sonic design with fox attributes instead of hedgehog spikes.

Incidentally, unrelated to the above, he also put out this little nugget that I find intriguing, assuming it's true:

Something that's in the movie, but not super obvious is Super Sonic. He's not yellow, but that's what's supposed to be happening when he powers up and beats Robotnik. The original prologue for the movie implied his power was connected to the Chaos Emeralds, and while it's no longer specifically called out in the movie it does explain why the Echidnas were interested in him.

Again, grain of salt as to whether it's all legit but it certainly makes sense to me that this would be the case.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Someone at SomethingAwful that worked on the film (or so he claims) addressed this directly actually. I'd link the post but heck if I know if the forums are in one of their silly lockdown periods. His words:

Replying to whether Tails was redesigned:

Incidentally, unrelated to the above, he also put out this little nugget that I find intriguing, assuming it's true:

Again, grain of salt as to whether it's all legit but it certainly makes sense to me that this would be the case.
Hmm, interesting. Ty for sharing

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
This has to be the deepest reference in the movie. Holy crap.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Listened to some of the score. Junkie XL did a surprisingly great job. I liked how he incorporated some chiptunes every now and then. Can't wait to see the movie on Monday!

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
I couldn't resist. Gonna catch another showing tonight, this time in what looks to be a packed theater going by the online reservation chart. (Thursday's advance 5:00 showing was pretty sparse since it was earlier in the day and I'm sure lots of potential moviegoers weren't aware of it since it was before the official release date.)

Hopefully with more people in attendance I'll be able to see firsthand which scenes and jokes really resonate with the crowd. ^_^

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Just got back. The movie is a lot of fun. They really made the whole thing work. Sonic looks great. Only big issue - product placement was painful and really took me out of it several times.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna lie.

This outcome (doing decently critically, relatively enjoyed by fans, and potentially actually making lots of money) is perhaps the funniest and most unexpected end result of all of this madness.

After that initial showing, I expected pure chaos. lmao

Love it.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I legitimately enjoyed that. Was a very sweet movie, and had some very fun and heartwarming scenes.
Without a doubt one of the best movies of this type I've seen (this type being CG talking animal with human sidekick).

I gasped when I saw echidnas like holy crap, I was NOT expecting that.

Also the after credits scene had me SHOOK! Tails looked and sounded amazing! And that eggman scene on mushroom world made me a believer for a sequel where he is the bad guy once again.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Saw it in Dolby Cinema. Mostly like it. It gets very corny at points, but I tried to remind myself that it's meant for kids and not hold that against it too much. The good does outweigh the bad though. The interpretation of Sonic is nearly perfect for what I'd want out of him for a live action film, from the way he looks, acts and sounds. Pretty spot on. Loved the teases near the end for what could come in a sequel. Hope it gets one.

Respect to the director and other creatives behind this who went the extra mile to address people's concerns. They tried really hard to appeal to the fanbase, from the numerous references, to the music, to the CGI fixes... you can feel the love. So, I really hope they earn all their money back so it can be considered a success.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Just got out of the movie and I really enjoyed it. Probably one of the better video game movies. Well done Sega! Also did anyone else get a MCU vibe when the Sega logo appeared? Lol

Oct 28, 2017
FUCK YOU TAILS WHY YOU STEAL MY AIR BUBBLE?!

Off topic but in a Sonic mood so I popped on Sonic 2. About to drown but there's an air bubble just in time to save me. Tails fucking takes it and I die. Some fucking friend.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
That was way better than these types of movies tend to be. Actually my biggest negative personally is that it didn't have an environmentalist message which feels like missing the point.

My four year old son was way into the 16 bit end credits so I might fire up Sonic Mania when we get home.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"A lesser man would die here. I'll be home by Christmas"

6fcd75487fd0e611a0d667d4a9d0053588f38c1b_hq.gif

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The whole theater went bananas with the after credits scene

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
PRETTY okay. That's all. It was fun and then it was boring. Rinse repeat. Sonic kinda sucked, but hey...it's for kids.