• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Your Rotten Tomatoes score prediction?

• >90%

Votes: 68 7.8%
  • 75-90%

Votes: 97 11.1%
  • 60-75%

Votes: 234 26.8%
  • 45-60%

Votes: 293 33.6%
  • 30-45%

Votes: 113 12.9%
  • 15-30%

Votes: 50 5.7%
  • 0-15%

Votes: 18 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it and yeah, I liked it. I would be down if they make a sequel. Liked Jim Carrey as Robotnik... But I have always loved Jim Carrey. Hope he makes some new movies.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed the movie and my kids liked it a lot. I'm more excited for the incredible sequel potential. This film sets a lot up and a well made sequel could be an Uncharted 2 kind of leap.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This wasn't good. This wasn't even fun bad. It was just the most paint by numbers kids movie, fart jokes and all, with clunky product placement. Cute for kids but that's a low bar to clear.

5/10 if I'm generous but it's clearly not for the 20 something year old Sonic fan so I can't be upset that it's not for me. Hope SammyClassicSonicFan is happy, wherever he might be.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it, Sonic still doesn't look great to me but I loved it all the same.

Oct 26, 2017
Just got back. Saw it with my son, nephew, and brother-in-law. We all enjoyed it. Nothing blew me away or pulled at my heartstrings, but nothing made me cringe either, which is a big compliment now-a-days. It was fun.

I was surprised how packed my theater was for a 2:00 PM showing on Saturday. The only empty seats were in the first 3 rows. The rest was completely taken up.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I saw it last night — 9:40 PM on Friday / Valentine's Day — full crowd, mostly adult couples, one (1) boy child with his parents who LOOOOVED it.

Everyone else — we also laughed and enjoyed ourselves. I'm a huge lifelong Sonic fan so I'm mostly just happy to see the movie is solid, and I could nitpick a bunch of things I wish they'd added or emphasized differently. Overall I really liked it. It could've been better — it could've been much worse. Mario might have the better video game franchise but Sonic has the better movies!

It's about as good as Detective Pikachu, more or less. Pikachu looked better/cuter, but Sonic has the better voice/personality. Jim Carrey as Robotnik is obviously a much better villain, too.

For me, the biggest missed opportunity is that Sonic doesn't spin dash/spin attack as much as I wish he had. More than any of the lore things, like Chaos Emeralds or other characters or concepts, I wanted to see more of Sonic being acrobatic.

Even if you're only looking at the first Sonic the Hedgehog game, more than the "speed" of Sonic it's that he's like a hybrid of Mario and Pinball... that's what Sega seems to consistently misunderstand about how Sonic works, imo (and why Mania was so good).

There's a lot of him running straight ahead, but aside from the opening in Mobius/GHZ, there's not any loops or interesting pathways that Sonic travels, until the end (also in the trailers) of the Great Wall and the pyramids and downtown SF. (opportunity for any kind of "rolling around at the speed of sound" or City Escape reference).

My favorite example of him in a ball is in the house in the laundry, when he's hiding from the Badnik drones, then he rolls down... that looked AWESOME. He's also in a ball in the highway scene (in the trailers) and attacking Robotnik's ship at the end.

I liked the brief thing of Tom tossing Sonic as a basketball in the bar. Instead of playing darts, it would've been cooler to see Sonic and Tom playing pinball and then using those ideas later against Robotnik, like Tom batting Sonic with a paddle in downtown Green Hill. Or Sonic bowling with himself as the ball would've been funny.

Changes to the Lore that I LIKED:

—Emphasizing and contrasting the loneliness of Sonic and Robotnik was interesting.

—I like Sonic's more earnest and kid-like personality here. This is probably the 'sweetest' version of Sonic's personality ever

—I'm interested in Longclaw as Sonic's "Obi-Wan" guardian. She's barely in it, but I'd be down to learn more about her in IDW comics or something. I like the general concept of Sonic raised by an old owl.

—Robotnik and Sonic being from two different worlds. It makes sense that, over the course of the games, this version of Robotnik would eventually decide that he could take over all of Mobius and rule an entire planet, and then invade Earth as conquerer. It takes a lot of bending but there's a way to look at all of Sonic media as being one giant messy continuity where "everything happened" .... in this sense, this movie is very much "Sonic: Year One"

Things I Thought Were Strange

There were so many references to the Mushroom World... besides Mushroom Hill Zone, mushrooms aren't really a thing with Sonic... they are, obviously, a thing with Mario. Was the idea of trapping Robotnik here a sort of reference to Mario?? Why mushrooms???

—I don't really get why they gave him electric lightning powers? That's usually been associated with other speedsters like The Flash but it's never really been a thing with Sonic, but... whatever.

—I'm okay with rings being portals but I don't really get how that squares with how the regular magic rings operate in the game, kinda wish they'd made a connection somehow. Seems like they should've been Chaos Emeralds, or
it would've been cool if last thing we see Robotnik find on the Mushroom World is a Chaos Emerald which will allow him to escape

If Sonic has no friends, how does Tails know who he is?
I suppose we'll find out in a sequel which is almost guaranteed after the opening.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
If Sonic has no friends, how does Tails know who he is?
I suppose we'll find out in a sequel which is almost guaranteed after the opening.

Considering that many years pass by after Sonic first enters the human world, Tails probably wouldn't have even been alive yet, or at least he would've been too young to remember Sonic.

Most likely there's a crisis on Tails' home world and they just coincidentally sent him to seek out Sonic's power without the two of them meeting yet.

(Great write-up, btw!)

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Considering that many years pass by after Sonic first enters the human world, Tails probably wouldn't have even been alive yet, or at least he would've been too young to remember Sonic.

Most likely there's a crisis on Tails' home world and they just coincidentally sent him to seek out Sonic's power without the two of them meeting yet.

(Great write-up, btw!)

Thanks! Yeah that's my assumption too, I'm assuming the sequel will be their "first" meeting.