• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Your Rotten Tomatoes score prediction?

• >90%

Votes: 68 7.8%
  • 75-90%

Votes: 97 11.1%
  • 60-75%

Votes: 234 26.8%
  • 45-60%

Votes: 293 33.6%
  • 30-45%

Votes: 113 12.9%
  • 15-30%

Votes: 50 5.7%
  • 0-15%

Votes: 18 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kermode review

I don't know what he's on about regarding The Lego Movie here, but he gives the Sonic Movie the review of "Not terrible".

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I don't know what he's on about regarding The Lego Movie here

I think you could make a very strong argument that Lego Movie wasn't based so much on the idea of playing with Legos as it was built around storytelling ideas from the Traveller's Tales Lego games, for example. I think that's a fairly reasonable thing to say in the face of getting The Lego Batman Movie.

Also I have now had the idea of "The Sonic Lego Movie" planted in my head and you know what, sure. Let's get the band back together.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Was trying to see it with some friends but only seats available were right in front of the screen. Already different from last week when great seats were available for BoP.

Guess many don't care about the middling reviews. Will hopefully see it tomorrow.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
giphy01j08.gif

Hmmm? https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-sonic-zooms-3m-thursday-previews-1279356

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I saw it.

It's pretty decent.

They clearly tried to add a narrative that Sonic misses, and I don't think they did a bad a job at it, even if it was a bit classic.

What really worked is how cute Sonic is, and I can't believe the horror of the initial design ever was greenlit. Like the film would literally be a disaster without this redesign.

Jim Carrey got a few laughs from me near the end and with the credits scene.

It's a heartwarming film, obviously it's for kids, but it has charm. If you do like Sonic, I think you'll enjoy it.

The easter eggs were really cool throughout. They weren't pushed in your face, just like respectful nods.

If you want my comparison with Pikachu, I will say this, I thought the first 2/3 of Detective Pikachu, were really great, super solid on every level, but the last third was embarrassingly awful.
This film doesn't ever reach the heights of PIkachu, but there is nothing remotely close to how awful the final act of PIkachu is.

Definitely worth a watch. There were a lot of really neat moments. And Sonic is cool again. The human cast was not unbearable. Which is enough for me.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Was that the VA from the games doing Tails' voice? Sure sounded like it.

It was.

Also the entire movie was redesigned, it's made evident in the intro + credits.

I really hope we get a BTS bonus bluray footage to see the original stuff.

And then people can make edit it as a horror film.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it, it was a good movie, it really feels like the producers and writers actually gave a crap about the source material

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Anyone got a photo of the post credits spoiler

I don't wanna wait until I see it tomorrow. I wanna see now :D

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching it and I'm shocked at how enjoyable it was. It's often dumb but it knows it is dumb. Jim Carrey was great as Eggman. If they make a sequel I am 100% down for it.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt I might watch the movie but Ben Schwartz has been making the rounds on some podcasts I listen to, his Comedy Bang Bang appearance was great lol

www.earwolf.com

Solo Bolo Sonicolo - Earwolf

Ben Schwartz and Scott are back together for another long-awaited Solo Bolo! Expect singing as they chat about Ben’s original Sonic voice for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie, working with Billy Crystal on the movie Standing Up, Falling Down, and play a game of Pitch a Sit-song. Plus, another...

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I loved it. I wish they played the classic SEEEEEEGAAAA sound though. Totally going to buy a Blu-ray.

Anyone have a pic of:
the Chao figurine inside the van? I totally missed that little cameo

Last edited:

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to be eating crow. Seeing this hopefully on Sunday. I just read on Wikipedia that Yuji Naka was initially supposed to appear as an extra but was forgotten during production. That sucks!

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Watched it last night and damn near every theater in NY was full or two-three seats away from being full. Post credits scene was met with cheers and applause.
It was very fun to watch. Would be interested in a sequel.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really sad that my theater in Brazil was pretty much empty. Guess not many people care about Sonic over here.

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
After watching the movie I am a fan of Dr Robotnik. This movie really did wonders for giving that character life. Him and his tech had so much nerd swag at many points in this movie. I want to see him win. He is Dr doom of the sonic franchise.

Vague Rant

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I just read on Wikipedia that Yuji Naka was initially supposed to appear as an extra but was forgotten during production. That sucks!
Of the people behind Sonic, Naka seems like the weirdest choice to make an appearance anyway. Naota Oshima designed the character and Hirokazu Yasuhara designed the games. Yuji Naka was (and probably is) a brilliant programmer and his work made the games possible, and he did a lot more design work later in his career, but he has this weird reputation as the Sega equivalent of Miyamoto to Mario which diminishes the fact that the creative side of Sonic's creation came entirely from elsewhere.

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
Its a really fun movie and to be honest its review score is really low. I'd say its a 7.5 definitely. Nothing groundbreaking but a genuinely good movie made with passion and no bad performances.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Of the people behind Sonic, Naka seems like the weirdest choice to make an appearance anyway. Naota Oshima designed the character and Hirokazu Yasuhara designed the games. Yuji Naka was (and probably is) a brilliant programmer and his work made the games possible, and he did a lot more design work later in his career, but he has this weird reputation as the Sega equivalent of Miyamoto to Mario which diminishes the fact that the creative side of Sonic's creation came entirely from elsewhere.
I am pretty bummed the cameo never happened. I love stuff like that! Even if it was super small like Peter Moore and Rikiya Nakagawa in House of the Dead it would have been really sweet to see.

Yuji Naka's role with Sonic is absolutely exaggerated, but similar to someone like Inafune with Mega Man him going on to lead a major studio within the company is hugely significant as he remained in control of the franchise and shaped it for years and years.

Yu Suzuki was for sure SEGA's Miyamoto, but his creations oftentimes did not have faces in the same way Sonic, Phantasy Star or even something like NiGHTS does so I can kinda understand where those people come from.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After watching the movie I am a fan of Dr Robotnik. This movie really did wonders for giving that character life. Him and his tech had so much nerd swag at many points in this movie. I want to see him win. He is Dr doom of the sonic franchise.

"A lesser man would be dead. I'll be home by Christmas."

We rightly praise his comedic antics but I'll be damned if Carrey didn't make Robotnik downright menacing at times.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
"A lesser man would be dead. I'll be home by Christmas."

We rightly praise his comedic antics but I'll be damned if Carrey didn't make Robotnik downright menacing at times.
Yeah it's established he's a real threat who's taken out previous crisis. He shows you can do the screwball screwup that's a threat that the games don't show as well

Oct 27, 2017
Family and I watched it today. Great movie, laughs from all of us. It felt like a Sonic movie made by people who understood Sonic's material and did dutifully by it. Recommended to see.