• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1

I applaud Sega of America and Ruby Eclipse for using this opportunity to raise brand awareness while promoting something that can do a lot of good. May they show us all "the way".

UPDATE

Last edited:

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Good content, captializing a bad meme into something that will actually help people

The artist for that Knuckles thing should be paid too

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
That's a novel way of diverting energy from a mildly(?) racist meme towards something worthwhile. I'm impressed.

Oct 25, 2017
They are pretty right about the first one being the small brain.

I still laugh at the Knuckles meme, but I can't deny its incredibly low brow humor.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
0e3.png

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The sad thing about this is that the original drawing had no context to Uganda or any racist connotations. Some other assholes turned it into this terrible Ugandan warrior meme. But yeah, great to see the Sonic account making the best of this!

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Donating money doesn't make the meme any less horribly racist; not sure how I feel about Sega's official Twitter repeating it. Even in the way they did.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Very cool way to transform the meme. I've made my peace with standard Ugandan Knuckles in hopes that it'll dissipate when the next VRChat fad happens, but I've been researching Uganda more than before and this certainly helps.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Now that is a good way to bring this meme to the masses. Huge props to the Sonic Twitter account for this. They spun a ridiculous meme into something that can be used for good.

I'm definitely donating.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Donating money doesn't make the meme any less horribly racist, not sure how I feel about Sega's official Twitter repeating it. Even in the way they did.

A wise guy once said "Let's convert negativity into positivity, rather than confront them in social media as it just causes flame wars"

I don't know who is the wise guy that said this

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
A wise guy once said "Let's convert negativity into positivity, rather than confront them in social media as it just causes flame wars"

I don't know who is the wise guy that said this

They could have just ignored the meme. The problem here is that the meme has now been made "official" by a Sega owned Twitter account.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
They could have just ignored the meme. The problem here is that the meme has now been made "official" by a Sega owned Twitter account.

If you are the social media manager of Sonic account. How would you:

- Encourage people to donate to Uganda
- Raise awareness regarding the real situation in Uganda
- With no to little backlash from people who likes the meme
- With no to little backlash from people who don't like the meme

Well they could just ignore, the first two and go on post other memes and promote their games...

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
If you are the social media manager of Sonic account. How would you:

- Encourage people to donate to Uganda
- Raise awareness regarding the real situation in Uganda
- With no to little backlash from people who likes the meme
- With no to little backlash from people who don't like the meme

Well they could just ignore, the first two and go on post other memes and promote their games...

I'd just ignore the meme.

Encouraging people to donate is great, and I don't want to discount that. It's for this reason that I feel mildly conflicted about this.

Ultimately, however, donating to a cause doesn't give you a license to be racist—and by extension, I don't think that encouraging others to donate to a cause justifies acknowledging a racist meme on an official Twitter account.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Which might be a good thing, memes die quick when they go mainstream.

Is this really a thing? Does making a meme more mainstream encourage people to stop using it? I can't imagine why that would happen, regardless of whatever anecdotal evidence exists. The people who originally found the meme funny will still find it funny—but now more people will be introduced to it.

Of course, all memes will eventually die out, one way or another.

Unless it's about Square Enix shooting itself in the foot, in which case it will never get old.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I hate this dumb meme and kept seeing it pop up all week. I'm really glad someone was able to put a positive spin on the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.