• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
So educate yourself. I really hate it when people come in hemming and hawing about of impenetrable terms used by minorities are. In the time it took you to write this post you could have googled whatever was confusing you.
Did it take you 5 minutes to type this or something? I edited my post literally 3 seconds after I posted lmao.

Relevance of Ronda Rousey, voice actor of Sonya Blade

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
For those just joining us, he's taking aim at Ronda Rousey as she voices Sonya in MK11. And at the risk of tooting my own horn:

And if the tweet doesn't say it already, I'll say it here: fuck TERFs.

Last edited:

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. Stuff like this makes me realise how old I am. None of this makes any sense to me as I'm not on social media. I'm 'only' 37. I feel for anyone over fifty as this is assault of acronyms must be totally over their heads!
I'm older than you and I know what this all means.

You're not old.

Just disinterested and probably a little bit lazy.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly what I am talking about - stop spreading misogyny and hate
What you posted has zero relevance to this topic. Sonicfox is making a statement about Rhonda Rousey's inclusion in the game and more broadly condemning the toxicity of TERF behavior. You ran in here to answer a question nobody asked about a law nobody's talking about in this thread.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised ERA seems to stand behind this guy when he says shit like shit:
https://twitter.com/SonicFox5000/status/1122447150753955840
So did people change their mind on the fact that video game violence against women promote real life violence and misoginistic behavior irl or?

Genuine question, do have something to back this up, a study or something?

I'm in the sexualised character design thread quite a bit and don't remember anyone being critical of female characters engaging in and being the victim of violence in fighting games.

I would be interested to read about it though.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Oh boy. If they're upset over that, I wonder how bad it would have been if he chose to use a fatality on her instead.
SonicFox always knows how to ruffle the right feathers lol
I don't think I'll ever stop being annoyed with their decision to replace Sonya's voice actor with Ronda. Ugh.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad Sonicfox is one of the biggest names in the FGC right now. He's good at the games he plays, and more importantly as a person. That doesn't happen nearly enough.

Oct 25, 2017
Many women who dare to suggest that any man who declares himself a women should not immediately be able to compete in women's sports, use women's facilities, women's prisons, be included in women's crime statistics or use rape shelters are being branded TERFs and subject to vile abuse - it is totally unacceptable. Lesbians who say they would not have sex with a transwomen who has a penis are even being branded as transphobic - its their bodies they can do what they want.

That's because - surprise - that's transphobic! Men aren't going around and declaring themselves as women to invade spaces. That lie has been perpetuated by TERFs for at least a decade or two in attempts to villanize trans women in the public eye and condemn them. People who are complaining that they're being called bigots are more concerned with being branded as a bigot than realizing what they're saying is exactly what they're being accused of. Your suggested 'safeguards' are merely gatekeeping, something that trans women have already suffered enough of and can be held back from medically transitioning due to further gatekeeping designed to make trans lives as difficult as possible.

Should be careful to not have any mirrors around when throwing around the word 'ignorant' - due diligence and all that.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It stands for feminists who "support women" unless they're sex workers.
a form of feminism that is discriminatory against sex workers
Right, but is it specifically against the sex workers themselves or the idea of sex work?

For example I've always held the belief that sex work can never be done with consent as money in itself is a form of coercion and that while being a sex worker should not be criminal at all (and should be given all possible help to escape that life), johns, traffickers, pimps, madams, etc should be prosecuted.

That's not what these swerfs believe, right?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
For those just joining us, he's taking aim at Ronda Rousey as he voices Sonya in MK11. And at the risk of tooting my own horn:

And if the tweet doesn't say it already, I'll say it here: fuck TERFs.

Since I don't follow MK I had completely forgotten about this. I'm assuming (or hoping, at least) most of the people clutching their pearls about it weren't aware either.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Right, but is it specifically against the sex workers themselves or the idea of sex work?

For example I've always held the belief that sex work can never be done with consent as money in itself is a form of coercion and that while being a sex worker should not be criminal at all, johns, traffickers, pimps, madams, etc should be prosecuted.

Do you think sexworkers are worth less than other women and shouldn't be protected?

EDIT: Just to clarify: That's what SWERFs do.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018

You're not old.

The irony of these forums doesn't escape me. The message that I live by is 'treat others like you yourself would like to be treated'. I don't live by any gods and I like to formulate my own opinions rather than follow trends or movements.

Yet everytime I post a message on this forum that doesn't fall inline with the expected response then I feel like I've done something wrong /bullied in someway.

It's a shame really as I do think it's the veil of animosity that the internet breeds that causes the reaction of aggression, rather than empathy- consultation that real life brings to the fold.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonicfox rules, fuck terfs, trans rights are human rights.

The Contrapoints "Gender Critical" video is a good overview of the weird current Online Terf Discourse.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I wonder if there will be a critical point of acronyms where its just too much to remember for anyone. I don't mean specifically social issue ones like this, I just mean any acronyms. There are so many!

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

For example I've always held the belief that sex work can never be done with consent as money in itself is a form of coercion and that while being a sex worker should not be criminal at all, johns, traffickers, pimps, madams, etc should be prosecuted.

i don't mean to be dismissive but this is one of those things you can look up and get the whole breadth of their ideology faster than i could regurgitate it for you

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Sonicfox is great. Should've followed his Twitter ages ago.

Oh, and fuck TERFs.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Unfortunately, nope:

SWERFs also make sex workers the target of bullying and abuse through doxxing — the public release of someone's private contact information and/or personal address — protesting and picketing against safe and legal sex work, and pushing for legislation that endangers the rights and safety of sex workers. SWERF is closely tied to TERF, or trans-exclusionary radical feminism, which promotes mistreatment and oppression of trans women and transgender people through similar means. Both SWERF and TERF constitute anti-feminist hate groups which in no way represent feminism as a whole.

https://femmagazine.com/feminism-101-what-is-a-swerf/

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there will be a critical point of acronyms where its just too much to remember for anyone. I don't mean specifically social issue ones like this, I just mean any acronyms. There are so many!
Takes a few seconds to Google something and get what it means.

This shit is not hard.

And when it comes to pronouns and gender identity, all it takes is listening to individuals.

Again, not hard.

Oct 25, 2017
The irony of these forums doesn't escape me. The message that I live by is 'treat others like you yourself would like to be treated'. I don't live by any gods and I like to formulate my own opinions rather than follow trends or movements.

Yet everytime I post a message on this forum that doesn't fall inline with the expected response then I feel like I've done something wrong /bullied in someway.

It's a shame really as I do think it's the veil of animosity that the internet breeds that causes the reaction of aggression, rather than empathy- consultation that real life brings to the fold.

I think the point being made is that, for all the time it's taken you to finger wag at people, you could have just looked up the acronym on the very machine you're using. As one should do whenever presented with something they don't recognize! "Empathy" has very little to do with researching in order to formulate said opinion, though I do agree that being able to speak to people face-to-face can result in a better connection to the struggles another lives with.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

You're not old.

Pretty much.

In general terms, I'm so fucking sick of "ignorance boasting". I can understand it when the subject matter is something (or someone) inane that'd pretty much reflect well not knowing about, but basic social issues like this? Is being ignorant of transgender abuse really the one thing you want to proudly signal? The fuck?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Also to all the people who don't get terms like TERF and SWERF etc...

It would be good if you read up a little on gender identity, trans peoples, sex workers, LGBTQ+ struggles etc...

Even if this stuff doesn't affect you directly, if you have any interest in fighting for equality or being an ally it would help you to understand what some of us are up against and why incidents like this highlight some pretty horrible truths.

And yeh, I get it might not be a priority for some. Life is fucking hard regardless, but if you have even a passing interest it won't take long to understand the basics.

If you like video formats look up ContraPoints on YT.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I wonder if this will become a big enough deal to get an alternative Sonya VA. A bunch of us just won't use the character because she's voiced by TERFtastic Rhonda. Doing the character tutorial honestly felt kind of gross. But she's received so much mainstream criticism for her aggressively poor performance that NRS/WB might appreciate the excuse to provide an alternative voice. Hell, not even for story mode, I'd take just not having to listen to Rousey's voice during pre-fight banter and gameplay.

You're not old.

So educate yourself. I really hate it when people come in hemming and hawing about of impenetrable terms used by minorities are. In the time it took you to write this post you could have googled whatever was confusing you.

Whoa whoa whoa! Let's keep the hostility aimed at the right people. TERFs and SWERFs are bigots. People ignorant of the acronyms simply haven't encountered them before, so how about we draw them into the conversation rather than shame them for not being part of it already?

Edit: Fuck ignorance boasting too. But I'm seeing less of that in this thread than ignorance shaming.

Also not down with the guy who took a shot at furries earlier in the thread. Fuck kinkshaming too, tbh.

Tangentially related; someone mentioned SonicFox explaining REEFs earlier in the thread. I don't have time to go through his tweets right now, and on this occasion Google was no help. Mind helping me out?

Last edited:

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory thread derail; hijacking sensitive discussion over a series of posts.
I think the point being made is that, for all the time it's taken you to finger wag at people, you could have just looked up the acronym on the very machine you're using. As one should do whenever presented with something they don't recognize! "Empathy" has very little to do with researching in order to formulate said opinion, though I do agree that being able to speak to people face-to-face can result in a better connection to the struggles another lives with.

I wasn't finger wagging at anyone? It was an open and honest admittence that I have never heard of this term in my life. And I'm familiar with the plight of Caster Semenya during the Olympics and never heard this acronym once.

Now that I've heard it in the relevant context I can associate it correctly. All I'm saying is there's a lot of aggressive stances on this post which is needless as in sure everyone is on the same page and is in agreement with each other. Therefore the hate is a bit ironic given the subject nature?

Oct 26, 2017
UK
A hero of our times.

Gender identity's such a fucking easy concept to understand and deal with in a way that would greatly improve the lives of one of the persecuted minorities across that it's pathetic that it's fucking embarrassing an associate editor is getting herself dragged like this and horrifying that the scumbag won't be fired for being so bigoted.

TERFs and SWERFs are some of the worst people on the planet and only serve to enforce patriarchy.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I wonder if this will become a big enough deal to get an alternative Sonya VA. A bunch of us just won't use the character because she's voiced by TERFtastic Rhonda. Doing the character tutorial honestly felt kind of gross. But she's received so much mainstream criticism for her aggressively poor performance that NRS/WB might appreciate the excuse to provide an alternative voice. Hell, not even for story mode, I'd take just not having to listen to Rousey's voice during pre-fight banter and gameplay.

It's not unprecedented. Bungie got rid of Peter Dinklange, a person both more popular and less problematic than Rousey, from Destiny because he turned out to be such an awful VA. It'll make my Switch purchase in a week and a half more guilt-free that's for sure.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sonicfox keeps on winning.

Fuck terfs. Also fuck people talking shit about sex workers. Let women do what they want with their bodies.

Thriftweed

Nov 2, 2017
There are TERFs in the local punk scene where I live who often bang on about inclusion and community, yet hold some horrible toxic views.

Fuck TERFs

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa whoa whoa! Let's keep the hostility aimed at the right people.
The bar for what constitutes 'hostility' has been lowered to below freezing these days.

There are any number of ways one has at their disposal to demystify new, unfamiliar terms first seen on social media.
1. Just ask! Several people in this thread did and were immediately enlightened.
2. Look it up! Some folks also did that and came back to this thread informed and ready to visibly support our trans friends, even if for some fucking reason random goobers can't do so without having an opinion about furries (yes that was hostile)

The thing to maybe not do is toss in vague remarks about their difficulty with following two short acronyms and quip about how 'the olds' are struggling to learn new things about the political landscape of the 21st century which is for one thing completely incorrect, suggesting that it's only old people who struggle and for another thing just a teensy-weensy bit ageist, so I won't suffer people who try to wave an "i'm the victim here" flag when their tomfoolery gets clowned.

This is not a call for direct compliance to toe the line and bow to how the rest of the forum reacts, this is a quickie FAQ on how to actually participate in a discussion that affects your fellow forum members when you have at best an incomplete understanding of the facts or no personal skin in the game.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Trans rights are human rights.
I'm glad to see sonicfox tweeting support.

Fuck TERFS and most of all fuck Graham Linehan.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

It's quite something to come into a thread about transgender struggles, boasting not to know the first thing about them, then complaining about "lack of empathy" because they're being told to use google. As opposed to empathy towards, you know, actual transgender people.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't finger wagging at anyone? It was an open and honest admittence that I have never heard of this term in my life. And I'm familiar with the plight of Caster Semenya during the Olympics and never heard this acronym once.

Now that I've heard it in the relevant context I can associate it correctly. All I'm saying is there's a lot of aggressive stances on this post which is needless as in sure everyone is on the same page and is in agreement with each other. Therefore the hate is a bit ironic given the subject nature?

Honestly... I get that it's hard when people give you shit for saying "I don't understand" but the reason that we GET shit at all is ignorance.

It would have taken you a few minutes to research, get a basic idea, and THEN post with an slightly more informed take and perhaps ask some questions from a standpoint that shows you care a little.

Coming in and saying "I don't get this" just feels like more ignorance for us to push against, even if your own was not coming from a hostile place.

I hope you can take this the right way and not feel like your'e a victim, because you're not. We have to deal with SO much ignorant hostility and a lot of that is perpetuated by general ignorance, malicious or not.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
SonicFox is good people. Fuck TERFs.

Also if you can't be assed to spend 5 seconds to look up what a term means and come in flaunting your ignorance on human rights issues then fuck you too

Last edited:

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Regarding the specific terms and people not being familiar with them: I personally wouldn't tell someone to google it if they asked here, but like literally the first google result on my end for TERF and SWERF explains pretty succintly what they are. It only takes a few seconds.

TBH, if you hang around the right places you mostly pick up on stuff like this via osmosis. I knew what they were for years because I hang out in a few other leftist communities/follow some LGBT+ people on twitter who regularly speak about these issues.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Instead making the conversation about how you're old and out of touch, just look something up the same as you would look up any unfamiliar word in an online dictionary.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Takes a few seconds to Google something and get what it means.

This shit is not hard.

And when it comes to pronouns and gender identity, all it takes is listening to individuals.

Again, not hard.

I didn't say it was "hard". Just stumbled upon several new acronyms I've never heard of. In my opinion it obfuscates the information needlessly, which doesn't help with the ignorance problem regarding the subject matter you're rallying against.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say it was "hard". Just stumbled upon several new acronyms I've never heard of. In my opinion it obfuscates the information needlessly, which doesn't help with the ignorance problem regarding the subject matter you're rallying against.

Acronyms are like, a normal thing though. People ain't gettign up in arms about acronyms in general.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
See my post above.

Ignorance is WHY we have so much hateful shit to deal with.

People dropping in reminding us how many people are ignorant to our plight because they don't care enough to inform themselves of our plight is hurtful.

This is not an attack on anyone, I hope you can understand why it upsets us to read so many "I don't get it posts".

The terminology is not hard to understand if you take a few minutes to research the very basics.