• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Good to see he is comfortable in being open about his sexuality - as he should be. Got absolutely nothing to hide. Also good to see him getting support.

Hopefully, someday saying "I'm gay" doesn't generate threads such as this. Not because this thread is negative, but because being gay is accepted with zero discrimination - just like being straight. So no one feels the need to say "I'm gay". Make sense?

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think the poster is intending to say that being gay, and saying that you're gay, should be met with the same level of "oh neat" that saying you're lactose intolerant would receive.

I'm worried anything I say is going to come off as trying to brush stuff off, etc. Again, that's not my intention.

I'm wondering how much of the backlash towards this man stating he's gay is towards the "we get it, you vape" mentality, and how much of it is towards the "I hate gay people" mentality. Does it even matter? Is there a difference? I don't know the answers to these questions, and it would be interesting to hear the opinions of those in this thread who are clearly more "woke" than I am.

I'm just trying to learn! :)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried anything I say is going to come off as trying to brush stuff off, etc. Again, that's not my intention.

I'm wondering how much of the backlash towards this man stating he's gay is towards the "we get it, you vape" mentality, and how much of it is towards the "I hate gay people" mentality. Does it even matter? Is there a difference? I don't know the answers to these questions, and it would be interesting to hear the opinions of those in this thread who are clearly more "woke" than I am.

I'm just trying to learn! :)

It's worth pointing out that when it comes to queer sexuality a lot of the "we get it you vape" mentality is just thinly disguised homophobia masking as politeness. Casual prejudice is still prejudice.

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's worth pointing out that when it comes to queer sexuality a lot of the "we get it you vape" mentality is just thinly disguised homophobia masking as politeness. Casual prejudice is still prejudice.

Interesting. Is that more often than not the case? Is there a way to be annoyed by somebody frequently stating the same thing over and over without it not coming off as masked homophobia? If somebody was annoying for frequently stating "I vape", is it possible for that same person to be annoying for constantly stating "I'm gay"? Or is it homophobic to be annoyed by a gay person at all?

These are all genuine questions. Sorry if I sound like an idiot for asking. No hate or anything intended!

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Interesting. Is that more often than not the case? Is there a way to be annoyed by somebody frequently stating the same thing over and over without it not coming off as masked homophobia? If somebody was annoying for frequently stating "I vape", is it possible for that same person to be annoying for constantly stating "I'm gay"? Or is it homophobic to be annoyed by a gay person at all?

These are all genuine questions. Sorry if I sound like an idiot for asking. No hate or anything intended!

If people are so annoyed at Fox, they could, you know, just stop following him. Or mute him. Instead some people decided to make compilations of all the times he said "I'm gay" to somehow paint him as the root cause of homophobia. Like, do you think people are justified in getting upset at the fact there are gay clubs, where gay people go to be as gay as they want without being judged? For some people, their social media is an extension to that, it's a kind of safe place to be whoever they want to be. If it annoys you, just leave.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
also like, the OP literally has a tweet where sonicfox points out he's said "i'm gay" a handful of times over the course of literally thousands of tweets so the whole "when are we allowed to be annoyed by people constantly saying i'm gay" bit seems really suspect my friend

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
People get more mad about people proudly proclaiming their sexuality in a world that's still hostile to it than they do literal threats of violence.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When simply stating it leads to the kind of venemous and toxic reactions you are seeing both in this thread and on the internet in general, then no we are not yet (if ever) at a point where it doesn't need to be said. The playing field is not equal. First step is acknowledging that, which far too many refuse to do. This is not some "both sides" bullshit. Somebody simply stating what they are is not in any way at fault for or contributing to the problem. That's ridiculous.
Agreed.

The normal reaction to someone saying "I'm gay" should just be something like "cool" or "right on man." Or even no reaction at all. Reacting to it in any negative sort of proves Fox's point.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Please excuse my ignorance. It's important for me to state up front that I have no issue with Sonicfox stating that he's gay. This post has less to do with the obvious upset this has inexplicably caused and more to do with the "lactose intolerant" statement. There's inevitably going to be a connection drawn, but I don't intend it that way.

That being said, it would annoy the hell out of me if in every interaction we have together you stated, "I'm lactose intolerant." It's the "We get it, you vape" meme.

The clear difference in this case being that lactose intolerant people and folks who vape aren't oppressed by years of negativity. I just don't think your analogy works the same, is all.

But hey, maybe there's a more obvious way these things go together that I'm not seeing.

This is an interesting topic. Thanks for all the insightful posts, all.

I think the "we get it you vape" meme is inherently flawed. It exists because you want to dislike people who vape because they are different (they vape), because it challenges the way you yourself act (you smoke regular cigarettes/you don't smoke). Because you dislike this difference between you and them, you (your memory) remember better the occurences during which the topic was brought.

Thaat's what the tweet in the OP is about.

That is to say, with the milk example: your friend is lactose intolerant.
And somehow, almost every time milk is brought up in a conversation (or allergies, or diets), this friend speaks about how he is lactose intolerant (because someone present doesn't know, or because it is actualy relevant to the conversation). And you remember this more easily, because it makes you think about the way you eat, or the way you cook (if you are hosting your friend for example). And so, every time you think about your friend, the fact he is lactose intolerant is among the first thing you think about. Somehow, you now believe he never stops talking about this. Because the regular conversations you have with him, well, they are that, regular conversations. You don't necessarily remember them, or the topics brought up, but lactose intolerance is not one of those.
And now, every time your friend brings lactose intolerance to the table, you'll get annoyed because you (your memory) will think you always talk about it when you are with him. So, not "every interaction" you have together are about lactose intolerance, but your brain surely remembers it as if.

Now if you replace "lactose intolerance" with "I'm gay". Let's say you get annoyed by it, is it homophobia ? I think it might be in a way. Your brain remembers this particular sentence more than others because it stands out to you. Why does it stand out ?
Because you are not confortable with someone being open with their sexuality ? In that case, that would not be homophobia, but it's still something to work on, imo.
Because you are not confortable with homosexuality being brought up ? Then I really can't see this as anything other than homophobia: you are okay with the sentence "I'm straight", but not okay with "I'm gay".

Think to yourself, you say you would be annoyed by the lactose intolerant friend, would you be too if anytime you brings milk/diets/allergies in a conversation someone said "I'm NOT lactose intolerant"? If so, it just means you are not interested in the subject, and so you would like to stop talking about milk completely.
The "we get it you vape" meme is stupid because it's a rejection of something new. People who use it do not care if someone smokes, or doesn't smoke. But they care if they vape. Because it's new, unusual, and they think it looks stupid or something.

It's the same with homosexuality. Gay people weren't so open about it before. And so straight people might have "discovered" it was real. It was not just a thing of fiction, kept for other people: maybe one of their friend or family was actually gay all this time. And they did not like it, because people dislike the unkown. To them, it was like a cold shower: they do not live in their fantasied world where every one is somehow straight.
And so they need to change their entire conception of the world. And that is a scary thing to do: challenging what you have heard and been taught you entire life, when you already are a grown-up, (you know, the one that is supposed to be wise and knowledgeable) is a hard thing to do. That is why it took centuries for the flat earth theories to be challenged, because people wanted to live in what they thought was the truth. Becausestaying true to what you already knaw (or think you know) is easier than challenging your entire conception of the world.

Because if the entire world is not how you thought it was, then what does that mean about you ? Maybe you are not who you think you are, maybe you are a bad person. And that thought is scary.

(Edit: also, I'm not sure if I'm clear enough here, but when I say "you", I'm not talking about you specifically, just a random guy who would be annoyed by all this)

So, imo, being annoyed by him saying "I'm gay" is a form of homophobia (or prudishness ?). You say you would be annoyed by the lactose intolerant guy. But that is in the case where indeed every time you speaks to him, no matter the topic, he brought it up. But that is unlikely, and that is not the case with Sonicfox.

Even if it was indeed the case. Even if your gay friend did bring the topic every times he opens his mouth. What does it say about him ? It's not just a call for attention or something, but maybe it is rather because he was bullied because of it and had to hide it, or his parents were being homophobic in front of him and so he couldn't talk about it to them. I don't know, some more psychological stuff. But the thing is, if he does talk about it with you, it's because he feels confortable enough to do so with you. And you shouldn't try to keep him shut. If he needs to talk about it, then let it be. It's never okay to keep things such as this inside one's self. So don't try to shut him up, or tell him that's the only thing he ever talks about. Be supportive, engage in the conversation, and maybe, with time, this will stop, because he doesn't feel the need to anymore.

Last edited:

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
also like, the OP literally has a tweet where sonicfox points out he's said "i'm gay" a handful of times over the course of literally thousands of tweets so the whole "when are we allowed to be annoyed by people constantly saying i'm gay" bit seems really suspect my friend

Haha, I wasn't referring to Sonicfox's situation when asking that question. If I'm being honest, I don't know a lot about his situation. I was just curious whether or not it's ever deemed OK to be annoyed by the frequency of which "I'm gay" is said, or if it should always be condemned under the assumption that the person being annoyed has homophobic intentions.

No need to suspect anything. If this is a subtle jab in the ribs for me to shut the hell up and stop asking questions, I'll be happy to do so. Message received. I was just interested in the etiquette of the whole thing. Take care. :)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So I think it's possible that people can come at this from the perspective of "I understand and accept your sexuality and you don't have to jump up and down about it" but I feel even that comes from a place of privilege (oh no I said the magic word). Like, it's intrinsically tied to the idea that queer folks are trying to prove themselves to their straight/cis peers when in actuality the pride movement comes from the rejection of the normalizing of queerphobia.

I feel that if someone is saying "I'm gay" over and over there's greater issues at work with regards to them establishing their identities in a heteronormative society, and even if there aren't we should never diminish their desire to express pride in their identity.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why?

I honestly find posts such as this condescending. Especially if you are straight. I don't think you mean it, but it just comes across that way to me.

I get your angle, but I do think SonicFox and the attitude he has is needed and I say that as a white/straight guy.

Perhaps not the one we, as ERA's community, necessarily need. But the FGC and the gaming community does indeed need someone like him.

I mean that as SonicFox is in a position of power, the dude fucking bodies everyone he crosses path with, he shares his winning pots with his opponents, wins awards and most importantly, he's proud of what he is, gay and black, and does not fear yelling on social medias. He undeniably has a good heart and shows it. It is good that there's such a strong LGBT representative at such a high place in rankings and being exposed like that to the public, I think it can only bring good things. He's a good person to have around when the community is known for not being the most progressive one, and I'm being extremely polite when I write it like that. Perhaps his presence and actions can open some eyes on the fact that homosexual people aren't some monster voodoo bullshit that some haters think they are.

Last edited:

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
Why?

I honestly find posts such as this condescending. Especially if you are straight. I don't think you mean it, but it just comes across that way to me.
because he is fucking exceptional at what he does. He is also proud of who he is. The perfect representation of a minority group to raise the rest of his group up with him.

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
sonic fox is as good at riling up the garbage on twitter as he is at fighting games. we are blessed to witness this tbh

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

It's possible you're being genuine but I can't help visualizing Tucker Carlson when I'm reading your posts, lol.

But I don't really see the point in your comparison, especially in this context. This thread concerns one person's Twitter feed; you're not forced to read what they have to say as you can easily opt out by not reading their tweets, so you can't really say "am I not allowed to be annoyed by the frequent use of this word".

If you're out taking a walk and a person invades your space by following you and constantly utters "I vape" or "I'm gay" or whatever, you're not really bothered by what they're saying but rather the fact that they're invading your space. Unless you're offended by those words of course, in which case I'd argue you're the issue and not the words themselves.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me when I was heavy into the FGC community back in the day and when Tekken tag was a big thing and there was a local guy who was kinda famous in the fgc community for tekken tag on the east coast in my area, anyways there was one dude in the group that played with him and others often who was gay. And this guy destroyed the kinda famous dude in a local tournament and the guy got so pissed... he called him the F word. They never spoke to each other again after that. That guy was such a douche. Nobody really liked him but he was popular in the tekken community just cause of his skills, but like, people lowkey hated his personality.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
the last time i heard sonicfox speak about his sexuality was at the game awards. the last time before that was...never i think. it's almost like it's that easy to not see if it's something that bothers you (it shouldn't be though)

won't someone think of the TOs trying to put a medal around sonicfox's mask?
Same here. I seen him live at the game awards now I've seen this thread. People giving out about him not only are they wrong but they must be going out of their way to get annoyed.