• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
So it wasn't my imagination that I thought Republicans secretly love furry culture than Democrats.

I don't know about that.

In 2015, 600 out of 6,386 Anthrocon registrants were under 19; last year that number jumped to 891 out of 7,306. Since attendees under 12 don't have to register as long as they're accompanied by a guardian, the true number of young furries in attendance was likely much greater.

The trend reflects what's true among the larger furry community: The subculture is drawing a substantial—and growing—youth cohort. About 33 percent of respondents to the last Furry Poll, the self-designated largest continuing survey of furry fandom, report their age as between 15 and 19. The forum Furry Teens boasts nearly 5,000 members. While Anthrocon isn't the only Furry meetup with under 18 programming, it is the largest and most visible—though there's been a push to incorporate more events for younger furries elsewhere. For instance, Texas Furry Fiesta incorporates family-friendly (e.g., G-rated) events for parents and their children.

Dr. Courtney Plante is a researcher with the International Anthropomorphic Research Project (IARP)—"a multidisciplinary team of scientists studying the furry fandom from a variety of different perspectives," according to their website—and Furscience, the IARP's public information hub with a mission to increase understanding and decrease stigma of the furry fandom. He explains that while ethics standards limit the research IARP can do on furries under 18, they can extrapolate from findings about adult LGBTQ furries. "Data suggests that only 30 percent of furries identify as exclusively or predominantly heterosexual," Dr. Plante said, "numbers that clearly differ from the general population, where nearly 90 percent identify as exclusively or predominantly heterosexual."

The furry community, he noted, provides an especially safe space for young people struggling to find validation and acceptance elsewhere in their lives. "When a person isn't forced to conceal their identity or live in fear of ostracism, they can begin to grow and flourish as a person," he said.

From Vice.

I'm sure the Nazi Furry trope is rooted in something real, but it doesn't seem to capture the spirit of the furry community at all. Everything I've seen, everything I've read, paints a picture of an inclusive community with a disproportionately strong LGBT+ dimension - something that doesn't jibe at all with the right, much less the far-right.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
He didn't say anything that was factually incorrect.

He's black: The Republican party has been pretty fucking clear about its stance towards Black issues including their stance against Black Lives Matter protests, their support of white supremacists in Charlottesville and their support of Confederate statues to name a few. Not to mention the Republican base's utterly vile and racist "birther" conspiracies meant to delegitimize Barack Obama's presidency.

He's gay: The Republican party has been pretty fucking clear about its stance towards LGBTQ+ rights - the Vice President of the United State has advocated for shock therapy camps and "pray away the gay" camps. The party has also adamantly fought against gay marriage and transgender rights, with policies such as Trump's recent signing of a transgender ban in the US Military among other removal of rights.

To anyone who supports the Republican party or thinks "both sides" are equal, you are at best a piece of shit who blindly follows racist shit-stains...and at worst you are one.
original.gif

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
I expected him to win and he seems nice, but that speech was a trainwreck. If you're not good at public speaking, you should prepare something, rehearse. It was a stark contrast to every other winner.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Good for him. His speech was lovely, and his laugh is infectious.

I saw some folks going "ugh politics really?" and man... one side comment, you'll live.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Why did he come out in a fur suit though? Most of the other people were wearing business casual outfits.

Not that there's anything wrong with the furry community it just felt like his outfit didn't fit the time and place.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

He's black: The Republican party has been pretty fucking clear about its stance towards Black issues including their stance against Black Lives Matter protests, their support of white supremacists in Charlottesville and their support of Confederate statues to name a few. Not to mention the Republican base's utterly vile and racist "birther" conspiracies meant to delegitimize Barack Obama's presidency.

He's gay: The Republican party has been pretty fucking clear about its stance towards LGBTQ+ rights - the Vice President of the United States has advocated for shock therapy camps and "pray away the gay" camps. The party has also adamantly fought against gay marriage and transgender rights, with policies such as Trump's recent signing of a transgender ban in the US Military among other removal of rights.

To anyone who supports the Republican party or thinks "both sides" are equal, you are at best a piece of shit who blindly follows racist shit-stains...and at worst you are one.
Gonna quote this again for the new page.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Awesome :)

Of course, the same people shrieking that he's ~political~ tend to say things like ~the holocaust had good aspects too~, their "neutrality" was always performative lying.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Awesome :)

Of course, the same people shrieking that he's ~political~ tend to say things like ~the holocaust had good aspects too~, their "neutrality" was always performative lying.
yeah one of the dudes in here shrieking about how "cringe" he was also unironically thinks the NPC meme is funny

these people ain't exactly paragons of self-awareness

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
The only furry people I've met were very interested in sex with animals. Is that... common among them? If yes, it would make me wonder about the support of furries here, lol.
Because sex with animals is as uncool as pedophilia(?).

This is a really gross post. This forum seems to have a thread regarding furries every couple months and this shit gets explained in every single one of them ceaselessly. The answer is no. People into that shit tend to get outed and ostracized. Also, the fact that this forum has a fair amount of furries that tend to get along with everyone else perfectly fine, regardless of being shit on constantly via hot takes such as your own, might have something to do with the support.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Pretty shitty to label all Republicans as the same.

Pretty accurate to label people that want to criminalize people like me for existing, and want to strip us from basic human rights, like this.
If this being pointed out offends you, then you should start working for Republicans to kick out the people doing that. Until then, the label is accurate - labeling all Republicans like this could not hit the point better.

No amount of boo-hooing will change this. Republicans have a choice on their policies, and they chose to be abhorrent.

one of the dudes shrieking about how "cringe" he was also unironically thinks the NPC meme is funny, so

I am not at ALL surprised, haha.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017

He's gay: The Republican party has been pretty fucking clear about its stance towards LGBTQ+ rights - the Vice President of the United States has advocated for shock therapy camps and "pray away the gay" camps. The party has also adamantly fought against gay marriage and transgender rights, with policies such as Trump's recent signing of a transgender ban in the US Military among other removal of rights.

Hes right you know ^^^

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
If you are upset or even angry about this, maybe think about where you are, a progressive gaming forum, then leave.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Christopher Judge was wearing a suit so no. And Ninja couldn't exactly dye his hair for this one evening.

When everyone else was wearing at least slacks and a button up shirt. A furry suit stands out.

Why do you care about what he chooses to wear when he accepts his award? His whole point was to show the world that one of the best gamers in his genres is a gay black furry. That's... awesome. Good for him.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Why did he come out in a fur suit though? Most of the other people were wearing business casual outfits.

Not that there's anything wrong with the furry community it just felt like his outfit didn't fit the time and place.
Would actually be even more out of place if a dude who goes to FGCs and dominates absolutely everyone in a fursuit was suddenly at the Game Awards completely outside of one

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna lie. When I seen him going up the stairs in that costume I cringed a bit, but yea that quickly died because his love for this is obvious and his speech was damn sincere. Been following fighting games for awhile and the young dude is obviously one of the GOATs. Haters gonna hate.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome. The FGC couldn't have a better ambassador to represent our best qualities. Seeing a lot of people here claiming he was being exclusionary, when it's pretty much the opposite. The most controversial remark basically boiled down to "This is my scene and bigots aren't welcome".

Whether the vast majority of Republicans are actively bigots or just tolerate a racist president makes little difference to minorities. Glad he fired those shots and drew that line.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

I mean it doesn't usually fit the place in the game industry when people tell right-wingers to suck their dick either so fitting the time and place is kinda overrated in my book.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I personally dont care for the suit but to act like business attire is good looking clothes is weird. Half of them was wearing graphic Ts and blazers. Looked dumb as hell

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Fox is a legend. But I'm more of a fan at the power play by Keighly to have Joel Mchale present an award to sonicfox who is certainly unique. The mans petty game speaks to me lol.