• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Accusing a marginalised person of victimising themselves.
Congrats to him but did he have to say those things when he received his prize? Does it matter? When an actor/actress win an Oscar, does he say that he is straight, gay, black, white, or anything? No. Because it doesn't matter if you are or not.
He is victimizing himself and being gratuitously aggressive at the same time.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Congrats to him but did he have to say those things when he received his prize? Does it matter? When an actor/actress win an Oscar, does he say that he is straight, gay, black, white, or anything? No. Because it doesn't matter if you are or not.

Yeah it kinda matters and if you think that was aggressive ... I honestly don't know what to say.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
It's his speech, he can say what he wants. And we can all respond to it however we want.

(And have you heard some of those Oscars acceptance speeches?)

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Declaring one's own identity: an act of unmitigated aggression.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
25 pages in and once again we reset the fuckin' clock

Declaring one's own identity: an act of unmitigated aggression.

ikr

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awwwwww. Did he make you uncomfortable by simply stating that he exists?

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, a lot of Oscar speeches are political on purpose. You're there with an audience of millions, it is the time to make a statement since everyone is listening to you.

Here's a few of the major ones : https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/23/14714468/oscars-2017-academy-awards-political-speeches-history

Oct 25, 2017

Discrimination is a thing, so yes I'm glad he said everything he said.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

Yea actors/actresses never implicitly state their sexuality by thanking their SOs. Ninja totally didn't engage in a PDA with his wife. Wait that's not true. Reality is those of us who are straight are lucky we can speak freely of who we love. Those who aren't can't state who they love without being ridiculed. SonicFox used his platform to tell those who are like him that's it okay to be you.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017

"I am who I am" - the most gratuitously aggressive statement one can make apparently.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
I'll stop victimizing my gay ass when the straights will stop murdering us for existing.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
How dare someone celebrate themselves when winning an award. /s

And yes, that shit very much does matter. It matters that minorities are allowed to be visible. It matters that their inherent identity leads to them being ostracized. And it sure as fuck matters that they get to tell their detractors to go fuck themselves.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

"I'm not homophobic but why can't gay people just keep it to themselves?"

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was good that a black LGBTQ person won such an award, and that line in particular was pretty funny, it's just a shame he came off so utterly weird and almost fake. Like some weirdo cartoon like caricature, what with that weird hyena like laugh, dressing as a giant animal, the hyper strange personality etc. I was struggling to tell if he was in character, playing an online persona (eg like Francis), or if he was just being himself. To this day I still find the whole Furry stuff strange as fuck, but it is what it is I guess.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018

Actors and actresses have literally been calling out those exact things in award ceremonies for years.

Frances McDormand called for inclusion and championed women when she won for Three Billboards just last year.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posts like yours are why he has to do it. You shouldn't feel attacked over his identity, when it doesn't infringe on anyonr else. Gamerz are a toxic breed. It's a known quantity that misogyny and racism permeates the hobby. When people that sympathize with Nazis, or keep themselves away from women in weird, Mike Pence esque fashion win Game Awards, it's absolutely relevant.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

It most certainly matters in America. We didn't get gay marriage legalized till a few years ago and you're gonna act like being gay, let alone a gay black man, doesn't matter? Tell that to any black man who gets pulled over by the cops.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
My boy SonicFox is living his best life and being proud of who he is. Right wingers and people hating on him are just proud of what they buy.
lol. All competitive games are irrelevant outside the genre and the fandom they exist in. I didn't give a shit about LOL or OW, but I'm not insulting those people for winning.
He's not insulting him and he immediately took back what he said and apologized, god damn my posts must be invisible in this thread

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
It most certainly matters in America. We didn't get gay marriage legalized till a few years ago and you're gonna act like being gay, let alone a gay black man, doesn't matter? Tell that to any black man who gets pulled over by the cops.
Also last I checked, despite the Supreme Court effectively repealing all sodomy laws in 2003, there are still 17 states that refuse to take those laws off the books. Yes it's the states you think it is.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
It was good that a black LGBTQ person won such an award, and that line in particular was pretty funny, it's just a shame he came off so utterly weird and almost fake. Like some weirdo cartoon like caricature, what with that weird hyena like laugh, dressing as a giant animal, the hyper strange personality etc. To this day I still find the whole Furry stuff strange as fuck, but it is what it is I guess.
It's called being genuine and not fake ass persona like ninja.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Just spent all day slowly catching up with this thread. Was gonna say it's been a wild ride but here we are back on square one lmao

Turns out I know a couple folks who know Sonic, so I told 'em to send him my best regards. Some local redneck kids I know found his comments funny too. Made me happy.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Cmon man. Are you serious right now?

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
It was good that a black LGBTQ person won such an award, and that line in particular was pretty funny, it's just a shame he came off so utterly weird and almost fake. Like some weirdo cartoon like caricature, what with that weird hyena like laugh, dressing as a giant animal, the hyper strange personality etc. I was struggling to tell if he was in character or playing online persona (eg like Francis), or if he was just being himself. To this day I still find the whole Furry stuff strange as fuck, but it is what it is I guess.
Thats because we know that there is a huge furry fetish community with people fucking in the costumes. Others could interpret the costume as a mascot.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Thats because we know that there is a huge furry fetish community with people fucking in the costumes. Others could interpret the costume as a mascot. But because we know of the fetish, we have this strange feeling when we see the fursuits.

I'm gonna ruin most every animated film featuring talking animals. Every single one of them had furry artists working on them.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we generalizing republicans?

Iya1BxB.png

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
A dude giggling himself silly because he won an award and is nervous is not what I'd call gratuitously aggressive. Can you tell us some other things you consider "gratuitously aggressive"? Someone coughing? A dog farting while sleeping? A baby yawning?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thats because we know that there is a huge furry fetish community with people fucking in the costumes. Others could interpret the costume as a mascot. But because we know of the fetish, we have this strange feeling when we see the fursuits.

I honestly just assumed it was some temporary Internet meme joke thing akin to Bowsette. I didn't realise there were loads of people out there who took things that far that they fetishised these things or actually dressed as or had sex in....furry fox costumes lol. Genuinely I just don't even fucking know what the fuck is anything any more lol.

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
So glad SonicFox won this. The FGC is lucky as fuck that a person of that level of integrity and character is becoming one of the biggest faces of the community. In addition to being like, really fucking great a fighting games.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Being straight and white isn't notable when it's the social default, lol. The whole point of minorities speaking up and drawing attention to their differences is visibility. It's saying hey, I have just as much of a right as anyone else to be myself. It's a direct response to bigots who try to stigmatize them with shame and silence them so their rights are easier to trample. There would be no need for this in an equal and accepting society.

Ever wonder why there aren't straight pride parades? Because however hard life might be for the average person, someone who doesn't fit society's view of normal has to put up with a heap of extra difficulties in their social and personal lives, sometimes from bullies, often from regular people who don't even realize they're being jerks.