• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
"Protections in the new North American trade pact for LGBTQ people are roiling conservative lawmakers in the House, who are urging President Donald Trump to rescind them.

They are displeased that the new United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement contains requirements that workers be protected from discrimination on the basis of sex, including sexual orientation and gender identity."

"One congressman who led the effort on the letter said the issue could be a "deal-killer" for him supporting the pact.

"This is language that is going to cause a lot of people to reconsider their support of the trade agreement, and to the point that it may endanger the passage of the trade agreement unless something is done," Rep. Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.) told POLITICO in an interview."

"It's unclear whether the LGBT clauses even have real teeth. Both Canada and the U.S. agree it wouldn't require a new law.

But it's unprecedented language in a U.S. trade agreement.

USMCA's Chapter 23 on labor requires countries to implement policies that protect workers against employment discrimination on the basis of sex, sexual orientation and gender identity. Another provision in the same chapter requires countries to promote workplace equality with respect to gender identity and sexual orientation.

The conservatives say this would undo other administration policies.

The letter argues that USMCA contradicts other administration work on sexual orientation and gender identity, and would also make it impossible to end a pair of executive actions from the Obama administration forbidding workplace discrimination.

It accuses the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative of working against administration policies."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/16/house-conservatives-lgbt-protection-trade-pact-977288

Do any of you people defending Republicans actually LISTEN to Republicans? Ever? They openly admit that enshrining discrimination against LGBT people into law is one of their administrations policies! That isn't a difference of opinion, that is them actively and dedicatedly working to make my life worse!

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying 'both sides' in the way you're thinking. Compared to the UK, the democrats are probably centre-right, and the republicans are far right. The democrats are obviously a better, and currently probably the only sensible, choice. But they are still too corrupt and afraid of change for my tastes. The fact that you can't have an openly atheist leader of either party still is rather scary to me.

I still highly dislike that particular comparison because it heavily discourages the youth who CAN actually push the Democratic party to the left from voting and participating in advocacy.

South Park wasn't pushing for Democrats to move to the left, they were pushing the all-encompassing defeatism that allows the Republocans to hold on to relevancy.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually at this point you all are lecturing me, I do my part by who n what I vote for and condemning any bigots.

And I get that some of the posters here are coding with the "not all blah blah routine" so I played with some fire. But I still think the universal condemning route of half the countries voting population is all that healthy either.

I know this is rather pedantic, but it's important nonetheless. Republicans don't make up half of the voting population. It's more like 25%. Also, even if it was 100%, supporting the policies that they do, having a vice president with a bad history concerning gay rights all contributes to this. I see nothing wrong with what SonicFox said. It's absolutely true. Sure you can nitpick the furry part because most people seem to be bewildered by furries more than anything.

I have friends that are Republicans, they know how I feel about their voting choices and I've straight out told them I do not respect them for said choices. Our friendship will never be deep because the 2nd amendment is more important to them than Sandy Hook.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there are legit criticisms you can label exclusively to the Republican party, but Obama was also ok putting migrant children in cages. So the real people who should look in the mirror are the political representatives on both sides who let that slide for all this time (or still support it), while plenty of average Americans across both sides of the political spectrum have been against this.
Who gives a fuck about Obama? All american presidents are terrorists as far as I'm concerned. Next argument please.

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone defending Republicans lacks the empathy to understand other people's situations, imagine how you would feel if you could be fired from your job for indicating anywhere on your social media that you play video games or that your mannerisms raised suspicions from your co-workers that you may play video games.

Because that is exactly what Republicans are pushing for towards LGBT people!

And this is just ONE of the issues that they have spectacularly fucked up views on! You can understand why I don't want to haggle over whether or not I categorically deserve the right to *have a job* in a country where that is the only way to secure a place to live and medical care. You can understand how this policy is a direct attack on me by people who openly admit to thinking that I'm destroying the country by existing.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I guess a sports analogy is appropriate in today's climate. ITT:

sonicfox: fuck yankees fans

Concerned yankees fan : hey now, I'm a Yankees fan. I mean I don't like the team, any of the players or the coach, or most of what they stand for. I always root for the other team. I used to have an old Yankees shirt I bought when I was 15 that I would wear to the gym sometimes though, so please stop lumping us all together.

(Also maybe) I 'm not even from the US and don't even really follow much of this "baseball" stuff.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I guess a sports analogy is appropriate in today's climate. ITT:

sonicfox: fuck yankees fans

Concerned yankees fan : hey now, I'm a Yankees fan. I mean I don't like the team, any of the players or the coach, or most of what they stand for. I used to have an old Yankees shirt I bought when I was 15 that I would wear to the gym sometimes though, so please stop lumping us all together.

(Also maybe) I 'm not even from the US and don't even really follow much of this "baseball" stuff.
The Yankees dont have a political agenda that is dead-set on subjugating people like SonicFox and countless other innocent people. This isn't a sport, it's their lives.

Oct 25, 2017
And Republicans clearly understand that what they are doing has great consequences for LGBT people. I know this because they are *desperate* to avoid the same happening to them. They raised hell over someone losing their job because they circulated a pseudoscientific memo trying to rationalize why women were allegedly less suited for engineering roles through the lens of the one fifty-year-old psychological theory they remembered from their undergrad psychology elective - something that is exactly one step above invoking Freudian psychoanalytics or phrenology to rationalize discrimination.

And yet they're still trying to make it legal to fire LGBT people just for existing!

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The Yankees dont have a political agenda that is dead-set on subjugating people like SonicFox and countless other innocent people. This isn't a sport, it's their lives.
Obviously. I'm using an analogy to illustrate how absurd it is to argue that attacking republicans is unfair to people who used to be republicans but have voted democrat for the past decade.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't take people seriously when they don't judge the point I'm making but the show I'm referencing. It's almost an ad hominem attack.

Your actual point is poor in this context. If roughly half of the electorate supports a party based on destructive bigotry, then how does splitting the rest of the electorate help the situation? At this exact point, adding more parties will just increase the relative power of the bigots. We have seen this in action with LePage in Maine.

Marauder85

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Auckland, NZ
Your actual point is poor in this context. If roughly half of the electorate supports a party based on destructive bigotry, then how does splitting the rest of the electorate help the situation? At this exact point, adding more parties will just increase the relative power of the bigots. We have seen this in action with LePage in Maine.

Yes, and I made that caveat in my second post. It's pragmatic to vote Democrat but they're still pretty awful.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Good on him. I didn't mind that his acceptance speech was a little awkward. It was genuine, and that counts for a lot.

Why are we generalizing republicans?
Can you find a prominent Republican who doesn't actively try to undermine non-whites, who doesn't despise LGBTQ people, and who doesn't support [bullies/hate groups/religious nuts/ignorance in general]?

There's your answer.

Marauder85

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Auckland, NZ
So if you know that, then why bring up that South Park episode at all? What does that do other than discourage people from doing something that you agree should happen?

It was just to say both parties aren't up to standard. I can't remember the exact details of the episode, sorry. I just thought it was funny at the time. Apologies if it isn't an accurate enough reference.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Or you could look at who you Republican voters support, and come to a self-realization?
They already have that realization. They know who and what kind of monsters make up the Republican Party and choose to ignore it so they can maintain their privilege and the status quo. I'm far beyond the point where I believe there are republicans ignorant enough to not realize how dangerous, oppressive and sick their party is. The people still part of it, still defending it fundamentally don't care about marginalized groups but pretending to do so is useful for not being immediately written off as the unempathetic bigots they are.