• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming next-gen rolls over within a few years like everyone hopes Sony knowingly sold the most units compared to both the Switch and Xbox One worldwide for the current Eighth-Gen of consoles, the figures prove this (over 80 million+ as of 2018). Individuals at Sony are on top and it is causing the company financial success, this comes with huge benefits for what's to come because having achieved these accumalated sales from 2013 they're a scary competitor to mainly Microsoft but Nintendo too. So with this great ego of being #1 they're simply advantageous, full of experience and require little effort to top it again with the supposed sucessor "PS5" because:

A) Third Party supporters will no doubt want to cash in on this growing success (more titles, various studios from both Japan and the West = Exclusives)

B) More ability to counter any new practices and confidence to come out with brave ideas (less restrictions with games, digital market services -> PS Plus, PSN Weekly Offers)

C) Bigger consumer base and line-up of titles due to popularity of PlayStation (People will want to buy it anyway through word of mouth)

D) Tough hardware that'll likely be ahead for some time (assuming the idea of bringing updated console builds are scrapped)

But what it really boils down to is that this success is Sony's weapon. It is a powerful ego they hold now that'll allow them to win over next-gen again in sense of sales but if Microsoft and Nintendo do not adjust to the growing sales of PlayStation products and directly allow more freedom to it's userbase which Microsoft are finally accomplishing (GamePass). Switch is doing remarkably well with great exclusives however on the current trend Sony could very well just win it over again in 2020/21 if it simply expands upon what it has now and they have it easy. Any slip ups do major harm (we saw this with the used game restriction for Xbox One) Sony's simply too proud that they are on top but do you agree? given no screw ups are made. I do hope that the next thing planned for Xbox goes well as mistakes are learned but reputation and money speaks for itself. I believe Sony's ego alone will benefit them to be ahead of the market.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
In the same way Sony's PS2 assured the success of the PS3.
e: beaten like ps3 was.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If this industry has taught these companies anything, is that you don't take anything for granted.

You are forgetting the very real history of these consoles.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say it's a guarantee, but they're in a great position to continue their lead.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
Dangerous thinking here... If they want to stay ahead they need to act like they're behind

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think it's bad and they'll just become arrogant again...cause I think they sorta are right now because of the runaway success the ps4 was.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
It really means nothing. If anything, whoever is in the "lead" per say, generally try get away with more shit or just make dumb moves.

If anything, going on previous years, I'm more worried.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I assume there will be people at Sony going "look at what happened with ps2-PS3, x360-xb1, Wii-WIIU" and say maybe we should not get carried away with anything and play it safe"

Loakum

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder which name from the movie The Matris will Sony use as the codename for the PS5?

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
No OP, don't do this to yourself.

I hope Sony are more careful about going into PS5 than they've ever been about any other console before that.

And like other posters have already said, current success doesn't necessarily translate to guaranteed continued success.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I'm not saying that PS5 won't be successful, but look at the start of this generation, Microsoft was in a good place with consumers, then totally ruined it. Past success does not ensure future success. If the Sony we have now continues like they are now (i.e. being arrogant, money before gamers interest) than their future success is debatable, not saying they'll be in as bad a state as Microsoft was but lets be honest, the start of this generation humbled the Xbox brand and they have been trying to win back consumer favour ever since (Xbox Game Pass, EA Access, Universal Cross-play, Play Anywhere, Backwards Compatibility etc.).

I like Sony, but they really can't continue like this. Stop making decisions for me.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
OP right now
RT83qqe.gif

Oct 30, 2017
People saying remember PS2 to PS3 like that's going to happen again. I'm sure Sony is going to avoid another 599 situation or hard to develop for system. The fact that a disaster like PS3 bounced back shows that even a bug failure of a system they still can be competitive.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
It's really easy to say that "but look what happened" with the PS3's launch after PS2 totally dominated, and look what happened with Xbox One after the Xbox 360 gen. I get that.

However, it's up to Sony to see and remember those transitional mistakes (both their own, and Microsoft's) in retrospect, and not repeat them.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Just like

PS2 ---> PS3
Xbox 360 ----> Xbox One
Genesis/Megadrive ---> Saturn too

Honestly there are far too many factors at play. Mistakes made with PS3, Wii U and Xbox One were all a result of the platform holders making this assumption of 'assured success' simply on the back of the previous generation. But the reality is each generation resets to zero. Switch shows anything is possible. And Wii U shows just how far you can fall if you misread the market.

5Twist

Oct 27, 2017
Like PS2->PS3?
Not saying this will happen, just saying anything is possible.
Guaranteed that Sony will not move to alien technology for the PS5. However, they can potentially make certain decisions that will piss a lot of gamers off like what MS did with the XB1 reveal.

While BC may not be as large of a revenue driver as remasters/remakes, it will be important at the infancy of the PS5's lifecycle. It keeps the ecosystem coherent rather than fragmented and it grants PS5 owners an instant library as they wait for the PS5's own library to flourish.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Remember what a roll Microsoft was on with the Xbox 360? Do you remember that infamous GAF prediction thread for Gen 8 where the consensus was that Sony would place a distant third and stop making consoles?

Past success does not guarantee future performance.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that is true considering the fate of Xbox after 360.

Not saying the division is doomed or anything crazy like that, just that one can never guess the future.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
They will succeed next generation because of their ego? If anything, the ego of being #1 going into a new generation is typically a weakness rather than a strength, going off of previous generations.

A) Third Party supporters will no doubt want to cash in on this growing success (more titles, various studios from both Japan and the West = Exclusives)

Unless next gen consoles are vastly different from one another, we'll likely see a majority of third party games being multiplatform. I do not foresee publishers foregoing an entire user base without heavy incentives to do so. This applies to both Microsoft and Sony.

B) More ability to counter any new practices and confidence to come out with brave ideas (less restrictions with games, digital market services -> PS Plus, PSN Weekly Offers)

I am not seeing how being #1 in console sales will lead to any of this. Sony has a good track record for innovation which I doubt will change anymore than PS3 -> PS4, which is to say, not change much at all.

C) Bigger consumer base and line-up of titles due to popularity of PlayStation (People will want to buy it anyway through word of mouth)

See: PS3

D) Tough hardware that'll likely be ahead for some time (assuming the idea of bringing updated console builds are scrapped)

Depends on what Microsoft decides to do. We could see the PS5 and XB...next be roughly the same in terms of power.

There are a multitude of factors that determines a console's success and whether it comes out on top. VR could play a huge role in that next generation, for better or for worse. Switch's portability model could also play a big role. We may see digital only make a reappearance. Microsoft could go all out and make a console head-and-shoulders above Sony's next console in terms of raw power. It is nearly impossible to predict, and I do not believe current-generation success necessarily translates to next generation.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I still hold onto my prediction that ps5 won't be bc. This should shakes things up if it turns out to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.