• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, another thing that's not available worldwide. I can't use PSNow in example, no support for it in my country.
That's silly....It's an infrastructure limitation...not everything has to be for everyone. This mindset that every product has to be mass market and made for everyone is down right bizarre, PS now is great for those who it is aimed at. I know many who played just Ps3 exclusives on it as they never had a ps3.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What are you basing that on? I have had people playing that's you that have no interest in games at all and they recommended it to others in my family and friends circle who then came and tried it two bought ps4s for it after seeing it and the upcoming games.

Obviously this is a small sample but from where I am it seems to have done exactly what it was intended to and that's only with the first game.
I played with some friends, it just seemed like a more stiff and with less options version of Jackbox Party, I really don't see a reason for it to exist and I think Sony will give up on it like they did with their other initiatives that tried to appeal to more casual gamers.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very subjective and debatable, especially lately. MGS V alone ias as good as anything on PS3..Also people forget, ps3 ps plus started a long ways into the gen, meaning it was much easier to get pubs to put their older AAA games on there.

MGSV was a surprising edition yes, but it is definitely an exception to the norm when it comes to this gen's PS+ games.

Last gen I had PS+ because of the games, this gen the only reason is to play fighting games online and I will likely not renew it when it expires next.

IplayGames4Fun

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So, what happened to the "choice your Plus game" initiative? We got like two polls and nothing after that.
Playstation Reward is a US only thing, apparently, european users never got something similar while XBox Rewards offers a similar service worldwide.
PS2 games on PS4, we got a bunch of them, than nothing, while Sony tweeted about letting them know what games we want on PSN.
Sony is a business period. same goes for micorsoft, nintendo, valve etc. They all do what makes money. If they weren't getting enough ROI on it, they shitcan it and try something else. it's pretty standard. the "care about gamers" mantra is nothing but a joke. no company cares, they are just competing for business and trying to earn money. simple as that

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGSV was a surprising edition yes, but it is definitely an exception to the norm when it comes to this gen's PS+ games.

Last gen I had PS+ because of the games, this gen the only reason is to play fighting games online and I will likely not renew it when it expires next.
MGS, Injustice, just cause, there have been many great plus games...lately ps plus has been great. You are also comparing a service that started 4-5 years into the ps3 life , to launch day till now ps4.....

Why are indie games not good enough? Is this a "Indie games " don't count mindset? I'd rather unique indie games on plus than another flavour of the month AAA game.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I remember they did one vote to play in the US, and when Armello didn't win a bunch of folks threw a shitfit over it and I always assumed that's why they waited like 6-9 months before doing it a second (and final) time. If memory serves the second time it was Broforce that won and people bitched about it too so they probably figured it wasn't worth it.

Really there's no way to make everyone happy with an initiative like this so I kinda get why they don't do it anymore.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
PS2 on PS4 is stupid and I hated how they decided to go that route rather than allowing software emulation. Same goes for the lack of PS1 emulation. They could of even charged a fee to activate it, if they were worried about cost.

Choose your PS+ was always silly. Armello not winning was proof enough.

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember they did one vote to play in the US, and when Armello didn't win a bunch of folks threw a shitfit over it and I always assumed that's why they waited like 6-9 months before doing it a second (and final) time. If memory serves the second time it was Broforce that won and people bitched about it too so they probably figured it wasn't worth it.

Really there's no way to make everyone happy with an initiative like this so I kinda get why they don't do it anymore.

True, no way to please everyone when giving free games, someone while not like them period.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Also figured that just being on the poll as an option crippled the other 2 games sales because if it was -possibly- a PS+ offering for one month why couldn't it actually be one a few months down the road?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can I be next to be quoted by Allseeingeye? I'll have a try:

I wanna change my username, why can't I do that Sony?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MGS, Injustice, just cause, there have been many great plus games...lately ps plus has been great. You are also comparing a service that started 4-5 years into the ps3 life , to launch day till now ps4.....

Why are indie games not good enough? Is this a "Indie games " don't count mindset? I'd rather unique indie games on plus than another flavour of the month AAA game.

No, it's the 'these games don't interest me so I won't waste my time on them' mindset.

These offerings aren't free, it's a paid service. A service behind which previously free online play is now hidden.

There are a lot of people who are content with current PS+ and good for them, for me personally there are many reasons for disappointment.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I played with some friends, it just seemed like a more stiff and with less options version of Jackbox Party, I really don't see a reason for it to exist and I think Sony will give up on it like they did with their other initiatives that tried to appeal to more casual gamers.

That's fair enough. None of us has ever played Jack box so I can't comment on that.

Oct 27, 2017
Uh... its been over 8 months now and they haven't. Probably never will.

Also the poll idea was dumb.

On what planet does Nintendo have any Vc or classics on switch?

Obviously I'm not talking about the Switch how dumb do you think I am
rsz_tqharym.png

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ps now half assed? That one works fine and games still added each month

PS Now and Remote Play are undoubtedly half assed. They're laggy as hell. Remote Play in particular works way worse than either Steam In Home Streaming or Xbox App. Sony clearly had grand aspirations with PS Now, considering they purchased Gaikai for $380mil for the tech, and were originally pushing it on all Smart TVs, set top boxes, etc... Nowadays it's hardly ever even mentioned, and it's been removed from every device other than PS4 and PC. It's a mess.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Daylight is OK at first but it wears out its welcome fast. More fun if you steam it as viewers can interact

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
PS Now and Remote Play are undoubtedly half assed. They're laggy as hell. Remote Play in particular works way worse than either Steam In Home Streaming or Xbox App. Sony clearly had grand aspirations with PS Now, considering they purchased Gaikai for $380mil for the tech, and were originally pushing it on all Smart TVs, set top boxes, etc... Nowadays it's hardly ever even mentioned, and it's been removed from every device other than PS4 and PC. It's a mess.

Remote play works fine. It was rough at first, but it's been just as good as streaming from my Xbox or PC from another room. I've been playing shadow or mordor one and two for weeks using it.

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. My experience with remote play is awesome. Every game I played using remote play work flawlessly, but need to be in the same room/not too far from ps4

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remote play works fine. It was rough at first, but it's been just as good as streaming from my Xbox or PC from another room. I've been playing shadow or mordor one and two for weeks using it.

Nah. My experience with remote play is awesome. Every game I played using remote play work flawlessly, but need to be in the same room/not too far from ps4

I've tried different PCs. I've tried different PS4s. I've tried PS4 Pros. I've tried wireless. I've tried wired. I've even tried different locations... Never once has the performance approached what I get out of Steam or Xbox. Not by a longshot. Several YouTube hands-on videos will show you similar results to what I describe. Some people are much more tolerable of lag than others, so there's definitely a human element in play I think, but I've been really disappointed with PS4 Remote Play.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
PS Now works well, but i believe it should have been implemented into PS+. More so with the price increase to PS+. Heck, even offering the chance to download the games ala Game Pass would be an improvement, especially for those with internet connections that can't sustain a constant stream.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
There was a PSN rewards program with different tier levels for unlocking trophies and completing certain tasks, similar to My Nintendo.

They did a beta test of it on PS3 and canned it. I still have my exclusive avatars from it.

The Vita itself is another of their half asses initiatives, where they put so much into it and gave up pretty much Immediately.

I completely forgot there were PS2 games on PS4 until I read this thread.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried different PCs. I've tried different PS4s. I've tried PS4 Pros. I've tried wireless. I've tried wired. I've even tried different locations... Never once has the performance approached what I get out of Steam or Xbox. Not by a longshot. Several YouTube hands-on videos will show you similar results to what I describe. Some people are much more tolerable of lag than others, so there's definitely a human element in play I think, but I've been really disappointed with PS4 Remote Play.

I don't think it's an issue of being tolerable to lag rather than it working for us. Videos from YouTube are hardly representative of anything on a major scale. I'm not saying that you're lying, but you're speaking matter of factly when streaming results are something that can vary wildly from one person to another. I'm sure someone online has posted vids of their issues with the services you're praising just the same.

I don't want to be unfairly negative on this, but can you imagine why a "remote play" feature that effectively requires a wired connection in the same room might feel not all that useful to others?

I play mine across the apartment coming out of a cheap $10 switch I use to get internet into the room.

Last edited:

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

I don't want to be unfairly negative on this, but can you imagine why a "remote play" feature that effectively requires a wired connection in the same room might feel not all that useful to others?

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Huh, didn't know that. I have absolutely no idea who that is for, unless there are people out there afraid of controllers.

Jackbox is a huge success so it makes sense to make games in a similar vein. Problem is that Jackbox is all browser based, while the PlayLink games are more complex so they require a separate app download. The apps themselves are hit and miss in execution. I've heard that's a real problem for Hidden Agenda, with swipes and such not registering.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Add their wifi hardware in the PS4 to the list of things not fully committed to. (at least I'm blaming that over it just being software)

My Xbox One, every single tablet in the house, my Gaming PC upstairs, my daughters' Xbox/Wii U, our Apple Laptop, my PC Laptop, our Apple TV, and our phones can all stream Netflix/Vudu wirelessly.

My PS4 in our bedroom (which is closer to the router than half that list) "Can't Connect to Netflix", "error", "error", "error". Finally does connect....buffers...buffers....buffers..plays for 15 minutes, buffers. Vudu = Can't make it through a single FREAKING movie without some kind of lockup or streaming error.

Why not just require the system be wired Sony?

Note: Wired internet is NOT an option where I live now. My entire internet access, which works darn near perfect on every device in the house, is based off of AT&T wireless internet through my Velocity device. I get speeds between 25MB/s and 160Mb/s on the regular. Never drops out either.

Tried it with 2 PS4s now and it's basically the same result.

I ended up just hooking my darn laptop to the TV in the bedroom so we can watch Netflix at night. Got fed up with.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
The OG PS4 used cheaper wi-fi hardware that does not allow for 5GHz. ^