• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
Over the past few months, as Google was preparing for the arrival of its streaming service, Stadia, we have seen Microsoft strengthen the proposition that Xbox Game Pass represents for consumers, while Sony has made its PS Now more appealing.

At the same time, Microsoft is preparing its game streaming service, Project xCloud, which will work in tune with its Xbox consoles, showing how streaming is present in today's industry.

As Kotaku puts it, in the same article that states that Xbox Lockhart is alive and has not been canceled , Sony and Microsoft's plans were directly related to Google's entry into the video game market and the dangers that could pose.

However, the hurdles recorded at launch (such as issues with the Chromecast Ultra , bugs that force updates to download, and even bad timing in promotions ), not forgetting Google's official responses to consumer issues and service specifics themselves may have reassured both Sony and Microsoft.
Now, after the troubled launch of Google's service, Sony and Microsoft seem to feel that they have overstated the threat Stadia posed and are ready to vie for your attention and money.
Mod Edit: Edited so that the entire article isn't quoted

Last edited by a moderator:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I trust Jason but at the same time I find it really hard to believe that anyone over at Sony/Microsoft had any genuine amount of fear.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Then you think about what if that means less push for gamepass and xcloud./Psnow now.
The direct competition.
will money move around now for other things?

still need to think about it

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Yes they were scared... Now, not so much but definitely keeping an eye on them. They have money to blow.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"They should be terrified of you..."

tumblr_pa9s09vlsh1s6elnxo1_500.gifv

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I'm sure any company as big as (and with the resources of) Google entering your market is going to be threatening. They was some concern about Amazon as well.

Nintendo probably should have been terrified of Sony.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Even with Google's history of canceling products, Sony/Microsoft would be utterly foolish to disregard a Google-backed games platform. The actual launch of stadia turned out to be laughable, but to not give Google any respect would be insane, and you saw that with the service upgrades to now and game pass.

And even today, if you think Google can't throw enough time and money at stadia to make it successful you're insane. Will they do that? who knows, but they could.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
being 'scared' is obviously clickbait, but they were definately wary of googles oodles of money to blow, and they probably still are

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
The fact that they launched without a Stadia Studios developed game shows how rushed it was. Once that game is ready in 2 or 3 years I'm not sure it will have a viable platform to launch on.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I trust Jason but at the same time I find it really hard to believe that anyone over at Sony/Microsoft had any genuine amount of fear.

We've seen similar kinds of tech disruption in other industries. This one is being backed by one of the tech giants. Its quite rational to think they would have been wary, especially if the Stadia launch actually did go well.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Google certainly has the resources to make a service like this viable, and streaming will, at some point, be a very viable avenue to play games. It's reasonable to fear them. Getting in on the ground floor and sucking up that userbase would make it harder for MS/Sony to penetrate that market.

Unfortunately, Google bungled the launch and arguably, the business model they chose is simply not appealing to a lot of people.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I mean in relation to Sony's entrance into the market.

This was understandable from my pov. That said out of the 3 console makers Nintendo should have been the most worried about Google's entry because their platform was a direct challenge to their play anywhere approach. Google could never match Nintendo's first party output but the fact is that half of Nintendo's revenue still comes from 3rd party royalties.

If Google offered a very stable 1440p 30 fps experience on both your phone and TV (regardless of the fact they might not support the resolution) and since Google allowed 3rd parties to charge separately from the platform those who were attracted to the Switch due to the portable console factor and indies always looking for a new platform where they could shine above the rest were the most at risk of adopting Google's vision.

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who owns and enjoys Stadia, I will say that it's quickly become clear that Google has absolutely no idea what gamers want or how to deal with them.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Yeah, I think Jason got the timeline a bit wrong here.
They were probably scared of the entry of a Google console. Physical, living room based hardware with killer specs - subsidized by Google - and global distribution.

They probably lost that fear as soon as it became clear Google was chasing an all-streaming solution. Well before launch.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I doubt that streaming within gaming will take off like a lot of people think that it will, especially in the US.

Shit like data caps will ensure of that.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
This was understandable from my pov. That said out of the 3 console makers Nintendo should have been the most worried about Google's entry because their platform was a direct challenge to their play anywhere approach. Google could never match Nintendo's first party output but the fact is that half of Nintendo's revenue still comes from 3rd party royalties.

If Google offered a very stable 1440p 30 fps experience on both your phone and TV (regardless of the fact they might not support the resolution) and since Google allowed 3rd parties to charge separately from the platform those who were attracted to the Switch due to the portable console factor and indies always looking for a new platform where they could shine above the rest were the most at risk of adopting Google's vision.
You would need unlimited data for mobile phones. 720p, 4.5gb/hour. Yeah.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I mean it really depends on *when* they were terrified. I imagine their research folks had their hands on Google's project stream of AC:O, which was VERY impressive. And Google made some big promises at E3.

But in the last few months? Nah, it's become obvious that Google was going to botch this launch royally.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no reason for them to be worried now, tbh. They are both way better positioned for streaming and the traditional console business than Google.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You know about 3 days after the stadia launch I forgot about it. I don't know what that says but it really doesn't have a top of mind mentality for me.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017

If Google had a strong lineup, all future Nintendo consoles will just be a Nintendo exclusive machine.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
They were right to be scared. Google is nothing to sneeze at and has Microsoft levels of money to throw at something they want to work.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I mean it really depends on *when* they were terrified. I imagine their research folks had their hands on Google's project stream of AC:O, which was VERY impressive. And Google made some big promises at E3.

But in the last few months? Nah, it's become obvious that Google was going to botch this launch royally.
Yep, the Stadia streaming tech is impressive but everything else surrounding Stadia's launch has been a monumental disaster. For the public active player numbers we know, Stadia has been far from a sales success.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
I get the sense that internally Stadia was pitched as a low-risk thing because they already had the cloud infrastructure, and that everything else would just fall into place with little effort. It seemed like a strong product until it was launched and the actual extents of the product became publically visible.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It surely didn't last up until the launch, it's been clear for months Google didn't really know what they were doing.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt that Sony and MS aren't worried about Stadia, they just feel they can talk about their products without having to explain why they're better now.

Once Stadia base launches I have a feeling the tide will turn. The launch has not been perfect, but it's a great product that works really well. I've already decided that if Cyberpunk comes out on the same day as the console launch I'm going to cancel my PS4 pre-order and get it on Stadia.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft? Terrified? lol
Terrified is obviously an exaggeration but why wouldn't the company that's in distant third place be worried by another huge tech company entering the market and throwing money around? Similarly, Sony were probably less concerned about the short term (2020 and PS5 launch) and more concerned about the long term.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The title of this thread is inaccurate. The article writer is just making that assumption based on the failed launch.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I wouldn'f say Stadia is DOA, just like MS Google have and endless moneypit tp bankroll this several decades. At the same time, there have been alot of issues on Stadia. Interesting concept but we'll see where it is in 2 years time.

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt that they are as of now. If anything, it should be the other way around, especially if both PS5 & Xbox 4 are going to launch at $500+.

As long you can't play COD, FIFA, NBA2K, Madden, Rockstar games, most new AAA games on Switch it never be able to replace PS or Xbox for a huge segment of the gaming population. So there is nothing to be afraid of. They serve different needs.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
As long you can't play COD, FIFA, NBA2K, Madden, Rockstar games, most new AAA games on Switch it never be able to replace PS or Xbox for a huge segment of the gaming population. So there is nothing to be afraid of. They serve different needs.

While true, I doubt that a lot of average consumers are going to shell out $500 w/tax on a PS5 or on a Xbox 4. That's like their whole paycheck. Maybe with hardcore gamers, but average consumers make up the majority of console sales by a wide margin.

All that Nintendo has to do, is just lower the price of the original Switch by $50 near November next year & people can get 2 Switches for the price of a PS5 or a Xbox 4.