• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy man, anything more than $50 - $60 is way too much. The $50 pair I got off Amazon sound fantastic, always word and stay charged for the whole day. And the looks great too. A lot of these headphones/earbuds are grossly overpriced ATM and it's typically because of the brand name your buying.

No it's not. There is a significant difference in audio quality once you move out of budget headsets and prices can run into the thousands with the best headphones and it is very noticeable in all quality levels. It's just expensive so few people have actually had the chance to see the difference between real high end, mid range, low end, and budget. A 300$ headset is usually considered in the lower end of the spectrum for audio quality.

This is the sort of price you are talking at the top end. https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-ear-headphones/ier-z1r

Beats, Apple, B&O, Bose, etc. You are paying for brand but generally are also getting better build quality and a slightly better sound quality than the budgets but with a balance that is aimed at a mass audience rather than somebody that gives a shit about proper balancing. Whereas a brand like Shure you are getting vastly superior sound quality for their price but bad build quality and don't have bass boost and the like due to the different audience.

Last edited:

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
ive had 3 pairs of wireless earbuds under $60 and they tend to always drop audio in certain train stations, one set way more frequently than the other to the point where i left a bad review on amazon and the manufacturer sent me a replacement pair which surprisingly worked way better than the original lol

all of them worked fine during workouts our general use it was just during certain parts of the commute that they would shit the bed.
Weird, I used them all day in london the other week.
Many stations and buses and no issues

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Weird, I used them all day in london the other week.
Many stations and buses and no issues
I think it may also be partially affected by the phone you're using as well. Mine start stuttering at the same place every day on the way to work, never used to happen with my old phone.

Definitely considering some of these for work. I work in an open plan office, it'd look weird wearing over ear headphones but that noise cancelling would be a godsend.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I usually use over-ear headphones but I would definitely love to own a pair of these. However, I want it mostly for working out so I think I might buy the power beats pro instead.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
My Sennheiser True Wireless in ears are weeping. Cannot wait to hear how they sound, might replace the ones I'm using right now if they sound enjoyable. The gray ones are banging.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I think they meant the NC chip is industry leading, and that's a true statement. The MX3 NC is even a little bit better than the BOSE
Yeah, Sony claims this will bring the same level of NC to in-ear buds as the WH-1000XM3 currently does. We'll see if that's true once these are out in the wild.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I can get very small <$20 wired IEMs from China that sound great, enough that I never had any desire to spend 10x the amount on something with slightly better build quality to get the same quality sound. I want those manufacturers to catch up and sell me <$40 truly wireless in-ears that sound just as good. Right now these $150+ models seem to be all about features, most of which I don't really care about. Many of them, like the AirPods, don't even sound very good. The low end is there with companies like QCY making decent products, but the sound quality isn't there yet.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can get very small <$20 wired IEMs from China that sound great, enough that I never had any desire to spend 10x the amount on something with slightly better build quality to get the same quality sound. I want those manufacturers to catch up and sell me <$40 truly wireless in-ears that sound just as good. Right now these $150+ models seem to be all about features, most of which I don't really care about. Many of them, like the AirPods, don't even sound very good. The low end is there with companies like QCY making decent products, but the sound quality isn't there yet.

Airpods sound and work great. Why are you comparing them to $20 wired ones?

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
The Airpods sound and work great. Why are you comparing them to $20 wired ones?

They have a great, solid connection and good features but they don't sound very good.

I'm saying I'm excited for these companies that can make really great sounding wired earbuds for that price to get into the truly wireless arena.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Interested in this for sure. I still need to try the b&o e8 2.0 as well.

2.0? Is there a new model out or coming out? I loved the E8's but they're bad for the gym for a really weird reason. Because they have the capacitive buttons instead of physical buttons, they kept getting pressed on their own, from my sweat or something lol. But the E8's are easily the best sounding and most comfortable I've ever tried.

Edit: I see them on Amazon, definitely an updated version but I'm sure it'll have the same issues for me. Damn they look nice though.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I have the 1000XM3 and I don't feel like I overpaid at all - the audio quality is very good, the app lets you set the equalizer as you want and above all, the ANC is pure magic. Being able to truly ignore everything and simply sleep in an economy 8 hour flight has no price at all.
If the reviews for these are as good as the XM3 then I'll definitively have them in mind for my commute - I don't like taking the XM3 out of my house unless I'm going on trips.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
They have a great, solid connection and good features but they don't sound very good.

I'm saying I'm excited for these companies that can make really great sounding wired earbuds for that price to get into the truly wireless arena.
At first I didn't think they sounded good, but after a week of using just them, I can't go back to other ones. The soundstage is big, the bass response is good with silicone ear tips, and they've never once dropped connection to my iOS devices. I think they're overpriced, but they're good.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I grabbed a pair of bose sport free, or something about a year ago. But they drop out at busy intersections with lights. Does anyone knows why this happens? And do newer bt models like these suffer from the same sorts of issues?

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the new Bose edges out the MX3s in NC.
I am curious about these, as a person with huge ears, my WH-900Ns aren't quite deep enough and get a bit uncomfortable after a while. I'm curious whether Bose are any better or if I should just get some in ears like these Sony earbuds.

It's a bit of a gamble since the earbuds would be useful for other purposes but if the Bose fit nicely, they might be a worthwhile upgrade for me.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Aren't these the ones you've been talking about?

They do not have ANC. "Fitting in your ears well and plugging them up to block out some sound" is not the same as noise-canceling tech that headphones like the Bose QC35 and WH-1000MX3 use. That's what people are referring to.

And what kind of "tech" are you referring to? Lol, they cancel out noise when I stick them in my ears, that's all noise cancelling is, don't let a high price tag fool you into believing there is some superior tech making these better at noise canceling. That's what I'm trying to say. Hundreds of dollars more does not equate to the small difference in sound quality, and even if the quality was magically drastically better, the noise cancelling part is still just noise cancelling, which mine do very well.

No it's not. There is a significant difference in audio quality once you move out of budget headsets and prices can run into the thousands with the best headphones and it is very noticeable in all quality levels. It's just expensive so few people have actually had the chance to see the difference between real high end, mid range, low end, and budget. A 300$ headset is usually considered in the lower end of the spectrum for audio quality.

This is the sort of price you are talking at the top end. https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-ear-headphones/ier-z1r

Beats, Apple, B&O, Bose, etc. You are paying for brand but generally are also getting better build quality and a slightly better sound quality than the budgets but with a balance that is aimed at a mass audience rather than somebody that gives a shit about proper balancing. Whereas a brand like Shure you are getting vastly superior sound quality for their price but bad build quality and don't have bass boost and the like due to the different audience.

The boost in sound quality simply isn't worth the asking price and I believe a lot of people are being fooled, and, quite honestly have no idea what high quality actually sounds like and no idea what to listen for. I had to buy a pair of $300 Audio Tech's for school and while they sounded great, it wasnot a bug enough difference between those and the in-ears I have now to justify the price. Not even close. Also, I have said before I've been a musician my whole, taken audio production classes and worked multi million dollar studios with top of the line equipment, I know what high end audio is and should sound like. If you want to talk about speaker and acoustic space then hell yes money is a great indicator of quality. But with headphones/earbuds you're not getting enough difference between some of these cheaper brands and brands like these Sony's OP is referring to, to justify spending hundreds more. And thousand+ for headphones is absurd, outright I honestly believe you are being hornswaggled. We'll just have to disagree on this one.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
And what kind of "tech" are you referring to? Lol, they cancel out noise when I stick them in my ears, that's all noise cancelling is, don't let a high price tag fool you into believing there is some superior tech making these better at noise canceling. That's what I'm trying to say. Hundreds of dollars more does not equate to the small difference in sound quality, and even if the quality was magically drastically better, the noise cancelling part is still just noise cancelling, which mine do very well.
I'm starting to think you might be slightly exaggerating your professional background if you don't know the difference between active and passive noise cancellation.

I turned on wind cancellation on my headphones for the first time the other day and it felt like I'd turned off reality for a moment.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017

i need to have a popcorn gif more readily available

Snornex

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

The boost in sound quality simply isn't worth the asking price and I believe a lot of people are being fooled, and, quite honestly have no idea what high quality actually sounds like and no idea what to listen for. I had to buy a pair of $300 Audio Tech's for school and while they sounded great, it wasnot a bug enough difference between those and the in-ears I have now to justify the price. Not even close. Also, I have said before I've been a musician my whole, taken audio production classes and worked multi million dollar studios with top of the line equipment, I know what high end audio is and should sound like. If you want to talk about speaker and acoustic space then hell yes money is a great indicator of quality. But with headphones/earbuds you're not getting enough difference between some of these cheaper brands and brands like these Sony's OP is referring to, to justify spending hundreds more. And thousand+ for headphones is absurd, outright I honestly believe you are being hornswaggled. We'll just have to disagree on this one.
... So you're some kind of audio expert that doesn't know the difference between active and passive noise cancellation. Okay then.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
"Industry leading" at making everyone but the rich feel poor and shutting out a lot of people from having anything that might look fun. Congrats Sony and Apple, true kings of industry leading

What's this post even supposed to mean? You're salty that they didn't make a product that was cheap enough for you so they can go fuck themselves? Boo-hoo. Should Lamborghini start making 65$ bicycles so everyone can afford one?

Lol, you have zero authority to speak on the subject when you don't even know whar ANC is. Stop invoking your background in audio because you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Enjoy your cheap chinese buds.

Last edited:

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
This is such a weird thread. Sony's ANC 1000XM3 is one of the best active noise canceling headphones out there which bodes well for this one. Audio devices have always been expensive the higher the quality as well. I'm currently using the Amp Airs which are ok but looking for higher quality for sure. I was interested in the Sennheisers but given the reports of user experience wasn't very good, this one certainly has me interested.
... So you're some kind of audio expert that doesn't know the difference between active and passive noise cancellation. Okay then.
Lol.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
The noise cancellation of my WI-1000X is great. I would always recommend Sony's headphones in that regard.

Oct 28, 2017
Shallow insertion IEMs are definitely limited in amount of noise attenuation. Deep insertion IEMs in the form of Etymotics and CIEMs are definitely competitive with active noise cancellation, since they attenuate noise so significantly, but the Etymotic fit is definitely an acquired taste and both can get unfortunate for long plane trips due to duration and pressure.

Most Bluetooth devices sound like garbage because the chosen frequency response is generally super whack. I don't get the appeal of the 1000xm3 from a sound quality perspective, excessive low quality bass and strange upper midrange suppression around 2khz that just doesn't sound good. Noise cancellation is ace though.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That's crazy man, anything more than $50 - $60 is way too much. The $50 pair I got off Amazon sound fantastic, always word and stay charged for the whole day. And the looks great too. A lot of these headphones/earbuds are grossly overpriced ATM and it's typically because of the brand name your buying.
Nah bruh. There are levels to this shit.

Your comment is like saying "why spend more than $300 on a 60" HDTV? Picture looks great!" Well yea in a vacuum I'm sure it's fine. But when you sit it next to that 60" OLED, it doesn't look so good anymore. In fact, you may conclude that that $300 set you had been stanning for actually looks like shit now that you've seen more and better.

For you, perhaps you won't miss what you've never heard. I assure you, however, that $50 Amazon specials ain't the top of the game. And yes, better buds are usually worth the price of admission.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a weird thread. Sony's ANC 1000XM3 is one of the best active noise canceling headphones out there which bodes well for this one. Audio devices have always been expensive the higher the quality as well. I'm currently using the Amp Airs which are ok but looking for higher quality for sure. I was interested in the Sennheisers but given the reports of user experience wasn't very good, this one certainly has me interested.
It really is, but frankly, the thread title and the comparison to Airpods (which don't have active noise cancelling either) doesn't help at all.

I always loved ANC headphones when I tried them but never liked their over-the-ear form factor. Very interested in these ones.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
No thanks. Those sony in ear are super uncomfortable, also no sweat proof is a bad idea.

thanks for the add.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Combine the internet with audio/visual products and you have a minefield of dogshit opinions.

Some of the things I've read in this thread have had me sighing for days upon end.

Audio quality has a relatively low price cap?
All noise cancelling technology is the same?
Not as good as my Apple Airpods?

Jesus.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Shallow insertion IEMs are definitely limited in amount of noise attenuation. Deep insertion IEMs in the form of Etymotics and CIEMs are definitely competitive with active noise cancellation, since they attenuate noise so significantly, but the Etymotic fit is definitely an acquired taste and both can get unfortunate for long plane trips due to duration and pressure.
Etymotic is so fucking good that I would swear by it any day. But the downside to Eymotic's isolation is that it's just too good. I could barely hear passing buses. Heck, I couldn't even hear the sound of my flight taking off!

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Lack of sweat and water resistance is a huge killer. These would've great to run in.
Yeah, that seems like a bit of a deal breaker. Maybe on the successor.

Yooooo, what? Merely blocking out external noise is called passive noise cancelling. If that's all you think there is to noise cancelling, boy do you need to get up to speed.

Apparently the new Bose edges out the XM3s in NC.
I found out about the new Bose yesterday. Eager to see reviews, comparison and tests of its noise cancelling compared to the Sonys.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't know maybe the fucking microphones that sample the external noise and cancel it? Do you actually know shit about audio because if you've actually got all that experience and think your cheap crappy earphones are the best there is then lol.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Being made redundant at the end of September, I'll get a small payoff. If I manage to grab a new job fairly soon after I think I'll celebrate by putting some of my extra cash towards buying these (and tbh maybe the XM3s too for at home listening. Otherwise .. yeah maybe not for a while :(

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

LOL here you go.

Educate yourself.

moist

Oct 30, 2017

Can't say I generally see the company behind the SM57 and 58 accused of bad build quality but here we are. On the headphone front I can also anecdotally vouch for my SE425's being little tanks going on ~6 years now.