Status
Not open for further replies.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
So it seems like Sony's really pushing this censoring, and going as far as to start censoring games that are local to Japan as well.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1056244025257328641

Here's some comments from the website that's linked in the tweet.

これでもし新作ニーア作ったとしてもゲンシュタルトみたいにオッさんが主人公じゃないとPSには出せないな
"I guess this means the next Nier will have to have an old man protagonist like in Gestalt or they won't be able to release it on PS"
ソニーはもう日本の会社じゃないただのアメリカの犬な
"Sony's not a Japanese company anymore just America's dog."
外人糞ハードになった糞ステは終わり
"It became a shitty foreign system and now it's over for it."
マジかよソニー最低だな任天堂に逃げろよ
"Seriously? Sony, you are the worst. Run towards Nintendo!"
ペアレンタルコントロール機能つけて大人向けは無規制にしろよ
"Just put parental controls on and don't restrict games intended for adults."
スイッチの時代キターーーー
"The era of the Switch has arrived!"
ソニーは銭ゲバ企業だからなメーカーとしてのプライドなんてないんだろ
"Sony is a cheap ass violent games enterprise now. They have no pride as a brand?"
おーい ゴキブリは硬派だから女キャラは全員ブサイクでもいいってさー性欲関係ないってw
"Hey! Roaches are tough. So,they are cool to have all of their female characters be so plain and ugly. Not like it has anything to do with any urges they have. lulz"
サード「ソニーさん、ゲーム出したいんだけど・・・」
SONY「Speak English!!」

Seems like the japanese playstation community is really not liking how forceful and pushy Sony is being.

Maybe we will see more developers flock to Nintendo, and XBox.

Censor me in japan if old.

edit: It also seems like the inspections are being done out of country so they are getting people in the west to censor the games in Japan.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
"I guess this means the next Nier will have to have an old man protagonist like in Gestalt or they won't be able to release it on PS"

I was always under the impression Gestalt was the canon one and Replicant was a concession to Japanese market.

Also some of the comments genuinely seem worrying, because if I have to make my assumptions about what they figure Sony is "censoring", then I want off this planet.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Good, Sony. Keep trash hentai games out of PlayStation, keep things like Nier or Persona.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Just put parental controls on and don't restrict games intended for adults."

At least make sure the characters you're sexualizing are adults then.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
What games are being censored so far? the only example seems to be pedophile garbage, anything else?

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on Sony, others should follow. This unhealthy obsession with lite-pedophilla should not be supported.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
Great news. Hopefully the don't allow the seemingly creepy underage girl sexualization. Why is anyone for this?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I was always under the impression Gestalt was the canon one and Replicant was a concession to Japanese market.

Also some of the comments genuinely seem worrying, because if I have to make my assumptions about what they figure Sony is "censoring", then I want off this planet.

According to Nier Automata both are canon.

When you unlock the full weapon stories, it mentions both versions of Nier.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The all English part of the process sucks, but honestly most of the anger is going to be coming from people who are steamed because they can't get games where you sexually assault or otherwise sexualize underage girls.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
This isn't affecting only those creepy underage games you know?

As I find jiggling totally unnecessary, seems weird that they decided to remove that... And I really doubt it was the publisher since the Switch version has it....

ShortNasty

Dec 15, 2017
Is there a concrete source on this? or just more mewling? I don't read Japanese, but this seems like a twitter thread based on a blog without any sort of ... anything to go off of. May as well just post a link to a a few Era posts complaining about censorship.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Wow, that's pretty big news if it's a global change of policies, and not just in the west like it was thought earlier following the whole SK controversy.

edit:

As I find jiggling totally unnecessary, seems weird that they decided to remove that... And I really doubt it was the publisher since the Switch version has it....

this has been confirmed to be a bug, at least in the PC version, which is the same as the PS4 one.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

Steam and Xbox doesn't have either tho so...

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
How is it censorship? If Sony no longer wants their platform associated with scantily clad under age girls and gross objectification of females, then I don't see the problem. Sony isn't telling them that they have to change their games as I understand it, just that they'll have to if they want to release on PSN. If jiggle physics and characters designed to appeal to the male gaze are that important to the "artistic integrity" of those devs, then they can just release on PC. I applaud Sony for trying to clean up their market place. Also, what's with the shade being thrown at Switch here?

Honestly this whole OP reaks of alarmist gater nonsense, just like every other complaint that always arises when gamers are threatened with the loss of their anime titties. Embarrassing.

OP
OP
no1

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
This is awful wtf.. as if this policy wasn't dumb to begin with. Why would Sony go after something that already got a normal rating
Probably trying to go after the "family" friendly Nintendo platform.

But this is bad in the sense not of lite-pedo games, but Japanese devs are going to be scared to do anything the same in the West now, and we will see more Japanese games being ported to the West being heavily censored.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Wow, that's pretty big news if it's a global change of policies, and not just in the west like it was thought earlier following the whole SK controversy.

edit:

this has been confirmed to be a bug, at least in the PC version, which is the same as the PS4 one.
Oh, nice, didn't knew that

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Is there a concrete source on this? or just more mewling? I don't read Japanese, but this seems like a twitter thread based on a blog without any sort of ... anything to go off of. May as well just post a link to a a few Era posts complaining about censorship.

It's referencing a video where developers of a VN talk about why they haven't set a release date for their PS4/Vita version yet.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's a bug. For some reason the physics get broken when playing at higher framerate, which the XBO and PS4 version are 60fps while the Switch is 30fps.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Good. If Sony can lead the way in destroying the stranglehold that the more deviant parts of the otaku fandom have on Japanese game design, I'm all for this.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly having a single world-wide content check probably minimizes some of the red tape but is catching some of these riskier games. Will be interesting to see if Nintendo completely embraces the content in response.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like the worst argument you can make.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I do agree it's dumb for Sony to use English though.

It is weird; I mean Death Mark is releasing here, and there is pretty bad fan service in it. That game isn't censored.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Good, this is the kind of censorship (using OP's own words because I'd rather call this common sense, rather than censorship) I can completely get behind, even better if Sony is pushing for it globally? Japan is mad about it? So what? Japan has a long history of being very creepy about the sexualization of girls, underage or not, so this is a step in the right direction. Keep pushing for it.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As expected, of course people will react like that. Also, it's amazing how the comments are so similar to what we have on the west. lol

What? Japan allow those games to be published?

Where do you think those games launched? Those type of games are normally sold in Asia in general and in Japan.

Good, Sony. Keep trash hentai games out of PlayStation, keep things like Nier or Persona.

No hentai is allowed in any console, this is the same for Japan.

And those two franchises have quite a content on sexualization and many other things so huh, sure.

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Well, if this allows for the continued growth of Japanese games on PC (and potentially Switch), then good... I can only applaud this decision then.

That's exactly what it is?
I was about to say, that's exactly what they're doing if they're telling devs to change the game for any reason. "But they can release it uncensored on PC" isn't a great compromise when a lot of these games have a bigger potential audience on the PS4 to begin with, so it's more work for arbitrary reasons.

Really weird to see Sony make moves in this direction again, after all the issues they had on PS2 with censorship in games like Killer7 and (yes, I know the game is completely terrible otherwise) BMX XXX for sexual content, especially so late in this generation.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
A big shame, the rating board should be enough for games, and they shouldn't step in and hinder creator's freedom in devoloping games.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Seems kinda pointless to have ratings boards if Sony isn't going to follow their decisions for games that have already been rated.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree with the principle of what Sony is doing but the logistics of this are terrible and they're kind of screwing over a lot of developers/publishers who are reliant on Sony platforms.

Guess they have something against Vagina bones. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.