• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It depends on if my personal FBI agent is the one leaking my data. He's a cool guy, I trust him.

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont see the issue. Its a specific case for one person and they had a warrant for it.

Seems justified in my eyes.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Actually reading through the case, I don't think my initial objection necessarily stands, so never mind.

OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
One of the things I find interesting is that the messages on the PS4 in question were deleted, but they were still saved on servers at a Sony facility. I'm assuming every big company does this, but that's kinda scary too.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
One of the things I find interesting is that the messages on the PS4 in question were deleted, but they were still saved on servers at a Sony facility. I'm assuming every big company does this, but that's kinda scary too.
They probably run backups in case of a catastrophic failure. I'm not sure how long they would hold on to them though.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see an issue here. Sony didnt risk security of their platform and it was only for one person.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It was with a warrant so it's fine. As long as they don't start feeding PRISM they're fine.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Care to quote from the source? I'm not clicking on a completely unfamiliar link.

Here:
Sony has handed over information to the FBI on a PlayStation 4 user suspected of planning to travel from Kansas to the Middle East to fight on behalf of a terrorist organization, in what Forbes believes is the first public case of PS4 data being passed to the cops by the tech giant. It also appears to be the first example of Sony providing data on any of its console users after receiving a government order.

In its warrant, the FBI asked Sony for details related to the PlayStation activities of Isse Aweis Mohamud, who was suspected of planning to travel to Iraq, via Egypt, to fight for a terrorist organization. Though the FBI didn't claim he had actively pursued recruitment by ISIS, it did mention the extremist group in its warrant application.

Put it in here also, before people start posting without reading the article. The data was from a single user, and the FBI had a warrant

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Apple refused to hand over the ability to circumvent security features on an iPhone as that would potentially jeopardise security features on all their iOS devices.
Indeed, Apple will turn over information they have access to when served with a proper warrant.

Apple simply tries to minimize the amount of information they have access to (since they make money by selling products, not their users).

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I bought Gal Gun on a PSN sale.

How fucked am I?
fb0.jpg

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Seems fine and rather minor. All you people handing out Amazon Echos and Google Homes for Christmas are making the jobs of intelligence communities easy.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
This is nothing basically, typical FBI work, just involves PlayStation.

Thread title should be updated to reflect that a warrant was issued for the transfer of data.

Clickbaity as heck.

Status
Not open for further replies.