• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Sony undoubtedly dominated this generation when it comes to general public perception and sheer sales figures of the PlayStation 4. But Microsoft has made waves the past couple of years that has propelled the Xbox One to the forefront of the conversation, whether this was through programs like Xbox Game Pass or the acquisition of high-profile game studios to bolster what many consider to be a struggling first-party catalog.

I'm going to get this right out of the way: first-party games are incredibly important. PlayStation absolutely needs them to remain successful. I'm arguing that with Microsoft going all-in on first-party games — though it remains to be seen to what degree of success — Sony needs to turn at least some of its attention to other features.

Public perception surrounding the state of your first-party catalog means a whole lot, but in the grand scheme of things third-party titles by and large sell more copies across individual platforms.

Indies are vital to a console's ecosystem too. Look at what happened to Xbox One after its abysmal treatment of indie games around its initial launch. It was harder for indie studios to develop on Xbox One, so they completely bypassed it and developed for PlayStation 4 instead. Microsoft rectified this over time with the ID@Xbox initiative, but damage has been done.

And because of this, Sony can't put all of its eggs in one basket. Games and power reigned supreme, but it's becoming increasingly apparent that they can't carry consoles in the long-term. Crucial to a console's success, games and raw power still need to be complemented by other services and features, especially when we get to a point where computing power will yield diminishing returns for players — like in the case of 4K vs 8K resolution.

When you have consoles like the PlayStation 5 and Microsoft's Project Scarlett boasting the kinds of specs that they do — based on what we know so far — what's going to set them apart from other than games are their ecosystems. What features and services they offer that players cannot get elsewhere.

Even seemingly little things like digital game gifting, expanding the trophy system, tweaking party and chat options, and creating an easy way to gameshare could make all of the difference.

An area where Sony needs to improve is PlayStation Now. Whether you compare it to Microsoft's streaming service Project xCloud or the on-demand library in Xbox Game Pass, PlayStation Now sorely falls behind in terms of its incentives. It's double the monthly cost of Xbox Game Pass and only select titles can be downloaded through PS Now, with the rest being available to stream through shoddy, unreliable servers at best. Not to mention that Microsoft offers all first-party games day one for Xbox Game Pass subscribers. The same cannot be said for first-party Sony titles on PlayStation Now. It never took off in the way it could have.

In a major surprise, Sony and Microsoft revealed that the two companies have partnered on cloud gaming technologies. This is the perfect opportunity for Sony to leverage Microsoft's experience in the field. Overhauling PlayStation Now should be first on its list.

Sony should also continue its PlayStation Plus program that offers members two free games every month, or at least supplant it with something equally as enticing. I'd even go a step further and say that not only should Sony offer a couple of free PS5 games every month, it should continue to offer PS4 games as well since the PS5 will likely be backward compatible. This is something Microsoft currently does with Xbox Live Gold, offering two Xbox One and two Xbox 360 games each month for Gold members. Getting rid of the program after such a precedent was set would cause quite an uproar.

And wrapping everything up for a price that's competitive and affordable — in terms of gaming consoles — is key. PlayStation 3 suffered for being hundreds of dollars more than Xbox 360. Xbox One suffered for being $100 more than PlayStation 4. Pricing is important, even if you need to sell the console at a loss. Make up the difference elsewhere.

There's a lot to dissect in this piece from Android Central but the gist is this: the author warns about the complacency that comes with "winning" a console generation, and how "losing" the race drove Microsoft to make sweeping changes to finish the generation on a high note and carry their momentum into the next one. She argues that Microsoft's investments into their first party though high profile acquisitions has positioned the company to better compete with Sony's first party in the coming years. First party and specs are important, but less so when third party software sales still reign supreme along with indies, something that Microsoft has addressed with their programs.

The focus, then, turns to services, in which Sony has noticeably lagged behind Microsoft in, who has bolstered their offerings with Xbox Game Pass and Games with Gold and even minor ecosystem things that result in a better experience for the consumer. PlayStation Now needs some serious work, and PlayStation Plus can be better, in light of that.

In closing, the author brings up price, which I'm not sure is worth spending too much time on. The PS3 was priced out of range for a lot of people yes, but they got it right with the PS4 imo, and I have little reason to doubt they would go against that with the PS5 when it worked so well for them, though stranger things have happened innit?

Much more at the link: https://www.androidcentral.com/sony...s-playstation-5-stay-top-xbox-next-generation

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
38d471f9188e569bcb31ada5a88083b4.gif

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Who says they are or will ?
The PS4 was the best package this generation starting from the announcement to hardware and to games.

Some of these opinion pieces are just weird and are acting like Sony is some underdog that doesnt know how to run their console business - while outselling the Xbox like 4:1 or something right now.

Oct 25, 2017
You can always spot how US focused a lot of these articles are just by the headline. Never fails to impress really.

Last edited:

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
How about Xbox gets relevant in Europe and Asia first before they are declared the winner of next gen?

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Guys guys we know you have the best games... but games, well, they're not everything! Okay...?

Lol US publications when new consoles launch are hilarious.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I am curious how Sony positions themselves to compete with Microsoft's service initiatives -which could be extremely popular with casual audiences when selecting a console.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
At this rate, we should all get ahead of the curve and start arranging the funeral for the PS5 right now. That poor ass piece of machinery is doomed as fuck.

Theef

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The PS4 software is a huge red flag and can't expect it to come close to whatever MS has planned

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
These outlets always manage to be very concerned about Sony just before a new generation begins. Its like clockwork.

Oct 25, 2017
I think they can actually, especially when talking about diminishing returns in graphical performance. If all games look great I'll take the ones that are good please

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Lmao these articles are getting out of hand and more ridiculous.

Ofcourse Sony should not be complacent, but Sony cultivates franchises, fanbases and knows what they are doing.

DigitalScars

Dec 15, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm no fan boy to either system, have in the past owned all three. That being said i feel this statement is wrong, it's games that sell consoles. I'm not going to buy a system that has great infrastructure but has no games, which is why i didn't get an Xbox one this gen at all.

(not saying xbox one has no great games, just the ones i want i can get on PC)

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I mean Xbox took ideas from Sony this gen, PS Plus-like discounts and free games, game sharing, capture and share game play, and at some point in the near future remote play and game streaming. Sony made a ton of deals with third parties and that doesn't seem like it will change. The idea that Sony just focuses on making high quality first party games and is complacent elsewhere is without merit.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yup, you know the new gen is getting closer when we start seeing this kind of articles pop up. Although I do agree to an extent, the author seems to be putting a lot more weight on this statement than they should. Games will sell consoles, if it weren't for first party titles the Switch wouldn't be doing as great.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On the contrary, even without good games, I'd bet on the PS5 to 'best' the next Xbox.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it's that radical of an article. The Xbox 360 did well because they were progressive, consumer friendly, and hungry in the face of a PlayStation that was anything but on top of tripping over itself coming out of the gate. The PlayStation 4 killed it because they were progressive, consumer friendly, and hungry in the face of an Xbox that was anything but on top of tripping over itself throughout the generation.

If Sony succeeds next generation, and I think they can and will, they'll have to do so without the competition effectively handing them business due to being incompetent and complacent. Having said that, due to Sony's brand recognition in Europe and Asia, they have a much higher floor and higher ceiling than Microsoft - and as a result - have more room for error. They're pretty much a shoe in to win the generation as far as console sales are concerned.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think they'd learn from the mountain of ridiculous opinion pieces in the lead up to every new generation.

Nope.

I am curious how Sony positions themselves to compete with Microsoft's service initiatives -which could be extremely popular with casual audiences when selecting a console.
Sony has services it wants to grow and doesn't plan to focus only on making good games.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do think Xbox is going to be stronger out of the gates with Scarlett than they were with the Xbox One, but Sony's monentum should keep them in a good position unless they have a major screw up.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These articles man.... Sony is going to have a massive head start due to PS4 being fully backwards compatible. People being able to carry over their libraries is going to be a huge boon to keeping people in the Playstation ecosystem. Playstation also has arguably the best exclusives on consoles.