• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox had more exclusives the first year or so yet PS4 sold because they sold the console as a GameStation while Xbox was TV/Sports. PS4 didn't sell well because of exclusive it's because it's ForThePlayers (gamers)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
so - sony really needs to up their game in nascent service areas that aren't yet proven to be significant in marketshare, *and* that Sony has literally already had in market for years (PSNow, remote play streaming)?

The only missing part is first party content on PSNow - which is more a content question than a service question; and an equivalent to remote play which doesnt' leverage your own PS4 - something that MS haven't even talked about timing or cost for launching themselves and only talked about using your xbox for free? At least in PSNow markets, they should be able to launch that additional element for streaming your PS4 digital purchases from the cloud relatively easily

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
If all I looked for in a games console is the services, I'd only use a PC lmao

Games sell consoles, what dumbassery is this?

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox had more exclusives the first year or so yet PS4 sold because they sold the console as a GameStation while Xbox was TV/Sports. PS4 didn't sell well because of exclusive it's because it's ForThePlayers (gamers)

You know that an exclusive library is not only based on current generation?
People loved GOW3, Uncharted and TLOU and they knew the only way to play the successors is by buying the PS4.

Now there is a lot of people that love GOW, Spiderman, Horizon, TLOU2 etc. and they now the only way to playe the successors is by buying the PS5.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
You can't sell a subscription service without quality content. You can't provide value over your competitors without exclusive content. Tech in entertainment is a means to an end (ie. facilitate the production of quality content) and not a selling point on its own.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
People will always flock to where the good games are. Period.

Yes, yes, services are a great added value and some people will value them greatly but in the end, it's always about the games.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Sony's mix of critically acclaimed exclusives and strong 3rd party support is the reason PlayStation consoles keep succeeding every generation and PS4 is no exception.

Another clickbait article and we'll see more like it for sure.

Dan8589

Banned
May 30, 2019
I think this threads premise is completely wrong. We all know that the PS5 will outsell the next xbox, probably by double at least.

We also know that Sony are likely to keep developing big SP games and that they'll sell very well.

What we also now know is that if a gamer who owns a PS4 is tempted by xbox next gen that they'll have the cheaper choice of using xcloud alongside buying a PS5. Then theres the more hardcore gamer who plays on PC and no longer needs an xbox to play Halo etc.

Xbox games will sell better by being on steam, and MAU will increase with steam/xcloud but we dont know whether their first party offerings will improve just yet. Whether xcloud takes off well I dont know, I dont see mobile gamers wanting to play more complex games but I do see some PS gamers using it to play some xbox games.

Regardless though, Sony will dominate again in the hardware and software sales and its really a win win situation for Sony if a minority of PS5 gamers are paying a small fee to stream xbox games instead of buying more hardware and investing in the xbox ecosystem.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
But Microsoft has made waves the past couple of years that has propelled the Xbox One to the forefront of the conversation, whether this was through programs like Xbox Game Pass or the acquisition of high-profile game studios to bolster what many consider to be a struggling first-party catalog.

"Making waves" and "forefront of the conversation" are nice buzzwords but it doesn't seem to actually translate to anything substantive considering their hardware sales are down 48%.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I think this threads premise is completely wrong. We all know that the PS5 will outsell the next xbox, probably by double at least.

We also know that Sony are likely to keep developing big SP games and that they'll sell very well.

What we also now know is that if a gamer who owns a PS4 is tempted by xbox next gen that they'll have the cheaper choice of using xcloud alongside buying a PS5. Then theres the more hardcore gamer who plays on PC and no longer needs an xbox to play Halo etc.

Xbox games will sell better by being on steam, and MAU will increase with steam/xcloud but we dont know whether their first party offerings will improve just yet. Whether xcloud takes off well I dont know, I dont see mobile gamers wanting to play more complex games but I do see some PS gamers using it to play some xbox games.

Regardless though, Sony will dominate again in the hardware and software sales and its really a win win situation for Sony if a minority of PS5 gamers are paying a small fee to stream xbox games instead of buying more hardware and investing in the xbox ecosystem.
Thanks future man.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I almost fully transitioned to PS4 coming from PC because of games. Despite PC services being vastly superior to any console by almost any possible measure.

If PS5 has the games, it'll be fine.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
In Europe, they only need the PlayStation brand. And FIFA. Nothing else. X-box and other consoles may as well not exists here.

The gen started with Xbox having the marketing rights to Fifa, and we that didn't make a dent. 15,16 and 17 (not sure about 14 though). It's not about having Fifa, it's that one brand is stronger than the other

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sony will fine as they are. The only chance is if they cock up somehow like the Xbox One did. While Sony will be fine for this gen, I also think MS at in a much stronger position and unless they cock up again, it could be an interesting battle. Great for all gamers tbh, maybe not so much for fanboys.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, my heart isn't broken because Lost Paradise isn't on PC. And I'm not actually sure what third party deals you are referring to at this point. Spider-Man was literally started by and paid for by Sony, so that doesn't count. Atlus has always been ass about support outside of the PlayStation ecosystem and Nintendo handhelds. Guess I'm not picking up what you are putting down.

There are still plenty of third party titles from Japan that still don't come to the PC and if they do it's usually much later. Plus while I agree partnersships funded by them like Bloodborne and Spidedrman it still uses third party resources to make those games and when you are the leader in sales it makes it that much easier to get those partnerships.

I guess some like myself feel Sony has a proven track record with regards to first party games so there is no real cause for concern. Yeah I agree they can be a little slow sometimes getting those heavy hitters out the door at the start of the generation, but they always come eventually and don't disappoint for the most part.

I feel MS on the other hand do have something to prove in this area. They are making all the right moves what with aggressive expansion of their internal studios but the benefits are possibly still a few years off being seen still.

By no means am I suggesting Microsoft is going to do better than Sony next gen, it would just be nice to see people be more open and not hardwired all the time to just automatically assume one will offer good games and the other wont.

The thing is we know Sony usually starts slow and by year 2-3 they ramp up. The difference I feel this gen compared to most is they never took their foote off the gas and when they hit their stride they rode on it for 5+ years with some really good content.

Not to discredit Sony's first party output but the PS4 had momentum right out of the gate and snowballed from there. It's not like Nintendo fumbles with its first party but look at the Wii U and how short lived that was. There is also a heck of a lot more to the success of a console than first party, once again look at Nintendo who can go toe to toe with Sony but not every generation turns out well for them.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm going by what people said in a thread that I made.

That's me. I've never owned an Xbox, and I really want to replay the ME trilogy this gen or next gen, seeing as how Ps4 can't do that, and that I game on consoles and not PCs, an Xbox would be a sensible investment for me.
Well if that's the case, how do you explain the sentiment that Ps5 bc is a crucial factor in the console's success at launch?

i was commenting more on the idea that it will play "all" past xbox games. it won't. licensing dictates that it won't, hence my comment about wishing it were true. i'd love a one stop shop for every single xbox and 360 game i own, but next gen xbox won't be that sadly.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

I think there were definitely a few factors that helped, especially so since we had the traditional Sony slow launch (which i think they are trying to mitigate with this patch where they've gone dark).

• Perceived power edge
  • Incredible good will - PSN+, visible commitment to unique software development across all budget tiers -> games weren't there at launch but you knew they were coming
  • Very bad Xbox launch - they took all the negatives from the PS3 and decided to make that central to their offering
  • Cheaper than the competition - both the 360 and PS4 were cheap, lean gaming machines, initial adopters loved that

I think we are in an interesting period where MS are making big plays to address these for the next launch. On the software front, I'll be honest, I've seen them buy studios before and they simply pump out games for the same franchises as usual. They are still pretty much unable to roll out more than one software conference per year, and then require that to be propped up with the third party titles. I'll believe their development capabilities when they demonstrate it. However, they've got some really good will propping them up at the moment.

My big question is if the next generation is going to be full of AAA GaaS titles to the detriment of everything else. Because that would absolutely destroy things for me. What's the point of going into bleeding edge gaming if all you're buying into is an marketing journey.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If the PS5 lets you play all your PS4 games (or more) then a lot of people will feel attached to that ecosystem, and if they're happy with the PS4 and how it pushed games over services, and the PS5 does the same, then surely that's most people with no reason to move on to something else

Even if they want to stream games, Sony offer that already

Will people really drop games they want to play in order to stream games from someone else they're not interested in? Seems like a stretch to me

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Western press sure likes downplaying Sony. Happened with the start of the generation and now it's happening again. The think pieces are always so silly and out of touch with the rest of the world.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the PS5 lets you play all your PS4 games (or more) then a lot of people will feel attached to that ecosystem, and if they're happy with the PS4 and how it pushed games over services, and the PS5 does the same, then surely that's most people with no reason to move on to something else

Even if they want to stream games, Sony offer that already

Will people really drop games they want to play in order to stream games from someone else they're not interested in? Seems like a stretch to me
This herd mentality is really bizarre. The PS2 did better than the PS4 is doing but look at what happened the following generation. The Wii did well and the WiiU sucked but looked at how well the Switch is doing. Not everyone (thankfully) is loyal generation after generation.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
This herd mentality is really bizarre. The PS2 did better than the PS4 is doing but look at what happened the following generation. The Wii did well and the WiiU sucked but looked at how well the Switch is doing. Not everyone (thankfully) is loyal generation after generation.

This is the first generation where full backwards compatbility is a default. Add to that the growth of digital libraries over this gen there will be many people unwilling to switch platforms and lose all those games. Comparing it to older gens where this wasn't the case is just futile.

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
Big Xbox fan and I love what MS has done so far with BC etc but for Sony next gen to be successful they need to just do what they did this gen with the games, I think B/C with PS4 would also help early adopters.

Sony smashed it because of their output on video games. It's all that matters!

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Western press sure likes downplaying Sony. Happened with the start of the generation and now it's happening again. The think pieces are always so silly and out of touch with the rest of the world.

Honestly I think part of it is lots of bloggers want to be the one that wrote that article that predicted the industry's turning point. They write whatever nonsense pops into their head that kind of correlates (superficially) to other industries and hope it turns out true. If not, everyone had already forgotten about it when next gen rolls around. If yes, you can put it in your portfolio as proof that you are a really good guesser.

Oct 25, 2017

The PS4 was/is, aligned, tracking higher than PS2. PS2 sales lifetime were the result of extremely strong and long legs.

PS3 still sold 85 plus million consoles and by most accounts, outsold the 360 and came in second place to the Wii.

I would say coming in second place, despite a year late launch, having worse versions of many popular multi-platform titles, missing out on multiplatform titles for years, a ridiculous price point and a litany of other mistakes shows that there was indeed loyalty.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
This is the first generation where full backwards compatbility is a default. Add to that the growth of digital libraries over this gen there will be many people unwilling to switch platforms and lose all those games. Comparing it to older gens where this wasn't the case is just futile.
PS2, PS3, PSVita, WiiU all had full native BC. Xbox One does not even have full native BC.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
PS2, PS3, PSVita, WiiU all had full native BC. Xbox One does not even have full native BC.

But PS5 and XboxNext will have native BC, that's what I said. I don't mean now, I mean at the start of the next gen. The two main competitors that share most of the same audience will both have BC.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I got to ask but why does it bother you so much people like PlayStation? You go through this same song and dance every thread. You can't understand why someone would be excited for PS5 after nearly 25 years of experience with PlayStation home consoles but you hype Stadia and Xcloud nonstop?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The difference being, and stay with me here, that everything from an account level is going to transfer over with the next gen for both guys. Tell a kid he can play fortnite on his ps5 and keep his skins and emotes and friends and any other games that he may play outside of fortnite and guess what happens? That kid is going to want to stay on that ecosystem. This is the first time something like that is going to occur

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Honestly I think part of it is lots of bloggers want to be the one that wrote that article that predicted the industry's turning point. They write whatever nonsense pops into their head that kind of correlates (superficially) to other industries and hope it turns out true. If not, everyone had already forgotten about it when next gen rolls around. If yes, you can put it in your portfolio as proof that you are a really good guesser.

Tbh I think its more that US journo's or bloggers live in a bubble and can't see anything beyond North America.
I agree that there is hopeful guessing thrown in too.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't really believe that subscription services are more compelling than video games, or necessarily as difficult to implement. Never once have I bought a console because of all the great subscriptions I could potentially sign up for - I bought it because it has some games I can't miss and can't play anywhere else.

Of course it would be great to have both, but if we're just assuming that MS will suddenly have good games, then we may as well assume that Sony will improve PS Now. I know MS has been investing in new studios, but Sony is probably investing in new OS and network technology behind the scenes as well.

Personally I see next gen as a toss-up with slight favor to Sony. Consumer loyalty exists but it's not iron clad, and Sony will lose the "I want to play online with my friends" factor if crossplay continues to become standard, which is a huge loss for them (just as it would have been for 360).

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The PS4 is still tracking ahead or is neck and neck of the PS2 at this point, PS2 just kept selling after the PS3. The Wii U wasn't Nintendo's only system on the market during the Wii U, the other was doing very well.
The people who think momentum doesn't matter are far more bizarre, they are clutching at straws almost. Also it's just as possible Xbox regresses even more next gen, so I don't get why some only use that as a "PS4's success doesn't actually matter that much" arguments, because x and y also happened.

Jun 21, 2018
The gen started with Xbox having the marketing rights to Fifa, and we that didn't make a dent. 15,16 and 17 (not sure about 14 though). It's not about having Fifa, it's that one brand is stronger than the other

It is about both. X-box would need FIFA as an exclusive to break through, not only marketing rights. That would be huge. People knew they would get FIFA on ps4 even without marketing.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I would say coming in second place, despite a year late launch, having worse versions of many popular multi-platform titles, missing out on multiplatform titles for years, a ridiculous price point and a litany of other mistakes shows that there was indeed loyalty.

I wouldnt attribute second place to "loyalty" at all, it was a combination of the Slim revision cutting the price in half and software getting more consistent, both around 2009. They made some big mistakes even after that, but they got the ball rolling in the right direction and leaned on software. They couldn't have sold 90 million PS3s with just the loyal Sony fans

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Look nothing is set in stone and anything can happen, we know this from past history. But if a manufacturer needed to really nail it in a gen, it was this one. Both companies decided to switch to X86 architecture so they can have BC going forward (among other reasons) and now the expectation is set.

With the rise of digital downloads, people aren't going to just discard their library that they've built up over 6-7 years due to a 10-15% power difference or 1-2 exclusives. It would take dozens of exclusives or a legit revolutionary game that everyone flocks to or a $100+ price advantage to really swing the pendulum.

Or it would take a Wii like changeup. But I suspect both Sony and MS will continue with the traditional model going forward. Sony's worldwide presence just can't be ignored.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just a quick note for this point as many seem to not realiase or ignore it.

While PS2 may have currently sold more then PS4 and be considered the best gen of all time, Sony made more money last year alone with PS4 then the entire PS2 generation.

So not only are Sony on track to have the second best selling home console of all time but they made more money in one year then the best selling home console of all time.Thats how well they are currently doing.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I got to ask but why does it bother you so much people like PlayStation? You go through this same song and dance every thread. You can't understand why someone would be excited for PS5 after nearly 25 years of experience with PlayStation home consoles but you hype Stadia and Xcloud nonstop?

Guess other people notice it also .
It seem it hard for him to understand that after 25 years people know what to expect from Sony .

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I wonder if Sony will introduce a subscription service like Gamepass. Maybe something like PlayStation Plus Platinum. PlayStation Now is not really a competitor at the moment.