• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, good games is the only thing that matters.

You could remove every other thing, the online, the trophies, community stuff, events, everything.

And if the damn game is good enough people will want it.

This is a fact whether there's bc, streaming or whatever other shit ppl are claiming will make a console successful. Bc is great but has been around on many different systems and didnt turn any tides so has streaming. Shit one of the highest selling games on PS4 was tlou Remastered and rightfully so. The priority for most ppl first and foremost is having good to great games to play and tht creates sales whether it's exclusives or not.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
That click bait title change on the site...
FROM old URL
sony-needs-more-good-games-playstation-5-stay-top-xbox-next-generation
TO
Sony can't just rely on good games for the PlayStation 5 to best the next Xbox

Oct 25, 2017
You might have a point if virtually every single move Microsoft has made for the last couple of years didn't point to them thinking outside of the box, literally. Clearly software has become a MAJOR priority to them for next gen, and all the avenues to get it out to gamers abroad.

Microsoft isn't as dependent on selling hardware as Sony and Nintendo are to thrive. If you were talking about Soley hardware sales, I could see your point. But next gen, hardware sales will be taking a back seat to subscriptions and streaming services in which the other Big 2 aren't equipped for.

Like, literally, Microsoft has laid a clear path to the pearly Gates of gaming while Sony and Nintendo continued the more traditional route via hardware. If hardware were the be-all-end-all to success in this industry, Google, Amazon and even Netflix would've placed their chips on an Entertainment box to go under your television set. Clearly they didn't. Like, at all! In fact, no box required.

So when you speak on "Xbox getting whipped next gen" forgive me if I chuckle a bit. The game has changed..... significantly. Sony won't be the only one's with the games next gen. And unfortunately, it doesnt look like their quite on the level of subs and streaming services like Microsoft are.

Don't mistake me tho; I want all the big boys to play in the majors. But to think Sony and Nintendo can still play this game like its 1995, is missing a much, much bigger picture.

Did you write the article? Your comment was equally ridiculous.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
My comment is simply that with full-BC capability on both sides, MS is going to find it very hard to flip Sony gamers (at least casual ones) back to the MS ecosystem because PS5 will be able to play all their existing PS4 library the day it releases. Maybe MS will have some good software going forward (probable), but the point is that Sony DEFINITELY will, and they have all the PS4 software to tout as well ...

Changing ecosystems sucks when you have to start over. It's one of the reasons that I've never left Apple - don't want to have to rebuy all the Apps

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You might have a point if virtually every single move Microsoft has made for the last couple of years didn't point to them thinking outside of the box, literally. Clearly software has become a MAJOR priority to them for next gen, and all the avenues to get it out to gamers abroad.

Microsoft isn't as dependent on selling hardware as Sony and Nintendo are to thrive. If you were talking about Soley hardware sales, I could see your point. But next gen, hardware sales will be taking a back seat to subscriptions and streaming services in which the other Big 2 aren't equipped for.

Like, literally, Microsoft has laid a clear path to the pearly Gates of gaming while Sony and Nintendo continued the more traditional route via hardware. If hardware were the be-all-end-all to success in this industry, Google, Amazon and even Netflix would've placed their chips on an Entertainment box to go under your television set. Clearly they didn't. Like, at all! In fact, no box required.

So when you speak on "Xbox getting whipped next gen" forgive me if I chuckle a bit. The game has changed..... significantly. Sony won't be the only one's with the games next gen. And unfortunately, it doesnt look like their quite on the level of subs and streaming services like Microsoft are.

Don't mistake me tho; I want all the big boys to play in the majors. But to think Sony and Nintendo can still play this game like its 1995, is missing a much, much bigger picture.

Hardware sales won't take a back seat next gen since that is where most of the money will be coming from software wise.
Also the only company that has streaming service up and running in many countries not ready for it make no sense
They also have streaming tech for stuff like remote play or share play .
People can say it crap all they want but Sony has one and they even working with MS to make it better .
Side note if you think streaming will make up even 25% of market next gen your dreaming .
The only people that missing the bigger picture are people not looking at context and facts.

Last edited:

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle but to be honest you have a history of being quite defensive of all things MS related so that explains it I guess.

As explained, Sony has a legacy of delivering on first party content for 25 years now and I (and it seems many others) feel safe in knowing that they have delivered for 4 generations in a row now and are happy to give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll deliver once again with the PS5.

MS on the other hand still has something to prove in this area and the onus is on them to do it. If they can deliver the goods and prove that they're willing to support their platform all the way through a generation (and not once again take their foot off the accelerator towards the end) then I'm sure more people would be willing to also start giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Totally agree. Both fair and rational, thanks.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Hardware sales won't take a back seat next gen since that is where most of the money will be coming from software wise.
Also the only company that has streaming service up and running in many countries not ready for it make no sense
They also have streaming tech for stuff like remote play or share play .
People can say it crap all they want but Sony has one and they even working with MS to make it better .
Side note if you think streaming will make up even 25% of market next gen your dreaming .
The only people that missing the bigger picture are people not looking at context and facts.

The bolded is especially comical. People said the same thing about, Live, digital, BC and GP and look where we are now.

And is it me or do you seem really adamant about people paying $400-$500 for a console when you can jump in the Xbox ecosystem with the low cost of Xcloud and GP. Sure, we dont know the price of Xcloud yet but, it wont be much more than what we pay for now with GP and Live. Enthusiasts like us will pay the price of a console without even blinking. Shit, even I've thought about just signing up to Xcloud when it launches and skipping out on a console next gen (I'll still get the console, too but the option will definitely be there!) The price of admission for next gen gaming (on Xbox at least) will be so low it'll be almost criminal not to sign up for an Xcloud and GP combo. If Xcloud works as advertised, it will literally create gamers and open this entire thing wide open.

I stand by what I said, hardware sales WILL take a back seat to subscriptions and streaming. That doesnt mean they wont play a part in the initial venture, but they wont be front and center like theyve been in the past - only in fanboy wars.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Like, literally, Microsoft has laid a clear path to the pearly Gates of gaming
Ummm.

Dependence on hardware has nothing to do with why Microsoft has changed direction halfway through this generation and focused on services that go beyond hardware requirements. There's no way you can determine that hardware sales will be taking a back seat to anything, nor can you say Sony is not equipped to offer services on par with Xbox given they've had PlayStation Now and Remote Play for yonks and have laid out a clear next-gen plan on how they are going to expand the service over the next few years. You're only going off statements of intent from Microsoft, and you are simply believing what they say is true with no actual proof that what they're looking to offer can be sustainable in the long term, or have the reach they desire vs. the tried and true business model that we actually know works, especially for a brand that already knows how to be successful globally. Subs and streaming services are currently… a thing for these companies. They are an important revenue stream and will become more prominent, but not to the extent you're claiming here.

The game has changed..... significantly. Sony won't be the only one's with the games next gen. And unfortunately, it doesnt look like their quite on the level of subs and streaming services like Microsoft are.
Sony wasn't the only one with the games this gen. Microsoft had exclusives this gen, they had studios this gen, they just weren't up to the standard that the market demanded, and just like how you're overestimating the impact that services will have over the traditional hardware route, you are also making assumptions about the games Microsoft will be providing next-gen without having results to go off.

And unfortunately, it doesnt look like their quite on the level of subs and streaming
We are yet to get numbers for subs like Game Pass so I don't know where that's coming from or how you can say that definitively, and cloud streaming on Xbox from what was demoed is 720p (PS Now doubles that) and sounds a lot like Remote Play.

Your comment is very reflective of the articles we always get going into next-gen that "Sony doesn't have what it takes" and "are not prepared to go against what Microsoft has going on" etc etc with nothing to back it up. Heard it all before.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The bolded is especially comical. People said the same thing about, Live, digital, BC and GP and look where we are now.

And is it me or do you seem really adamant about people paying $400-$500 for a console when you can jump in the Xbox ecosystem with the low cost of Xcloud and GP. Sure, we dont know the price of Xcloud yet but, it wont be much more than what we pay for now with GP and Live. Enthusiasts like us will pay the price of a console without even blinking. Shit, even I've thought about just signing up to Xcloud when it launches and skipping out on a console next gen (I'll still get the console, too but the option will definitely be there!) The price of admission for next gen gaming (on Xbox at least) will be so low it'll be almost criminal not to sign up for an Xcloud and GP combo. If Xcloud works as advertised, it will literally create gamers and open this entire thing wide open.

I stand by what I said, hardware sales WILL take a back seat to subscriptions and streaming. That doesnt mean they wont play a part in the initial venture, but they wont be front and center like theyve been in the past - only in fanboy wars.

None of what you list people said the same thing about .
DD with it's growth is not even 50% of the console market WW and that is after near 10 years.
And you expect streaming which has much bigger problems like owner ship , internet speed , caps , country availability to grow even faster .
Hardware will take a back seat but it sure will not be until late next gen and that is if things work out .
I expect when streaming don't take off as fast as some companies think you hear people talk nonsense just like VR when these things take time.

EDIT i also forget to mention that streaming for gaming so far very differnt than how it is for other media markets which is a another problem.

Last edited:

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sony is going to use the same setup as Xcloud with Azure for clouding gaming, this is coming straight from Satya's quote recently. PS Now has old games but we know Sony has some games that they can put on the service, it's unlike Google that has to build content from the beginning. It seems to me that it's more of a business decision than they lack some expertise to do it. I mean Sony actually could be the winner in the game streaming war, I wouldn't write them off just like I wouldn't write MS off.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
The main feature Sony's been dragging ass on is crossplay. MS and Nintendo are good to go. What does Sony have to lose? If they'd stop trying to be a fucking island and add that feature to the PS5, I'm pretty much set. I'm not sure what services/features they'd need to consider in addition to that, BC, a 4K disc reader, access to all the streaming video services and a more streamlined online multiplayer.

We're just agree to disagree at this point and argue about semantics.

2 gens ago people outside of the Playstation ecosystem were pretty much in a sad bubble. Nowadays people can get around most of hadcore gaming stuff and still ignore Sony completely. Like, did Nintendo dominated the 7th gen as well based on printing money? I wouldn't agree and i'm pretty sure people here won't as well :p

Man, if you say so lol. I have two consoles (PS4 and PC, which means I technically have an Xbone too) and it's honestly kinda gross how much more I use my PS4 in comparison. If I had a Switch I'd probably get into Smash Bros , Zelda and Mario Odyssey and maybe a few more games but I can't imagine having only an xbox or only a Switch and feeling content as far as access to the games I want to play. It becomes subjective to an extent, but it seems clear to me that Sony offers the most amount of exclusive quality content this generation, and the sales numbers indicate the user base of consoles this gen is more lopsided than ever because of it.

Last edited:

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
This on-going narrative about Sony having to "catch up" to MS is truly astounding to see.

Name the only hardware maker that offers a streaming and subscription service today.

Sony have that in place right now, yet they're the ones having to catch up. It's utterly bizarre.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
I'm probably older than most around here. I still remember going into the Sony store and paying $300 for the original Playstation thinking this was the best system ever. At the time it was but the reason was not fur its first party titles.

Some of you put way too much emphasis on the success of the Playstation brand for its first party titles. Which is why it's still baffling to me how some are just so eager to start next gen with them. Every generation to me starts from zero and as I said you begin to find out soon enough who the third party lean towards.

As for the momentum comment, what momentum did the Switch have or the Wii?
I'll play your game then, as I too am old enough to remember the first Playstation and the consoles before it. And I think you downplay to an almost hilarious degree the Brand+Goodwill earned from 1P titles. It's basically how Nintendo has carried along for every post-NES gen, and it was a big part of why the PS2 entered the field with such goodwill. (Brilliant pricing notwithstanding)
Your personal experience is just that, especially when more people point out the opposite of it as being important.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll play your game then, as I too am old enough to remember the first Playstation and the consoles before it. And I think you downplay to an almost hilarious degree the Brand+Goodwill earned from 1P titles. It's basically how Nintendo has carried along for every post-NES gen, and it was a big part of why the PS2 entered the field with such goodwill. (Brilliant pricing notwithstanding)
Your personal experience is just that, especially when more people point out the opposite of it as being important.
People bought Playstation back then for games like Ridge Racer and a ton of other third party titles. It was the hardware and building relations with those third party that led to games coming to Sony rather than Nintendo.

Oct 25, 2017

This is funny considering youy literally waging fanboy wars with every post. If believe streaming is going to be dominant next gen you are delusional. It's that simple. None of the 3 major players including Microsoft will be putting streaming first and don't see Stadia being anything more than a sideshow.

time-space

Oct 27, 2017

Streaming exists today on the ps4 and pc and it's not that popular. Why would it be popular a year from now?

Last edited:

kungfuian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Little question about Microsoft's streaming plans.

We know they are rolling out that service running on X-1 level systems this year but when do we think they intend to roll out X-cloud streaming based on Scarlet level hardware.

Given their approach to scale-able software (i.e. new Scarlet games being made that will still work on X1 hardware like Halo Infinite), as well as a desire/plan for the service to reach mass market customers who prob don't care about the highest end specs, I wonder if the X-cloud service will be based on X1 hardware for at least the first year or two into next gen.

Would something like this influence how you see the service? Any thoughts?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
So wait, Sony is still doomed? Same Sony with TLOU, Horizons, Spider-Man, God of War, Days Gone (seemingly inexplicably the new hotness) and more? That Sony? The one with whole bunch of paying streaming subscribers and decent remote play experience? The Sony that is a clear leader in EU and Asia (although Nintendo is catching up fast there) and where MS is dead?

Yeah, sure, MS has it all locked up!

MS' gaming endeavors are certainly going to be viable and profitable, Azure is pretty awesome (if sometimes annoying) and overall MS is a gigantically profitable company, but seriously to think that Sony are behind in the next gen game is plain insanity.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Uh.. I just want a continuation of the PS4 with the ability to remote play on iOS devices with the DS4/DS5. Don't want any streaming services.

Beyond that, good games is all I need.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People said that at the start of this generation and it didn't prove to be true.
I personally think streaming will take off and grow the industry massively, but it's definitely not a guarantee.

Streaming exists today on the ps4 and pc and it's not that popular. Why would it be popular a year from now?

Because XCloud is:
1) way better, experience wise
2) on more platforms
3) will most likely support all games (new and old)