• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Good for you. I however waited for 3 years before I bought the PS3 and thought the Xbox 360 was the better system for games. I just find it odd how some are just so eager to always give them the benefit right away when they usually start off very slow for first party offerings.
Its almost like Sony has earned that benefit of the doubt after 25+ years which is something pointless articles like this continually omit.

Oct 25, 2017
So you will wait until year 5 of the next generation before you commit or are you just assuming one will provide you with games?

I don't have to assume. Sony is proven over two generations and still going strong. Microsoft is selling hope with acquisition celebrations. It's why it didn't matter who had the better launch lineup to start this generation because people had confidence in one company to deliver. The other one shit the bed. They are working hard to fix it now, but until It's happens it's just talk.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
User Warned: Console warring
there's bloodborne, god of war, horizon zero dawn, and final fantasy 7 in PS4..... I am not crying, xbox owners are crying.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
They're right - along with games, they also have to make the box fans not wake up the neighbors 3 blocks over.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
video game console won't sell as well because it has more good games, less subscription fees

giphy.gif

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Make sense, their games focus strategy don't have a lot of room to expand.
They have to spend more money to maintain the same stagnant market next gen with AAA budget continue to grow.
The reality is they don't have the chop to reach bigger audience like Gamepass and PC.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I just find it odd how some are just so eager to always give them the benefit right away when they usually start off very slow for first party offerings.

I guess some like myself feel Sony has a proven track record with regards to first party games so there is no real cause for concern. Yeah I agree they can be a little slow sometimes getting those heavy hitters out the door at the start of the generation, but they always come eventually and don't disappoint for the most part.

I feel MS on the other hand do have something to prove in this area. They are making all the right moves what with aggressive expansion of their internal studios but the benefits are possibly still a few years off being seen still.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Cant understand the topic actually.

The reason PS4 is selling is because of exclusive games only. Dont see that changing anytime soon. Who would want to miss the next gow spidey,horizon,gt7,etc????

Also i am not sure if Xbox as a hardware is being promoted anyway,they just want to be there for the sake if it now. Their focus is selling softwares rather than Hardware.

Sony has already won the PS5 battle as i see.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's services are great no doubt, but if we're comparing PS3 to PS4 with X1 to Next Xbox, the gulf is massive. The PS3 had already established a strong first party offering leading into PS4 in a was Microsoft has simply got nowhere near, even with the studio acquisitions.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
For any streaming service exclusive content is king.

Sony has lots of exclusives.

Time to write super concerned opinion pieces about Sony!

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda wanna see Sony fumble somehow beginning next gen just to see gaming media fucking go wild.

It's not gonna happen but it would be fun to see.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I wonder who is more doomed now, Sony or Nintendo. "Except for the games, Europe and Asia, Xbox got the next gen in the bag".

I mean I have Xbox X, love the hardware, love the GamePass, but there is 0 chance I will buy Xbox 2 anywhere in the first few years. Everything is coming to PC now, so there is very little point in actually buying console hardware.

On the other hand I would love to see Spider-Man 2, next God of War, Horizons, Uncharted, TLOU2 and more on PS5.

So PC and PS5 (and Switch) will cover me, for example. I will pony up for GamePass (have Ultimate till end of 2021) though.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Good for you. I however waited for 3 years before I bought the PS3 and thought the Xbox 360 was the better system for games. I just find it odd how some are just so eager to always give them the benefit right away when they usually start off very slow for first party offerings.
The thing is we know Sony usually starts slow and by year 2-3 they ramp up. The difference I feel this gen compared to most is they never took their foote off the gas and when they hit their stride they rode on it for 5+ years with some really good content.

DigitalScars

Dec 15, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I think the point of the article is what if MS has great infrastructure and great games? All the third parties and the results of their first party investments?

If that happens, how will Sony counter?
Fair point. If they have the games then of course I'm in especially if they continue their game pass that seems excellent value.

There's no guarantee they will have the games though, they surprised me this gen by not having a good amount of exclusives, it's purely the reason I didn't dip this gen but I agree with you, if the games are there Sony will need to up their game.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just find it odd how some are just so eager to always give them the benefit right away when they usually start off very slow for first party offerings.

I would call it "earned trust". Not once was i dissapointed when a gen ended.

PS1 was a great first try with awesome games
PS2 was a home run with even better games
PS3 fumbled out of the gate and needed 2-3 years to find its footing but in the end it was a great gen with lots of fantastic games
PS4 was ok in the first year and got better and better. Now its one of the best gens ever and the games are better than ever.

Why shouldn't i lean back and let the goodness wash over me for a fith time? Even with just half the games in each gen i would've been very happy.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot to dissect in this piece from Android Central but the gist is this: the author warns about the complacency that comes with "winning" a console generation, and how "losing" the race drove Microsoft to make sweeping changes to finish the generation on a high note and carry their momentum into the next one.
What momentum?

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
It's 2012 again, the press and the head of MS will never learn the lesson: Sony is in trouble, xbox is poised to dominate with cloud (now x cloud) and so on. Every gen Sony need to learn from people that know nothing about gaming how to sell a brand that in 4 gen have sold almost 440 million consoles and take lessons from a company that in 3 gen have sold less than ps2 alone, seems legit.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Jesus what is this? Sony pretty much already won next-gen with the PS5 being backwards compatible, so players can play games like Spider-Man, God of War, Bloodborne, The Last of Us 1 + 2, all Uncharteds and all VR stuff from the get-go. Their vastly superior first party studio's will make it even worse on top of that.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
True and it's kinda sad that there aren't any real competition or challenge on Sony's position. Now they win generations by default, and as such can muscle content exclusivity and just concentrate on bringing maximum value to their shareholders with minimum effort.

That's not exactly what happened with the PS2 after the PS1.

Thekiddfran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its actually the exact opposite of this article that will make Sony the more dominant console manufacturer next gen. Terrible article

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
The problem I have is these articles don't seem to look much beyond the USA and perhaps UK markets.
I would like to see a think piece on how these US journo's expect Xbox to make inroads globally around Asia, EU, Africa and Australia where Xbox is on life support (from general data I believe Xbox is ok in South America?)

Doing well in some of these areas is also key to success, which Xbox 360 achieved to a certain extent, and streaming is not entirely viable atm in some of these regions mentioned (which is entirely MS big bet moving forward).

I still think games, global support infrastructure and hardware price are the primary drivers next gen which should mean Sony can be ok.
MS should do well too but I dunno about the articles premise of good games not mattering in the future.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
As long as Microsoft sticks to their PC Parity sales model, they'll have a really hard time pushing the Xbox back to the forefront.

Sony's big draw is the exclusives, and games that actually warrant the purchase of a console, even if you own a gaming PC. MS just doesn't do that because they also need to worry about their PC Gaming base.

Sure, more and more PS4 games made it over to PC eventually, but Sony's keeping their own IPs very close to their chest.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I don't know guys, I mean look at IHOP they flourish after focusing on stuff that aren't pancakes.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
What is it with this fucking industry and "innovation". It just bugs me to no end. Even people on this site are sometimes like "why should I buy a blah blah blah, generic company name doesn't innovate / brings nothing new to the table".

Like, who gives a fuck that my new console can't hold my dick while I'm pissing. Sony has a well recognized brand and a killer first party LineUp. Unless they loose that or traditional gaming goes the way of the Dodo, it will always be about the games. And even if that happens and drop out of the hardware business, they could still make their money as a developer.

Kuni

Oct 27, 2017
Well to take the article seriously I have the complete opposite take.

I remember this same argument being put around at the beginning of this gen and it's been disproven completely with PS4 and Switch.

Good games are the core for any console. The services and QoL features do matter a lot (especially early days when exclusives aren't in big supply) but it always comes back to the games.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
WHy are these artilcles still comparting Xbox with Playstation.
Playstation is a global brand.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
"Yeah, well, is having good games even important?"

Sounds like the ravings of a fanboy, to be perfectly honest.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
MS has bought some studios, but we still have to see if they can provide anything on the scale of Bloodborne or Spider-Man...It seems like just having some first-party studios is enough to compete with some of the strongest games in the market, but the sad reality is that right now we only have things like Crackdown 3 or Sea of Thieves to gauge against. Sure, Ori, Killer Instinct and Cuphead were amazing but they´re on a much smaller scale than Horizon or TLoU. The only heavy hitters MS has are Forza, Gears and Halo, and they all have been losing steam through the years. No matter how you look at it, the gap in first-party games between Sony and MS has only widened in the last gen and the trend seems to be that it´s growing even wider.

And that´s without even going into what it´s like to work for MS. We´ve seen how Rare has fallen from the top after the MS acquisition, or how P* had its´ more ambitious game cancelled. It may not have been MS fault, but just look at the glowing previews Astral Chain is getting and the repeated comments from both Nintendo and P* on how great it´s to work with each other. Now, contrary to history we have to believe that all these newly bought studios are going to up their game under MS´ umbrella and release stuff that can compete with God Of War or Uncharted...remember that both Ori and Cuphead were well under development when MS got their hands on them. Maybe this time MS will give freedom, resources and provide a nice environment to nurture these studios so they can give the best they have, but even then it´s delusional to think that right of the bat they´ll be releasing juggernauts that can compete with Sony´s offerings. Uncharted, TLoU, GoW...all come from studios that are mature and have spent many years refining their structure, tools, procedures...Just like BotW or Mario Odyssey were only possible because Nintendo capitalized on all the previous work that paved the way before them.

The article also disregards completely that XBox is almost irrelevant outside of the US.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
These articles man.... Sony is going to have a massive head start due to PS4 being fully backwards compatible. People being able to carry over their libraries is going to be a huge boon to keeping people in the Playstation ecosystem. Playstation also has arguably the best exclusives on consoles.

Ditto!