• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Thanks to orzkare

From the shareholders meeting in Japan today

www.jiji.com

PS5販売台数、来年度は史上最高へ ソニーGの吉田社長―株主総会:時事ドットコム

ソニーグループは22日午前、東京都内で株主総会を開いた。吉田憲一郎社長は、品薄が続いている家庭用ゲーム機「プレイステーション(PS)5」について、「来年度は供給を加速し、PSの歴史において過去最大となる年間2260万台以上の販売を実現したい」と強調した。「巣ごもり」需要を背景に、初代PSの1998年度の販売記録を更新することを目指す。

The venue of Sony Group's general meeting of shareholders in Minato Ward, Tokyo on June 22.

On the morning of June 22, the Sony Group held a general meeting of shareholders in Tokyo. Mr. Kenichiro Yoshida, President and CEO of Sony Corporation, stressed that the company would accelerate the supply of PlayStation (PS) 5 in the next fiscal year to achieve sales of more than 22.6 million units per year, the largest ever in the history of PS. Against the backdrop of "nest egg" demand, the company aims to break the sales record of the original PS in fiscal 1998.

via Jarod McChicken

Install base of roughly 45 million in 2.5 years

Seems like they are predicting their strongest console generation.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
User Warned: Thread Derail
But you're not gonna do any PS5 exclusives in that first two years now that Ratchet and Returnal are out.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a PS5 owner this makes me very happy. Sony is definitely going to make this a special generation. But I do wonder how much of that demand is driven by the pandemic.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Not surprised. Something would need to go really wrong for the PS5 to not end up bigger than the PS4. Specially since Sony seems to be betting on places like Chinamore than ever.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
They're off to a great start that's for sure. I know many people who are still searching for one.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
At this rate its going to easily outsell the PS4 in 6 years, even if some years are lower, and some are higher.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that they will be able to do that even with renewed interest in Xbox, so those increased Xbox sales aren't taking away from ps5 and it's sales are increasing over ps4 at the same time?

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Crazy imagine if Japan still cared about home consoles (that pertains to PS4 as well)

Jun 23, 2019
But you're not gonna do any PS5 exclusives in that first two years now that Ratchet and Returnal are out.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
We literally know like 3 games coming to the PS5 right now from their first party. Their deals with 3rd party AFAWK is PS5 only (deathloop, FF16, Forespoken). I'm sure Sony would have a lot more than just these 3 games for the 18 months.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that they will be able to do that even with renewed interest in Xbox, so those increased Xbox sales aren't taking away from ps5 and it's sales are increasing over ps4 at the same time?
As of now it's not like MS is selling much more consoles than last generation. Might and will probably change down the line but as of now the gap is as wide as it was last gen, if not wider.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Give it time. GoW, GT, and Horizon might be cross gen, but we still don't know everything they have coming down the pipe. I hope there's more, because getting cross gen games late next year when the PS5 is knocking on a 50 million unit install base would feel ridiculous.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I'd bet > 80% of that 45m users owned one of the 120m ps4s before. So this doesn't work out like that completely. But it's still a Giant install base nonetheless

Not forgetting recent sales figures in the uk showing crazy things like metro exodus sales being 77% on PS5. I know you cant extrapolate that to everywhere and digital needs to be factored in but it just seems to be a fact that most of the people of who spend are the ones who transition the quickest to next gen.

Jun 20, 2018
I don't know. Where are the extra people coming in compared to the PS4? It definitely looks like more people are going in early. I know so many people that usually get a console 3 years in, that ended up with a PS5 at launch (or at least wanting one), but not sure I really see anything that's pulling in the people that never wanted a PS4 at all.

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
That's great for Sony, especially considering component shortages. Their supply chain department manager must be getting a fat bonus. Remember the pre-generation start FUD that Sony wouldn't be able to make PS5s due to terrible yields? These numbers laugh in the face of that. But also, numbers and statements like this really makes the narrative of "Sony have to release PS5 games on PS4 as well because there's no PS5s around" fall apart, if they were "committed to generations" they could easily go PS5 exclusive and do no worse then any other generation

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I don't know. Where are the extra people coming in compared to the PS4? It definitely looks like more people are going in early. I know so many people that usually get a console 3 years in, that ended up with a PS5 at launch (or at least wanting one), but not sure I really see anything that's pulling in the people that never wanted a PS4 at all.

Backwards compatibility and a huge line up of new PS5 games coming out early on this generation are 2 reasons for people to get a PS5.
Imagine never getting a PS4 and suddenly you get a PS5 + PS Plus with that huge range of new games to play. Plus a huge catalog of games that are cheap as hell right now.

Let's also not forget how Sony is also expanding to new markets as we speak. They are also thinking about that.

Also, MS is giving less and less reasons for people to buy their own hardware to play their games since they are going for a "play anywhere you want" approach. You just need Gamepass basically.

Last edited:

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
All this and they haven't even bit their stride yet when it comes to the exclusives.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
People said similar from PS3 to PS4. As Tiago noted, the reasons are there and Sony obviously knows how to read the market.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
As of now it's not like MS is selling much more consoles than last generation. Might and will probably change down the line but as of now the gap is as wide as it was last gen, if not wider.
+1 nothing suggests Xbox is selling more now than it did 1 gen ago, even with a cheap Series S.

It will probably sell more when the AAA finally start dropping.
Starfield could be a HUGE console seller IF it is as good as people expect/hope!

For PS it will be interesting to see the impact of the TLOU series (and other things in production) on software & hardware sales!

I think it will be a great gen for the 3!

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean to detract or console war, but do we know for certain Xbox sales are up? Like I'm sure it's doing better than One in the same time frame, but I think for all the real meat is once they can meet demand.

And I mean I think all can sell well. Wii/360/PS3 was a 100/80/80M split, and PS4 sold 110M+ while switch sold what, 70-80M now? And likely 100M+ eventually? Not to mention Xbox one doing 50-60M?

what I'm trying to say is Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo can all actually gain market at the same time

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I don't mean to detract or console war, but do we know for certain Xbox sales are up? Like I'm sure it's doing better than One in the same time frame, but I think for all the real meat is once they can meet demand.

It is behind Xbox One in the same time frame. Of course stock issue are def compounding the issue but I believe from data so far its behind.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
This is a forecast FYI, not current sales numbers as some are interpreting. That said, the demand definitely seems to be there to make this happen, supply is the key.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

And I mean I think all can sell well. Wii/360/PS3 was a 100/80/80M split, and PS4 sold 110M+ while switch sold what, 70-80M now? And likely 100M+ eventually? Not to mention Xbox one doing 50-60M?

what I'm trying to say is Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo can all actually gain market at the same time
Yes, because this isn't a market that operates on net zero margin. All companies increase their user base because one user can purchase all available consoles/products, thus a pool of 100 people can easily split across three consoles evenly or the exact same. Of course market leaders appear and gain traction to be top, but in a field like gaming that changes so rapidly with technology and fads, the top competitor could change in a week.

Is there actually evidence that Xbox isn't selling much? Yes the Series S is hit or miss depending on the country, but Series X seems to be out of stock just as much as PS5.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
+1 nothing suggests Xbox is selling more now than it did 1 gen ago, even with a cheap Series S.

It will probably sell more when the AAA finally start dropping.
Starfield could be a HUGE console seller IF it is as good as people expect/hope!

For PS it will be interesting to see the impact of the TLOU series (and other things in production) on software & hardware sales!

I think it will be a great gen for the 3!
Yeah, if someone was going to make that argument you could say that PS5 breaking Sonys records is very impressive because of Nintendos massives increased presents and Xbox in general growing by alot.

PS5 vs. Switch vs. Xbox/GP vs. PC Gaming being bigger than ever

Meanwhile the PS4 had to compete with the WiiU and a more expensive but weaker Xbox One.

Overall as many have said very impressive PS5 results, but there is no reason to give the Xbox too much credit in terms of competition yet based on available data. Might be a bit different 2 years from now, we will see.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is a forecast FYI, not current sales numbers as some are interpreting. That said, the demand definitely seems to be there to make this happen, supply is the key.
Indeed, the impressive news is confidence in making that many units within the next year, especially after all of the component shortages. ~2M units a month sustained isnt too shabby.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
I am skeptical about these goals. It would be really interesting to get some data about the demand, where it comes from and what drives it.

People seem to like talking about competition from Microsoft and Nintendo but in my opinion the real competition is the PC. The actual alternative right now is not between Playstation and Xbox but whether you stick with consoles or build your own computer.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I still feel the improving competition will slow PS5 sales more than Sony expect.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Well I'm about to buy my second ps5 so yeah lol, definitely seeing that happening. Seeing that Sony is still honoring their word from their lottery from last October shows me that they have at least a plan to get all those interested in the past few months to get their hands on one. That's major respect from me.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I see no reason this won't happen so long as the supply chain holds up. Whether demand is there for 45 million consoles , who knows ? But it sure seems like these things are selling the second they're made available. One could surmise that a large % of those 120 million PS4 owners intend to upgrade at some point in the next 4-5 years. The real question is how many Xbox owners from last gen have switched and how many brand new PS owners are there ? I've seen a few posts saying "Xbox has renewed interest" but I've only noticed that among people on here and elsewhere that already picked up a new Xbox or plan to buy one. Surely , like usual , once it begins to get a healthy sampling of its own exclusives , people will begin to buy more of them too but that feels like mid to long term and end of next year is still pretty short term.

Seanlole

Oct 25, 2017
Looks insane, but the demand is there and the shortages makes the system more attractive.
The problem are the scalpers, though.