• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
By Twinfinite: https://twinfinite.net/2019/02/sony-cloud-vs-ps4

Speaking about risks, Totoki-san explained that open-platform free-to-play games are becoming more widespread in the market, which could be a potential risk to the business.

Additionally games moving into the cloud, as an extreme example, could make physical hardware unnecessary. That being said. Totoki-san thinks it'll take much longer [than five years] for this to happen.

To counter these trends Sony can offer advantageous revenue share and the most immersive experiences possible. Third-party partners are very much supportive of PlayStation, and this will help Sony to avoid being affected by the risks mentioned.

In terms of opportunities, the largest one is the increase in network services performance and recurring business. The PS4's massive installed base and monthly active users in excess of ninety million are a strong point and leveraging the strength of the PS4 will expand the business and continue to generate profits.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smart man. Streaming may be the future in 30 years (I hope it never is), but not next-gen and anyone who focuses on it as a big selling point next-gen is going to find themselves in a Kinect situation.

The internet infrastructure and laws in the United States aren't going to be ready for streaming in 5, 10, or even 15 years.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The cloud will never eliminate local hardware, but will lower the barrier of entry for gaming, which is always good. Cloud gaming being the only way to game would be lame as hell.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Smart man. Streaming may be the future in 30 years, but not next-gen and anyone who focuses on it as a big selling point next-gen is going to find themselves in a Kinect situation.
Agree. Sony has the advantage of knowing where cloud game streaming is at atm (PS Now)

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
For Sony that's obvious, i don't expect much from their cloud services, that's an area where i can totally see Microsoft having an edge.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
As long as it happens. But I'm going to choose the console/manufacturer that focuses on streaming.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Smart man. Streaming may be the future in 30 years, but not next-gen and anyone who focuses on it as a big selling point next-gen is going to find themselves in a Kinect situation.

It could become an extra source of revenue besides consoles. Nobody has said consoles will become obsolete next gen.

NovusTerminus

May 24, 2018
Agreed, the issue lies in one simple fact; it's not a matter of when is the tech ready, because we see it being implemented right now. The problem is when is the infrastructure wide enough so that sales are not going to be lost by moving solely to cloud based computing.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
We still need so much better internet in the west anyway. Even for an all digital future. USA for instance needs to have access to gigabit speeds even in the boonies. If only that was important. RIP.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The cloud will never eliminate local hardware, but will lower the barrier of entry for gaming, which is always good. Cloud gaming being the only way to game would be lame as hell.
If companies wanted to lower the barrier of entry they could just offer cheap entry level hardware. I don't see them doing that.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
It won't make them obsolete. There will always be the ethusiast gamer who wants to have the best quality possible, but the mass market just needs a good enough experience. They will trade image quality for the convenience the cloud will offer.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well said. some people are too quick to write off traditional hardware for games. cloud is going to continue expanding, but it's still a long way off from becoming the normal way for consuming video games.

Oct 26, 2017
Cloud gaming has so many Asterisks attached to its viability, and most of them have nothing to do with the company offering the streaming service. And most of it can't be solved with smarter algorythms or by deploying more servers.

It will however become a huge part of their revenue stream, that's for sure.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Not even MS is going streaming at launch next gen.

Phil Spencer said cloud streaming will be a key point of their conference this year at E3 (which to me suggests the service is coming soon).

He also said it will take time to get perfect and becoming mainstream, but that doesn't mean they are going to wait, the opposite could be true: releasing the service earlier and listening the feedbacks from the community in order to improve it.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yes..i mean..the lack of reasonable bandwidth access and latency concerns are not going to be solve anytime soon.

ESPECIALLY latency. I can give you a 10gbps connection but all the bandwidth in the world cannot help if the client needs to takes like 20 routing hops across the globe to reach a designated server.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
The cloud is a technology that's at least a decade away from truly replacing consoles, the big switch might happen at earliest in the 10th console generation. But if half of the world still has data caps by then and low speeds we'll still get hardware boxes as an option. Sony especially makes a lot of money from smaller and emerging markets where Nintendo and MS haven't penetrated. Usually it's these places lagging behind technologically but even in the US the issue with data caps/net neutrality remain.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yup. Still can't believe some people think it's happening soon though. At least 10 years before streaming games becomes the norm.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It won't make them obsolete. There will always be the ethusiast gamer who wants to have the best quality possible, but the mass market just needs a good enough experience. They will trade image quality for the convenience the cloud will offer.
Exactly.

Not even MS is going streaming at launch next gen.
We don't know that as a fact yet. We just know public trials are this year.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
It'll be neatly integrated into all thier clients as an option, but they have their Azure talent helping out so I'm expecting big things from them.

Phil Spencer said cloud streaming will be a key point of their conference this year at E3 (which to me suggests the service is coming soon).

He also said it will take time to get perfect and becoming mainstream, but that doesn't mean they are going to wait, the opposite could be true: releasing the service earlier and listening the feedbacks from the community in order to improve it.

But the streaming console will arrive later, not at launch

2 gens from now it will become more prevalent

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain

LOL 30 years ?
Well before that bro !
Do you know where we were 30 years ago ? 1989, the NES era, I think Gaming has evolve a bit... in 30 years, streaming will be as mainstream as the D pad today...

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC

If only Sony had the foresight to see the same tepid response to VR before diving in. Some 3 million units sold over 90 million console users.

Probably should have waited another 30 years to launch a headset ...

And I don't think any company has said that streaming is the only means to play games or that streaming replaces local hardware. In fact, it's been the total opposite.

Seems the entire industry is on the same page regarding potential viability and adoption.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

None is going to focus on Cloud for next-gen and lol at Streaming may be the future in 30 years

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
Streaming works inside a eco system of consumer options , but has no validity as the sole consumer option , even in "30 years" it has no place owning 100% of the industry and it simply won't

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Let's see... people want to play every game in their phones as soon as possible.

In Japan normal consoles are dying really fast.

And they are improving PS Now for a reason I believe.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Would make sense they'd downplay streaming since their cloud infrastrucure is far and away the worst of the bunch.

I still hope he's right, though.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

That's why you add it to your mix of consoles as purely incremental business and targeted at a completely different customer base than your standard bread and butter customers.

Let's see what Sony do with PS Now, because I'm sure they'll be pushing it next gen.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Cloud gaming has so many Asterisks attached to its viability, and most of them have nothing to do with the company offering the streaming service. And most of it can't be solved with smarter algorythms or by deploying more servers

I'd say it's not technical problem,main problem is business model for big 3rd party publishers.If all big guys follow EA with their own streaming service,as i expect at some point to happen...things will get ugly.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
For the scenario he was entertaining, of hardware being unnecessary, he's certainly right.

But note that he did also, unprompted, acknowledge it as a risk for the hardware side of the business in the 5 year timeframe.

Those aren't contradictory statements ... he doesn't see the extreme example some commentators have floated manifesting in that timeframe - where there'd be little or no need for anyone to have hardware - but there is a slope that could take some users out of the hardware market in that time.

Of course, what's a risk for the hardware business is an opportunity for the network business. The challenge for Sony (and others) on all network services is maintaining the dollar value per user for themselves and third parties - or, if not that, to at least grow the pot overall through higher volume.

Oct 27, 2017
Did someone say streaming would take over in 5 years or something?
I was wondering the same thing. Whats the point of the article? No one specifically asked if hardware would be obsolete in five years. Just what threats to the business over the next five years. The guy made up a theory about streaming only then counters it. Multiple companies have stated time and time again that streaming will be inferior to local as far as latency goes. It's manly just a cheaper option (at least short term) and maybe in some senareos easier/covenant.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree with him. I made a post about this only a day or two ago.

I think the media and much of the community is wrong about how quickly game streaming will pick up as well. It isn't going to dent the traditional console market in any appreciable way for a very long time imo, and somewhat similar to VR, I believe initial growth will be steady but not mind blowing.

People forget we already have and have had game streaming options for a while now, but due to a number of reasons they're simply not that popular. The infrastructure, reliability and efficiency of play simply isn't there yet, and people like playing things directly off hardware for an optimum and guaranteed experience. Even having exclusives on a day one streaming service will not drastically change that, not for a very, very long time anyway.