• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Posted by Toumari
UPDATE: Following this update, users are seeing a notification about Party Safety and that voice chats in parties may be recorded. Voice chat recording for moderation is a feature that will be available on PS5 when it launches, and will enable users to record their voice chats on PS5 and submit them for moderation review. The pop up you're seeing on PS4 right now is to let you know that when you participate in a chat with a PS5 user (post-launch), they may submit those recordings from their PS5 console to SIE.
blog.playstation.com

PS4 system software update 8.00 launching today

Includes changes to Party and Messages features, new avatars, updated parental controls and more.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
This is awesome. Lot's of bandwidth but awesome. Hope more games implement stuff like this. Games like Call of Duty need it bad.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/14/ps4-system-software-update-8-00-launching-today/
UPDATE: Following this update, users are seeing a notification about Party Safety and that voice chats in parties may be recorded. Voice chat recording for moderation is a feature that will be available on PS5 when it launches, and will enable users to record their voice chats on PS5 and submit them for moderation review. The pop up you're seeing on PS4 right now is to let you know that when you participate in a chat with a PS5 user (post-launch), they may submit those recordings from their PS5 console to SIE

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

And yes, it's something Xbox has already had in place for a while now too.

EkUp9zBWoAcPFqb

Last edited:

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Ah, now it makes sense. Good feature. Xbox has been doing this for a while now.

Also, checking my PS4 settings, we still have the option to turn it off/opt out.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hopefully this leads to voice chat being filled with fewer sexist/racist/homophobic/transphobic/etc. assholes.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is a good clarification but I'm also confused. Weren't people saying that this was part of the TOS since launch? Now it's apparently a ps5 feature

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why this is positive. I don't think it's a negative either, mind you.

The ability to send voice messages or record regular voice chat could be beneficial, but this is just the ability to record party chat audio. Don't most of you guys know who you're partying up with?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a good clarification but I'm also confused. Weren't people saying that this was part of the TOS since launch? Now it's apparently a ps5 feature

Maybe they just need to re-iterate the point now that the PS5 is launching, and will presumably have more comprehensive recording or streaming features.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I don't see why this is positive. I don't think it's a negative either, mind you.

The ability to send voice messages or record regular voice chat could be beneficial, but this is just the ability to record party chat audio. Don't most of you guys know who you're partying up with?
No. Many times there are LFG groups. Like destiny raids. I've spent hours running raids with total strangers on destiny.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
That seems fine if true, but hopefully they don't take it any further
As long as the recording has to be activated by the user I don't see a problem

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I get why this can be used for good for moderation but it's also just gross on principle.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Not always. I've done raids with randoms. I used to play in COD or Max Payne specific parties (more last gen). I like that there are repercussions for being a POS in those situations instead of me just leaving. It will, over time, curb some of that behavior if it is enforced.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
lets see if sony actually acts on the toxic audio that will be sent to them

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So how does this work, are you just constantly recording, or can you hit a button that records everything from the last 60 seconds?

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
Good! I only play with friends but I won't hesitate to turn over a recording if they say anything homophobic/sexist/racist.

Reaper55

Oct 25, 2017
When games crash on PS4 it gives a nice "Report Crash" menu that lets you write a message and attach a video of the last few seconds before crash. I wonder if this might be like that, select a user in the party menu and say "Report User".

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
wait

so I can record assholes in Apex Legends who scream racist sexist shit ?????

I fucking love this if true

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
The fact that this probably wouldn't even be an issue if we already knew the PS5 OS by now.

Seriously...

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland

Aren't parties up to 100 people now? I'm sure people will join some random parties, trying to team up with other people.

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All those guys in here earlier willingly giving up their rights look very sus after this clarification. Thanks Sony.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Good stuff. Toxicity over voice chat is much harder to report than when soneone sends you a message. While toxic ppl will remain toxic, hopefully this will improve the experience in some game comunities.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
So how does this work, are you just constantly recording, or can you hit a button that records everything from the last 60 seconds?
Assuming PS5 has a Share feature that works like PS4, you always have a Share buffer of gameplay/whatever that can be recorded (ie saved persistently) if you use the Share feature. Technically it's not "recorded" as in "saved" since it's temporary storage/buffering like RAM or whatever the console uses to put the buffer in. It's being "kept" locally in case you ever want to use it.

Makes me wonder what the report form looks like, I assume they make a mention of audio being sent to Sony. If not, that seems like a good thing to mention in the form.

RGR6

Oct 6, 2020
This is a good thing. Allow users to make fair complaints. This is basically screenshotting a tweet or reporting a tweet/message etc but using audio for an audio medium. Interested
To see how it turns out

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'm conflicted. Obviously hate speech does need to be brought under control in online games. However, this does seem like a breach of privacy, and I could see a lot of players just using Discord instead.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I'm conflicted. Obviously hate speech does need to be brought under control in online games. However, this does seem like a breach of privacy, and I could see a lot of players just using Discord instead.

there's nothing stopping me from doing the same thing on discord tho? i could record my audio in a private voice session

Sony's only accessing recorded chat audio if there's a report tied to it.