• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

- The physical PS5 games that were having trouble installing before are now installing and working fine

- PS4 Physical games install and work fine

- PS5 & PS4 Digital games now work with a dead battery

- PS Plus games do not work with a dead battery

Previously Sony fixed this completely for the PS4 in September.

Although the PS5 didn't have this issue for most physical games it was still present for digital titles beyond Astro's PlayRoom. Most Physical games worked but some did not.

Currently it seems that it has been thoroughly fixed with the exception of PS+ titles, which is fair due to ownership verification issues.

Now the PS3 is only one left with having a CMOS Battery issue for digital titles.

Thank you Poldino for alerting us of this update.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
The initial outrage was because of the preservation angle, and now that is resolved.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Hey look at that. Sony fixed the thing that so many people guaranteed they wouldn't do.

The power of the internet at work here.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
As I said in the other thread, this is great news! PS5 is now completely viable for offline play for years to come, this is a huge win for preservation

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
That's pretty solid and it's obvious why PS+ games which require an active subscription don't work. Good result all round I'd say!

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I have no problem with PS+ titles being omitted. The whole premise is that they're contingent on an active membership, and you can't verify that offline.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This is good, but PS3 CBOMB is the one that really needs to be addressed, before the servers are inevitably shut down for the platform.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
You mean of the Sony consoles only right? Or did Xbox fix their many "CBOMB" issues also?
No, Xbox doesn't have a CMOS issue per se, but has other big ones (I don't know if they might have been patched, maybe so! At any case, this video came out around the same time).

www.youtube.com

The Xbox Series X has a big DRM problem | MVG

DRM or digital rights management issues are a serious problem on the Xbox Series X console. In this episode we take a closer look at each of them and how the...

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even know the PS5 ahd that issue too.By battery they mean the clock battery right?
How did they fix that on PS5? With the last update?

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see they fixed this on PS4 and PS5 relatively quickly. Seems like they considered it a much higher priority than I would have guessed.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Yes I meant Sony home consoles. Xbox has their own DRM issues.

I really like MVG but that video has too many manufactured problems and misrepresentations for my liking where he's done things in a specific order to make an error appear and makes odd claims like curated whitelists for offline titles (he'd purposefully not set the console to the home console, gone offline and then set the home console setting without connecting to the internet again. The games he showed erroring didn't have the right licence because the one they had needed to connect online. Had he gone then gone online, launched the game he would have them been able to play it offline from that point onwards. Instead he theorised that Microsoft maintain a curated white list of offline supported games, which is bonkers in my view).

The biggest issue the Xbox has is it's mandatory online connection for setup, there's currently no way to set one up offline.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope they fix the PS3. I've been expanding my PS3 collection lately because it feels like Sony has no interest in going back to that gen anytime soon and I'd hate to not even be able to play those games with or without a disc.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
Back in 2012, I had a PS3 Slim that had a bad disc drive which caused it to not only not play disc games, but also any digital game. Had to have it replaced by Sony for like $100.

Was that issue ever fixed? Is the CMOS battery part of that issue at all?

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I want to imagine they're doing this to head off a potential lawsuit.

The fact they're keeping the PS3 store alive is something. So I imagine a fix will eventually come.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Can't the CMOS stuff on PS3 be circumvented with homebrew? Ideally, they'd fix it, but if not, no reason not to homebrew mine to preserve my digital only titles at that point.