• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
anybody expecting free are crass as hell. thats just a nice thing but i never expect. HOWEVER,
I totally get anyone not being offered an upgrade path if they skip out on wanting to play miles morales.

I agree with you. It's fair play to charge for a remaster. Not full-price but something around $20.

The broader issue is you have a competitor that is providing free upgrades and also basically giving away their entire game catalogue for next to nothing.

Weird times.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
This is incorrect. If you have a standard edition of Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales (whether you bought PS4 or PS5), when you play it on PS5, there will be an in-game option to "upgrade" to the Ultimate Edition (aka, download Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered) for $20.
So then the most "optimal" purchase would be buy Miles on PS4 -> get free PS5 upgrade -> spend $20 to upgrade to Ultimate?

Insomniac Responds - Details on the Remaster

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
They are adding ray tracing to some games, doubling the frame rates, and doubling the resolution for those games for free. As of right now, Sony isn't doing anything like that for free.

Just to be clear too - this is far more than an increase in resolution/framerate and tagging surfaces for ray-tracing. We have put a significant amount of work and effort into the Remaster. From my blog on the matter:

"The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game's art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console's horsepower. You'll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You'll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We'll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller's haptic feedback. Lastly we're adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again."

Oct 27, 2017
That's disappointing.

I understand. They've done work, people should get paid for that work. Each developer / publisher has to look at the cost and benefits of these decisions.

I look forward to playing that remaster some day but I really don't want to pay £20 just to make a game i already own run better... i might still buy it.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
This is incorrect. If you have a standard edition of Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales (whether you bought PS4 or PS5), when you play it on PS5, there will be an in-game option to "upgrade" to the Ultimate Edition (aka, download Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered) for $20.

Wait...this is actually nice considering it's more than a simple PS4 to PS5 patch.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
So there is no free upgrade and the only upgrade option is miles ultimate edition? Wow.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I think it should at least be sold separately, if I'm not mistaken Insomniac said that they were looking on this, so there is hope.
Yup. It's a beefy remaster by the sound of it so I don't mind paying a nominal fee to upgrade from the ps4 version ($15-20 or less). But it's so weird for it to not be available standalone.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people surprised by this? 😐

The Remastered includes all the DLCs. They can't just offer to upgrade people with the base game to a version that includes more content than it. Probably the same reason why Control is not getting the next-gen upgrade either.
I'm not sure about Sony but decent stores on PC can absolutely grant entitlements based on ownership of other products. That's how Skyrim Special Edition handled it. The remaster was free but only if you already owned the base game and all DLC.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Did we really expect anything different when other Sony 1st/2nd party cross-gen remasters haven't been free? You didn't get a free TLOU: Remastered copy with the purchase of the ps3 game.
But in that case you had no other option since the PS3 game had to be made again on PS4.

The PS5 is using the same architecture as the PS4, so the amount of work you need to put for a remaster is not even remotely close to what Naughty Dog had to do for TLOU.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Thank you for the info. Will this be compatible with the disc version of Miles Morales?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They are not exactly in touch with for the players anymore are they. I half expected it to be packaged with the console a few months back.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The remaster does sound meaty and may very well be worth the price of admission - but with no word on BC enhancements, this news leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

Its Dead Jim

Jan 11, 2018
Ceti Alpha V
I mean, I dont get the surprise. This is Sonys thing, they love a paid remaster.

I dont see any Sony 1P game getting a next gen upgrade for free.

I also predict the GoW shown on the PS5 show reel will not be a full GoW 2 but will instead be a standalone expansion a la Miles Morales and will include a next gen remaster of the original in the Ultimate/Legendary edition in a similar vein to Spidey.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I agree with you. It's fair play to charge for a remaster. Not full-price but something around $20.

The broader issue is you have a competitor that is providing free upgrades and also basically giving away their entire game catalogue for next to nothing.

Weird times.
i think there is more incentive for them to do it because they dont have first party games ready at launch.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I am waiting for TLOU2, GOT etc enhanced versions to be sold on PS5. It is what it is.

I always expected this to be the case. People shouldn't buy games under the assumption that they are guaranteed a free upgrade to the next-gen version. It's awesome when it happens. But don't expect a corporation to hand out free things just because.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019

The Remastered includes all the DLCs. They can't just offer to upgrade people with the base game to a version that includes more content than it. Probably the same reason why Control is not getting the next-gen upgrade either.
But you absolutely can offer an upgrade if someone owns the base game + dlc. It happened "by accident" for Control.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Are there any Xbox games getting remastered for free? Games that came out more than a year ago, and had real work done, new assets etc and not just a resolution or FPS bump?

I'm honestly not sure and don't mean this sarcastically.

Gears 5 is essentially a remaster running native on Series S/X yeah. It is a more recent game and the decision making is up to Microsoft. Sony and Insomniac may be beholden to Marvel on this one.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Ah I see. Thank you for the correction.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
That would be the opposite logic

Having a save from the game with all the DLC's migrating to the base game would be problematic..not the reverse
What I meant is SIE can't just give away the DLCs just so that people with the base game can have a free PS5 upgrade. That would be a big FU to those who actually bought the season pass/DLCs separately.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Even though it's a remaster, this is still fairly disappointing. I'd thought that good will would be worth more than the $20 upgrade fee, but I guess that's not the case.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
So if someone gets their PS5 with the standard version of Miles Morales as a bundle or a gift and want to play Spider-Man remastered they have no choice but to buy a second copy of Miles Morales for £70 to get access to it? Why would you not sell it standalone?

EDIT: turns out you can upgrade to the ultimate edition in game.

Sony continuing to make me feel good about my decision to switch to Series X for next gen launch and pick up a PS5 just for exclusives in a year or two.

Last edited:

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they really don't have a reason to upgrade people for free, but it would have been a good PR move, especially within the context of their games now being more expensive.

Sony is really bleeding their audience dry.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
OOF

Jim Ryan is a cold-blooded businessman. Always has been, always will be.
Does it work in this industry though? I feel like there needs to be a bit more fluff and smoke to succeed here...

Mattrick and whoever is running Google gaming thing seems to be from the same breed... and thats not a very good company to be associated with.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, I dont get the surprise. This is Sonys thing, they love a paid remaster.

I dont see any Sony 1P game getting a next gen upgrade for free.

I also predict the GoW shown on the PS5 show reel will not be a full GoW 2 but will instead be a standalone expansion a la Miles Morales and will include a next gen remaster of the original in the Ultimate/Legendary edition in a similar vein to Spidey.
Sack boy Horizon and MM are getting free upgrades, just not the old stuff.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Just to be clear too - this is far more than an increase in resolution/framerate and tagging surfaces for ray-tracing. We have put a significant amount of work and effort into the Remaster. From my blog on the matter:

"The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game's art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console's horsepower. You'll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You'll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We'll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller's haptic feedback. Lastly we're adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again."
thanks. I do agree free upgrades should be different than something that takes more effort and cost. I understand it all must be weighed.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed but not surprised in the slightest. Hope Ghost of Tsushima doesn't follow suit.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017

It's not that hard to understand. People want to see their loyalty to the ecosystem acknowledged. People who buy every Sony exclusive feel nickel and dimed. Sony is saying, "sure you already bought this game but please buy it again because we believe you are willing to give us more money.'

As with each of these debacles the solution is simple. Just offer some sort of discount based on owning spiderman on ps4. It does not even need to be huge, just some reward for loyalty.

I don't own spiderman, and I'll tell you what, I'm glad I don't. That's not the feeling Sony should be aiming for.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
If they are going to sell separately it will be $20.
I hope so, that doesn't sound too bad.

Forza Horizon 4 is getting a free Xbox Series upgrade and that's also a 2018 game.
When the dust has settled after launch, I'm quite they will release a standalone upgrade for this at around $20. That's a far cry from what Nintendo does with their $60 last-gen ports, so while it sure as hell isn't better than MS, it could be way worse. I'm curious to see the FH4 enhancements compared to what they've done here, like I said once the dust has settled.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
You can upgrade and get the Remaster as long as you buy Miles Morales on PS4 or PS5. Is the market of people who want Spider-Man but not Miles Morales when the option for both is an additional $20 purchase that wide?

Not everyone may want Miles Morales, just like not everyone buys DLC expansions. Someone may just want the original game and it makes sense to offer that as a standalone purchase especially with all the talk of how much effort went into it. So why gate it behind Miles Morales? No matter how you slice it right now, your price of entry is $70 to play the remastered version.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
So if someone gets their PS5 with the standard version of Miles Morales as a bundle or a gift and want to play Spider-Man remastered they have no choice but to buy a second copy of Miles Morales for £70 to get access to it? Why would you not sell it standalone?

Sony continuing to make me feel good about my decision to switch to Series X for next gen launch and pick up a PS5 just for exclusives in a year or two.
They would pay 20 to upgrade to the ultimate edition of miles with the remastered included, not 70.

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
so the only way to buy the game is for 70 which if you want miles isnt to bad but for anyone that doesnt is auge price to ask

Not speaking one way or another on this decision by Sony (which I think is mostly due to the weirdness around their next gen games costing more than current), but what is the population of gamers that:

A) Owns Spider-Man PS4
B) Wants Spider-Man Remastered
C) Is uninterested in Miles Morales

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
If you already have Spidey PS4 and you don't want the upgrade you can keep playing it.
If you only want Miles on PS5 you don't have to pay for the Remaster.
If you want to own both Miles and the Remaster you can do so with the bundle or paid upgrade.

So, there are avenues for everyone to obtain the Remaster. Just not a free one. I am assuming this has a lot to do with Marvel, a notoriously cheap ass company. Maybe they just didn't want to give one of their best selling games of last gen out for free to more people. It sucks but that's the way this is going. At the very least, we have confirmation now and people can decide how they want to proceed.

I don't want a free upgrade, just the possibility to purchase the remaster standalone on PS5. I guess there is no drawback to buying MM Ultimate since it is the best deal, it just feels like a weird choice to give the customer no choice.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Can you confirm this for me please - if I were to buy standalone Miles PS5 at launch and wanted the Remaster later, can I get that paid upgrade as well? Or should I just go ahead and get Ultimate Edition now.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
They worked for the PS5 version but hey, let's just give it to people for free even tho you spend time for it. It's not just 4k/60fps.

With that being said, curious to see the comparison. This should clarify why it's not free, or why it should have been lol.