• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
That's OK. It was kinda boring anyway. Still would be nice to offer free upgrades on first party titles.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are there any Xbox games getting remastered for free? Games that came out more than a year ago, and had real work done, new assets etc and not just a resolution or FPS bump?

I'm honestly not sure and don't mean this sarcastically.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
The only issue here is that there is no way to upgrade your PS4 version. All the people asking for a free upgrade are just entitled.

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks, sounds like you can upgrade your digital version of Miles Morales. I might wait to upgrade to the ultimate edition if I don't want to play Spider-Man Remastered right away.

Weird way to do it.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people surprised by this? 😐

The Remastered includes all the DLCs. They can't just offer to upgrade people with the base game to a version that includes more content than it. Probably the same reason why Control is not getting the next-gen upgrade either.
Don't waste your time, some people simply have entitlement issues.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
anybody expecting free are crass as hell. thats just a nice thing but i never expect. HOWEVER,
I totally get anyone not being offered an upgrade path if they skip out on wanting to play miles morales.

It sounds like the upgrade path is buying miles Morales and you have a chance to pay to get remastered if you play on PS5. Which looks like its 20 dollars. based on the ultimate price on PS5.

It doesnt really impact me in terms of play since ive yet to play spiderman(other than paying like 15 bucks for the game) which is annoying as hell.

I def didnt buy GoT because i wanted to wait to see what they do with it. So def a good option for me.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people surprised by this? 😐

The Remastered includes all the DLCs. They can't just offer to upgrade people with the base game to a version that includes more content than it. Probably the same reason why Control is not getting the next-gen upgrade either.
That would be the opposite logic

Having a save from the game with all the DLC's migrating to the base game would be problematic..not the reverse

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I don't see why people have an issue with this. The game is two years old. That's like wanting EA to upgrade FIFA 19 for free.

If you buy Miles Morales Ultimate on PS4 it is upgraded for free right? So what's the issue?

Spiderman is a two year old game, you can still play the game on PS5 and it will run better thanks to Game Boost.

Forza Horizon 4 is getting a free Xbox Series upgrade and that's also a 2018 game.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
How much to play just base spider man remaster

if it's only with the 70 dollar deluxe version that is some straight up ruthless shit

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this standard? I'm struggling to think of a remaster that was ever given out for free.
Because a few publisher offer free updates everyone is expecting not that everything else is free as well.

It would be nice to have at least a 10€ Upgrade pathe or something. But it is what it is and no one promised us free Upgrades for our PS4 games. There is still backwards compatibility though.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Did we really expect anything different when other Sony 1st/2nd party cross-gen remasters haven't been free? You didn't get a free TLOU: Remastered copy with the purchase of the ps3 game.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this standard? I'm struggling to think of a remaster that was ever given out for free.

Mafia 2 and 3.

On PC, if you had 2, you got 2 DE for free. If you had 3 it was upgraded to the DE too (this happened on PSN as well - they gave 3 free on PS+ and made the DLC all free).

Fairly sure the Bioshock remasters were given for free on Steam once the Bioshock Collection came.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very happy I didn't pick up the GotY in a recent sale. Will buy the Ultimate Edition when I get a PS5. Disappointing, though.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Not even stand alone huh? I would gladly buy a stand alone version of remaster.

Lookes like im waiting for a sale on ultimate edition.

wotta

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 is 1 year old and Witcher 3 is 5 years old, both getting free upgrades. Stop excusing this kind of greed.

What kind of upgrades tho? The console just running them better or actual upgrades?

I do think it is an odd decision, but we can still play the game we purchased.

It does feel like a decision that will be overturned tho. Sony is odd at the moment.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
None of those games are remasters, are they? Those are just the same game run on a better machine.

Maybe people are confused about Spider-man? It's an actual remaster, like TLOU PS4. It's not just a port from PS4 to PS5, it has re-built assets and so on.
They are adding ray tracing to some games, doubling the frame rates, and doubling the resolution for those games for free. As of right now, Sony isn't doing anything like that for free.

Further elaborating from Insomniac

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Buy PS4 version of Miles, get PS5 version of Miles but no option to get Spider-Man at all.
Buy PS5 version of Miles, only get PS5 version of Spider-Man with Ultimate Edition.

Really well done Sony, way to charge the absolute most while making it as confusing as possible.

This is incorrect. If you have a standard edition of Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales (whether you bought PS4 or PS5), when you play it on PS5, there will be an in-game option to "upgrade" to the Ultimate Edition (aka, download Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered) for $20.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Not that I planned on playing it again, but they could've used some good will in light of recent events. Hopefully they reverse course on this.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
If they were gonna be stingy, I could see an upgrade path for people who just owned the base PS4 game that gave people the definitive edition for PS5 which comes with DLC.

But if folks own the base PS4 version + DLC or the GOTY edition, I think they should be allowed to get the Definitive edition for free.

Right now, the ultimate MM edition comes with MM + Definitive Edition. I think that bundle is fine for folks who own the base PS4 version.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think 20 bucks is that much to pay for a fully remastered Spiderman with all the expansions when the expansions are 20 on their own. They don't work for free. And I doubt it was a weeks work just turning settings up as Miles looks way way better then Spiderman PS4 .

If the PS4 version doesn't have a simple frame rate or Res upgrade though that's really shit.

But it's not really $20 since it's gated behind a $70 purchase and there's no way to buy it as a standalone. I have no issue if they want to charge money for the remaster, but at least offer it as a standalone purchase. Heck, make it $30 and you save $10 by buying the bundle if they wanted to give incentive to buy the bundle over the standalone.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
That fake Insomniac Twitter account a few days back really got my hopes up.

I digress, but I was similarly frustrated over the last transition when there was no upgrade path for The Last of Us - I don't even demand a free upgrade; I can appreciate a compromise of a modest paid upgrade to support the devs for the additional work if my original purchase doesn't cover the publisher's new project cost. But, hey, at least there's BC this upcoming gen, so it doesn't sting as much.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
The most baffling part is that the Remaster is not even released as a standalone purchase. What is the idea behind that?

If you already have Spidey PS4 and you don't want the upgrade you can keep playing it.
If you only want Miles on PS5 you don't have to pay for the Remaster.
If you want to own both Miles and the Remaster you can do so with the bundle or paid upgrade.

So, there are avenues for everyone to obtain the Remaster. Just not a free one. I am assuming this has a lot to do with Marvel, a notoriously cheap ass company. Maybe they just didn't want to give one of their best selling games of last gen out for free to more people. It sucks but that's the way this is going. At the very least, we have confirmation now and people can decide how they want to proceed.

xenonium

Apr 3, 2020

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Don't waste your time, some people simply have entitlement issues.

Yes it's entitled to think that there should be at the very minimum an upgrade path to get Spider-Man Remastered if you bought the PS4 version of Miles. This whole thing was handled extremely poorly.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
dumb decision. I mean I have no desire to go and replay Spider-Man on PS5 anyways but come on this would have been such an easy win and they're just like nah we'll take this L instead.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Already have the Ultimate Edition preordered and wasn't really expecting a free upgrade to be honest.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
well this fucking sucks, spent like 15 recently to get the DLC, which i havent touched yet, so that was a fucking waste of money

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, just put the updated graphics in the DLC store for $15 and everyone's happy.

Jan 29, 2018
People seem to forget about the last of us remastered.... I'll happily pay if the differences are substantial.

That was seven years ago and the expectations have changed a lot. There was no PS3 backwards compatibility on PS4, so no expectation that you could just put your existing copy in and have it work or be upgraded. Plus now Playstation's direct competitor is running with "Smart Delivery" as a marketing bullet point.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get why they're doing it this way, but in this climate they'd genuinely probably get a better reception if they didn't remaster the game at all.

Yeah this should have been done in 2021, when more details about backwards compatibility were revealed because Spider-Man is already a great looking game, i can already run as is with boost mode stuff. And if this is a step up then i understand why they would have to charge for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
But it's not really $20 since it's gated behind a $70 purchase and there's no way to buy it as a standalone. I have no issue if they want to charge money for the remaster, but at least offer it as a standalone purchase. Heck, make it $30 and you save $10 by buying the bundle if they wanted to give incentive to buy the bundle over the standalone.

You can upgrade and get the Remaster as long as you buy Miles Morales on PS4 or PS5. Is the market of people who want Spider-Man but not Miles Morales when the option for both is an additional $20 purchase that wide?