• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
*In relation to contents of Sony's IR events last year

Yesterday, April 17, 2020, Sony published an IR Schedule for the Fiscal Year Ending March 31, 2021. Thus we have dates for some (IR) events within calendar year 2020 that may provide new information on PlayStation 5.

• FY2019 Earnings Announcement | May 13, 2020
  • Corporate Strategy Meeting | May 19, 2020
  • FY2020 Q1 Earnings Announcement | August 4, 2020
  • ESG & Technology Briefing | September 10, 2020
  • FY2020 Q2 Earnings Announcement | October 28, 2020

The Sony IR Day will not be held this year. The Sony IR Day 2019 was held May 21 last year and featured a decent amount of information on PS5 (then referred to as "next gen) in the Game & Network Services Segment presentation slides. The 2019 Corporate Strategy Meeting featured information on the future direction of PlayStation ( using two keywords: immersive and seamless) as well, but to a slightly lesser extent. You can view the presentation slides with speech script at https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/strategy/pdf/2019/speech_E.pdf.

The FY 2019 Earnings Announcement, which will featured a live webcast at 16:00 (JST), may feature some remarks on PlayStation 5. The FY2019 Q3 Earnings Announcement on February 4, 2020 did. But for more substantial new details on PS5, I would look at the Corporate Strategy Meeting. Mainly because of the absence of the IR Day this year. The Sony IR Day 2019 featured the following slide:

sony_ir19_slidencki0.png

With no IR Day 2020, I can think of no better venue than the Corporate Strategy Meeting to present an updated version of this. Regardless, the Corporate Strategy Meeting is something I'd mark in the calendar for PS5 news/updates, whatever such may be.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Seems like a weird place to do reveals like games, though. At most, maybe they'll show off the actual system? Maybe the release date & price tag if we're lucky.

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine it being more about product strategy and financials than games and reveals - but I'd have no problem with being proven wrong on that.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I'd think they'd reveal stuff before the meeting so they'd have something to talk about? That's just me, though.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'd imagine this means we are getting more major information before the strategy meeting, not at the meeting,

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
May 19th is an important date, but May 13th is equally important.

That date will be when they have to officially acknowledge/reveal what are their shipment estimates and anticipated revenue/P&L for the PS5's impact on their gaming business.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
this is where they announce the delay until after the fiscal year and then their stocks drop

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Considering the state of the world I don't think this would be the most surprising outcome considering they're already talking about decreased production in the PS5's launch year.

Country Rollout.... eww not this tier rollout system again.

here we go with this country rollout shit again...RIP tier 2 and below countries

This slide was shared before the COVID-19 crisis. It's a choice of words to signify that they haven't revealed rollout plans of any form, and the reality is this. There will be countries that will not get them day one, even if a vast majority of countries gets it at day one. Also, the quote from the Bloomberg article said this:

Suppliers have started delivering components to PS5 assemblers, who are scheduled to begin mass-producing the product by June. Sony's PlayStation chief Jim Ryan has stressed that the machine's launch should be simultaneous around the globe, according to people in the company's supply chain.

Last edited:

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aren't we reading a lot into that country roll out? Also that slide has been floating around since last year. The original and still stated goal is to do a global launch. And by global I doubt they mean launch in every single sovereign country but most of the major territories. Obviously that may change due to a pandemic but to be upset about an uncontrollable reality is odd to say the least.

Oct 26, 2017
If they won't be able to make enough consoles for a WW launch id expect a delay in some countries but NA/EU and Japan will have PS5 units day and date.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
If they won't be able to make enough consoles for a WW launch id expect a delay in some countries but NA/EU and Japan will have PS5 units day and date.

I truly think Japan is not as big to Sony anymore. The PS4 launched later there and their sales have been anemic even with pretty much every big third party supporting the system.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Aren't we reading a lot into that country roll out? Also that slide has been floating around since last year. The original and still stated goal is to do a global launch. And by global I doubt they mean launch in every single sovereign country but most of the major territories. Obviously that may change due to a pandemic but to be upset about an uncontrollable reality is odd to say the least.

PS4 for example, also was also rolled out by stages.
South Korea was December.
India was January.
Japan was February.

Granted, for most of ERA, this isn't really something noted given the smaller Asian population here.

RockGun90

Jul 28, 2018
I for one can't wait for this blatant business event to happen and for gamers to scream "WHY NOO BLOODBORNE 3??!!"

Also,
MV5BNWRkNDY5NDItNjBiZi00NDk1LTgxYTMtZTUwYmYzNWYxMTFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTA0NzE2MzA@._V1_.jpg

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I truly think Japan is not as big to Sony anymore. The PS4 launched later there and their sales have been anemic even with pretty much every big third party supporting the system.

www.resetera.com

Jim Ryan on PS4 Japanese Launch Window: "... these days I do not think that was a good idea."

I think this deserves its own topic, so I'm splitting it off from the interview being discussed in this thread. I'd agree that it was a poor decision to treat their second largest market in this manner, especially with the resurgence of Japanese games this gen. Hindsight and all, but they...

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
www.resetera.com

Jim Ryan on PS4 Japanese Launch Window: "... these days I do not think that was a good idea."

I think this deserves its own topic, so I'm splitting it off from the interview being discussed in this thread. I'd agree that it was a poor decision to treat their second largest market in this manner, especially with the resurgence of Japanese games this gen. Hindsight and all, but they...

Fair enough, I stand corrected from the horse's mouth.

I stand by what I said though, their sales have been bad there.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
We can expect PS5 reveal before May 19 then they can clarify their strategy during their corporate meeting. I think we might see the reveal the first or second week of May.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
This isn't anything to do with PS5 in terms of public info, right?

Hmm...

So here's the thing.
Given that PS5 is tentatively launching in Holiday 2020, or even if it's delayed, will still fall before April 2021 - probably. In other words, Sony has a fiscal responsibility to investors to share a few key details:

1. Their revenue/profit loss forecast for the next fiscal year
2. The expected shipment of PS5 dating till March 2021
3. Short-to-medium term strategy for SIE gaming division factoring

They could still do (1) and (2) without sharing other necessary public information, and technically they could justify not being very detailed about (3) by saying they need to keep some stuff secret until they can publicly announce them, but ideally the best way would be to get out upfront of this strategy event with a public event first so that they can factor in their own story into the context of their business plans.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
aah the country roulette
for the love of god be there for christmas i've already promised it to my nephew, i don't want to go to the mob to buy it

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Well at least we will know for sure if the console will come out this year or not.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm...

So here's the thing.
Given that PS5 is tentatively launching in Holiday 2020, or even if it's delayed, will still fall before April 2021 - probably. In other words, Sony has a fiscal responsibility to investors to share a few key details:

1. Their revenue/profit loss forecast for the next fiscal year
2. The expected shipment of PS5 dating till March 2021
3. Short-to-medium term strategy for SIE gaming division factoring

They could still do (1) and (2) without sharing other necessary public information, and technically they could justify not being very detailed about (3) by saying they need to keep some stuff secret until they can publicly announce them, but ideally the best way would be to get out upfront of this strategy event with a public event first so that they can factor in their own story into the context of their business plans.

I agree but we know how these things go lol Forums and gaming news sites will hype this up despite knowing it's an internal Sony meeting and not a PS5 event.

I'm expecting people to asking for a stream link.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think it's more likely the PS5 will be revealed before the investor day than at it. If anything we could get some details on sales projections. But price, console design, and games will be shown at separate events. These meetings are more for investors than they are consumers.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I think it's more likely the PS5 will be revealed before the investor day than at it. If anything we could get some details on sales projections. But price, console design, and games will be shown at separate events. These meetings are more for investors than they are consumers.
I could see that. Reveal it before and say "just look at the social media engagement" as a high note for shareholders

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
I feel like they have nothing to show at this stage also seems like they are behind the schedule. The communication is completely missing.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Bla bla bla bad communication
meanwhile, they showed the logo (LOOOL) and pics of the controller and are the most liked gaming stuff ever.
poor sony, they need to learn with the experts on Era

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they have nothing to show at this stage also seems like they are behind the schedule. The communication is completely missing.
Well they did say that covid screwed their schedule of revealing the PS5 , we should have the reveal in May.

Devs are going to start announcing and revealing next gen games in June, the console needs to be shown before then.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Seems like a weird place to do reveals like games, though. At most, maybe they'll show off the actual system? Maybe the release date & price tag if we're lucky.
They'll probably just talk about the overall direction of PlayStation for next-gen. No games. Either the games will have already been announced or will not have been announced yet.