• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Nintendo actually is stepping back from doing it if we judge the changes in content release on Switch vs WiiU

also, it will be incredible terrible for the industry if each platform holder decides to ignore ESRB and enforce their own criteria about do and do nots.
How is it terrible? It's their platform and they can decide what content they want on it. Cracking down on sexualized underage content isn't exactly discussion worthy, is it?

Furthermore the ESRB is just a tool of the industry. They'll do the bare minimum to not be regulated by the US government, so no issue will be solved that way. It's an extension of the games industry and will act as such by doing nothing.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Nintendo actually is stepping back from doing it if we judge the changes in content release on Switch vs WiiU

also, it will be incredible terrible for the industry if each platform holder decides to ignore ESRB and enforce their own criteria about do and do nots.
Not just the ESRB board, people are forgetting that JP devs still need to go through Sony's curating process even if approved by the Cero board. And they are consider one of the strictest when compared to the other countries rating boards.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Why are some people still bringing up the Trish DMC5 scene when

1. It got removed a week later meaning it was never in violation of Sony's policies
  2. The game still covers Lady with a beam of light on ALL platforms and ALL regions when she reveals herself to Nico
  3. Was clearly at the discretion of Capcom instead of Sony
?

Like if you genuinely think Sony is gonna start cracking down on AAA games because of them going after pedo shit and then go on to cite DMC5 as an example then you've already lost the argument

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Adding big boobs doesn't remove many of the child-like features and make this shit ok. The intent of the artist/creators is pretty clear.

I mean I, at least, remember what people looked like in high school and I can say with confidence that it's a transparent as hell argument.
Or to put it the way the 8chan folks in the THQNordic AMA did, "where the big-titty lolis at"

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell

1. It got removed a week later
  2. The game still covers Lady with a beam of light on ALL platforms and ALL regions when she reveals herself to Nico
?

Like if you genuinely think Sony is gonna start cracking down on AAA games because of them going after pedo shit and then go on to cite DMC5 as an example then you've already lost the argument

I understand Capcom did that precisely because Sony's guidelines are vague at best. No one's going to argue against going after borderline illegal content. Not explaining to developers what they mean by that... is a problem.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grown adults should be allowed to buy any content thats legal which these games are.

Robul Hoque, 39, is believed to be the first in the UK hauled before court over his collection of Japanese Manga or Anime-style images alone.

He admitted 10 counts of possessing prohibited images of children at Teesside Crown Court.

His barrister Richard Bennett said: "These are not what would be termed as paedophilic images. These are cartoons."

And Mr Bennett revealed that such banned images were freely available on legitimate sites.

He said: "This case should serve as a warning to every Manga and Anime fan to be careful. It seems there are many thousands of people in this country, if they are less then careful, who may find themselves in that position too."

Police found the images when they seized Hoque's computer from his home on June 13, 2012, said prosecutor Harry Hadfield. He said officers found 288 still and 99 moving images, but none were of real people.

They were classified as prohibited images as they depicted young girls, some in school uniforms, some exposing themselves or taking part in sexual activity.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/anime-fan-convicted-over-illegal-7958896

A provocative anime game for the PlayStation 4 games console has been blocked by Sony from appearing in the UK and US following accusations it promotes the sexualisation of children.

Omega Labyrinth Z was due to be launched in the UK but has been fiercely criticised by the Video Standards Council (VSC) who refused to issue a certificate for the game earlier this year.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/playstation-blocks-launch-adult-anime-12792900

Yeah, well, places are starting to look into content that is sexualizing children, animated or not.

Given that the average age of poster in this topic is probably mid 20's, and some individuals will probably be into their 30's, these topics always bring out the creep factor. It's been this way since NeoGAF and all the historic topics you can go back and look at and see people frothing at the mouth to defend and handwave sexualizing children.

This industry needs a cleanup and if any of you are desperate to watch young girls being spanked/slapped and/or talking about being harassed, sort yourself out. After that hentai topic, it's clear many creeps are in plain sight on this forum or in hiding until they decide to post something publicly.

Oct 27, 2017

1. It got removed a week later meaning it was never in violation of Sony's policies
?

Very well said.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
let me guide you on that.

Dev A is making a game, game has V W X Y Z parts in it. he wants to release his game on S N and M consoles... all normal and dandy.

now we get into the fun parts. (hypothetically) now S N and M not only require ERSB rating, but they gotta conduct their own extra check on the near final product. Dev A gets ERSB approval but:

S dont like W on the game
M dont like Y Z but things W is great
N dont like X, luke warms about W, loves Z

each reaches back to Dev A and tell em that their game cant release on their respective platform, they (A) need to remove what they dont like.

so now Dev A, has a game near completetion that needs to either
1) make a different version for each platform
2) single out which platforms wont get hte game cause they dont want to remove the parts
3) take all parts S M N didnt like, remove all so they can ship 1 same copy to all

to further explain why this is bad for the developers
1) more dev time and money spent.
2) lower the potential buyers pool
3) out of V W X Y Z parts, they have to remover W X Y Z leaving a bare bones games with only V.

one of the reason ERSB was created on 1st place was to avoid this type of kerfuffle. 1 body with defined guidelines working as an standard to follow. if everyone nows decided to go back to be their judges. well, I just explained why that will be bad.

It got removed a week later meaning it was never in violation of Sony's policies
we dont know by the letter what sony policies are, it could also be they and capcom saw the backslash and decided to step back, cause DMC V is not some niche VN that even if censored will fly under the radar or almost everyone

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Oh ok

tenor.gif
TIL a physically impossible act of schlocky horror is comparable to sexual exploitation of minors.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
It got removed a week later meaning it was never in violation of Sony's policies
Cause this didn't happen. Trish was censored with a patch day 1 only on PS4 in the West, March 8th. The Trish censorship was removed in North America only with the bloody palace update, April 1st. Trish is still censored on European PS4s.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, where is the confirmation that this policy exclusively applies to underage characters, as stated in the edited thread title? The only thing I see is this quote:
Sony officials said executives at the company have grown concerned that its global reputation could take a hit from sexually explicit content sold only in a few markets. One of their biggest concerns is software sold in the company's home market of Japan, which traditionally has had more tolerance for near-nudity and images of young women who might appear underage.
This isn't providing concrete details about Sony's policy, it's saying Sony is vaguely concerned about games from Japan, a country "which traditionally has had more tolerance for near-nudity and images of young women who might appear underage." The thread title is a very generous reading of this quote.

As far as I can see, Sony doesn't actually have any clear-cut rules about what they're going to object to, which is a big problem. And the way they're apparently forcing Japanese developers to submit to an English-only review process is pretty whack.

It's a justifiable idea, but they're implementing it quite poorly. If Sony is going to try to do the ESRB's job, they need to do the job at least as well.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
where is the confirmation that this policy exclusively applies to underage characters
Is not. but cause is a policy that controls something many on ERA dont like. they are ok with it being vague and broad.

Now, where's your source that it's Sony Europe are the ones disallowing the patch? This is a Capcom issue.
are you really sticking to that this is somehow the brain child of Capcom? god.. so this is how people see me when I defend Nintendo policies?

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Is not. but cause is a policy that controls something many on ERA dont like. they are ok with it being vague and broad.

are you really sticking to that this is somehow the brain child of Capcom? god.. so this is how people see me when I defend Nintendo policies?

Is this your way of not having any proof other than your ass?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Now, where's your source that it's Sony Europe are the ones disallowing the patch? This is a Capcom issue.
Any yet Xbox and Steam never had Trish censored. So only the platform with an active censorship policy, whose guidelines are kept purposefully vague, has Trish censored. Nope can't be the platform holder doing censorship, must be Capcom only censoring PS4 cause they figure Xbox players don't care.

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Sony officials said executives at the company have grown concerned that its global reputation could take a hit from sexually explicit content sold only in a few markets. One of their biggest concerns is software sold in the company's home market of Japan, which traditionally has had more tolerance for near-nudity and images of young women who might appear underage.

I'm fine with them censoring that, of course. But the way it's worded tells me this isn't the only type of stuff they will be censoring. They clearly state "One of their biggest concerns" which tells me that stuff that potentially isn't underage will also get censored.

They need to be clear on what is allowed and what isn't because they're clearly not communicating it properly to Devs.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Is this your way of not having any proof other than your ass?
welcome to Schrodinger censorship, where we both are equal right and wrong until we get a definitive answer from Capcom and Sony.
difference is I have more arguments on my side about this being something on Sony part than you on this being something by Capcom emselves.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Any yet Xbox and Steam never had Trish censored. So only the platform with an active censorship policy, whose guidelines are kept purposefully vague, has Trish censored. Nope can't be the platform holder doing censorship, must be Capcom only censoring PS4 cause they figure Xbox players don't care.

No source or proof just conjecture. Got ya.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
This is fantastic. Get that "she's a 1000 year old dragon that looks like a child" the fuck outa here.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/anime-fan-convicted-over-illegal-7958896

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/playstation-blocks-launch-adult-anime-12792900

Yeah, well, places are starting to look into content that is sexualizing children, animated or not.

Given that the average age of poster in this topic is probably mid 20's, and some individuals will probably be into their 30's, these topics always bring out the creep factor. It's been this way since NeoGAF and all the historic topics you can go back and look at and see people frothing at the mouth to defend and handwave sexualizing children.

This industry needs a cleanup and if any of you are desperate to watch young girls being spanked/slapped and/or talking about being harassed, sort yourself out. After that hentai topic, it's clear many creeps are in plain sight on this forum or in hiding until they decide to post something publicly.

Does this mean that having a stock official Nintendo-licensed image of Nowi from Fire Emblem: Awakening saved on your computer, the infamous scantily clad 1000 year old dragon loli, could get you put in prison for pedophilia?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with censoring or removing underage sexualism but if it's a rated M game with adult characters I don't really see what the problem is.
This is me.

And to those saying the old GoW games would not pass certification nowadays you're not reading this correctly. Sony is cracking on depictions of sexualized girls who look underage. Nothing sexual in past GoWs involved anything that resembled underage women.

Now as to why Sony had Capcom censor the buttcrack of a very much adult woman on their M rated DMCV that wasn't censored in any other version is complete bullshit. But that at least was rectified with a patch so, yey?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
we dont have a guideline its all on base to base case. so withing hte same real of possible as "it was a mistake" its possible "Capcom/ Sony saw the backslash and step back"

not sure about you, but I dont go around 90% of what games and movies do in regard sex or violence.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

In the absence of evidence either way, I don't think it makes sense to assume one way and base your argument on it.

As for western AAA games getting a pass, please do point out western AAA games that sexualize underage girls to the extent that Japanese media does.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I'm asking for proof that it's sony that's not allowing the patch in Europe. What were you talking about here?
Please explain why Xbox had Trish uncensored in europe since the first patch. Also explain Steam.

This is related to Sony, it's common sense. Only one platform had Trish censored, and that platform has a censorship policy.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
It's angering the gamer gate people so it must be a great idea. Half naked anime girls is hard to explain to my girlfriend and I'd rather not have to deal with that in games I like.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Please explain why Xbox had Trish uncensored in europe since the first patch. Also explain Steam.

This is related to Sony, it's common sense. Only one platform had Trish censored, and that platform has a censorship policy.

Sony allowed the patch in America why would they stop it in Europe? Like I said, it's a Capcom issue.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
as long as its just loli's that's fine. Dont go overboard with censorship of content outside of that. Let the users decide what their eyes can see

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
If it truly is about eliminating games like Monster Monpiece then they shouldnt be saying theyre doing this for the sake of younger demographics. The violence is incredibly disgusting in LoU2.

The more apt image comparison would be Yumi being sexualized vs Ellie executing someone.

Fuck if I'm not sick of your transparent whataboutisms and derails:
I gotta say the core values meme could not have come at a better time. Especially when these companies have no issue promoting the most violent gross shit like Last of Us 2 and Mortal Kombat 11. I rarely complain about game violence but here we are.

One thing is true, at least. You indeed "rarely" complain (or, frankly, seem to care at all) about game violence. Specifically, it's only ever in the context of derailing sexualization discussion.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
"Screw Sony" very few people care about this "censor" then you like to believe. All this for a faux outrage over 2 seconds... lol.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
you are right, capcom emselves decide to screw sony and censor the Ps4 version. what a brilliant move.
You know unintended differences can remain in multiplatform games. Maybe the Xbox version was supposed to have similar "censorship" but for whatever reason it didn't show up. Then digital tiddy fans got up in arms about not getting to have their few second glimpse at 3d bewbs and Capcom backpedaled on intended "censorship" instead.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
You know unintended differences can remain in multiplatform games. Maybe the Xbox version was supposed to have similar "censorship" but for whatever reason it didn't show up. Then digital tiddy fans got up in arms about not getting to have their few second glimpse at 3d bewbs and Capcom backpedaled on intended "censorship" instead.
except that part that that PS4 censorship WAS ADDED after release. so not likely a "Oops"

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Good on Sony doing this, and I'm glad the guidelines are vague so these shitty devs can't find loopholes and ways around the censorship.