• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-cracks-down-on-sexually-explicit-content-in-games-11555427944

TOKYO -- Sony Corp. is cracking down on sexual content in PlayStation 4 videogames globally, reflecting concerns in the U.S. about the depiction of women in games but irritating some software developers.

Sony's new in-house standards that limit sexually explicit content distinguish it from other game-hardware makers that allow a greater amount of content as long as the software carries a rating from a national industry body.

A Sony spokeswoman confirmed the company has established its own guidelines "so that creators can offer well- balanced content on the platform" and gaming "does not inhibit the sound growth and development" of young people. She declined to say when these guidelines were introduced or to discuss them in detail.

Some additional excerpts from the article:
Sony officials said executives at the company have grown concerned that its global reputation could take a hit from sexually explicit content sold only in a few markets. One of their biggest concerns is software sold in the company's home market of Japan, which traditionally has had more tolerance for near-nudity and images of young women who might appear underage.
Two factors last year combined to turn that unease into action, these Sony officials say. One was the rise of the #MeToo movement in the U.S., which pointed to the dangers of being associated with content that some might see as demeaning to women. The second was the emergence of channels on sites like YouTube and Amazon Inc.'s Twitch where gamers play in front of a camera and are watched by fans online. That means games meeting Japan's laxer standards can get world-wide exposure.
In general, any company making a game for a platform like the PlayStation 4, Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox or Nintendo Co.'s Switch signs a contract with the platform maker governing royalties and other items. That gives the platform maker the ability to block games it doesn't like.

Nintendo said it doesn't regulate sexual content beyond requiring game makers to obtain a rating from national bodies. It said its game systems allow parents to restrict content based on the rating. Microsoft declined to comment.
"You don't know what they will say until you complete the work and submit it for review," said the chief executive of a small game developer in Japan. "And if they are not happy, even if they allowed the same degree of sexuality a few days before, we need to take it back and ask our staff to make adjustments. That's very costly."

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
and gaming "does not inhibit the sound growth and development" of young people
If you don't want your kids playing Big Tiddy Ninja Simulator 2019, then that's really something that has to do with the parenting and not what kind of content a platform is hosting.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this different than was already known or is this just confirmation of it?

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine the horror of a youth in development seeing a nipple during a fatality in MK.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And the first post is a meme mocking autistic people. This thread is off to a great start.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't want your kids playing Big Tiddy Ninja Simulator 2019, then that's really something that has to do with the parenting and not what kind of content a platform is hosting.

That's just assigning blame. Parents fail all the time. Doesn't mean for instance, we should allow MTX that focus on children in games. If you want things to be improved, sometimes you have to move beyond assigning fault.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The less loli shit the better. I just hope this doesn't bleed into stupid stuff like the Trish lens flare but they removed it so that's good.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Well, that's pretty big that WSJ is coming out with an article on that topic.
gaming "does not inhibit the sound growth and development" of young people.
Really for the children uh (cf the Fortnite excuse before their limited crossplay implementation).
She declined to say when these guidelines were introduced or to discuss them in detail.
They declined to detail those guidelines to developers too.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Kiiinda dumb. No idea why you guys are celebrating it.
8ad7e8b0-a9bf-480a-b083-d9f1fbdf0455-jpeg.162395

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I am not a huge fan of censoring, but if they are putting the focus on this anime pedo like bullshit that pops into games, good. Get that crap out of here. If it's a standard piece of adult, mature content, then no, don't do that.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like there are already enough guidances and information to achieve what Sony are proclaiming is their aim without their input in the ways they have already affected things but maybe I'm mistaken and this is good for games. I doubt it though.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering there are absolutely no details on what kind of material they deem sexually explicit, it's hard to give an opinion one way or the other.

But if it's in relation to creepy loli animu girls. Then go right ahead.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
It just cracks me up everytime that PS4 can have Last of Us 2 and Mortal Kombat 11.

But Senran Kagura, which has a lower rating and none of the violence of those games, we need to ban that. And people on this forum champion it.

What will ya'll do when Cham Cham gets into Samsho?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I got a 1 day ban for mentioning this. Even though I was stating that other people were literally using it.

It's some stupid ass meme about a frog that some people have co-opted to make fun of people with autism. It's shit and people using it are shit.

It just cracks me up everytime that PS4 can have Last of Us 2 and Mortal Kombat 11.

But Senran Kagura, which has a lower rating and none of the violence of those games, we need to ban that. And people on this forum champion it.

Does Senran Kagura sexualize underage people?

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with censoring or removing underage sexualism but if it's a rated M game with adult characters I don't really see what the problem is.

Oct 25, 2017
So for people celebrating this you realize that as the article states we literally don't know what these guidelines are.

"does not inhibit sounds growth and development" is meaningless puritanical tripe that could be used to crackdown on literally any type of "sexual" content on the platform.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

False equivalence, which you already know if you've ever tried to make this bullshit argument on Era before.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Sure, I mean, Western culture is moving in that same direction so I don't see the problem with this.
They are blocking explicit content for the sake of being explicit, which in my personal view it's not the kind of art I would defend.
I definitely defend this move. It's actually something the other big players in the industry should follow.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

What's truly hilarious is your inability to see the difference between a game with violence and a game that sexualises underage girls.