• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eu6yHJiU4AELX6w

www.gq-magazine.co.uk

PlayStation’s Jim Ryan: ‘We’re making a completely new VR format for PS5’

Surprise! PlayStation head honcho Jim Ryan has some news to share on PS5 stock, Sony’s 2021 release schedule and a new PlayStation VR headset.

Last edited:

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
So Sony's answer to day one games on Game Pass. Glad they were pushed to make this move.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
It's great for consumers and also for studios in that middle ground between indie and blockbuster

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Is it sustainable tho? /s

It's not surprising, Sony can afford to pay developers for day one releases, it was just a matter of time.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Very good move 👍

Obviously this makes more sense for certain games than others. Indie games like Bugsnax or online games that need a large, active player bases to survive like Destruction AllStars make the most sense, so I doubt we'll ever see a game like Horizon debut day one on PS+, but it's a start.

Buck_Hill

Journalist
Verified
Sep 4, 2020
Hello! This is Rob from GQ. Glad you guys enjoyed the interview, but if you could link to site when quoting it I'd really appreciate it.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Maquette for March then, as rumoured.

That would be so good if true. Fall Guys & Bugsnax would have been day one purchases without Plus giveaways. Maquette and Kena are my planned March purchase so one of those 'free' would be great. Oh and more Indie greats on PlayStation Now too please!

edit: no plans to buy Disco Elysium at launch but I'd happily have that and pay full price for the others though. 🙂

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Good
I abandoned the PS+ subscription during the second part of PS4 life, due to their horrible way of decreasing its value in terms of games, compared to the past
and with GamePass around, they needed to reinforce PS+ offering
good for me, once I'll jump back

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Great news, never would have given DAS a shot and I'm glad I played it for the time I did. Curious to see what else comes.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Deep down, I had always believed Sony would launch their AA titles Day One on PS+ as their way to pseudo-answer GamePass while still releasing AAA at MSRP.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
It's pretty great, these past few months have been a treat, especially when you're on PS5.
Both Bugsnax and Destruction AllStars were games that I would probably never have played if they weren't offered as part of Plus.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Good
I abandoned the PS+ subscription during the second part of PS4 life, due to their horrible way of decreasing its value in terms of games, compared to the past
and with GamePass around, they needed to reinforce PS+ offering
good for me, once I'll jump back
It depends what you were looking for with PS+
But the quality of game given to PS+ was way way better in the 2nd half cycle of PS4

I just read the list I got of PS+ games given from Jan 17 to present and that's not even debatable

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
That's cool. I enjoyed Bugsnax and also had a fun time with Destruction All Stars. I wonder what games we are getting in March. Kena for PS5 users would definitely make me go nuts!

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
It depends what you were looking for with PS+
But the quality of game given to PS+ was way way better in the 2nd half cycle of PS4

I just read the list I got of PS+ games given from Jan 17 to present and that's not even debatable

PS3 + PS Vita releases were something else, imho, compared to PS4 "support"
I dropped the PS+ subscription in the second half of the PS4 life cycle, because it was expiring, maybe I wasn't clear enough, sorry

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
No way Kena is a PS+ release

People are thirsty for games, it would sell well at a low price

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Put demon souls, horizon and Spider-Man on there too Sony.
I mean they will after a year or two, as long as they throw us some original smaller titles day one I'm good and don't expect more than that really. Again PS+ has been giving better games than Gold for a while now, especially new releases.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
They have been doing this way before gamepass though?
They have, but Ryan was also interviewed recently where he stated that their business model was to not add new games to subscription models and that he didn't think that would work for them (in comparison to Game Pass).

My guess is this is a way to downplay his comments a bit, but I don't think anything really changes for Sony. They will still selectively publish new games via PS+ while their tent pole games will sell on their own as they always have before coming to PS+ (possibly) at a later date.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
So is this a middle ground to Gamepass? They aren't going to put their AAA games on PS plus day one (obviously) but are willing to do it with AA games they publish or are exclusive to their platform? I really do like what they have been doing with PS Plus over the last year or so, I hadn't been subscribed through the middle of last gen but they are really ramping up the quality of titles offered and got me to sub again.

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have, but Ryan was also interviewed recently where he stated that their business model was to not add new games to subscription models and that he didn't think that would work for them (in comparison to Game Pass).

In relation to the likes of God of War, Horizon etc. Huge budget first party titles. That is what wouldn't work.

Putting on things like Destruction All-stars which would have been completely DOA as a £50 release however does make a ton of sense.