• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
When you follow it up with this:

"We have not changed the production number for PlayStation 5 since the start of mass production."

It makes me think they aren't saying the entire thing is false. Now could they sure but companies tend to just make a statement that says this is wrong and not say more when the whole thing is wrong. They don't go into specifics and clarify points for no reason.
maybe it was 11 million all along?

xem

Oct 31, 2017
399/499 is my guess. do we have any official numbers regarding production? do we even know if we should expect PS4 level availability? less? more?

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
So what the hell is the real number lmao.

ImpressiveElatedComet-size_restricted.gif

Jim knows.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
If anyone followed the bloomberg saga with supermicro, and the way they operate with anonymous sources... yeah.

Not surprised.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
The cynic in me would read this and think they didn't deny the yield issues or the less amount being produced. They only just said they haven't changed since it started which could have been true they just may not make it...
Their statement starts by straight up denying the report (and thus its exact contents). The second sentence is just a clarification and thus redundant.

Oct 27, 2017
To play devil's advocate if they are denying that means that the 15M figure that Bloomberg was reporting may have never been true at all.

Also what did you expect them to say?
Yeh I was thinking this. I'm pretty sure the 15m claim came from Bloomberg as well so:
"We have not changed the production number for PlayStation 5 since the start of mass production."
— could be some kind of lowkey shade along the lines of "we never increased it to 15m in the first place so ya info was wrong from the start"

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The part Sony corrected was the production cuts. If the yield rate is still accurate, they are paying a pretty penny to meet their production goal.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
The cynic in me would read this and think they didn't deny the yield issues or the less amount being produced. They only just said they haven't changed since it started which could have been true they just may not make it...

Yeah, this is how one can do marketing. Feels likely as well. But weird that they felt the need to comment about it.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Zhuge says they are looking to produce more than PS4 so 15M units could be real

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Which it could have been, but that doesn't address the yield issues etc. I would also say the reporter for this doesn't tend to report false things nor does Bloomberg.
its typical to have some kind of yield issue in the beginning id think, even then 50% says they are on the right track, if they were getting 30% its very bad.

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
So they denied half of the report...meaning that the other half is still on? 449 train let's go!

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
If this is false we really do not have any idea what amount of consoles will be shipped as the 15 million numbers comes from the article as well and the reports of increased production too. Also while they can't lie as a publicly traded company, threy have their way to work around that.
In the end I and everyone will better be having their trigger finger ready over the preorder button, otherwise it will be hard to find one, 5,10 or 15m.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Folk were saying recently that Bloomberg were highly reliable especially in that area. Was in the thread about $600 cost.

Now they are unreliable. Sony certainly aren't lying as they can't.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
It could be, but PS4 was just under 10M at the same time per Zhuge earlier today. This just means the true target number is most likely north of 10 million.
If they have a good price and know the PS4 momentum thanks to their own data + know that they have a good launch line up, they could also produced way more than just bit over 10M

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
But I thought Bloomberg was reliable. 🤔🍿

Serious question as Bloomberg is an American thing, are they known as reliable? For what reason?

Everything that I've seen from them pertaining to gaming has seemed highly dubious, often the source is 'according to sources close to the matter', which reminds me of the same transparant fakery that The Sun and other trash tabloids from UK use to justify any made up story to get clicks. Sometimes the stories are 100% fabrications. Bloomberg reminds me of this.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
So how many units they plan to produce, 11 or 15 millions?

Could be lower and in line with PS4?
Sony has not said a word about sales and forecasts because they can be a big hint about pricing. It's Bloomberg that has built a rollercoster of rumors throughout the months this year.
Now that prices are announced there won't be reasons to hide the sales forecast anymore.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Damn. Sony are going for 15 million

What I'd take from all this is that, in the end, we don't actually know what their target is yet.

In hindsight, Bloomberg's reporting on these numbers was a rollercoaster. I'm guessing there were bits of truth at times, but maybe there were misunderstandings or out of date info in the mix along the way.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Serious question as Bloomberg is an American thing, are they known as reliable? For what reason?

Everything that I've seen from them pertaining to gaming has seemed highly dubious, often the source is 'according to sources close to the matter', which reminds me of the same transparant fakery that The Sun and other trash tabloids from UK use to justify any made up story to get clicks. Sometimes the stories are 100% fabrications. Bloomberg reminds me of this.

In this case you are also calling out the people who work closest with Jason Schrier, I can't imagine he works with people who don't do work on the stories before sending them live.