• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017

Sony's indifference strike again. This is again an indie game where Sony has denied a developer from going on sale, or launching with a discount.

Bad for devs, bad for consumers.

Edit: If you are coming into this thread late and want to buy Return of the Obra Dinn for the discount price... The sale has ended.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It is also not discounted in the web eshops of south america =P

store.nintendo.com.br

Return of the Obra Dinn

Return of the Obra Dinn Una aventura de aseguradoras sin medias tintas En 1802, el barco mercante Obra Dinn zarpó de Londres hacia Oriente con más de 200 toneladas de mercancías. Cuando, seis meses más tarde, aún no había llegado a su primer destino en e

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
I was really hoping it would go on sale on PS4 when I saw practically every other platform get a discount. I really wish we had more information about the why behind this one.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The list of reasons why purchasing the PS5 Digital Edition is a terrible idea keeps growing!

Oct 25, 2017
I read the title as Sony was blocking the discount on other platforms. Why block the discount on their own shop?

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
You have to have Sony's permission to put your own game on a discount?

Once it was listed on the store I'd assumed you could do that whenever you wanted. Strange.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder why? Seems rather odd to deny a sale unless maybe the dev missed a deadline or something.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Sony has been denying Vita discounts for months (publishers mentioned how Sony wouldn't allow them). Now it's happening to the PS4, the biggest surprise being that the PS4 is still an important platform to Sony.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I wonder if it might be related with the store revamp Sony's releasing next week, PSN was having a lot of issues.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How many resources does it tie up to change a price on a store?

OP
OP
NewDust

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I get not doing individual sales but it (imo) fits the Halloween sale so idk what their beef is

They have no issues putting their own game on an individual, short sale.
schermafbeelding2020-s7jyo.png

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You make it sound like Sony are out to scam people over a couple of dollars which is just insane.

It's far more likely they had a set amount of games they wanted to discount and they stuck to it, that's all.

Seriously the amount of deals they have had for indie/1st party/3rd party show that they aren't against discounts.

It was discounted once before if you had PS+ so it's not like they're against it.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Weird. It had a small discount in January on my store. Been waiting for a bigger sale on it.

Screenshot-20201016-203544.png

Screenshot-20201016-203609.png

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Cardpocalypse was also not on sale on PS4 compared to other platforms. I wonder if Sony is limiting these sales intentionally to hold back for some other flash sale event or something?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
This is not a good look. Shit like this is why an all digital future in a walled garden that is mostly a wild west (except in places like EU where they have better consumer protection) requires consumers to be circumspect.

Corporations.are.NOT.our.friends.

Oct 27, 2017
Been waiting on this to go on sale on PS4. I want to believe their denial is because it will included on Plus in November but yeah; not likely.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Violent Sony yet again making rethink buying their shit

I was just happy from the UI reveal too.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
You have to have Sony's permission to put your own game on a discount?

Once it was listed on the store I'd assumed you could do that whenever you wanted. Strange.

Now that I think about it, this doesn't surprise me, considering how regimented PSN sales are compared to the eShop, where a billion things are on sale every day. You probably have to opt-in to pre-defined Sony themed sales or something.

(Also this pretty much ensures we won't see a last minute sale on PS3/PSP/Vita content before Sony tosses it into the legacy store in a few days)

At any rate, this thread sold me on an Xbox copy of the game, so, uh, good job there Sony.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about MS, but on eshop publisher can lower to 1 cent any time. On Playstation they would need Sony to do it.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Well, Sony has discounts constantly, so it probably there's a reason why it is allowed. Maybe because there is already a Halloween discount?
I always wanted to try this one, so when it goes on sale on ps4 I'll probably bite. I could buy on switch but i usually don't use it so I'll wait

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
You make it sound like Sony are out to scam people over a couple of dollars which is just insane.

It's far more likely they had a set amount of games they wanted to discount and they stuck to it, that's all.

Seriously the amount of deals they have had for indie/1st party/3rd party show that they aren't against discounts.

It was discounted once before if you had PS+ so it's not like they're against it.
+1
Imagine sony doing this for shits and giggles rather than having a valid reason.
ERA outrage continues to embarrass itself.

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
Return of the Obra Dinn is legit one of the best games i've ever played. Shame Sony refused the discount. If any of you can afford it on other platform GO FOR IT. You won't be disappointed.

OP
OP
NewDust

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it, this doesn't surprise me, considering how regimented PSN sales are compared to the eShop, where a billion things are on sale every day. You probably have to opt-in to pre-defined Sony themed sales or something.
Games on PSN go on sale all the time. Yes, mostly bunched with "themed" sales, but every week there are also individual titles on sale.