• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Its supposed to be an additional layer between SSD and RAM i think, not a replacement of either one
yea, what this would mean is the game will load itself onto the ReRam, a portion of the game that is currently needed most on the Ram itself, and then in gameplay you could switch the data in the ram in practically no time.

this would also mean that SSD drives will be replacable as devs wont need to have an SSD baseline for in game streaming.
Don't do that.

Don't give me hope.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Those numbers are over PCIe 5.0 and for ReRAM as a full SSD, which will be expensive.

PS5 doesn't need to use it, nor does it need PCIe 4.0. Anything on PCIe 5.0 is definitely for enterprise so tamper expectations if ReRAM is used in consoles.

Still would be absolutely epic if it was included though.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think if this was going into PS5, Sony would make a much more public deal of it already in order to boost the tech's profile, early adoption prospects etc.

I can see the temptation to speculate about it, but I think it's far more likely the PS5 SSD will be conventional NAND devices, with the customisation in the memory controller and associated logic and/or in the IO bus (if it's not standard PCIe4).

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I think it's extremely unlikely we'll see this in PS5:

- we've just had a thread with Samsung clearly talking about their NVMe SSD tech being adopted by consoles in 2020 - EDIT I made a mistake, sorry
- target size seems very small
- price is likely to be expensive

Last edited:

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Pretty cool. One odd thing here is that to get the best out if it, devs will have to seriously cut back on data compression. It's one major reason why loading a level on PC via 500MB/sec SSD might take 3.2 seconds, while the exact same PC with a 3200MB/sec nvme SSD might cut it to 2.9 seconds despite being more than 6X faster. The reason is simply waiting for the CPU and game processes to decompress the data into position in RAM, which takes time and grunt.

Or to put it much more simply : the time it takes to copy 5GB of data directly from A to B vs the time it takes to unpack a 5GB RAR from the exact same A and B positions.

Currently, data compression is basically ubiquitous for modern AAA games, simply due to people preferring a game like Gears 5 or RDR2 not to take 200+GB of storage, or ship on 4 Blurays, lol.

A middle ground is probably ideal here, or a proprietary decompression tool that is mandatory for all platform releases which is data efficient AND doesn't bog the hell out the CPU, which would make the benefits very hard to see.

Jun 17, 2018
If this is build into the PS5 how can MS compete?

Even ith ssds ms would have load times and sony nearly none.

Well we haven't heard from MS yet so I guess let's just wait and see? I'm sure they will have something in the bag and like others have said, price is really important here. If the PS5 isn't competitively priced then it will be a tough sell initially like the PS3.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Something tells me PS5 will not ship with 128GB. Even 256GB is garbage. I'm scared, hold me Jeff.

it'd be more than enough - you wouldn't have this as your only storage - it'd be like virtual ram and then you'd have HDD or a slower SSD for mass storage.

This would be crazy if true - you could literally use this like DDR4 so you could have eg 16GB HBM for fast 'VRAM' and then 128GB of effective DDR4.

traditional 16x ram increase still possible!?

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Competing with Optane would be pretty interesting.

If this is build into the PS5 how can MS compete?

Even ith ssds ms would have load times and sony nearly none.

by... using competing technology?

Your (very console-warring) post reminds me of how people didn't think the Xbox One would have a blu-ray drive because "sony owns it"

OP
OP
DieH@rd

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017

- we've just had a thread with Samsung clearly talking about their NVMe SSD tech being adopted by consoles in 2020

PS5 would still need a regular SSD for massstorage if ReRAM is used as a cache for currently active game.

As for price, that's the big unknown. 8GB of GDDR5 also costed much but it appeared on PS4.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States

- we've just had a thread with Samsung clearly talking about their NVMe SSD tech being adopted by consoles in 2020

This wont be the main drive. It'll sit alongside the main SSD.

This will basically be like an Optane module that accelerates transfers by caching important data and zapping it directly to the CPU, all while communicating directly with other components like RAM and GPU.

Most of the data stays on main storage drive.

Price will fall as capacity shrinks, and PS5 probably won't need anything bigger than 32GB of cache, if that.

Sony can make full SSDs out of this tech (thats what is outlined in the presentation) but it's definitely not needed for consoles. Those are enterprise data sets.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't understand what would be the point of this on the PS5.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
PS5 would still need a regular SSD for massstorage if ReRAM is used as a cache for currently active game.

As for price, that's the big unknown. 8GB of GDDR5 also costed much but it appeared on PS4.
i think a major thing to remember is that its not the first time sony used their consoles to sell new technology, which in turn will make it cheaper in the long run.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I think it's extremely unlikely too, but on Samsung.... did they clearly say that?

I know a lot of people went wild 'confirming' Samsung's involvement, but I took the presented slide as part of commentary on general SSD trends, not an announcement of their own products going into consoles. Was it clarified later - e.g. in a better translation - that they actually were confirming their involvement?

OP
OP
DieH@rd

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
unless they rehired crazy Ken, i highly doubt it.
Maybe Randy Pitchford has again screamed at Sony reps at dev meetings, this time asking for fastest SSD possible. :D

4x the speed of Optane DIMMs and yet somehow affordable enough to use in a consumer device like the PS5?
I've been predicting a fast drive in the PS5; faster than most PCIe 4.0 SSDs even, but this seems highly unlikely.

What if Intel is placing 300% markup on Octane? They are like nvidia, they like their profits.

Who what will production cost of ReRAM be... Plus, Sony would make it internally.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Competing with Optane would be pretty interesting.

by... using competing technology?

Your (very console-warring) post reminds me of how people didn't think the Xbox One would have a blu-ray drive because "sony owns it"

No console-warring intended. I'll buy both consoles day 1 (as i have this gen).

My question comes from the idea to use this technology at all. This news doesn't confrim that sony 'll use ReRam in the ps5, that's just a possibility. But if sony knew that this technology will be ready in 2020 they could've planned for its use. MS could surely use a competing solution or even the same but if they didn't even plan for its use in scarlet then it would mean that the ps5 may got an advantage that isn't fixable at this time for ms.

With the ram for the PS4 sony doubled it to 8gb because of MS (after they've heard about it). But this technology isn't something that can be tacked on.

We'll see in a few months.

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
Anyone else not feeling excited at the prospect of these SSD techs being an important selling point for next gen? I mean, this generation I've rarely been annoyed by excessive loading times or sluggish behavior during installs, patches etc. Am I missing something here?

There's so many optimizations required to fit with older hard drive tech on current gen and PC... There's so much stuff we have to stream from storage to ram to GPU and CPU, accelerating the first bottleneck will unlock a tons of possibilities.

For example we will see many more games using Virtual Texturing/Megatextures (as teased by Epic in their latest UE4 releases), 4k textures, HDR textures (right now exactly zero game uses HDR texturing), better probes-based lighting etc.

twisted89

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone think this tech will be in the next gen consoles then you're living in the clouds.
There's no way such a huge leap in storage read/write speeds would be used in what is essentially a budget product.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
What if Intel is placing 300% markup on Octane? They are like nvidia, they like their profits.
Who what will production cost of ReRAM be... Plus, Sony would make it internally.
Oh I'm sure there is a big markup on Optane DIMMs, due to there being nothing else like that right now. Even at these high prices it's still significantly cheaper than RAM.
But unless Sony are aiming to completely revolutionize computing with low-cost ReRAM, I can't imagine a first-generation product being produced at such volume and priced so low that it would be feasible to have something like 128GB of it inside the PS5.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
So basically it will be more or less like a RAMdisk. When starting the game it will dump it from the storage (or blu-ray) to this 128GB while the game is running so that it loads faster while in-game (with a longer start-up loading time)

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
With base target of 128GB at 25GB/s read and 9GB/s write speed, I wonder how it will translate on PS5.

I personally think the ReRAM used in PS5 will be slower than this; 20GB/s read and 5GB/s write speed.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
This wont be the main drive. It'll sit alongside the main SSD.
I can easily agree on that, I just think it's unlikely they'll adopt both.

I think it's extremely unlikely too, but on Samsung.... did they clearly say that?
No, you're right.
I stand corrected, and I even checked the actual slide yesterday!

My apologies.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Just how expensive are these? Would it be viable for Sony to put them in the PS5 cost wise and keep the overall unit at a reasonable cost?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
So basically it will be more or less like a RAMdisk. When starting the game it will dump it from the storage (or blu-ray) to this 128GB while the game is running so that it loads faster while in-game (with a longer start-up loading time)
Probably better than a RAM disk, as there are overheads with that which makes them higher latency than Optane DIMMs for example.
1d4c-gap-5web9jksu.jpg

I still think it's entirely unrealistic that the PS5 will be using this tech though.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I could see Sony go with 32GB ReRam together with 32GB GDDR6 Ram. I think that 32GB is enough for next gen games