• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Ryse from 2013 still gives Uncharted 4 a run for its money.

mjl.gif

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have a odd take on people claiming "this game has the best graphics because it's exclusive!
People self-select exclusives when talking about graphically outstanding games.It's the same regardless of platform. Xbox owners assured themselves that Xbox 360 exclusives had the best graphics, even if there were multiplats with better graphics. People don't generally say, "This is better because it's exclusive". They self-select the exclusive games that helped them justify one console over another. To some extent, it's the same with PC. You see people praising Crysis 1's graphics even though many other games have much better graphics than it. Including Crysis 2 and Crysis 3? Why is that? Because Crysis 1 was a PC exclusive, up until it got ported to consoles and that little chestnut gets forgotten. Why are FEAR's graphics so highly praised? There are many games with far better graphics. Because it was PC exclusive for years. It's a symbol for PC gamers, who often pretend that FEAR wasn't ported pretty much intact to consoles. The underlying philosophy is that these games represented an experience that couldn't be found elsewhere. You see this with PC RTS fans who pretend the console versions of RTS games don't exist.

This is the real secret behind exclusives, or "exclusives". People convince themselves, regardless of the facts, that these games represent something that can't be found elsewhere. They convince themselves that a PS4 exclusive that looks like a typical open world Ubisoft game and plays like a typical open world Ubisoft game is a truly special experience that is the sole domain of Sony. Nobody does it like Sony. How does Sony do it?

But what about all these screenshots of multiplats with graphics that are just as good. Oh, well, you see, that's different. Sony games have HEART and SOUL and stories that make you FEEL THINGS. It's all very wishy washy and you can't really get a fix on anything.

I have no issue with people praising games with amazing graphics. I really love photorealism in gaming. But there's a lot of console fanboyism involved in graphics discussions, as well as PC arrogance. I don't agree with that at all. People care less about true graphical fidelity and more about justifying the team they chose.

In my opinion Unity still looks better.
Unity's real strength lay in environmental complexity and crowd density, which are hugely CPU taxing. Origins is leaps and bounds beyond it everywhere else. Unity didn't even have dynamic sunlight.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, no it does not. I get the feeling this is less about graphical prowess and more about that particular style of hyper-realistic art design that is quite common with Sony-owned studios.

This is untrue. Many of the best looking games on PS4 are multiplatform. And by extension of this, many of the best looking games on PC and the Xbox One X are multiplatform. Again, Assassin's Creed: Origins.

AC: Origins is one of the best looking PS4 games. It has incredible graphics, and an open world scope that few developers match. If it were a PS4 exclusive, it would be gushed over. Platform exclusivity has a HUGE impact on how games are discussed.

Nothing you said has anything to do with thread topic....no one said third party games don;t look great...This thread..over your head because you just jumped in to downplay . AC doesn't look as good as horizon anyway...thus its not being gushed over, because horizon exists.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Is aco really better looking than horizon? Does it look better than it did at e3?

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that you don't see the transition is a testament to their craft, for sure. But things are dialed back even if you're not perceiving it.
I don't know why it's such a controversial notion that cutscenes have much higher graphical fidelity than gameplay. The character models used in Uncharted 4's cutscenes and photo mode are not the same character models used during gameplay. LoD is turned off in photo mode, too. Cutscenes look better because developers have full control over lighting and scene complexity, which means they can pump a crapload of polygons into the characters onscreen. Go play Resident Evil 5, 6, and 7. There is a noticable jump in graphical fidelity when characters are doing closeups. Better lighting, shadows, poly counts, everything. And animation, too. LoD0 models in games, particularly FPS games, are generally not used except during those dramatic "all up in your face" scenes.

This is why people are right to be cautious when discussion games based on nothing more than cutscene footage. It's about being realistic.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why it's such a controversial notion that cutscenes have much higher graphical fidelity than gameplay. The character models used in Uncharted 4's cutscenes and photo mode are not the same character models used during gameplay. LoD is turned off in photo mode, too. Cutscenes look better because developers have full control over lighting and scene complexity, which means they can pump a crapload of polygons into the characters onscreen. Go play Resident Evil 5, 6, and 7. There is a noticable jump in graphical fidelity when characters are doing closeups. Better lighting, shadows, poly counts, everything. And animation, too. LoD0 models in games, particularly FPS games, are generally not used except during those dramatic "all up in your face" scenes.

This is why people are right to be cautious when discussion games based on nothing more than cutscene footage. It's about being realistic.

If only Sony first party games looked great outside of cut-scenes.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People self-select exclusives when talking about graphically outstanding games.It's the same regardless of platform. Xbox owners assured themselves that Xbox 360 exclusives had the best graphics, even if there were multiplats with better graphics. People don't generally say, "This is better because it's exclusive". They self-select the exclusive games that helped them justify one console over another. To some extent, it's the same with PC. You see people praising Crysis 1's graphics even though many other games have much better graphics than it. Including Crysis 2 and Crysis 3? Why is that? Because Crysis 1 was a PC exclusive, up until it got ported to consoles and that little chestnut gets forgotten. Why are FEAR's graphics so highly praised? There are many games with far better graphics. Because it was PC exclusive for years. It's a symbol for PC gamers, who often pretend that FEAR wasn't ported pretty much intact to consoles. The underlying philosophy is that these games represented an experience that couldn't be found elsewhere. You see this with PC RTS fans who pretend the console versions of RTS games don't exist.

This is the real secret behind exclusives, or "exclusives". People convince themselves, regardless of the facts, that these games represent something that can't be found elsewhere. They convince themselves that a PS4 exclusive that looks like a typical open world Ubisoft game and plays like a typical open world Ubisoft game is a truly special experience that is the sole domain of Sony. Nobody does it like Sony. How does Sony do it?

But what about all these screenshots of multiplats with graphics that are just as good. Oh, well, you see, that's different. Sony games have HEART and SOUL and stories that make you FEEL THINGS. It's all very wishy washy and you can't really get a fix on anything.

I have no issue with people praising games with amazing graphics. I really love photorealism in gaming. But there's a lot of console fanboyism involved in graphics discussions, as well as PC arrogance. I don't agree with that at all. People care less about true graphical fidelity and more about justifying the team they chose.

Unity's real strength lay in environmental complexity and crowd density, which are hugely CPU taxing. Origins is leaps and bounds beyond it everywhere else. Unity didn't even have dynamic sunlight.

Crysis was unsurpassed for many years and the praise was 100% warranted. It was unlike anything else we had seen at the time on that scale and with that level of coherence.

If you're going to start going down this road of attempting to rewrite history then it would be best if you gave examples of games you think we're better looking at the time.

As for the RTS comment, please just stop and do some research.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I have been really impressed with Sony this gen and that was before I saw those 3 games in OP - pretty blown away atm tbh.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017

Yes I agree that people wanna validate the gaming platform they choose. But what about the people who game on multiple platforms myself? For example, I don't like online only multiplayer games but I don't run up into threads and go "all of you are wrong, single player or GTFO!"

When I see platform wars going on I just leave, it's a waste of time reading that garbage.

But you probably shouldn't get bothered by people that prefer one games artstyle over another. It's just all a matter of opinion, everyone is different.

Ludens

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Neither From Software, and Bloodborne was a pain in the eye due to the framepacing and the 30 fps limitation. GT Sport is garbage. I love Uncharted, but gameplay wise is the same game all over again with better animations, but the core gameplay is pretty much the same since 2007.
GTS is garbage?? lol

Please do tell what games you think arent samy as others or with better grafix?

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood

Yep. What's extra funny is a lot of these guys are all about "first-party devs getting the most out of the platform" and yet refuse to believe that the devs are doing exactly that by changing models, shadow resolution, detail levels, lighting models and more when in cutscenes or photo mode.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Most images in this thread don't even show up. :(

I was surprised by the beauty of the Shadow of the Colossus remake. They didn't just update the graphics for this generation, they actually pushed them further in the process.

nH2gRmh.gif

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crysis was unsurpassed for many years and the praise was 100% warranted. It was unlike anything else we had seen at the time on that scale and with that level of coherence.

If you're going to start going down this road of attempting to rewrite history then it would be best if you gave examples of games you think we're better looking at the time.
I think you misunderstand what I said completely. At the time of its release, Crysis 1 was unparalleled. Same with Far Cry. Same with Crysis 2. Same with Crysis 3. Same with Ryse. And probably the same with Hunt: Showdown. There are still people today claiming that Crysis 1 "looks better than most games released today" and things like that. which is complete nonsense, but Crysis 1 became the poster child for anti-console resentment. Crysis 2 was a massive graphical jump over Crysis 1. Particularly with the DX11 patch. But the fact it was multiplatform meant it was no longer useful for PC owners to brag about how much better their PCs were than consoles. Crysis 3, in turn, was graphically superior to both Crysis 1, Crysis 2, and pretty much everything else at the time. It's still a graphical benchmark on PC that looks absolutely stunning maxed out.

As for the RTS comment, please just stop and do some research.
Not sure what your'e talking about. The RTS genre has a long history on consoles. But historically PC RTS fans have pretended that RTS is a genre exclusive to PC. An experience you can't get outside of PC. It involves either pretending console RTS games don't exist or claiming they're absolutely unplayable on consoles. This has been going on since Starcraft 64 and the like.

Exclusive to pet platform + has art style I like consistently outweighs graphical fidelity in online discussions. This has been true since the 5th generation in particular. Notice that nobody is citing actual graphical advancements that these games have that other games don't have. The focus is entirely on art style and their cinematic presentation. There is actually almost zero "graphical" discussion going on here.

Platform exclusivity is all about the perception of an experience you can't get elsewhere. That's what this is all about. Look at the number of people talking as though Sony is somehow the only place you can get mature games with mature, deep storylines. Wolfenstein II was literally last week. It has possibly the best writing and most mature themes in videogames. But you can't justify a console buying decision using it, so it gets ignored.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Most images in this thread don't even show up. :(

I was surprised by the beauty of the Shadow of the Colossus remake. They didn't just update the graphics for this generation, they actually pushed them further in the process.

nH2gRmh.gif
I was very impressed at how this looked. Hopefully Capcom can make the RE2 Remake look amazing too.

Stillmatic

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yep. What's extra funny is a lot of these guys are all about "first-party devs getting the most out of the platform" and yet refuse to believe that the devs are doing exactly that by changing models, shadow resolution, detail levels, lighting models and more when in cutscenes or photo mode.
That's not true. They do exactly that with their gameplay graphics, and push it further when they can outside of that. Everyone knows extra things are added to realtime cutscenes etc. It doesn't take away from what they achieve during gameplay.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm switching to Xbone X for third party games, but would never even consider selling my Pro just because of Sony's lineup. It might not be 100% consistent, but it's always worth checking out.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Should be taking the crown for one of the worst looking games of this gen, so there is that.
after its delay I'm sure it will look better.
It will be running in native 4k so there is that.
Crackdown is not supposed to look realistic, so I'm not sure how well they can make cell shaded graphics look

StealthieOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dfw
I'll never understand how or why Sony is able to pull off what they do. Literally every game they make now is just oozing with atmosphere.. and Microsoft can't even make one.. not even one game that is even close. I'm a huge Xbox fan too. I just don't get how Sony does it

I can literally feel the frustration in his post. I think Microsoft may surprise you in 2018. Cant release a system update and then not wow the fanbase.. Great time to be a gamer

WaqarYounis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
after its delay I'm sure it will look better.
It will be running in native 4k so there is that.
Crackdown is not supposed to look realistic, so I'm not sure how well they can make cell shaded graphics look

Native 4K isn't going to make this game look anything special. Still waiting to see the amazing 'cloud tech' that MS was touting years ago.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Lost Legacy impressed me immensely. It imo even topped Uncharted 4 visually in some areas.
My own screenshots:

35876589463_59ae715099_o.png

36553144892_09f4ff33b3_o.png

35912258813_123484c5a0_o.png

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
The Order still looks pretty freaking great after just 2 years.
CharmingDiscreteIberianchiffchaff.gif

source.gif

But once you take into consideration that an open world game like Horizon can push the same amount of visuals, then I guess 1886 losses a bit of its charm.

Dem reloads though...
ValidInexperiencedIvorybilledwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exclusive to pet platform + has art style I like consistently outweighs graphical fidelity in online discussions. This has been true since the 5th generation in particular. Notice that nobody is citing actual graphical advancements that these games have that other games don't have. The focus is entirely on art style and their cinematic presentation. There is actually almost zero "graphical" discussion going on here.

When I look at Game Developer Choice Awards, Uncharted 4 won the Best Technology category. Granted technology is more than just graphics, but when you have IGDA with over 12,000 developers worldwide and the majority of them cared enough to vote, voted for Uncharted 4, a PS4 exclusive as having the best technology in a game, what you mentioned in your posts just don't add up.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, no it does not. I get the feeling this is less about graphical prowess and more about that particular style of hyper-realistic art design that is quite common with Sony-owned studios.

This is untrue. Many of the best looking games on PS4 are multiplatform. And by extension of this, many of the best looking games on PC and the Xbox One X are multiplatform. Again, Assassin's Creed: Origins.

AC: Origins is one of the best looking PS4 games. It has incredible graphics, and an open world scope that few developers match. If it were a PS4 exclusive, it would be gushed over. Platform exclusivity has a HUGE impact on how games are discussed.

AC Origins is a beautiful game, and is clearly doing more than these other games in certain areas, but just to give a quick example of how the console versions compare.

Gameplay shots only.

jpg

Horizon%20Zero%20Dawntrade_20170304010556.jpg~original

Horizon%20Zero%20Dawntrade_20170304003446.jpg~original

jpg

qQBQ.png

horizonzerodawn_20170tykxj.png

jpg

Horizon%20Zero%20Dawntrade_20170303231034.jpg~original

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
while ALL the games presented at PGW week were incredible, i especially appreciated the collision detection and actual muscular animation done on the last of us trailer - i've been wanting such details to be animated for years now, but never expected to see it with current hardware limitations in mind.

xs2kys

Oct 29, 2017
my mom asked me if the last of us 2 was real when i show her lols. thats how real the game looks. she liked the shaddow of the collosus trailer the most.

Forestar

Oct 28, 2017
Some of you needs lesson in civility because some of you are too feral when it comes to discussions like this.

Anyway, it's pretty clear that all three console makers have gone there own way in the performance department. Microsoft with framerate, Sony with graphical prowess and Nintendo with gameplay.

Plus do remember that The Coalition didn't want to do radical changes to GOW sub set because their didn't want to upset the older fan-base, this means we don't even know what GOW5 will be like.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony has nudged the studios under them towards third person action adventure games, which are a real sweet spot in terms of graphics and framerate, particularly since 8th gen consoles have such problematically weak CPUs. I am curious about what direction they'll go in a few years time when the PS4 finally can't keep up. Towards the end of the PS3's life, you had games like The Last of Us, which were exceptionally pretty but chugged along at 20fps during busy scenes or even just moderately open sections. TLOU is such a remarkable accomplishment, but when you compare it to Uncharted 3, which ran at a fairly stable 30fps, the problem is apparent.

Different developers prioritize different things, but there is a pretty consistent trend of Sony published action adventure games placing huge weight on character animation and sort of... personal drama, I guess? Not sure what the word is. But it's a different weighted set of graphical design priorities. Which makes it difficulty to objectively say, "This has better graphics than this other game." Instead you have to sort of say, "They're among the best." Is a game with prebaked lighting and an aesthetically pleasing art style graphically "better" than a game with realtime lighting and an art style that is realistic and therefore "bland"? Like, that's a huge factor. Naughty Dog games and Guerilla games are not photorealistic. They are hyper-realistic. It's a stylised realism. This is a huge problem because a lot of people will argue the hyper-realistic game "looks better" than the realistic one that is "bland" and the like.

Case in point:

xsvGG.jpg

This is a photograph. This is the zenith of graphical achievement. The fact this would be perceived as "worse graphics than Uncharted 4" is really the underlying problem with photorealism in graphics. I don't there's an easy answer to this problem.