• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
www.theguardian.com

PlayStation 5: exclusive games 'more important than ever', says Sony

Developer says releases including Horizon: Forbidden West and Marvel’s Spider-Man will be key to demonstrating the system’s capabilities

Simon Rutter, PlayStation's EVP for Europe, says that for Sony exclusive games are "hugely important. More important, I think, than they've ever been. Through their proximity to the system's designers, PlayStation's studios are able to really extract the most out of the system performance and that's a really valuable attribute for a platform holder to have. [PlayStation] can rely on a studio network that can really show off the innovations that we're trying to put across … when the exclusives are as powerful as Marvel's Spider-Man or Horizon, they are important games that people want to play."

"Gran Turismo 7 is going to benefit from almost every single technological enhancement that we have in PlayStation 5," says Rutter. "The loading times will be next to nothing compared to what they have been in the past. Sitting in the cockpit, the 3D audio allows you to hear the thunderous roar of a Ferrari behind you or in front of you, and you can recognise the difference between that and the engine noise of a Maserati. Driving the car using the DualSense controller, you'll have a different feeling in your hands from the smooth undulating tarmac of a racetrack, compared to the gritty sensation on a gravel track. Pressing a soft accelerator will feel very different than pressing on a stiff brake pedal or gear paddle."

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The loading times will be next to nothing compared to what they have been in the past. Sitting in the cockpit, the 3D audio allows you to hear the thunderous roar of a Ferrari behind you or in front of you, and you can recognise the difference between that and the engine noise of a Maserati. Driving the car using the DualSense controller, you'll have a different feeling in your hands from the smooth undulating tarmac of a racetrack, compared to the gritty sensation on a gravel track. Pressing a soft accelerator will feel very different than pressing on a stiff brake pedal or gear paddle."

This sounds fucking amazing, can't wait

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I feel an aquisition coming, I've been saying for the past month that an studio will be aquired by Sony by the end of August.

Will be one of Housemarque, RAD and / or Bluepoint.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought Gran Turismo is gonna be one of those games that really showcase the DualSense at its full potential and I can't wait.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Haptic feedback is an extremely underrated feature when people actually use it right. Glad to see Sony devs also take advantage of this. Hopefully Sony has better guidelines for what devs should do if they don't want to bother (people complain about poor rumble on the Switch because third party devs either make it too weak or absurdly strong).

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Yeah, they are. I wonder if all those success from Sony's and Nintendo's exclusives will make Phil have a change of heart.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, GT7 seems like the perfect game to showcase the DualSense's new features. Can't wait!

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
This is why I love console exclusives, show me the power of the hardware and the uniqueness of the features.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
I feel an aquisition coming, I've been saying for the past month that an studio will be aquired by Sony by the end of August.

I think its gonna be Bluepoint when I look at their portofolio outside of two titles they have been a playstation port house.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I've never played GT
So I have to ask, are they usually as good as Forza since Forza is held up as the best racing sims

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

which one is the biggest, capable of handling multiple project? I think one of the biggest reason Sony bought Insomniac is not just because they've worked together a long time, but because Insomniac are capable to work on multiple project and have games released every 2-3 years. if Bluepoint and Housemarque are only capable of working on 1 project at a time, then I think Sony will prefer to keep the current deal going and not make acquisition

Wakka212

Oct 30, 2017
I cannot wait for media impressions of the DualSense and how much this stuff actually affects the experience. I am getting so hyped about it!

I also think we need a deepdive on all three of these games to showcase the load times.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
"Exclusives games more important than ever."

Releases Horizon and Bloodborne on PC.

"If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough."

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Cool and all, but isn't this kind of a "water is wet" situation? Like, of course they're going to use the technology of the system they're developing it for

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Gran Turismo (1). The next one I played was Gran Turismo 5.

gran turismo 7 sounds so good!

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018

Please stop with the acquisitions.
I think Sony has enough studios. Look at EA, Activision, Ubi. How many studios do they have? I'd say Sony is in a great position already.

May 31, 2018
I remember watching older E3s and would get deflated when the SCEA screen would pop up in front of a trailer. I would think "oh man this isn't one of the big names." Now they are the most exciting and almost guarantee high quality. They've really become the Marvel Studios of gaming. GT7 looks to carry that on.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
GT isn't the sort of game that interests me but I am very excited about the potential of 3D audio and haptics.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the DualSense deliver on it's promises.

Yeah, they are. I wonder if all those success from Sony's and Nintendo's exclusives will make Phil have a change of heart.

Pretty sure Phil is happy seeing SoT a the top of the Steam sales chart for the past week. Expending your audience is never a bad thing.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
What I really want to see is the crazy concept cars that will come out in it. As now they will be able to introduce cars with even crazier acceleration to those they had made before.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why does it take three seconds to load up a car in the menu tho

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't really think of it but yeah, GT7 will really show off that new controller and 3D audio stuff.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
"Exclusives games more important than ever."

Releases Horizon and Bloodborne on PC.

"If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough."

Those games are years old and if anything, they generate more revenue and potentially more PS5 buyers. It's a win-win situation. They won't release any new exclusives on PC, that's for sure.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Can't see RAD happening at all, but can definitely see Housemarque and Bluepoint.
I think its gonna be Bluepoint when I look at their portofolio outside of two titles they have been a playstation port house.
which one is the biggest, capable of handling multiple project? I think one of the biggest reason Sony bought Insomniac is not just because they've worked together a long time, but because Insomniac are capable to work on multiple project and have games released every 2-3 years. if Bluepoint and Housemarque are only capable of working on 1 project at a time, then I think Sony will prefer to keep the current deal going and not make acquisition
Answering to all three of you. Here's my take:

Housemarque:
This is the studio I see happening last, or the least likely so to speak. The reason why - its a small team, and it doesn't make a lot of money. I feel like Returnal might be their final "proving ground", if it makes money - they might be bought. Feels like they also scratch that "Remedy itch" that was rumoured, with their arcady gameplay and big focus on gameplay.

Bluepoint:
This is the studio I kind of see as being the most likely. Reason being that they put out great games, gamers (everything really) has a huge nostalgia itch, remakes are popular and I feel like Bluepoint can A. Expand and B. Perhaps try out doing something on their own with a big budget.

Here's where its interesting and where Callibrettos post comes in
Ready at Dawn:
They do VR, they do multiple games at one time, they're tight as hell with Santa Monica Studios. They've done God of War, they've done a big budget, linear, over the shoulder game. They fill the Insomniac itch better than both Blupoint and Housemarque ever can imo.

I still think Bluepoint is the most likely though lol

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Haptic feedback is an extremely underrated feature when people actually use it right. Glad to see Sony devs also take advantage of this. Hopefully Sony has better guidelines for what devs should do if they don't want to bother (people complain about poor rumble on the Switch because third party devs either make it too weak or absurdly strong).
The vibrators have to be big though. The switch also uses linear motors and they are too weak for the size of the pro controller or the handheld Switch.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Please stop with the acquisitions.
I think Sony has enough studios. Look at EA, Activision, Ubi. How many studios do they have? I'd say Sony is in a great position already.

They shouldn't just be buying studios just to make more of the games and genres they already have covered, for sure. That's wasteful as hell.

But a dedicated (or at least oriented) RPG studio would fill a HUGE gap in their catalog that none of their current projects even come close to scratching.