• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This means we get another Blade Runner as long as we balance it with Jumanji 2 yes?

:(

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
thanks The Star

maxresdefault.jpg

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking godammit. When will people learn that SPE hasn't been on fire in a while.
No, they made an operating profit last year as well, but took a goodwill impairment writedown due to the changes in the home entertainment market. They were profitable in 2015 also. And in 2014.
So Jumanji saved their ass.
Most of Juamanji is next quarter iirc.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
They literally got saved by Jumanji, wouldn't really say Sony Pictures is in a safe place, but it is a big improvement after underperforming for years. Does Sony pictures have any big movies announced that could be big earners for 2018 outside of Venom?

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Sony Pictures is fine. Man, you guys really don't know how to read financial statements or you don't want to actually look at history (as in the last couple years of Sony Pictures statements).

OP
OP
ReginOfFire

ReginOfFire

Oct 29, 2017
Fucking godammit. When will people learn that SPE hasn't been on fire in a while.

No, they made an operating profit last year as well, but took a goodwill impairment writedown due to the changes in the home entertainment market. They were profitable in 2015 also. And in 2014.

Most of Juamanji is next quarter iirc.

Just making a joke I know they havent been on fire for a while now lol

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
doesn't seem like much given the size of the company, but then again i am not a CPA

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
They literally got saved by Jumanji, wouldn't really say Sony Pictures is in a safe place, but it is a big improvement after underperforming for years. Does Sony pictures have any big movies announced that could be big earners for 2018 outside of Venom?
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Hotel Transylvania 3
Goosebumps 2
Slender Man (It's gonna be cheap)
Sicario 2: Soldado

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Eventually all studios will degrade due to the Disney monopoly. Disney will acquire more and more and so each month is tentpole'd by Disney. I'd guess the future is Disney making blockbusters while there's much smaller studios making low budget flicks that pick up money during the Disney blockbuster valleys.

The future looks great.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's release slate for next year:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?view2=upcoming&view=company&studio=tristar.htm
Padman2/9/18
Peter Rabbit 2/9/18
Paul, Apostle of Christ 3/28/18
Superfly 6/15/18
Sicario 2: Soldado 6/29/18
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation 7/13/18
The Equalizer 2 8/3/18
Slender Man 8/24/18
Alpha 9/14/18
Venom (2018) 10/5/18
Goosebumps 2 10/12/18
The Girl in the Spider's Web 11/9/18
Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (3D) 12/14/18
Holmes & Watson 12/21/18

Nothing in there is big enough to break them, and a few of the movies have a chance of becoming decent sized hits (Peter Rabbit, HT3, Equalizer 2, Goosebumps 2, Venom, and maybe even Girl in the Spider's Web). 2019 has a chance at being a big year with Homecoming 2, probably Silver and Black, Men in Black and Charlie's Angels reboots, Angry Birds 2, Tarantino's Manson movie and maybe Bad Boys 4 Life.

Eventually all studios will degrade due to the Disney monopoly. Disney will acquire more and more and so each month is tentpole'd by Disney. I'd guess the future is Disney making blockbusters while there's much smaller studios making low budget flicks that pick up money during the Disney blockbuster valleys.

The future looks great.

What type of fever dream BS is this?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
What type of fever dream BS is this?
Dream? Disney is acquiring. With FOX IPs they will have a lot of popular movies under their belt. They could potentially put out a huge blockbuster every 2 weeks throughout the entire year. Not many studios can actually compete with that. It'll be interesting to see how the shape of entertainment goes the bigger Disney gets.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Dream? Disney is acquiring. With FOX IPs they will have a lot of popular movies under their belt. They could potentially put out a huge blockbuster every 2 weeks throughout the entire year. Not many studios can actually compete with that. It'll be interesting to see how the shape of entertainment goes the bigger Disney gets.

Disney is not going to buy everyone. Worst case scenario is probably a duopoly between them and Comcast/Universal, but I don't really think Warner Bros sells out to either one in the near future either.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
They literally weren't.
The list of upcoming releases has been posted a few times, so I'll just say that 2018 looks like a solid but unspectacular year. I'm interested to see just how well Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse will do though.
So the new CEO isn't gonna sell this division? O_o
There are a lot of M&A speculation going on, so far it has been suggested that SPE should merge/acquire with CBS, Lionsgate, or get sold off. Nothing remotely concrete on this front though.
Just making a joke I know they havent been on fire for a while now lol
Okay, so you just threw in a bad and more importantly inaccurate joke in the OP because?
Is Jack Black back for Goosbumps 2?
Yes.

OP
OP
ReginOfFire

ReginOfFire

Oct 29, 2017
They literally weren't.
The list of upcoming releases has been posted a few times, so I'll just say that 2018 looks like a solid but unspectacular year. I'm interested to see just how well Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse will do though.

There are a lot of M&A speculation going on, so far it has been suggested that SPE should merge/acquire with CBS, Lionsgate, or get sold off. Nothing remotely concrete on this front though.

Okay, so you just threw in a bad and more importantly inaccurate joke in the OP because?

Yes.

Ill remove it if it bothers you that much didnt really mean for all this

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Ill remove it if it bothers you that much didnt really mean for all this
It just kind of sets a bad tone for the thread when SPE has had three straight years of operating profit to say that it's for the first time in a million years, especially when people already have a weird preconception of SPE as the dumpster fire studio (which in actuality would be Paramount).

And while we're at misconceptions, the second season of The Crown was probably just as responsible, if not more, for the profit this quarter as Jumanji (it definitely will help their next quarter though).

Forgot about this the last time 'round:
doesn't seem like much given the size of the company, but then again i am not a CPA
It's not really, which has been the single most compelling argument for a sale. It's also the single most compelling argument for an expansion.
I have no idea where they'll take SPE.

OP
OP
ReginOfFire

ReginOfFire

Oct 29, 2017
It just kind of sets a bad tone for the thread when SPE has had three straight years of operating profit to say that it's for the first time in a million years, especially when people already have a weird preconception of SPE as the dumpster fire studio (which in actuality would be Paramount).

And while we're at misconceptions, the second season of The Crown was probably just as responsible, if not more, for the profit this quarter as Jumanji (it definitely will help their next quarter though).

Forgot about this the last time 'round:

It's not really, which has been the single most compelling argument for a sale. It's also the single most compelling argument for an expansion.
I have no idea where they'll take SPE.

I was really trying to make fun of those people(including myself) who thinks sony is losing money every year but I understand it can be misinterpreted. Ill remove it now

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Most of jumanji is going to be counted for the next quarter. I believe their tv division is what is responsible for this quarter's profit with crown season two and their local sports network subscriptions from India.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017

The future looks great.

Worst timeline. Disney is one the most boring by the numbers studio out there. I will not expect a Blade runner, mad max etc from them anytime. As is it is we have enough terribad MCU and Star Wars movies. We don't need more of that.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
http://deadline.com/2018/02/sony-stock-soars-speculation-sale-film-tv-business-1202277362/

Sony Corp. stock soared today following the news that Chief Executive Kaz Hirai is stepping down from the helm of the Japanese corporation, to be succeeded by Chief Financial Officer Kenichiro Yoshida.

Wall Street observers say the stock movement is a sign of investor speculation that this changing of the guard might open the door to a sale of Sony's entertainment assets. Sony's stock closed at $51.99 Friday, rising 6% in the day's trading at a time when the markets tanked.

However, insiders at the studio say they see no evidence of a shifting corporate strategy under Hirai's No. 2. Sony will continue to look for opportunities to grow its film and television business, whether through acquisition or merger, sources say. There's been no discussion of a sale.

Still, Yoshida is a numbers guy with a more cautious outlook. In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, he said he sees Sony as a technology company — and one that should keep consumer electronics at its core.

Those in the U.S. who know Yoshida describe him as a pragmatic businessman who doesn't regard any part of Sony's business as a sacred cow. That's what has triggered speculation that he might be open to selling — just as former General Electric CEO Jeff Immelt shed the company's media unit to bring GE back to its industrial core.

Said one industry observer: "Kaz was not interested in selling and Yoshida is really not too keen on the entertainment business so everyone (is speculating) that Sony is ready for a sale."

So Sony may be looking to get rid of its film and TV business, despite it being profitable now.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
Doubt Sony sell it. People speculating SPE to be sold once Kaz is going down simply because Kaz is big supporter of them (and TV). But it simply make no sense to simply sell it. Sony is in better position now and those department make money. The movie is crucial for them for content generation and product advertisement.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
http://deadline.com/2018/02/sony-stock-soars-speculation-sale-film-tv-business-1202277362/
So Sony may be looking to get rid of its film and TV business, despite it being profitable now.
Or because it is profitable now. That Deadline piece isn't great tbh, Variety put out the best article of the trades imo:
With Kazuo Hirai Out, Sony's Entertainment Strategy Loses Its Biggest Champion
Less than a month ago, Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai said he wanted to ensure his company was "in the driver's seat," one of the entertainment players able to buy, not be bought. He had once famously declared that there was no "For Sale" sign hanging on the water tower at the Sony Pictures Entertainment lot.
Yoshida, whom Hirai said he had personally recommended to succeed him, said his strategy as CEO would be broadly in line with that of his predecessor. The "vector of my approach" will be the same, but the expression of it will be different, Yoshida said Friday after Sony published its robust third-quarter earnings.

But he offered no specifics. Tellingly, perhaps, he also made almost no reference to Sony's entertainment businesses, including its Picture Division
The fact that Sony's Picture Division has returned to modest profitability could be used as an argument both for keeping and for unloading it. The success of "Jumanji: Return to the Jungle" means that Sony Pictures Entertainment has a healthy new franchise on its hands on top of some other recent hits. Equally, however, getting back in the black makes SPE easier to sell – to someone like Rupert Murdoch, for example.

More so than their Western competitors, many Asian companies continue to espouse the virtues of a conglomerate structure, and to believe in having hardware and software under a single roof. Hirai appeared to believe in that path for Sony, and favored maintaining its entertainment assets as well as its tech ones.
So it's a lot of speculation with not a lot of certainty of where SPE will be going.

Now the only recent comment I could find by Yoshida on SPE is from February last year (and let's be clear he could just be touting the company line):
"We believe in long-term upside potential for pictures," Chief Financial Officer Kenichiro Yoshida said at an earnings briefing, reiterating that Sony continues to regard the business as important to the group.
Pictures' current struggle "partly stems from Sony's focus on short-term profit over many years," Yoshida said.

Citing the sale of rights to Spider-Man merchandise and a Latin American TV channel in fiscal 2011, a number of short-term measures at the cost of long-term profit and cash flow reduced pictures' profitability, he said.

That business, which currently accounts for some 10 percent of Sony's overall sales, can recover through expansion in growing markets such as China as well as by bolstering sales of merchandise after films are released, Yoshida said.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they will sell it. I am actually expecting some sort of acquisition soon. Probably waiting to see how the at&t-Warner deal turns out in court.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny that Kaz is now hailed as the champion of SPE and the entertainment side of Sony because under his reign we heard multiple times how SPE is being sold any minute now, even late last year.

Probably the same people with interest who are stoking the flames again.