• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
AGCM, italian antitrust, issued a 2 million euros fine for Sony because of lacking information and misleading details about PS+ subscription and online play in both the packaging and PlayStation website.

The Authority's investigation pointed out that, as stated in the weekly bulletin, the manufacturer has put in place a conduct "likely to mislead consumers" due to the "lack of information" provided both on the packaging of the Playstation 4 and during the process of buying video games through Playstation Store "in order to a relevant element of the characteristics of the products, concerning the need to have to underwrite a paid subscription to use the console and video games in multiplayer online mode".

In this way, therefore, the "economic behavior of the consumer" is falsified "to an appreciable extent", which is not informed of the costs to be sustained subsequently. Hence the fine of 2 million euros.

ANSA.IT

Last edited:

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
As much as I hate pay for MP, I thought it said very clearly on the package that ps+ is required for MP.
In any case, I hope they fine them all for paid MP (sony, ms and nintendo) so it ends lol

But I guess that €2 million is a drop in the ocean compared to what they actually make from ps+ and the other programs.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
The fine seems pretty inconsequential to a company the size of Sony, but at least they're getting slapped for it.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Be nice to know the actual details of why they did wrong and how MS or Nintendo are ok!?

OP
OP
Rodjer

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I don't feel misleaded. Why are they making things up?

This is Antitrust, they are not making things up, if you know italian go to page 230 and start reading http://www.agcm.it/dotcmsdoc/bollettini/2019/2-19.pdf

That's what I don't understand - how do they differ to MS and Ninty? For me it's clear.

This is talking about Sony, no one brought Nintendo or MS.
I don't know why people here are comparing themselves to the mainstream audience, it is not "CLEAR" as shown in the documents.

As much as I hate pay for MP, I thought it said very clearly on the package that ps+ is required for MP.

The PS+ section is a small square and the "you need to subscribe to play" is even smaller.
This is what AGOM is talking.

PS4 packaging, no sign of PS+ in the front.
hFVJEJB.png

From 2015 the actual description of PS+ is small and misleading according to AGCOM

g4tUuIx.png

Last edited:

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
November 2013 packaging, no sign of PS+ in the front.
hFVJEJB.png
Seems they don't know what they are looking at then, as that's not a November 2013 launch PlayStation. It's a PlayStation Slim from late 2016.

Edit: Okay, translation error. They are comparing that box to the launch PS4.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rodjer

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Seems they don't know what they are looking at then, as that's not a November 2013 launch PlayStation. It's a PlayStation Slim from late 2016.

My bad i did a mistake in the translation, they are not claiming that this is the 2013 packaging, but the PS4 launch has the same packaging of this photo in Italy.

riceve-una-ps4-per-natale-nella-scatola-trova-blocco-legno-con-disegnato-pene-v4-247972-1280x720.jpg

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

It doesn't say that particular box is an original PlayStation 4 launch console. It says PlayStation 4 is sold to the public since November 2013.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In any case, I hope they fine them all for paid MP (sony, ms and nintendo) so it ends lol

But I guess that €2 million is a drop in the ocean compared to what they actually make from ps+ and the other programs.
Consider how much PS+ is earning, I wonder if Sony would rather pay 2 million Euro if it means they don't need to make changes?
Obviously that is unlikely, usually the fine comes on top of making the changes that makes it legal again, rather than leaving things as is.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Good. The fine should probably be more though. Last year I was also wondering about the Fortnite bundle, but unfortunately couldn't find proper accurate information about it then. They bundled the console with "Fortnite", but I couldn't discover if it was only the f2p battle royale or did it include the Save the World portion too. As if it was only the f2p Battle Royale mode, I feel it's quite misleading. There should be clear "game not included" if it's not the paid version, but only offers goodies for the BR mode.

Last edited:

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I looked at the document and basically they think the PS+ requirements are written too small on the packaging and they're not clear enough on the PS store. It's a pretty detailed explanation and they also mention previous court cases about deceptive advertising.

e.g.

Join PS+ for free games and online multiplayer!*

*PS+ requires a subscription

That's NOT a good way to inform the consumer, and they're right. It's just a way to hide the bad part as much as possible without lying.

Oct 25, 2017
Would physical versions of No Man's Sky be misleading, as the game didn't have multiplayer at launch but now has it patched in? Pretty much all game cases have "playstation plus subscription required" on the part where it says how many players can play, but No Man's Sky will not have that notice.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Sounds like Italy is hurting economically. I mean if this is really a problem since it launched why did they wait so long?

I mean I guess things are different there because PS+ being required is all over in the US.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Edit: Some of the posts here seem like they are accusing Italian authorities of being "Xbots" and "Nintendrones"
Seems like the posts are curious what the difference between the boxes are to me. How would anyone know what's unacceptable without knowing what the standard is? But let's go with your idea.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
How do I appeal to my local authorities in Malaysia to fine them for the Plus issue too for PS5 at launch day?
I know Sony Malaysia will give us the highest possible price just for the box so I want to give them a warm welcome.

Oct 25, 2017
How fucking dare those fucking assholes fine my beloved Sony, but not Arrogant Microsoft or KIDtendo. Let's fucking rise up on Italy and take revenge

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Sounds like Italy is hurting economically. I mean if this is really a problem since it launched why did they wait so long?

I mean I guess things are different there because PS+ being required is all over in the US.

What? Hahahahahaha Italy's economy is better now than 6-7 years ago and this definitely would not be the solution.

There are a number of violations tech companies should pay for it here (not just Italy but EU) and for many years we gave a pass.