• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
https://www.funimation.com/blog/201...tworks/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=102017

An update from your friends at Funimation:

It's official. The deal has closed for Sony Pictures Television Networks to acquire Funimation — and we're incredibly excited!

We're still the Funimation you've known and grown up with, and now with the power of Sony, and with Gen at the helm, we have the opportunity to bring the best anime to even more fans across the world.

Thank you for watching!

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Hopefully not much changes content wise because things have been going pretty well so far, maybe in the future they could integrate the animation service into Vue.

Last edited:

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody know what exactly this means in the end for the viewers?
I personally care the most about shows actually being made and being available with Japanese audio and subtitles.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Will Sony finally force Funimation to stop region blocking? I can't even read this on their website.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is they will try to secure some exclusive content deals for their PlayStation Vue service.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I bought those Yu Yu Hakusho blu rays already.

Also, fuck anything Sony related that's not the Playstation.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember when SONY brought Xam'd: Lost Memories to the PS Store on the PS3.

Good times

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Just as long as VRV remains a good deal with Funi and Crunchy on the combo-pack, I'm totally kosher with this.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I remember when SONY brought Xam'd: Lost Memories to the PS Store on the PS3.

Good times

Damn...Xamnd?! Shit it doesn't seem like that long ago when they did that PS3 promotion too...it was when i was still in my "Eureka seven is god and everything created by the same team is god" phase.

Glad I bought those Yu Yu Hakusho blu rays already.

Also, fuck anything Sony related that's not the Playstation.

Dont you mean "fuck eveything that is not SIE related"? :P

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Its basically like Disney buying Marvel. No leadership changes, the company remains the same but they're now going to try and branch out to other countries under Sony's wider umbrella and also seem to be interested in doing more for theatrical releases. Aniplex is not involved it seems. Other than that not much has seriously changed.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oooh, it will be interesting if they bring the brand to other languages for more varied Dubs. I feel like lately the Latin American dubs have been lacking.

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
From what I know, nothing is changing in Funi's licensing or distribution model. If anything, this deal might even pave way for Blood+ to FINAAAAALLY get re-released.

I wouldn't worry about it. They aren't gonna turn into a dipshit company like Aniplex anytime soon.

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
That would be my worst nightmare. :*(

Lol, did you see what they did with Garden of Sinners? After cockblocking the series behind a $450 paywall, now they're offering it exclusively on Anime Strike. It's like they WANT to be pirated. I tell you what though, when Aniplex is concerned, a region-free blu-ray player goes a looooong way:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IIK6C74/?tag=e100-21
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DNWX1HU/?tag=e100-21
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WX6KHVG/?tag=e100-21

Just a few examples lol.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, did you see what they did with Garden of Sinners? After cockblocking the series behind a $450 paywall, now they're offering it exclusively on Anime Strike. It's like they WANT to be pirated. I tell you what though, when Aniplex is concerned, a region-free blu-ray player goes a looooong way:
I'm a physical media person, and an anime collector, so I know this pain all too well. :(

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State

This is what I fear with a Sony buyout. I don't think much will change but that dosen't change the fact of possibility.

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
This is what I fear with a Sony buyout. I don't think much will change but that dosen't change the fact of possibility.
Funi is the #1 distributor of anime stateside at the moment, with pretty much the only successful business model that caters to large scale retailers' demands. They won't screw with an established market. Only once sales hit a peak low will you start to see changes - maybe for the better, maybe for the worse.

I think with the up-and-coming prevalence of companies like Aniplex and Ponycan, most casual anime fans just expect doom and gloom, when they really need to see that Aniplex and Ponycan specifically cater to dipshits willing to pay their prices. Read: About twelve or thirteen people on Anime News Network. They too have an established business model that needs no changing: Fuck everyone else over as long as a few rich idiots are willing to pony up.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
From what I know, nothing is changing in Funi's licensing or distribution model. If anything, this deal might even pave way for Blood+ to FINAAAAALLY get re-released.

I wouldn't worry about it. They aren't gonna turn into a dipshit company like Aniplex anytime soon.

Blood+? After all this time? Really? Sign me up then...that was a nice series...same with Blood Last Vampire obviously, classic. They can keep Blood C though
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IIK6C74/?tag=e100-21
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DNWX1HU/?tag=e100-21
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WX6KHVG/?tag=e100-21

Just a few examples lol.

Well to be fair KnK has been out for an absurdly long amount of time. To even know about it now, you would have had to use unscrupulous sources at some point to even get to watch it without paying an arm and a leg. I did it with all of the movies starting waaay back when i was just leaving high school, but i made up for it by taking my best finger off to pay for that damn limited collectors edition when i actually got the money

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
Blood+? After all this time? Really? Sign me up then...that was a nice series...same with Blood Last Vampire obviously, classic. They can keep Blood C though

Well to be fair KnK has been out for an absurdly long amount of time. To even know about it now, you would have had to use unscrupulous sources at some point to even get to watch it without paying an arm and a leg. I did as all of the movies, but i made up for it by taking my best finger off to pay for that damn limited collectors editon
Eh, Funi licensed Blood C to begin with. But yeah, Blood+ really needs to show up again. Even back during the official release it was stupidly difficult to find the series as a whole because they made so few copies of the first box set, yet a hilarious amount of overstocked copies of the second set. In the end, I got LUCKY by finding the DVDs in a going-out-of-business sale of some small time DVD rental place. And that the second box set was empty enough to fit the part 1 discs lol.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Funi is the #1 distributor of anime stateside at the moment, with pretty much the only successful business model that caters to large scale retailers' demands. They won't screw with an established market. Only once sales hit a peak low will you start to see changes - maybe for the better, maybe for the worse.

I think with the up-and-coming prevalence of companies like Aniplex and Ponycan, most casual anime fans just expect doom and gloom, when they really need to see that Aniplex and Ponycan specifically cater to dipshits willing to pay their prices. Read: About twelve or thirteen people on Anime News Network. They too have an established business model that needs no changing: Fuck everyone else over as long as a few rich idiots are willing to pony up.

I agree with you and was mostly just speaking my mind. As I said, I don't expect change anyway. I also agree on Ponycan and Aniplex, they are extremely hostile to the casual market and cater only to the most devoted fans. Although, Aniplex has been playing with standard editions recently.

I imagine that this means that Sony bought out the remainder of the contract that Funi had with Universal for distribution, though I'm sure that Your Name is still going to come out via Universal since it's too close to release to change anything.

Scavenger

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I agree with you and was mostly just speaking my mind. As I said, I don't expect change anyway. I also agree on Ponycan and Aniplex, they are extremely hostile to the casual market and cater only to the most devoted fans. Although, Aniplex has been playing with standard editions recently.
To be fair, Aniplex has made their content very accessible to the casual audience, just not on physical home video formats. Aniplex titles are on many streaming services.