• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 2, 2021
m5mQXGOY_o.jpg

5OGT6AlK_o.jpg

O93xBWWP_o.jpg

A total of 3.3 million PlayStation 5 units were shipped during the three months ended June 30, 2023, which is up 0.9 million from the same period the previous fiscal year.
Here are a couple of additional statistics:
  • There are 108 million monthly active users on PlayStation Network as of June 30, 2023, which is up five million from the 103 million active users during the same period the previous fiscal year.
  • PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 software combined sold 56.5 million units during the three months ended June 30, 2023, which is up 9.3 million from the 47.2 million software sold during the same period the previous fiscal year. 6.6 million units were first-party titles, which is the same amount sold during the same period the previous fiscal year. 72 percent of software sales were full game software digital downloads, which is down seven percent from the same period the previous fiscal year.

- 3.3 million units shipped (41.7 million LTD)
- 47.4 million PS+ subs
- 108 million MAU on PSN
- 56.5 million games sold for PS5/PS4, 6.6 million were 1st party titles
- 72% digital ratio in Q1

Source1
Source2

Last edited:

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile Respawn and Rockstar announce PS4 games. Respawn is even worst with their port of Survivor probably not releasing till '24.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
21.7 million more PS5s to go to hit their goal of 25 million. With the way things are shaping up with sales in multiple regions, Q2 should be massive. Then we have Spider-Man 2 dropping in Q3 and the revision launching somewhere in Q2 or Q3.

Good results for SIE.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Almost at 42 million with like 5 months until three years since launch. Sales should be even higher with the recent price cuts, Spider-Man 2, remodeled hardware, and the holiday season. Great stuff

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
is their financial services their insurance or whatever?

did it go up so much cuz they sold it?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Meanwhile Respawn and Rockstar announce PS4 games. Respawn is even worst with their port of Survivor probably not releasing till '24.

I don't think "even worse" is the way to describe those situations. It's not a bad thing at all.

They both make sense, especially for Rockstar. It's a remaster of a 13-year-old PS3 game. There's literally no reason to spend money developing an extra version of the game for PS4 when you can just develop a PS4 version and cover both install bases, as the game would be identical on both anyway.

The Respawn situation is definitely a little more noteworthy but I highly doubt that will become a common occurrence and I expect Jedi to be one of the very few AAA current gen releases that later gets ported down to PS4. These games have simply become expensive as hell to make and that extra revenue stream is good for Respawn.

It's also a much more preferable way to handle cross gen games: fully focus on the current gen version and then port it after, which should alleviate fears that the current gen version is hampered by it.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
71% digital...

We're fucked lol 😂

i'd like to know if that's unit sales or in terms of gross revenue.

meaning, i wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to start forming a narrative of digital sales are the way of the future by not showing the full picture.

edit: this is not the case. it's just not mentioned.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Physical fam, our days are numbered 😭
Im kinda glad Sony's seemingly teasing a optional separate disc drive accessory - Im honestly fine with going down that road for a future console, mainly for my back catalogue of stuff I already have physically. Would suck to have to get it all again if I wanted to play it on newer consoles.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
thanks for the clarification. that number is interesting but it's annoying we don't know the split in terms of digital revenue and physical revenue.
We do, 153 Billion Yen for Digital games sold and 24 Billion Yen for Physical games. Both are an increase (50 Billion and 5 Billion respectively) Year over Year.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
We do, 153 Billion Yen for Digital games sold and 24 Billion Yen for Physical games. Both are an increase (50 Billion and 5 Billion respectively) Year over Year.

does the 153 billion yen come from games-only or is that a catch-all for digital business? sorry - looked through the sources and can't find this myself.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
So..

Physical: 24B JPY
Digital: 153B JPY
Addon: 212B JPY

..yeah physical is getting a little less relevant lately isn't it?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
great! thank you. the add-on content and split with normal game sales was what i was most curious about. and that is pretty incredible. 212 billion yen in dlc is more than digital and physical game revenue combined.
Yeah, we live in a world where at least on PlayStation people spend more money on overpriced $20 skins than they spend on actual games.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Hardware sales is up 50!!! Percent.

That is an absolutely bonkers number.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Im kinda glad Sony's seemingly teasing a optional separate disc drive accessory - Im honestly fine with going down that road for a future console, mainly for my back catalogue of stuff I already have physically. Would suck to have to get it all again if I wanted to play it on newer consoles.

Yeah I'd be okay with that too. If not I'd just have to keep the console forever like I did with the PS3 and PS2 lol But there's no denying that digital really is taking over.

Jim Ryan needs to break the emergency glass and release PS All-Stars 2 to save Playstation.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish Sony updated software sales numbers like Nintendo.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we live in a world where at least on PlayStation people spend more money on overpriced $20 skins than they spend on actual games.
That world has been everywhere for over a decade, and its dominated mobile and PC even longer.
The first GaaS succes that paved the way for all this dates a bit over 20 years ago, afterwards it was all downhill.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Seems 50 millions units by year end is a given. That really starts to be a decent baseline for games to sell well on current gen. Rockstar can bring GTA VI now (a GTAV 10 year anniversary annoucement would be classy)