• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Revenue - 2,062.5 billion yen ($18,244,875,000)
Operating Income - 204.2 billion yen ($1,805,944,800)
Profit - 130.9 billion yen ($1,157,679,600)

Gaming:

Sales increased 35.4% year-on-year (a 25% increase on a constant currency basis) to 433.2 billion yen. This significant increase was primarily due to an increase in PlayStation®4 ("PS4") software sales including sales through the network, the impact of foreign exchange rates, as well as an increase in PS4 hardware sales.

PS4 HW and SW doing great as usual. HW Shipments at 67.5m.

Movies:

Sales increased 27.0% year-on-year (a 17% increase on a U.S. dollar basis) to 244.0 billion yen. The significant increase in sales on a U.S. dollar basis was primarily due to higher sales in Motion Pictures and Media Networks. Motion Pictures sales increased significantly due to the strong worldwide theatrical performance of Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Marvel saving the dumpster fire that is Sony Pictures.

Music:

Sales increased 37.5% year-on-year (a 32% increase on a constant currency basis) to 206.6 billion yen. This significant increase in sales was mainly due to higher Visual Media and Platform sales and higher Recorded Music sales. Visual Media and Platform sales increased significantly due to the continued strong performance of Fate/Grand Order, a game application for mobile devices.

The power of waifus in Japan is second.

Sony Earnings Release

Future Outlook

Reuters

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Sony Corp lifted its full-year operating income forecast on Tuesday, expecting to book its highest-ever profit due to strong sales of image sensors used in smartphones and other devices.

The electronics firm forecast profit of 630 billion yen ($5.57 billion) for the year ending March, from 500 billion yen estimated three months ago.

Meeting the new forecast would mean Sony exceeding its previous record of 526 billion yen set in the year ended March 1998, when strong sales of consumer electronics including its first PlayStation games console coincided with its box-office hit "Men in Black".

A business overhaul refocusing on image sensors and games under Chief Executive Officer Kazuo Hirai has moved Sony out of a decade of doldrums and boosted the firm's stock price to nine-year highs.

DomsPlaying

Oct 25, 2017
NJ & NYC
4.2 million shipped, lifetime 67.5 million checks out by my calcs. Looks like a boost in guidance for the full-year as well from 18 million last quarter to 19 million this time around?

This chart below shows quarterly shipped, from its Supplemental Data document.

P8y31ID.png

P8y31ID

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
For once their movies segment does decent (thanks to Marvel but still). $1.2 billion is a pretty decent profit amount for a quarter. Q3 is going to be interesting.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Kaz has really done an amazing job of turning things around. Shit was looking pretty dire before the PS4.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Great news for Sony.

Sigh, I still remember trying to scrape together some money to buy Sony stock years ago when it hit its lowest point. Too bad I couldn't get the money together... or figure out how the frack to buy stocks, lol.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
from Reuters article also:

Hoping to grow future profit pillars, Sony has been boosting investment in artificial intelligence to catch up with U.S. tech giants such as Amazon Inc and Alphabet Inc's Google.

Sony this month unveiled its Xperia Hello! voice-activated communication robot. It is also widely expected to revive robotic pets, similar to robotic dog AIBO that went on sale in 1999.

In sensors, the business is trying to crack into the lucrative automotive market, where demand for sensors is rising as an increasing number of cars are mounted with autonomous driving functions based on sensing technologies.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Sales increased 37.5% year-on-year (a 32% increase on a constant currency basis) to 206.6 billion yen. This significant increase in sales was mainly due to higher Visual Media and Platform sales and higher Recorded Music sales. Visual Media and Platform sales increased significantly due to the continued strong performance of Fate/Grand Order, a game application for mobile devices.

Sure+cant+wait+until+all+might+vs+afo+_215067026246fd7ec46b58bb75849773.gif

The queen is pleased

zomgbbqftw

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I'll do a write up in this thread after 9am in London once I've had a coffee, turned my computer on and had a chance to read it. However, my initial take is that this is the strongest set of results and forecasts I've ever seen from Sony.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I'll do a write up in this thread after 9am in London once I've had a coffee, turned my computer on and had a chance to read it. However, my initial take is that this is the strongest set of results and forecasts I've ever seen from Sony.

Hope you don't mind, but it's nice to see you again and since you'll be doing more financial stuff it seems I'm gonna make you my first follow lol.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I am really hoping Sony Mobile can pull their heads out of their arses and knock it out of the park next year with their phones. They already have phones with top notch performance, incredibly fast software releases and IMO some great, unique features. They just need to be faster at reacting to market trends now. I love my XZ Premium but I would have been perfectly happy skipping this year and waiting for next if my old phone hadn't died. I mean, my XZ Premium is using a basic design that was leaked in the December 2014 hack:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/04/1...agship-multiple-official-concept-images-leak/

I know the R&D budget may not be there for mobile, but I hope they can innovate faster.

Anyways yeah, Sony are doing a great job these days with their tech. Digital imaging, they seem to be leading the pack in innovation. TV they've put out a great lineup this year. Gaming, well yeah not much needs to be said there. Glad they're going back into unique items along the lines of AIBO as I'm excited to see what great things they can come up with.

KNECHT

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PS4 is a beast.

More than 67 millions... I think they're going to surpass the 18 million prediction

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for Sony and especially for their Playstation brand as this profit hopefully translates to more Sony Studios.

A man can dream lol

WaqarYounis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So happy to see Sony successful. Has been a huge fan since original PlayStation. Keep bringing us those amazing SP experiences. Keep investing in PlayStation brand.

DomsPlaying

Oct 25, 2017
NJ & NYC
From the earnings call:

There are 26.4 mil PS Plus users as of March. No update since. 40% of overall users are members of PS Plus.

(Unlike Microsoft which reports Xbox Live users every quarter, Sony doesn't do the same to my knowledge so this is the best we've got.)

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Increasing Software AND Hardware PLUS Favourable Exchange Rate?

Must be Good news to all!

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
great to see you back.

Wishing to see you making OP from next time.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy the PS4 does well, especially after seeing the PGW conference yesterday and seeing Sony's continuous investment in AAA SP titles. It seems that consumers also think that's a good complement to the GAAS games from the third-party publishers. Which makes the PS4 a good choice for a console, as reflected in its sales.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
From the earnings call:

There are 26.4 mil PS Plus users as of March. No update since. 40% of overall users are members of PS Plus.

(Unlike Microsoft which reports Xbox Live users every quarter, Sony doesn't do the same to my knowledge so this is the best we've got.)
Does MS report Gold members only or gold and silver?

Oct 30, 2017
I'm happy the PS4 does well, especially after seeing the PGW conference yesterday and seeing Sony's continuous investment in AAA SP titles. It seems that consumers also think that's a good complement to the GAAS games from the third-party publishers. Which makes the PS4 a good choice for a console, as reflected in its sales.

And that's why i keep investing in PlayStation. I like BF4 and some other MP but overall i'm a pure SP gamer.