• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021
* US Dollar figures have been converted from Japanese Yen using the Average Exchange Rates provided by Sony in their Earning Releases.
** YoY/QoQ growth is calculated using the original Japanese Yen results.
*** To ensure consistency and avoid confusion, comparisons will be done using the Japanese Yen. Deep Dive analysis will use the US Dollar.
Data Source

Since ArmGunar has (seemingly) left the forum, I was inspired to take keep his tradition alive and make a Sony Financial Results thread.
The thread won't probably be as extensive as his, but I will do my best to expand upon it in the future!
If there are mistakes or if you have any suggestions, please let me know!
This is a work in progress, so the thread will be updated.

Sony_logo.svg

Sony Group Corporation - FY22 Q2 (July - September 2022) Financial Results:

tC8XU8v.png

Revenue: ¥2,751.9B/$19.91B (+16.14% YoY from ¥2369.4B/$21.52B in FY21 Q2)
Operating Income: ¥344B/$2.49B (+8.01% YoY from ¥318.5B/$2.89B - in FY21 Q2)
Net Income : ¥264B/$1.91B (+23.89% YoY from ¥213.1B/$1.94B - in FY21 Q2)

5sX2bDB.png

bJyw7qj.jpg

Game & Network Services (Playstation) FY22 Q2 Financial Results (July-September 2022):
X1joYnZ.png

Gaming & Network Services (PlayStation) Revenue: ¥720.7B/$5.21B (+11.7% YoY from ¥645.4B/$5.86B in FY21 Q2)
Gaming & Network Services (PlayStation) Operating Profit: ¥42.1B/$0.305B (-49.1% YoY from ¥82.7B/$0.751B in FY21 Q2)
  • Biggest Q2 Revenue ever for PlayStation (and for any platform holder)
6JDsvwN.png

Here's a breakdown of PlayStation sales per segment in the last 5 FYs and the share of each segment in this Quarter.

nvb0nDY.png
6qxflpv.png

PlayStation Revenue, Trailing 12 Months

SIE maintained a stable revenue despite the PS5 Shortage and economic headwinds. The 12 months Trailing Revenue is slightly below the all-time record.

gO5Da8z.png

Hardware:
3.3M PS5s shipped last quarter (Vs 4M PS4s in FY15 Q2)

• Flat YoY (3.3M units in Q2 FY21)
  • Shipments grew by 37.5% QoQ (2.4M units in Q1 FY22)
  • 5.7M PS5s shipped this FY, far behind Sony's target for the Fiscal Year (18M consoles)
  • 25M PS5s shipped LTD (Vs 29.3M PS4s in the same timeframe)
Launch aligned, PS5 is currently lagging behind PS4 by units 4.3M units.
KsPsrtm.png

Software:
62.5M Full PS4/PS5 Games sold, a significant 18.19% decrease YoY (Down from 76.4M in FY21 Q2). Full Games Software unit sales increased 32.42% QoQ.
  • Digital Games accounted for 63% of full games sales in FY22 Q2 (flat YoY, 62% in FY21 Q2)
  • 6.7M First Party Games were sold (down from 7.6M in FY21 Q2), accounting for 10.72% of the total Games sold in FY22 Q2 (Up from 9.95% in FY21 Q2)
Here's a breakdown of the PS4/PS5 Full Games Sold highlighting the Physical/Digital Split.
This is the 11th quarter in a row where Digital outsold Physical.

fFJraVv.png

Here's the distribution of 1st and 3rd party games sold on PlayStation!
uMddNFF.png

The following graph showcase the Average Price of a Full Game purchased from the PS Store.
nKM57e4.png

Network Services and PlayStation Plus:

PlayStation Plus had 45.4M subscribers
  • a 3.81% YoY decrease (Down from 47,2M in FY21)
  • a 4% YoY decrease (Down from 47,3M in Q1 FY22)
Even with PS Plus subscribers' count decrease, the Network Services segment achieved ¥117.01B record Sales in Q2 and in any quarter!
The growth is probably driven by the Service Revamp and Exchange Rates
zgyO5aW.png

Last edited:

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Great OP! Yeah it definitely seems like they're spending quite a bit and that the exchange rates are really eating at their profits. Excellent revenue but the gaming industry really needs to get some software out there, seems like the pandemic boom is really leveling off

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Biggest Q2 in revenue for any platform holder is nuts, especially at this time.

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021
Hm they sold 5.7m PS5 in Q1+Q2, they need to sell over 12m units in Q3+Q4 to reach their target of 18m PS5 for this year.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most interesting data is the fact the PS+ suscribers are lower (45,4 million vs 47,2 million) but the network services sales are higher (117 billion yen vs 100 billion yen). This suggest the launch of Extra/Premium make it for the loss of members (for now).

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Will be interesting to see if they can hit the target. Sounds like production has ramped up quite a bit recently.

25 million PS5s means that it has outsold the original xbox and the gamecube now.

Last edited:

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
One of the most interesting data is the fact the PS+ suscribers are lower (45,4 million vs 47,2 million) but the network services sales are higher (117 billion yen vs 100 billion yen). This suggest the launch of Extra/Premium make it for the loss of members (for now).

Yeah part of that is probably the exchange rates helping out the revenue stream, but it's clear that Extra and Premium are at least pulling in a decent bit more money for them than plus was by itself. The decrease in subs is likely due to the non-extra members pulling out for a bit because there haven't been many big multiplayer games released and there are plenty of free to plays, also engagement hours seem down across the board in the industry. We'll see if games like MW2 and the holiday season can make the subscriber numbers rebound.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
Great OP! Yeah it definitely seems like they're spending quite a bit and that the exchange rates are really eating at their profits. Excellent revenue but the gaming industry really needs to get some software out there, seems like the pandemic boom is really leveling off
Whilst fx is eating at their profits, it's also boosting revenue.

I think it's good numbers in general, fx impact is a very important factor to try and account for. Software revenue and engagement is looking weak at the moment.

Fortunately for them and MS, both Fifa and COD are doing well.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hm they sold 5.7m PS5 in Q1+Q2, they need to sell over 12m units in Q3+Q4 to reach their target of 18m PS5 for this year.

No doubt they've got a BUTTLOAD of PS5's ready to move this holiday on the back of God of War and other notable releases like CoD.

If the rumored 30.5 million PS5's next FY is accurate then maybe it's a gradual ramp up as we move from a supply constrained period to a "let's make as many consoles as Humanly possible" period.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Whilst fx is eating at their profits, it's also boosting revenue.

I think it's good numbers in general, fx impact is a very important factor to try and account for. Software revenue and engagement is looking weak at the moment.

Fortunately for them and MS, both Fifa and COD are doing well.

Absolutely. And as you said, Fifa and COD seem very strong this year, which should help their Q3 software numbers. Like you said (and MS also stated in their report) engagement hours have been pretty rough these last few quarters. Could just be a wind down from the pandemic finally settling in, though I think a weak release schedule from April-September certainly exacerbated things

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
what happened to the usual person that does these sony report threads?
forgot the name but pretty sure the avatar is different from OP so ima assume it's not the same person

edit: oh it's stated he might've left

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
PS5 is selling really well like the previous generations. Wouldn't be surprised if it surpasses PS2's record if they can solve the stock problem.

Nov 21, 2017
Absolutely. And as you said, Fifa and COD seem very strong this year, which should help their Q3 software numbers. Like you said (and MS also stated in their report) engagement hours have been pretty rough these last few quarters. Could just be a wind down from the pandemic finally settling in, though I think a weak release schedule from April-September certainly exacerbated things

Fifa will like stay strong this holiday too especially with the World Cup.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Big claims in Sony's financial call, despite PS5 shipments roughly matching the previous year so far, Sony says this is actually above their own expectations, as supply chain limitations lessened substantially, so now they expect to exceed their original 18 million shipment target.

They also said Spider-Man Remastered is the fastest selling PC game by Sony

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Big claims in Sony's financial call, despite PS5 shipments roughly matching the previous year so far, Sony says this is actually above their own expectations, as supply chain limitations lessened substantially, so now they expect to exceed their original 18 million shipment target.

That is...unexpected. To be fair, there do seem to be a LOT of MW2 bundles available in the US, and they are the new model. Will be interesting to see just how many GoW Ragnarok bundles go out there.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
That is...unexpected. To be fair, there do seem to be a LOT of MW2 bundles available in the US, and they are the new model. Will be interesting to see just how many GoW Ragnarok bundles go out there.
They have produced 3 million additional PS5s in Q2 that they haven't shipped. Seems that shipment target was a choice, rather than all they could have done

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021

Ok that's crazy.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, so they need to ship 12 million in the next 2 quarters.
It's not easy but we'll see.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
They have produced 3 million additional PS5s in Q2 that they haven't shipped.

Smart, last year it was clear they were trying to address the holidays in the same way they had the previous quarters instead of stockpiling for November-December, now there should be actual Christmas stock for people to buy.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Man, use some of those billions to beef up your graphs. It's hilarious to me that these huge corporations use a basic ass excel graph with no thoughts to the presentation for basically some of the most important information they give out.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
PS5 is selling really well like the previous generations. Wouldn't be surprised if it surpasses PS2's record if they can solve the stock problem.

It's selling ok enough, but is currently trending behind the PS4 when launch aligned due to component shortages having been an issue throughout the pandemic. Sony has said that they expect the PS5 to surpass the PS4 sales curve during the next fiscal year (April 1, 2023 to March 31, 2024), which would mean they'd have to produce over 23 million PS5's next FY. Tom Henderson has claimed that Sony actually plans to produce 30.5 million PS5's next FY.

The PS2 would be extremely hard to match, but if Sony is really aiming to flood the market to compensate for the shortfalls that occurred due to component shortages then I wonder just how far they may go and for how long. The rumored 30.5 million figure is ludicrously huge, and it'll be several months before we officially learn if that's what they plan to do or not.

If this gen does wind up going longer (ie. up to 2028), and if there is a mid-gen PS5 Pro, then I think they could get into the general ballpark of the PS2. The PS5 just has so much momentum behind it.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
They have produced 3 million additional PS5s in Q2 that they haven't shipped. Seems that shipment target was a choice, rather than all they could have done

Yeah, I thought I saw 6.5 million PS5's produced this quarter. I wonder how many God of War bundles are out there, waiting to be sold.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
guessing they will revise the target?

They actually said they plan to exceed it, seems they are stockpiling 3 million consoles for the holidays

www.reuters.com

Sony hikes FY profit forecast by 4.5% on foreign exchange boost

Sony Group Corp hiked its full-year operating profit forecast on Tuesday by 4.5% to 1.16 trillion yen ($7.84 billion) as the boost from foreign exchange fluctuations at units including the music business offset gaming weakness.

Reuters actually revised that title into a negative one lol. It was something like "Sony beats estimates with 8% rise in profits" before. Outside of gaming profits, the quarter was quite a good one for the company

A much more pessimistic heading compared to the thread title.

It was actually a pretty positive heading (for the company as a whole) until they changed it, talking about how it beat expectations. I dunno why they revised it, since the profit hit was released along with all the other numbers at first. Thing is, both claims are true. They did have a record quarter in revenue and profits did take a big hit, and partly for the same reason in the foreign exchange rates. The company itself had a great quarter though.

Last edited:

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
guessing they will revise the target?
Yes there expecting to exceed it. Crazy.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
PS5s are still not sitting in stores. I've seen some photos online of wal-marts having ps5s sitting on the shelves but I've never seen that in Los Angeles.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
PS5s are still not sitting in stores. I've seen some photos online of wal-marts having ps5s sitting on the shelves but I've never seen that in Los Angeles.

I haven't seen a single one in Northern VA. We have plenty of the other systems, but even a Best Buy employee asked me if I actually owned a ps5 when I went to pick up Valkyrie Elysium a few weeks ago since he wasn't certain they exist in reality.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, so exceeding the 18 million figure eh. Makes me think that 30.5 million figure rumored for next FY might not be so outlandish if they're already this confident in things.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Just think, if the Tom Henderson rumor is true then over the next 18 months we could potentially see more than 42.8 million PS5's shipped in that period of time.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, so exceeding the 18 million figure eh. Makes me think that 30.5 million figure rumored for next FY might not be so outlandish if they're already this confident in things.

The difference between 18 million and 30 million is... large. I don't think they can sell 30 mill but hey go ahead and prove me wrong Sony!

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
The difference between 18 million and 30 million is... large. I don't think they can sell 30 mill but hey go ahead and prove me wrong Sony!

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it as well. 30 million is basically what the Switch did at the height of the Pandemic gaming boom (and not quite, even). That would be a bonkers number when the global economy is likely to go into a recession (though I think they may mean 30 million manufactured instead of 30 million shipped).