• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Can you give us an update on the ¥2 trillion in the investment budget?

Hiroki Totoki:
Yes. We spent almost ¥1.3 trillion by the end of last year. We have one more year.
Watch Sony Group's Morgan Stanley conference from 30:45 to hear it directly.

In 2021:
Sony Group said on Wednesday it will spend 2 trillion yen ($18.39 billion) over the next three years on strategic investments, including a push to expand subscribers to its gaming and entertainment services.
In 2022:
Sony has now revealed it has spent 850 billion yen (roughly $7.4 billion) of its allocated budget, leaving about $10 billion left for further purchases. Sony's current bill includes the substantial $3.6 billion buyout of Bungie, as well as billions in share buybacks.
Now in 2023, Sony has ¥700 billion remaining for investments. This translates to around $5 billion USD.

Sony's investments since the $18.4 billion announcement include the following.

Acquisitions

16 June 2021Somethin' ElseMusic
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
UK
Sony Music Entertainment
[SUP][80][/SUP]​
29 June 2021HousemarqueVideo game
23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
FIN
Sony Interactive Entertainment
[SUP][81][/SUP]​
1 July 2021Nixxes SoftwareVideo game
23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
NED
[SUP][82][/SUP]​
9 August 2021CrunchyrollFilm, television, video on demand
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
USA
$1,175,000,000Sony Pictures Entertainment/Aniplex
[SUP][83][/SUP][SUP][84][/SUP]​
8 September 2021FirespriteVideo game
UK
[SUP][85][/SUP]​
29 September 2021Fabrik GamesVideo game
UK
[SUP][85][/SUP]​
30 September 2021Bluepoint GamesVideo game
USA
[SUP][86][/SUP]​
4 November 2021Som LivreMusic
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
BRA
$255,000,000Sony Music Entertainment
[SUP][87][/SUP][SUP][88][/SUP]​
1 December 2021Bad WolfTelevision
UK
Sony Pictures Entertainment
[SUP][89][/SUP]​
10 December 2021Valkyrie EntertainmentVideo game
USA
[SUP][90][/SUP]​
20 January 2022Ultra RecordsMusic
USA
Sony Music Entertainment
[SUP][91][/SUP]​
1 February 2022LasengleVideo game
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
JPN
Aniplex
[SUP][92][/SUP]​
3 March 2022Industrial MediaTelevision
USA
$350,000,000Sony Pictures Entertainment
[SUP][93][/SUP]​
21 March 2022Haven StudiosVideo game
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
CAN
[SUP][94][/SUP]​
15 July 2022BungieVideo game
USA
$3,700,000,000Sony Interactive Entertainment
[SUP][95][/SUP][SUP][96][/SUP]​
18 July 2022Repeat.ggEsports
USA
[SUP][97][/SUP]​
4 August 2022Right StufFilm, television, e-commerce
USA
Sony Pictures Entertainment/Aniplex
[SUP][98][/SUP]​
29 August 2022Savage Game StudiosVideo game
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
GER
[SUP][99][/SUP]​
25 October 2022PixomondoVisual effects
USA
Sony Pictures Entertainment
[SUP][100][/SUP]​
7 November 2022Beyond SportsSoftware visualization
23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
NED
Sony Electronics
[SUP][101][/SUP]​

Pending Acquisitions
22 September 2021Zee Entertainment EnterprisesFilm, television, video on demand
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png
IND
$1,575,000,000Sony Pictures Entertainment[102]

Stakes

23 June 2021Alamo RecordsmajorityMusic
USA
[SUP][147][/SUP]​
18 October 2021ScopelyminorityVideo game
USA
$500,000,000
[SUP][148][/SUP]​
4 November 2021Devolver Digital5.03%Video game
USA
[SUP][149][/SUP]​
9 November 2021Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing20%Semiconductor
JPN
$500,000,000
[SUP][150][/SUP]​
19 January 2022Ceremony of RosesmajorityMerchandising
USA
[SUP][151][/SUP]​
3 May 2022AccelByteminorityVideo game
USA
[SUP][152][/SUP]​
31 August 2022From Software14.09%Video game
JPN
$122,000,000
[SUP][153][/SUP]​
11 November 2022RapidusminoritySemiconductor
JPN
$7,500,000
[SUP][154][/SUP]​
Some things are missing like Sony's $1 billion investment in Epic Games last year.

Last edited:

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully they don't waste it on a overvalued studio like Bungie 🤢

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Interesting, I've never heard of Rapidus. Never looked into the semiconductor industry in Japan (or never knew it had one).

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah Sony ain't gonna be out here acquiring major publishers, not without some heavy borrowing.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting it doesn't include the amount of $$$ they invested in Epic games

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, you can get 1/14th of Activision Blizzard for that money!

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Boy it's going to look real weird of Sony makes some big gaming moves while arguing against Microsoft.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Bethesda sold for $7.5 billion. This isn't enough to purchase any major or semi major publisher.

And this 5.1 Billion is for all of Sony to spend and not just the gaming division.
All of Sony for the next year, it'll probably mostly go to one or two big purchases at this point. Any publisher size acquisition would take more than that. Not that I think Sony are going to buy one.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'll just quote myself from the PS OT:

On the subject of using their M&A budget to pick up studios like Arrowhead, Deviation, Firewalk, Ember Lab and whatnot... well even Sony acquired all their partner studios combined it would probably only equal a single digit percentage of that 5 billion dollar budget.

My guess is that they may aim for a target that can benefit multiple divisions of Sony Group. For example if they went after Square Enix then they get IP, content and resources that can benefit SIE, Sony Pictures, Sony Music and their anime division. It's a one stop shop.

Kadokawa would also feed into multiple Sony Group divisions.

I maintain my hope that if Sony does go after a publisher that they give 'em the Bungie deal where they sit alongside PlayStation Studios and Bungie under the SIE umbrella and are allowed to continue to publish content on other platforms. It's the healthiest way of handling such an acquisition for everyone involved.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Selfish me says: Maybe invest in a small team to establish a PC interface for the PSVR2 so I'm 1000 times more tempted to get it.

boltz

Banned
Feb 15, 2023
If they were to buy Square Enix, it would be a combo of shares and cash anyway.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Selfish me says: Maybe invest in a small team to establish a PC interface for the PSVR2 so I'm 1000 times more tempted to get it.

That won't happen until they have a proper way to monetize sales of VR content on PC. Otherwise they're just pissing away headsets and money to the PC community with no real way to earn a return on those sales.

Maybe down the road they have a much larger selection of first party content they can sell to the PC community? Maybe they open some sort of PlayStation PC store front to make revenue. Who knows. If the headset's being sold at a loss then they definitely won't add PC support until the can earn revenue off that community.

All of that aside, the budget being talked about here has nothing to do with R&D and whatnot, which would have its own separate budget.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
User Warned: Platform Warring
I maintain my hope that if Sony does go after a publisher that they give 'em the Bungie deal where they sit alongside PlayStation Studios and Bungie under the SIE umbrella and are allowed to continue to publish content on other platforms. It's the healthiest way of handling such an acquisition for everyone involved.

Wait are we against market consolidation and platform holders buying publishers or not? the flip flop between it being ok or not is so weird.

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
Kadokawa is the smartest move, I think. Square-Enix makes a lot of sense too.

Oct 30, 2017
It's nuts to me they paid $3.6 billion for just Bungie when MS straight up bought an entire publisher with all their devs and IPs for ~$7.5 billion with Bethesda.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Hopefully they spend some money on making bigger improvements to their TV lines

And hopefully spend not only more funds but also find better writers, etc for their Marvel movie verse (and other movie IPs and TV shows).

Deleted member 129418

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 26, 2022
I hope they buy Google with all that money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Sounds like enough to buy Take Two. /s

Can't believe that story from a few days ago lmao

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
They are probably losing money on those units and the only way to make money is through VR games on their store. If they just port the Headset to PC, it will take away sales from console players and on top of that lose the guaranteed revenue from VR game sales. It's a lose lose.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
It's nuts to me they paid $3.6 billion for just Bungie when MS straight up bought an entire publisher with all their devs and IPs for ~$7.5 billion with Bethesda.

Sony paid 2.4 billion for Bungie, and the remaining 1.2 billion is meant for employee retention.

Additionally, Bungie are one of the few studios who have been able to create and grow a very successful live service game with Destiny and Destiny 2. They've got valuable experience and data that Sony's going to leverage for their 10+ live service games that they've got incubating. Not to mention Bungie are working on multiple new games and transmedia efforts.

I think the Bungie acquisition is gonna make a helluva lot more sense to folks in the next couple of years.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. Even with Destiny impressive numbers, Sony was ripped off with that purchase. I also generally dislike of the internal drive for GaaS games. I think they don't respect the player time and usually have very limited content that is artificially limited to make people grind them to death.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

They paid a premium to keep a lot of Bungie's top-in-the-industry talent on board, which will pay off when those people help other PlayStation studios build themselves up for GaaS development and support. The acquisition itself was $2.4bn.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like enough to buy Take Two. /s

Can't believe that story from a few days ago lmao

These are merely projected budgets, not hard limits. Every 3 years Sony lays out their projected M&A budget for the upcoming 3 years, and out of the current cycle, they've got 5.1 billion left budgeted for the next year. They can easily choose to exceed that budget should they want to. That doesn't mean they're going after Take Two or anyone else on that scale, but the fact that this M&A budget exists isn't proof that they definitely won't pursue a large scale acquisition.

After the next FY ends on March 31 2024 and they give us their annual report a month later, we should find out what their projected M&A budget will be for the next 3 year window.