• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
They aren't going to confirm/deny a planned marketing beat through a journalist so this doesn't say much really.

At the very least if it isn't BC I hope they patch all the first-party titles (except those by Supermassive as they aren't worth the effort).

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I'm following all this with interest, but I have trouble seeing them get to the point where the software offerings are enough to persuade me to get on board. Honestly, the VR game I want to play most at this point is Astro Bot's Rescue mission. Hopefully they do include back compat because it can only help.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
With how hacked together PSVR is (using existing accessories repurposed), I have no idea how they could make the games Backwards comparable without doing a lot of work on a game-by-game basis. Not sure it would be worth it to call it "backwards compatiblity" if they jsut patch a few games to work for it

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting ps5 launch deja Vu.

I won't be too worried until something is confirmed to not be happening.

I'd be more curious if we'd see performance boosts from vr bc

imagine a boosted Re7 vr

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly doubt it, considering the whole tracking solution and control devices are different.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I think there would have to be some effort from Sony and Developers to make PSVR1 games compatible with the new hardware due to the differences in tracking for one. I hope that if the effort is put in, Sony would lead the way with any first party title and it would be a free patch rather then another $10 upgrade or even a whole rebuy.

I think it is important that Sony does make some effort here to at least get some of the exsisting library over to the new hardware.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
That's probably what going to affect my decision to buy it at launch, or wait. I've barely had time to use my PS VR, and I still want to enjoy it's games.
But... if somehow they manage to make it BC...

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I am quite hopeful the headset will have full backcompat with PSVR1. It would be quite a big fumble if it doesn't, as they'd be losing out on a ton of great games (RE7, Ace Combat, Astro's Playroom etc).

I agree that this doesn't really say much. They are obviously saving the release date info for a bigger reveal down the line, and might be saving backcompat info for that later reveal too.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
They'd be crazy to not let PSVR 1 games work on PSVR 2, to the point where I'd say it's dead on arrival if it doesn't include the compatibility. I'm sure they will include it though, as they know one of the biggest VR titles on their platform (Beat Saber) most likely wouldn't even see a release on PSVR2 due to being owned by Oculus now.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
With how weird the messaging about PS4 backwards compatibility before the PS5 launch was when in the end it turned out to be pretty much perfect for all but a dozen or so titles, I'm cautiously optimistic we will get the same for PSVR (so basically everything except some weird shovelware stuff and Robinson: The Journey).

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
There are a bunch of PSVR titles I'd like to try out on the 2, so I hope it's coming

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
If it isn't BC I hope Sony at least works with other developers to port PSVR's biggest hits to PSVR2. Games like Rec Room, Beat Saber, Resident Evil 7 VR, Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Skyrim VR should absolutely be playable at launch.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
I still would be really surprised if its backwards compatible considering how different the tech and tracking is. But if they can do it then awesoome!

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I really hope they can do it even if I need to use move controllers, DualShock 4s and the camera. I just really want to get rid of the old headset and breakout box.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They way they have been giving out PSVR titles for ps plus users, I'd think it would be backward compatible so users are likely to buy a machine for the games they already have for free.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to guess this is simply a PR department saying they don't have anything to announce because they don't know themselves anyway.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I don't care one way or another, but that's not really a very promising sign that they're refusing to comment on such a simple question like that…

Hopefully it'll have BC though

Bill

Oct 29, 2017
What i imagine will be an option for PS4 VR titles to be updated to the PS5 vr SDK, and with that they become usable on PSVR2 as PS5 apps.
All VR titles currently run as PS4 titles in BC mode which is not the full capability of ps5 and likely cannot function with anything not part of the ps4.

Just how complex migrating to the PS5 VR SDK is will likely determine whether titles get an update. I would also take a guess that any games that took liberties with being standard to ps4 sdk will have trouble being ported over.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
If it comes, I expect it not at launch. They'd have to add some sort of compatibility layer to interpret the PSVR1 tracking into the PSVR2 firmware.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I don't care one way or another, but that's not really a very promising sign that they're refusing to comment on such a simple question like that…

Hopefully it'll have BC though

If info isn't cleared through their marketing Dept they're not gonna say a peep. Any number of things could be in active development and on various time tables and they don't want random employees sticking their foot in their mouths by saying something wrong.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I'm not expecting BC, but for some of the big games either a free compatibility/higher framerate/higher res patch or a $10 sense controller patch.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
They way they have been giving out PSVR titles for ps plus users, I'd think it would be backward compatible so users are likely to buy a machine for the games they already have for free.
Yeah, from a content perspective it would be very stupid if it wasn't BC. They would be completely starting over with developing content for it, as opposed to a BC device having a substantial library from day 1. I'm assuming the "nothing to announce" is because some games will work and some won't, like maybe one's that relied more heavily on camera and move functions.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
it could literally be because they don't plan to include BC, or because they aren't ready as part of their marketing strategy to announce BC, or that they are still testing whether BC is viable. It's a pretty nothing statement at this point. There's nothing really to pivot a discussion off of. People are just going to be guessing.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
I originally wanted to buy the old kit as well but then it started selling for way too much for what it is, now it's not even in stock so I just assumed that BC will be a safe alternative in case things won't improve (and it looks more and more they won't, not until the thing is discontinued anyway...). This recent talk about BC possibly not even being there is worrying...

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I would imagine the only issue will be any titles that used Controller Light Bar tracking.

The new controllers should in theory be able to like replicate the move tracking depending on their solution.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Oh and by the way, I'm not sure it's that trivial either, a lot of PSVR games start with a video feed of you to calibrate tracking/own position. How to emulate it, display nothing and confuse user? I don't think Sony would want something half assed like that.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
With how well PS5 BC worked, and the fact PS5 supports PSVR 1, I would say it's highly likely PSVR2 will play PSVR games.

Most VR games are multiplatform, so it shouldn't be hard to take the control schemes from Quest / PC VR versions of games and patch them into PSVR games. VR developers are pretty good at supporting their games, so I'm sure many will want to patch their games to run on this awesome new headset.

Oct 25, 2017
The tweet says they have nothing further to announce in general. So nothing really to take away from that statement.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect there to be any backwards compatibility with PSVR1 games. The tracking methods and controllers (at least Move vs Sense) are so different.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I wonder if the light bar on the front of the DualSense will enable it to work as a substitute for the games that used DS4

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This will be a deciding factor for me whether to buy it or not. I've never owned a VR headset, but I already have lots of VR games on my account (PS+, giveaways, etc.) that I would like to play.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
I would imagine the only issue will be any titles that used Controller Light Bar tracking.

The new controllers should in theory be able to like replicate the move tracking depending on their solution.
Or games that display camera feed (typically for calibration) or games with dual move (move has more buttons than sense controller, e.g. Dreams have different function for left and right square of either move).

I think in general they will provide some basis to simplify compatibility for old code but I feel devs will still have to do small work on case by case basis and release PSVR2 ver.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
-List games that require camera/controller tracking.
-See if any of those companies are willing to either update them or make PS5 versions for compatibility.
-The ones that can't will just be bound to the sad list, unfortunately.

I think it's likely that first party games will either get compatibility patches or PS5 versions outright if they were popular enough. Otherwise I imagine the PSVR2 SDK/API will have a BC mode where it takes the inputs and translates them to what the PSVR games are looking for so they work.

Moss, for example, is likely going to get a PSVR2 "remaster" leading up to Moss 2. The Persistence PS5 version could also get a PSVR2 mode added in. It's a no-brainer to get the gen 1 stuff working on PSVR2 while waiting for devs to make their games for it.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017

Controller light bar tracking games would probably require a Dual Shock 4 and camera. Move games might depend. Like, there's no reason why Beat Saber couldn't work, but something like Skyrim that uses both sets of face buttons might still require the Move controllers, or some sort of update.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I really hope it is to some degree. I have a launch PSVR and quite a few games that I've barely played as it was too inconvenient to swap HDMI cables every time I wanted to use it (due to not having HDR passthrough). While I've moved my PS4 Pro and PSVR to a non-HDR TV, I don't spend much time there so I still haven't been able to use it much and would be nice to try some of the older games on the PSVR 2.