• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Man did they really need to change the jack for the controller. Why even release a product that is only good for less than a year and not work for your new controller
If you're talking about the paddle attachment, it wouldn't work even if the port was the same. Look at the shape of the ds and ds4 between the 2 handless and the back.

PS Dog

Mar 24, 2018
cats.jpg

STech

Sep 24, 2018
The thing that hype me the most every gen is to try the new controller, specially with the DS4 and now with the DSen

Oct 27, 2017
All depends on perspective I suppose. For example I'll skip the charging thing and get it later. Headset is a day 1 and I'm not too worried about it going on sale - I need it anyway since there are a lot of people in my house. So that's a must get for me no matter what.

I already have cyberpunk pre ordered and will probably pick up an additional 3 games for the ps5 launch. Overall, I'm hyped as hell for next gen
I'm hyped AF too. Got to enjoy moments like these when you can.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
In theory could the pulse headset be used on Xbox series X if you plug the dongle in?

We don't know about the Series X yet, but the One X doesn't support the USB dongle for the existing Gold Wireless headsets. It works, but you need to plug it into the controller with a 3.5mm audio cable.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I have finally found you. The complete opposite version of me. I hate everything this remote is. 90% of the buttons are absolutely useless to me and just becomes a visual mess. Primary issue I have with most TVs sold as well.
Oyyyy. Maybe we can coexist, maybe we can't, not sure.

I use all those buttons, even the color ones. Yellow: Switches receiver to nightmode, Red: puts receiver in stereo ect. ect.

Not a fan of multiple remotes!

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Staring you in the face but not necessarily obvious observations:

DualSense has no hard separator between L1—L2 and R1—R2 so if you use your forefinger for both (rocking/sliding), you may be able to transition more smoothly.

The surface area of L1 and R1 has also grown significantly.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I'm lowkey more hyped about the controller than the console. Praying that all the features are utilised. I want to play doom at 120 fps with Haptics, adaptive triggers and Gyro. I could eat off that alone for months

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if they'll do a USB-C lightbar, and either USB-C or EXT add-on for the next 1:1 tracking solution for games that don't need separated hands.

Oct 27, 2017
The lightbar on the front alone instead of back I would think would give more space for battery pack correct? Hoping this thing can hit 15+ hours on a single charge. My PS4 controllers are all 6ish hours or so.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if they'll do a USB-C lightbar, and either USB-C or EXT add-on for the next 1:1 tracking solution for games that don't need separated hands.

I'm assuming you mean for VR?

I'd hope not. I would think they'd probably just make a good controller that works for both.

Maybe they will do camera tracking with the DualSense.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
The lightbar on the front alone instead of back I would think would give more space for battery pack correct? Hoping this thing can hit 15+ hours on a single charge. My PS4 controllers are all 6ish hours or so.
I think the low micro-usb, RGB LED sub-board and light pipe in DS4 are mostly housed in the extra V-shaped bump under the controller which is smoothed out on DualSense.

I'm assuming you mean for VR?

I'd hope not. I would think they'd probably just make a good controller that works for both.

Maybe they will do camera tracking with the DualSense.
Any lightbar tracking game.

Any new, more advanced 1:1 position tracking solution introduced in a brand new split controller could be added to DualSense with a cheaper add-on.

Last edited:

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

Not sure what battery life it might give but those Taiwan NCC images looks like they show a 1500mAh battery on one of the drawings versus 800mAh on DS4.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I'm lowkey more hyped about the controller than the console. Praying that all the features are utilised. I want to play doom at 120 fps with Haptics, adaptive triggers and Gyro. I could eat off that alone for months

Same. I really want to know what those triggers feel like. The impact triggers in the Xbox One controller are my favourite aspect and this is so much more than that. Shame it's rarely used. Hopefully that's not the case with Dual Sense.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Ooh. Hopefully double but with the haptics maybe a 50% improvement at least. 10-12 hours would be okay I guess. Tho Switch Pro gets 40+ with HD Rumble so who knows.

I was thinking 10 hours would be a realistic expectation. Switch Pro has a 1300mAh for 40+ hours so it could be quite a bit more than 10 hours if Sony improved efficiency?

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Not sure what battery life it might give but those Taiwan NCC images looks like they show a 1500mAh battery on one of the drawings versus 800mAh on DS4.
The external label number is usually max. input charging voltage and current, DC 5V 800mA for DualShock 4, but the battery inside supplies 3.65V with 1000mAh /3.7Wh capacity.

Unless there's a shot of the DualSense battery, all we know is the controller probably supports a higher max. charging current of 1.5A at 5V.

You could speculate about the relation between charging speed and capacity still!

Last edited:

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
The external label number is usually max. charging voltage and current, DC 5V 800mA for DualShock 4, but the battery inside supplies 3.65V with 1000mAh /3.7Wh capacity.

Unless there's a shot of the DualSense battery, all we know is it probably has a higher max. charging current of 1.5A at 5V.

Thanks for the explanation. I just did a quick search and found a cached page about the NCC test that does say the DualSense has a 3.65V/1560mAh battery (Sony LIP1708). If true then it would be a >50% bigger battery than DS4.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Is that a microphone on the back, as well as the one on the front/top?
Looks like it, one of the patents even mentions a third mic in the array. Under the lip of the touchpad would be a good forward-facing location.

Thanks for the explanation. I just did a quick search and found a cached page about the NCC test that does say the DualSense has a 3.65V/1560mAh battery (Sony LIP1708). If true then it would be a >50% bigger battery than DS4.

No more mystery! Unless the developer edition differs, 1560mAh / 5.7Wh is the battery capacity.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
On the DS4 there's already quite a bit of empty room around the battery. The lightbar itself is just a thin sheet of clear plastic on the backside with a connector on the middle of the pcb. My ds4s already hit >10-12hrs with rumble off/dim setting. I'd hope it's much longer than that.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking 10 hours would be a realistic expectation. Switch Pro has a 1300mAh for 40+ hours so it could be quite a bit more than 10 hours if Sony improved efficiency?

I get more than 10 hours on my DS4 and I consider that to be pretty bad. If this isn't 20 hours+ then I'll be very disappointed. :/

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I get more than 10 hours on my DS4 and I consider that to be pretty bad. If this isn't 20 hours+ then I'll be very disappointed. :/

I've not tested my DS4 but I've never had a problem with how long a charge lasts though I rarely play more than 2-3 hour stints these days.

I have read posters here say they only get 5-6 hours and others like you and YouTube videos saying 10+. Going by the latter then I would agree 20+ hours for DualSense should be a lock assuming improved efficiency and capacity.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I've not tested my DS4 but I've never had a problem with how long a charge lasts though I rarely play more than 2-3 hour stints these days.

I have read posters here say they only get 5-6 hours and others like you and YouTube videos saying 10+. Going by the latter then I would agree 20+ hours for DualSense should be a lock assuming improved efficiency and capacity.

if I remember correctly, the v2 controllers that started shipping with PS4 Pro last longer than the v1 launch controllers. With vibration disabled and lightbar set to dim in the settings I get 12 hours. I shouldn't have to disable features though, sort it out Sony ffs.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I just want an all-white or black controller/console. Not a fan of the exo-skeleton look. Seems dated.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

The controller will last you 6-8hrs and most people here don't usually play that long in one sitting. It's that they don't always plug them in when done and the next time they do play and it dies on them, "something needs to be done".