• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Saw this on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/a7aypx/sony_hiring_for_cloud_engineer_possibly_working/

https://boards.greenhouse.io/sonyinteractiveentertainmentplaystation/jobs/1475900

Sony Interactive Entertainment
Cloud Gaming Engineering & Infrastructure
CBE Staff Software Engineer (CDN)

As a part of Sony Interactive Entertainment, the Cloud Gaming Engineering and Infrastructure (CGEI) team is leading the cloud gaming revolution, putting console-quality video games on any device.

As a Staff Software Engineer on the CDN Cloud Engineering team, you'll play a key role in the design and development of distributed systems which will help build a worldwide Content Delivery Network. This is a technical leadership role where you will be leading exciting initiatives and working with talented engineers to deliver cutting edge solutions for our end users.

Responsibilities

• Leads and owns the development and deployment of large features and systems to support CDN functionality
  • Ability to break high-level features into appropriate tasks for other engineers to develop
  • Responsible for designing high-level architectures
  • Triage and fix reported bugs
  • Communicate estimates, schedules, issues and dependencies to project and upper management
  • Works with Test Engineering and QA to own end to end testing for functional/product area
  • Continually brings new ideas about technology to engineering team
  • Mentor other engineers on development best practices
  • Builds and fosters relationships with other CGEI teams to help improve development process and eliminate inefficiencies
  • Collaborate with other engineers or stakeholders in other SIE organizations

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Era:

giphy.gif

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
Cloud gaming is the future. Stuff like xCloud is the way everyone will be playing at one point.

Being able to play any game you own on any device, anywhere you go is absolutely where its going, and they see that now.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I thought Gaikai was supposed to be able to stream to any device? Didn't they used to have PS Now on TVs and phones?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Cloud gaming is the future for the mainstream. Doesn't mean traditional consoles will go away, but this is a huge space that every player needs to invest in to be competitive.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Cloud gaming is the future. Stuff like xCloud is the way everyone will be playing at one point.

Being able to play any game you own on any device, anywhere you go is absolutely where its going, and they see that now.

They have known that for years. It's why they acquired Gaikai and why PSNow is a thing.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It most likely relates to the rumored 5G tablet Sku from Sony. Also that really isnt anything new, sony have been investing in streaming and cloud for YEARS, im actually interested in knowing if there are any plans beyond the services we already know of.

Last edited:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony helping with that FF7 remake? 😯

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
As it's been said before, the entire industry is moving in this direction. Not just Xbox or Google. As long as it's not the only option, it's all good.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
They've been hiring into roles like this for ages. I mean, they've had a cloud department (Gaikai) for several years.

It is true that hiring into that department seems to have ramped up in recent months.

But yes, it is pretty clear that on a technical level, at least, they want to be ready to have a service on 'everything'. But that's been the goal forever.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They've been hiring into roles like this for ages. I mean, they've had a cloud department (Gaikai) for several years.

It is true that hiring into that department seems to have ramped up in recent months.

But yes, it is pretty clear that on a technical level, at least, they want to be ready to have a service on 'everything'. But that's been the goal forever.

It doesn't really feel like PS Now has had much movement until this year though. If anything, the biggest news surrounding PS Now the past couple years is it's removal from devices. I'd almost forgotten about the service entirely until they announced PS4 downloads.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
PS Now streaming device for 99$ would be a good option to counter MS cheaper XCould device.

They saw that years ago tho.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
All I really want from all of this is to be able to remote play on my phone, and have it connect to a ds4. If that happens, then I'm all for it. Otherwise I could really give a shit.

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018

I concur. My thoughts exactly. Gaikai was the future they knew was coming, they were just a bit ahead of the curve. Now.... time to reinvest, and help the vision come to fruition

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

They bought Gaikai for some very specific patents, however the actually technology itself hasn't been superseded by other protocols and techniques.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All I really want from all of this is to be able to remote play on my phone, and have it connect to a ds4. If that happens, then I'm all for it. Otherwise I could really give a shit.

You can already do that now if you have an iPhone. R-Play app, DS4 connects to your PS4, double PSN account trick, DS4 clip from Amazon and you are good to go.

(I've played through God of War, Spider-Man and RDR2 on my iPhone)

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is the pioneer in this space, glad to see they aren't resting on their laurels.
That said, for me, native hardware will always be king.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
You can already do that now if you have an iPhone. R-Play app, DS4 connects to your PS4, double PSN account trick, DS4 clip from Amazon and you are good to go.

Yoooooo. Did not know thanks for this. Gonna look up "double PSN account trick" cause not exactly sure what you mean by this. But yeah, I'll def look into this. Thanks again.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yoooooo. Did not know thanks for this. Gonna look up "double PSN account trick" cause not exactly sure what you mean by this. But yeah, I'll def look into this. Thanks again.

The double PSN account trick is needed since you are remote playing to your PS4 but your DS4 is direct connecting. So what you do is you remote play to a "alternate PSN account" then when you turn on your DS4 controller, you log in to your real PSN account to play games. Basically the R-Play app uses your alternate account for the connection. It's a weird work around but it works.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The double PSN account trick is needed since you are remote playing to your PS4 but your DS4 is direct connecting. So what you do is you remote play to a "alternate PSN account" then when you turn on your DS4 controller, you log in to your real PSN account to play games. Basically the R-Play app uses your alternate account for the connection. It's a weird work around but it works.
Thanks. One more question. I'm seeing there's multiple r play apps in the App Store. Got a suggestion on which one I should pick?

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. One more question. I'm seeing there's multiple r play apps in the App Store. Got a suggestion on which one I should pick?

This one: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/r-play-remote-play-for-ps4/id1222889057?mt=8

When you set up your PS4 profile in the app, you would have it log into your alternate account. Then once it's signed in on your phone, you turn on your DS4 controller, the login will popup again and you can use your main account.

Also, probably obvious, but you need to have really good wifi (I have Orbi), your PS4 should be wired and close enough to you for direct DS4 connection.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm cool with this as long as there's always an offline alternative for people who want better looking and playing games.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't really feel like PS Now has had much movement until this year though. If anything, the biggest news surrounding PS Now the past couple years is it's removal from devices. I'd almost forgotten about the service entirely until they announced PS4 downloads.

Just on a hiring level, if you went to Sony's job pages at any point in the last few years, you'll probably always have seen roles open like this.

But yes, absolutely there's a new 'ramp' going on. There's a lot more openings now, they opened an Austrialian 'gaikai' office recently. It makes sense for them to anticipate increasing adoption and to prepare as competitors enter the field and as we start to transition to another generation.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played a handful of PSNow games from start to end, and had very up and down experiences with each play through. I hope that they can get more data centers going, and possibly get the latency issues fixed up.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
man I don't like where this is going.
Mid gen upgrades, now multiple consoles from the very start.

Not really an issue if multiple devices is offered which can play all the games but mass adoption of cloud based gaming worldwide is too early. I have got like 2MBps speed in good days until another internet revolution hits us.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark

They see that now? But Sony has had cross device game streaming for years already. Why did you word your post like Microsoft will be the pioneers of cross device game streaming with xCloud? lol

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Sony is the pioneer in this space, glad to see they aren't resting on their laurels.
That said, for me, native hardware will always be king.
They saw that years ago tho.

They see that now? But Sony has had cross device game streaming for years already. Why did you word your post like Microsoft will be the pioneers of cross device game streaming with xCloud? lol

They killed off PS Now apps on PS3, Vita, Sony and Samsung smart TVs. Essentially on everything apart from the PS4 and PC.

So, no. They aren't exactly the shining light for "stream your game on every device, everywhere you go".

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Nothing surprising about this, they want to have ps now at as many devices as possible. I will stick to traditional consoles.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017

I've played almost everything on my phone, laptop, projector as well thanks to this.
I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
They killed off PS Now apps on PS3, Vita, Sony and Samsung smart TVs. Essentially on everything apart from the PS4 and PC.

So, no. They aren't exactly the shining light for "stream your game on every device, everywhere you go".
They did that before which means they saw how important it was years ago way before MS or Google did which is what I said. shutting it off (most definitely temporary since they'll push it again in the next few years) to cut cost doesn't stop them from being the first to saw how important it's or being the pioneer of streaming games on any device.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man I don't like where this is going.
Mid gen upgrades, now multiple consoles from the very start.

Not really an issue if multiple devices is offered which can play all the games but mass adoption of cloud based gaming worldwide is too early. I have got like 2MBps speed in good days until another internet revolution hits us.
The more options the better. Gaming is no longer one way of playing.

Oct 27, 2017

Lol That doesn't prove anything. Sony still was going this on all of those platform as well as cross play on mobile phones long before this became a thing. Your opinion on whether they did a good job or not isn't valid here.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It was only a matter of time before they started to play catch up again. They had the technology and just kind of did nothing with it after the Vita failed.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
The more options the better. Gaming is no longer one way of playing.
Technically, gaming never has been...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This isn't surprising at all. I just want a good service from all the platform holders at a good competitive price. :)