• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Hate to tell anyone I told you so, but Sony is clearly more prepared for the next generation of cloud and streaming than pundits and naysayers believe.

Exciting times.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Gaikai was supposed to be able to stream to any device? Didn't they used to have PS Now on TVs and phones?
Yeah, they did for awhile, but they pulled it for some reason. It's PS4 and Windows PC only at the moment, with PS4 having a download option for PS4 games. My guess is they'll slowly start expanding it out to other platforms and getting it up in the other regions it's not currently available in over the next couple years.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
They killed off PS Now apps on PS3, Vita, Sony and Samsung smart TVs. Essentially on everything apart from the PS4 and PC.

So, no. They aren't exactly the shining light for "stream your game on every device, everywhere you go".
Those devices are reaching their end of life support so it is safe to say the resources to maintain those are being moved elsewhere. Their goal from the start was to enable cross device streaming from TV, Smartphone, Tablets and computers and consoles.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
They killed off PS Now apps on PS3, Vita, Sony and Samsung smart TVs. Essentially on everything apart from the PS4 and PC.

So, no. They aren't exactly the shining light for "stream your game on every device, everywhere you go".
Compared to who? Who else has tried to expand streaming on all these devices?
This hiring just proves they have not given up on the idea.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please let this mean that next-gen consoles will just let me play my games anywhere. I'd be able to squeeze in a ton of extra gaming time if I could work through PS4/Xbox titles like I do games on my Switch.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I want even better Remote Play, Share Play and PSNow.
I'm only interested in Remote Play and Share Play.

It's funny seeing ppl still dismiss PSNow, or act like Sony wasn't already leading the way with game streaming.

Major things they changed was take it off devices and allowed downloads.

If they put it on more devices, it'll be they way it was at first.
"putting console-quality video games on any device." Phil Spencer said exactly this on E2018
And Sony's been doing it since they launched PSNow....lol And to an extent with Remote Play.

What is even happening in here....

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will probably be the way I go with next-gen if given the option. As it is, I barely touch my PS4, and probably won't buy a next-gen console. The Switch just suits my lifestyle better. That being said, if there's a $99 console out there that lets me stream new games, I'd be in.

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
They see that now? But Sony has had cross device game streaming for years already. Why did you word your post like Microsoft will be the pioneers of cross device game streaming with xCloud? lol

I meant it as, they see its happening relatively soonish. PSNow has been around for years yes, but it wasnt supported at all for a long ass time to the point where TVs that had the app no longer have it. Like mine. PSnow hasnt been then and isnt now "a success". Doing something innovative is nice but its not about doing it first, its about doing it right.

Theres all kind of stories of companies doing something first only to have someone else come in, take the idea, and do it better.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They already have multi-device game streaming, if anything they are making improvements. You can already stream to your PC, and they use to have it to smart TV's. Maybe they are setting up to reintroduce those platforms.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They already have multi-device game streaming, if anything they are making improvements. You can already stream to your PC, and they use to have it to smart TV's. Maybe they are setting up to reintroduce those platforms.

They are probably going to move to smartphones and tablets too.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honesty don't understand any claim on the implications on this other than they're hiring someone for cloud services. They already have cloud gaming. Anything else is baseless speculation.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Those devices are reaching their end of life support so it is safe to say the resources to maintain those are being moved elsewhere. Their goal from the start was to enable cross device streaming from TV, Smartphone, Tablets and computers and consoles.

Yes. Their goal from the start was broad based. They've since narrowed the scope, essentially moving from 'play on any device' to 'buy our current gen console '.

Also, nothing outdated about the Samsung and Sony smart TV platforms.

I guess we'll see how their strategy changes for the next gen.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Until PC game streaming becomes widely used since it's been around for at least 5 years or so, game streaming will not become the norm. I can see games for phones being streamed using a app instead of people downloading the game to their phone. i don't see people in the masses for hardcore console games streaming for another 5-10 years. Even so it will be selective on the regions where it is more accepted.

Even those stats released for PSNOW are not big numbers compared to the amount of people on psn, downloading games.

It may be where the industry is headed in the long run but the tech has been around for a while now and still has not hit mainstream or made any kind of significant impact where traditional console/pc digital/physical will be less relevant.

People need to start living in reality more and take a look outside of ERA. If NVIDIA/AMD steam/valve can't make a dent after trying countless years how well do you think it will go for consoles?

Until internet data centers for these streaming centers are all around the world and regions outside of EU,UK,US,JAPAN get more stable internet it's still a long ways off if ever overtaking traditional gaming.

Services like Gamepass, and downloadable parts of PSNOW are the current landscape going forward. streaming is a pipe dream that unless has some kind of PC/mainstream device uptick(google, amazon etc) It's not going to magically manifest into the droves that ERA thinks it will.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
ITT people acting like this is new or is somehow not inevitable especially for older games and gaming on mobile devices.

But alright, let's share all those feelings again lmao

Better yet the more streaming options they are means the tech is going to advance faster and faster and the multiple vendors will help keep prices competitive too

Love my PlayStation Now subscription personally

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
We're coming up on 5 years of PS Now being in closed beta, it's been over 4 years since i played watch dogs on my vita in a hotel room in chicago when my ps4 was a couple hundred miles away. this shit isn't new. like yeah sony scaled back PS Now but thats cause it's cheaper to limit the platforms when you're still trying to make the service better. did everyone just straight up forget about the PS4 reveal event?
246152-gai1.jpg');

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
"putting console-quality video games on any device." Phil Spencer said exactly this on E2018

Not to get into 'this', but that exact text has been the Gaikai/SCGEI job ad 'mission statement' blurb for years...

That aside, that general mission has obviously been the end-goal from day one. You don't buy and develop a streaming service to serve your existing devices. The whole point is to bring your content to generic non-proprietary devices.

(They canned support on certain typically proprietary or branded devices, but that was a resource prioritisation move away from devices which I assume were seeing little usage, not a statement of intent regarding that overall mission. At the same time they did that, they opened it up to PC, which is a much larger field of generic devices. But all of these moves have been going on during a phase that can be more or less characterised as a beta/prototyping phase for PSNow. In the future when it has matured, it'll be on more devices again, I expect it might even be available in browsers, and so on.)

Last edited:

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
one day very soon, we will all be hooked up to service based microtransaction filled hells with no way to own the content we purchase or even play them when we want, fully dependent on the server side stability at any point and the wifi, internet providers

heaven help us

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Yes. Their goal from the start was broad based. They've since narrowed the scope, essentially moving from 'play on any device' to 'buy our current gen console '.

Also, nothing outdated about the Samsung and Sony smart TV platforms.

I guess we'll see how their strategy changes for the next gen.
Those devices are outdated. PS Now supported Tizen 2.0 Samsung TVs, support was cut when Tizen 3.0 was released. Those older TVs were not updated to the new Tizen platform and Samsung is currently on Tizen 4.0. Likewise for Sony their TVs were supported up until Android TV 6.0, 7.0 started rolling out around June 2017 for Sony TVs but most apps if not updated will not be compatible. Many people find it difficult to update their smartphones how you figure the update rate for smart TV firmware is?

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
PS Now streaming device for 99$ would be a good option to counter MS cheaper XCould device.

They already tried that a few years ago with the PlayStation TV. It was affordable, compact, and it could also play PS Vita, PSP, and PS1 games locally, in addition to streaming PS3 games from PS Now. Unfortunately, it didn't resonate with a very large audience, and had some issues with app support that they never managed to resolve. (Also, it no longer works with PS Now.)

Sony is welcome to try their hand at this concept again with an improved device that supports more streaming video apps. However, a better strategy would be for Sony to work with the makers of popular streaming video devices like Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and Apple TV to get PS Now apps on those devices.

They did discontinue PS Now apps on those devices. While no official reason was given, it's been speculated that this had to happen because of upgrades on the back end to improve the streaming quality. This would require new video codecs to be developed on the client side, and those devices either aren't powerful enough to run the codecs, or PS Now usage on those devices was so low that it wouldn't be worth the cost of development.

In the meantime, they expanded the service to include PS4 games, and added PC streaming, which (as gofreak said above) means they can reach a much wider audience.

We've heard several other companies state that their goal is to "stream games to every device, everywhere". That is Sony's goal as well. Even without PS3, Vita, smart TVs, etc., Sony is still miles ahead of the competition at the present time.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Regarding this recent "ramp up" for PS Now, if true then it isn't very surprising imo. I always figured they would have to wait until closer to next Gen to ramp up simply because they have to wait on next Gen hardware. For example now they have ps3 and ps4 hardware in their data centers, but if ps5 hardware covers all previous gens then what's the point in heavily investing in more data centers with ps3 and ps4 hardware? Makes more sense to wait for the PS5 hardware to not only use in existing data centers but also for the big expansion. Otherwise it would have just been wasted money flushed down the toilet.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
31435875637_c8d57b2ee8_o_d.png

46375948481_03e1a458fb_o_d.png

Suffice to say I am excited for Remote Play and PS Now future.

More Remote Play actually, I think the next console in PS5 with the massive CPU upgrade which is likely, will take Remote Play as an OK feature that is sometimes reliable and sometimes not into the "I can play my games mainly like this without even seeing my console anymore or the TV it is connected to" territory.

With a wired connection to my AC router transmitting wirelessly to my laptop I am getting that quality. It's probably more impressive if I connect it wired or to my desktop which is wired.

Please Sony with the supposed much easier reality of BC of PS4 on PS5 and new CPU and GPU power, please make Remote Play a central pillar of the console just like eventually streaming will be overall either through remote servers or from local owned consoles.

How amazing it is to be on your PC and access all your PC games and at the same time be accessing a whole library of multiple generations of PS2 games, that is amazing.

And I half want to lie and say "look, PS4 emulation!" Because with these kinds of functions of consoles, Remote Play that is, the necessity of emulation is just so much less. The point is to be able to access your library how and when you want it, and I hope Remote Play is hugely upgraded on PS5.

It is absolutely fantastic and fun to have a PS4 Pro chugging away in the other room while my laptop spends no effort and just streams the content in on the other side, and I can browse or play music in completely separate application and an environment on my PC.