• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Posted by Bundy
In June 2020, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) committed $1 million to invest in and support organizations focused on social justice, education, and economic empowerment to address racial inequality. Today SIE announces four new partnerships with national organizations dedicated to providing economic opportunities for Black communities: Black Girls CODE, The Hidden Genius Project, Gameheads, and Black in Games (BIG).

Our aim is to work with these partners to evoke long-lasting change by improving access to the tech and gaming industry and building a better structure for Black voices to be heard.

Black Girls CODE

Black Girls CODE is aiming to address the racial and gender diversity in STEM – Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics – by providing education for African American girls and young women of color to step into the industry. The organization empowers girls of color, ages 7 to 17, to become innovators in STEM fields, leaders in their communities, and builders of their own futures through exposure to computer science and technology. By developing workshops and after-school programs focused on teaching coding and game design to young girls from underrepresented communities, Black Girls CODE is creating a safe environment for them to unlock their full learning and creative potential.

"Our aim is to train 1 million girls by 2040 and ultimately increase the number of Black women in the computer science space. The support from Sony Interactive Entertainment will allow us to accelerate our efforts and provide further opportunities to introduce Black women as innovators in an industry that has traditionally lagged in its inclusion of women as creators. This partnership helps us change this narrative", says Kimberly Bryant, CEO of Black Girls CODE.

The Hidden Genius Project

Founded in 2012 by five Black male entrepreneurs/technologists who were unnerved by the dramatic juxtaposition between the high unemployment of Black male youth and the plethora of career opportunities within the local technology sector, The Hidden Genius Project trains and mentors Black male youth in technology creation, entrepreneurship and leadership skills to transform their lives and communities. Through their student-centered, project-based approach, The Hidden Genius Project invests in young Black men, gives them access to technology training, and plugs them into an ecosystem of innovation and empowerment.

"The Hidden Genius Project is proud to be in partnership with Sony Interactive Entertainment's PlayStation team. For the past few years, members of Black@PS have been enthusiastic and ambitious in engaging our young people to explore a variety of roles, skills, and opportunities in the technology and gaming industries. This recent investment in our work marks a meaningful evolution in what has been such a rich collaboration to this point. It further empowers us to reach more young people in more places, even more effectively. We are excited to build together over the long term to create even more beneficial experiences and outcomes for our young people." – Brandon Nicholson, Ph.D., Founding Executive Director of The Hidden Genius Project

Gameheads

Gameheads uses video game design, development, and DevOps to engage and train youth of color in the Bay Area for careers in the tech and gaming industries. It specifically aims to train young people, ages 15-25, for the tech ecosystem and prepare them for college, career, and civic life. Through a powerful medium that youth are familiar with and passionate about, students learn how to code, design, manage projects, work in teams, lead, and create interactive projects that tell stories to enrich us all.

"We are thrilled to partner with Sony Interactive Entertainment on this important effort. At Gameheads, we believe that increasing access to gaming and tech industries not only benefits our students but also all of us by making sure that the voices and brilliance of Black youth and youth of color shape our future. To succeed, Black students and students of color need coding skills as well as access to hardware and software, industry exposure, mentorship, and opportunities for employment. With the support of Sony Interactive Entertainment, we'll be able to provide even more up-and-coming Black developers the tools they need to transform the industry — one game at a time." – Damon Packwood, Creator, Executive Director, Gameheads

Black In Gaming

Black in Gaming (BIG) aims to cultivate a global community of diverse professionals by increasing the representation of Pan-African descent within the video game industry. BIG's core pillars focus on industry networking, professional development, education, and cultural awareness in gaming. Every BIG initiative drives toward the goal of expanding the influence of Black game professionals by growing the Black employed presence from 2% to 5% by 2025 (also called "5-in-5").

Cultivating growing talent is key and, while Black Girls CODE, Gameheads, and The Hidden Genius Project cultivate our youth into aspiring professionals, Black In Gaming strives to connect Black people to the existing network of Black professionals and allies while working on the issues to increase a representative black workforce in the existing games industry.

"Our 5-in-5 initiative is the bedrock for our work. In 2020, we set a gaming ecosystem goal to increase Black game developers and professionals' presence from 2% to 5% in just five years. We believe this strategic shift in representation will have a positive impact on game companies and products. We're proud to get Sony Interactive Entertainment's support in order to reach our mission", says Laura Teclamarian, BIG Foundation, Chairwoman of the Board.

These initial partners are part of SIE's commitment to driving long-term change to achieve social justice and race equity, and we will share new strategic partnerships in the future.
These initial partners are part of SIE's commitment to driving long-term change to achieve social justice and race equity, and we will share new strategic partnerships in the future. Beyond supporting these four organizations, SIE continues to engage, support, and celebrate the Black Community through our Black@PlayStation employee network – a community to empower employees and embrace diversity in an inclusive work environment.

www.sie.com

Sony Interactive Entertainment Announces Strategic Partnerships to Support Black Communities

In June 2020, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) committed $1 million to invest in and support organizations focused on social justice, education, and economic empowerment to address racial inequality. Today SIE announces four new partnerships with national organizations dedicated to providing...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Good programs and just writing a check. That is the real impact

Oct 25, 2017
Cool.

But just $1 Million from a giant corporation...?

www.sonymusic.com

SONY MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCES $100 MILLION GLOBAL SOCIAL JUSTICE FUND - Sony Music

New York, June 5, 2020 – Sony Music Group today announced the launch of a $100 million fund to support social justice and anti-racist initiatives around the world. The Company, inclusive of all of its recorded music and content divisions and music publishing company, will immediately begin to...

I know this isn't SIE but just what other parts of their corp did last year.

Being involved in programs like these should lead to more diverse hiring. The stated goal of the programs is to train / build communities / assist with networking.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I'm asking a question calm the hell down.

In the last sentence.
Beyond supporting these four organizations, SIE continues to engage, support, and celebrate the Black Community through our Black@PlayStation employee network – a community to empower employees and embrace diversity in an inclusive work environment.

It's not what you're looking for, but that's the only reference to Sony discussing their own internal work environment.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Great to see that we need more help in the pipelines and strategic partnership help allow for the connections that are needed to help all the way through to the highest parts of these companies.

Oct 27, 2017
This is about opening doors to more people of color, so more can apply to get jobs in the industry. Point blank there's not a lot in the industry so bringing this up is redundant, cynical and has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.
Imma let y'all cook with this cynical goofiness.

In the last sentence.

It's not what you're looking for, but that's the only reference to Sony discussing their own internal work environment.
Thanks.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Thats a good initiative, indeed.

Cool.

But just $1 Million from a giant corporation...?
Yeah, 1 million doesnt sound that much in that regards, i agree, but Sony Music set up a 100 million dollar fund last year. The 1 million dollar is from SIE. The 1 million dollar donation relatively small in comparsion, thats true, but from Sony as a whole, 101 million dollars is a noticeable amount, in my opinion (maybe other divisions within Sony did do something as well, but i'm not 100% sure). And then theres the continued support from SIE now (i have no idea about how much money being put into that though, but i'm guessing its a longer time commitment at least).

EDIT: Already mentioned by others :)

Last edited:

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This is about opening doors to more people of color, so more can apply to get jobs in the industry. Point blank there's not a lot in the industry so bringing this up is redundant, cynical and has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.
I believe the games industry needs MASSIVE pressure to hire more minorities. It's sick how underrepresented black people are in the industry.

Yes this is a decent move, but I'm always going to ask is it truly enough to make a big enough impact. If I come across as cynical and make the thread less pleasant for you to read - I don't really give a damn.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Or like everything to do with the thread. These gestures are great but there's a lot Sony should be doing in the recruiting and hiring area. Same goes for all of these big corporations.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I appreciate that these partners are just initial partners, and that they're committed to doing more than just this.

Continued, long-term engagement that is beyond any periods of heightened, temporary awareness is good.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Giving marginalized communities access to education they wouldn't otherwise get is always a great first step. Hopefully this also means SIE is also looking inward and making the necessary changes to give these people the same opportunities in regards to their actual careers.

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome to see, hopefully it leads to more partnerships and more opportunities for black creators to move up in the game industry.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I believe the games industry needs MASSIVE pressure to hire more minorities. It's sick how underrepresented black people are in the industry. If I come across as cynical and make the thread less pleasant for you to read I don't really give a damn.
I think so as well, and I think to get to the root of the problem you have to invest in more people of color. So more can be interested in gaming, more can apply for industry jobs.. This is what that is. Asking if Sony hired a black executive yet has nothing to do with this.

Yes the game industry needs pressure for minorities but minorities have to be interested in it. These are what the groups focus on and why this is a good investment. Can't see why you can't understand why your drive by was shit.

Im black btw (fkd up I have to say this).
Or like everything to do with the thread. These gestures are great but there's a lot Sony should be doing in the recruiting and hiring area. Same goes for all of these big corporations.
Nah.. I don't care about one black guy in a higher position at Sony. I care about the percentage of PoC going up in the industry as a whole.

Last edited:

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I think so as well, and I think to get to the root of the problem you have to invest in more people of color. So more can be interested in gaming, more can apply for industry jobs.. This is what that is. Asking if Sony hired a black executive yet has nothing to do with this.

Yes the game industry needs pressure for minorities but minorities have to be interested in it. These are what the groups focus on and why this is a good investment. Can't see why you can't understand why your drive by was shit.

Who asked this? And being black has nothing to do with overreacting to a post. Which it seems like you are.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
From my experience, a lot of the gaming industry requires well experience in the industry. It is highly valued. There needs to be more programs to give college kids and people fresh out of college opportunities to begin building their resumes in the industry.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Happy to seem them following through on this. The investment is definitely worth it.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
From my experience, a lot of the gaming industry requires well experience in the industry. It is highly valued. There needs to be more programs to give college kids and people fresh out of college opportunities to begin building their resumes in the industry.

If there is a single tangible next step, its this. The industry is portfoliio based and once peeps have the qualifications they need easier access to that experience to get their feet of the ground; this is a solid start so hopefully they follow through with that.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
If there is a single tangible next step, its this. The industry is portfoliio based and once peeps have the qualifications they need easier access to that experience to get their feet of the ground; this is a solid start so hopefully they follow through with that.
There has to be a push to hire more junior candidates. What they are doing doesn't work without it.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, things aren't going to go anywhere if hiring practices aren't shaken up, although that's entirely at the feet of publishers and developers

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
I have always felt it would be great if Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo/Gaming industry in whole would set up a vocational based education system (similar to older style apprenticeships) where high school leavers could attend school and get work experience at the same time. The problem with waiting to target college /university students is that you have already filtered out potential great candidates who cant afford college or who are put off by the traditional college engineering bias to white male students.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

Nah.. I don't care about one black guy in a higher position at Sony. I care about the percentage of PoC going up in the industry as a whole.
Seems like we care about the same things.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
This is good but, at the same time, 1 million for all the positive press they will receive for this seems like a really good marketing investment considering they spend dozens of millions marketing one single game.

We must be cynical because a lot of the time that's the reason behind this kind of action. I work on environmental issues and the vast majority of environmental announcements from corporations are nothing but green washing; a small step that means nothing in the great scheme of things while the same little step means a lot more to the company in branding and free advertisement.

So ask yourself this: how many high ranking black employees have you seen at Sony CE? And how many could they hire with 1 million? Maybe 10 employees? 20 if we are very generous?

So while the million is great, far greater would be: we will revise our hiring policies because, historically, they might have discriminated against black people.

Hire a few black people and, after a few years, far more money would have been invested from the company into supporting black people in the industry, directly through salaries which is what ultimately puts food on the table, lifts communities and empowers individuals.

One million, one time, while black issues are at the front of world-wide news the most in recent history? Announced on the same day they have an event to reveal new games and sell you stuff? I will remain cynical.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Did you read my post? I'm talking about fixing hiring and recruiting to hire more diverse candidates. You absolutely should care about that.
Yea, you said what I quoted had everything to do with the thread and I disagreed. I think most of are on the same page. I particularly think that investing in the growth of interest in PoC is what's most important. You can't hire or recruit what's not there.

Seems like we care about the same things.
Yup. N sorry if my post came out a lil rough.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I have always felt it would be great if Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo/Gaming industry in whole would set up a vocational based education system (similar to older style apprenticeships) where high school leavers could attend school and get work experience at the same time. The problem with waiting to target college /university students is that you have already filtered out potential great candidates who cant afford college or who are put off by the traditional college engineering bias to white male students.
Also most people on here seem to be focusing on the development side. There is also the side of a regular business operations such as finance/accounting, marketing, HR, etc. that companies also need. One would think that, that side would have a lot more diversity of candidates considering that you don't need to have a background in the industry to be good in those areas.